“True Paradise!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Paradise Island
Sivananda Ashram Yoga Retreat
Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
Reviewed 21 May 2014

I originally planned to go to the Sivananda Ashram for a yoga vacation, but signed up immediately for Grace Van Berkum's Raw Food Retreat after I listened to her give a speech on the health benefits of a plant based diet. The ashram is a beautiful, special place where I could relax, practice yoga two times a day. What a delight when I found out I would be feasting on Grace's delicious healthy, raw recipes and practicing in the kitchen during my vacation. The course was practical and ideal for busy people like me, who want to eat healthy but don't have a lot of time on hand. Grace was wonderful and shared all of her amazing nutrition information with us, and most of all she encouraged us to have fun! Thank you for teaching us from the heart and sharing your passion with us, it changed my life :) Eloisa

Reviewed 20 May 2014

Sivananda Yoga Retreat in the Bahamas is an amazing places to spend a vacation. It's in a small island next to one of most beautiful beaches in the world.

The most important thing for me was to practice yoga and relax. The atmosphere In the retreat is extremely tranquil. The teachers and stuff are professional, so one can have great improvement in the yoga practice. It's a crystal clear feeling, for the mind and soul, to start the day with the morning meditation and end it with Satsang.

I love the natural healthy delicious vegetarian meals, I am sure they are cooked with love.

During my stay at the ashram I attended lectures on mind and spirit, health, all with extremely interesting speakers.

Going to the beach was an amazing experience, relaxing, joyful clear sky, with only a few people around. The water was sparking-brilliant-Turquoise!  All together - a unique magical beach.

I fully recommend the Yoga Retreat as en excellent holiday. It's perfect to clear ones mind, to relax, and to practice yoga. Also it can be excellent time to organise new ideas and stages in life.

I have been in many places during my life, but the Yoga Retreat in the Bahamas is placed in a very special place in my heart.

Norah

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank 555Norah
Reviewed 19 May 2014

I spent 10 days at the Ashram in May, and had an absolutely wonderful stay. I think this is most relaxed and centered I have ever returned from a vacation.

The yoga classes are excellent. They are not as physically-challenging as the vinyasa classes I am used to at home, which is perfect because it meant I could attend 4 hours of yoga per day without too much trouble. The classes include a lot of meditation and breathing work, and focus on holding poses in order to achieve the maximum benefit from each pose. It was a bit too warm to use the beach platform (which is not shaded) during my stay, which was not a big deal because there are two beautiful platforms on the other side of the island (it's a very skinny island) facing the "bay" and Nassau. It doesn't get much better than practicing yoga with a steady ocean breeze.

I ended up liking the Satsangs (meditation, chanting, lecture/music/dance) more than I was expecting to. It is a very nice way to start the morning, and great practice at staying focused during a long (usually 25 minute) meditation. In many ways, the Satsangs were a cultural experience - it was interesting to gain exposure to additional components of the yoga tradition. The afternoon workshops were a nice complement to the Satsangs, as they provided an opportunity to learn more about these traditions.

I stayed in a tent hut (clean, relatively private, great to have a fan and bed frame). The communal bathrooms were generally very clean, and others on the tent platform were quiet and respectful. The food (all vegetarian) was excellent.

I am going to end with a quick reminder - I had a wonderful (5 star) trip, but this is not your typical vacation. The day is relatively regimented (although you have a bit more flexibility as a yoga vacationer), and most people come to have quiet, reflective, spiritual time. I do a lot of camping and traveling, so did not actually find the ashram to be too rustic (the showers have hot water, etc.), but keep in mind that the amenities are rather simple. If you are looking for a vacation that will help you take a step back, relax, and meet others with similar goals, this a perfect vacation for you!

6  Thank Kerry S
Reviewed 19 May 2014

My daughters and I went to the Ashram on a Yoga Vacation and it was absolutely amazing! What a beautiful place - scenery, accommodations and spirit. It was an excellent value with clean rooms (I did not see one bug except for the flying ones!) and good clean healthy food. The true value was in the yoga and meditation practice that was available with a wonderfully supportive and helpful community. I had not done yoga before and I was a little intimated for about a minute! Then I felt so welcome and so supported that I was able to really expand my knowledge and practice and feel totally comfortable. Bring sunscreen because the beach is beautiful and leave the computer, etc at home. There is wifi which I used for periodic check ins with home but aside from that, prepare to leave the world behind and become a part of something amazing!

Room Tip: If you usually need the bathroom in the middle of then night, chose a room close the bathrooms!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Hollie M
Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

I have been there twice so far and can't wait to the next time.
This place always reminds me that our world is beautiful and relaxing me from the daily routine.
I highly recommend any one who wants a peaceful vacation to consider this amazing place!
Can't wait to my next visit that will probably be to the Teachers Training Course.
See you there :)
Gal

Stayed: May 2014
5  Thank Galagadi
Reviewed 16 May 2014

Been there for 2 weeks on july. stayed a the dorms. I was there on a vacation and wanted to get away, practice yoga and relax.The place has a great atmosphere, enjoyed all the yoga and meditation classes, very good food (vegetarian) and excellent value for money. very suitable for people who come to relax and practice yoga, not for people who look for the regular 5 star hotel experience. The rooms are basic but you have everything you need. Recommended!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank giladha
Reviewed 11 May 2014

I have been to the yoga retreat 4 times for the yoga vacation and for other courses as well. I have been in many ashrams around India and Europe. This is a place where you can really get deep relaxation, spiritual progress and unwind from everyday stress and activities. I find that the energy here is very warm and welcoming. The staff are very nice and friendly, the ocean is beautiful, and the water is clean with great healing properties. The daily lectures are given by highly advanced healers and spiritual practicioners and everyone can join and benefit from the intresting information and tools. All daily activities such as yoga exercises , pure vegeterian food, mediation, chanting, selfless service, etc. are directed towards discovering your true Self and Self realisation. I really recommend the ashram for any person who wants to relax and enjoy themselves.

Tip: Plan to stay at least 10-14 days to get full benefits!

2  Thank GoranThetaHealing