“Traveling on a Budget with Family”

Comfort Suites Paradise Island
Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
“Traveling on a Budget with Family”
Reviewed 26 July 2014

I would like to share some of my experiences and things that might help with travelers with kids and that are on a budget. We traveled with our 2 kids, ages 4 and 8 for 9 days and 8 nights. A couple of things that helped us with staying on a budget:

#1 We stayed at Comfort Suites Inn to save money and get the free access to Atlantis resort. They have free continental breakfast. It is a pretty decent breaksfast. Nothing fancy. You get what you need: scrambled eggs, sausages, toast, bagels, cream cheese, jams, cereals, juices and some danish pastries. If you wake up early enough, on some days, they do serve bacon but that only lasts for the first couple of hours. By 9am, which is when we usually came down for breakfast, there was no more left. They do serve hash almost every other day. This gets refilled, unlike the bacon. Staff is great.

#2 On our second day here, we headed out for the grocery store. By the way, the taxi cost us $16 each way for the 4 of us. So, do the math...everytime we left Paradise Island, it cost a lot for taxi. I wish they would rent out bicycles! It's really not that far if you had bikes. I mean the island is 7 miles wide and 21 miles long. About the stores...we were told of 2 stores: Solomon and Super Value. We ended up going to Super Value. Moms, be ready to fork out double the price for everything. I was sticker price shocked! I've read some reviews regarding this so I went to Target before heading out for the trip and bought a few snacks with us. I really wished I bought more. A big bag of chips will cost you nearly $7. Oscar Mayer Ham of about 10 pieces cost me $8. So, if you are on a budget, try to buy most of your food in the US before heading out here. If you don't mind paying these prices, then....no need.

#3 If you like your booze, try to go across the street from the hotel to the spirits shop and just buy your booze there. It's way cheaper. However, if that's pushing it, you can always hit the hotel's happy hour deals between 4-6pm to end your day.

#4 Bring a cooler or a back pack to stow away your food when you head out to Atlantis. Yes, you are allowed to bring in your own food and drinks. If you do not want to pay a lot for food, bring your own drinks and snacks...and you can spend the entire day in Atlantis. This was probably the best thing we did. The kids just came up ashore to snack on food and drink juice.

#5 For dinner, we ended up sending my husband to go grab food over the bridge so that we didn't have to pay the extra for the kids. My husband and I love to walk around and are pretty active. So, sometimes, he would run over the bridge to get his workout and head back on a taxi. The humidy didn't sit well with our kids and they ended up wanting to stay in the hotel instead of walking around. There is some cheap food on Paradise Island. Across from the hotel is Anthony's and they have a cheese pizza for $20 or at the Marina Shopping Village.

Overall, our family enjoyed the trip. I think we could have cut down our trip to about 7 days total instead of 9 and be fine with it. It was just a bit too expensive for us to stay for a long period.

7 Thank cheche r
comfortsuitespi, General Manager at Comfort Suites Paradise Island, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Comfort Suites Paradise Island. We really appreciate having you as our guests.
We are happy to see that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us.
we do look forward to having you as our guests again in the near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (607)
  • Greek first
Wescosville, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 24 July 2014

We visited Comfort Suites back in June and we had the best trip we have ever had. From the reviews I read before our trip this vacation was everything we had hoped it would be. The customer service at Comfort Suites was way better than anywhere at Atlantis. I would definitly come back to Comfort Suites the next time we come to the Bahamas. From customer service to hotel cleanliness this hotel was a great place to stay for our vacation.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank kwgm12
comfortsuitespi, Director of Sales at Comfort Suites Paradise Island, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Thank you for your comments. We appreciate the fact that you took the time out to share your stay. We look forward to having you visit Comfort Suites Paradise Island again.

Baldwin
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Thanks so much to all the friendly people at the Comfort Suites Paradise Island. Awesome people at the hotel and the breakfast each morning was delicious and the breakfast area was always spotless. We would not consider staying anywhere else while on Paradise Island. Special thanks to Taija in reservations for taking good care our details and honoring rate discount. You guys are the best. Hope to see you soon. Tony B

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank TonyBBaldwin
We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your Vacation in Paradise. We will continue to work at ensuring our guests' stay at Comfort Suites Paradise Island is comfortable and memorable.

long beach,NY
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Just got back from 5 great days in Paradise Island, staying at the Comfort Suites. We stayed at Atlantis in the past, and decided to give Comfort Suites a try. Some of the negative reviews had me questioning myself. SO glad we made the decision to stay there.
Upon check in, everyone was friendly, and helpful. I took the suggestions that I read on TripAdvisor, and requested a room on the 2nd floor, near the exit to Atlantis. Good move. The rooms was clean and comfortable, with 2 double beds, and another section with a couch, desk and table. Having a refrigerator in the room is an added bonus.
Breakfast was good, especially considering it was included in the price. Everything in Atlantis is very pricey, so, you realize the value of this breakfast. We also walked across the street and picked up food on Dunkin Donuts for a change.
Atlantis is right across the street !! SO close. I'm not sure what the negative comments are about this. If you walk out the door to "Atlantis", you are right across the street from the entrance. You have to go to Royal Towers for your wristbands to Atlantis. We had 2 families, at most, on line ahead of us. If you were a guest at Atlantis and went to their kiosks, the lines were much longer.
I'm also wondering about the hill that people complained about. If you don't use the "Atlantis exit" and you walk around to the front of the hotel, yes, there is a hill. Easy solution, walk the way they suggest and there is not a hill.
A long walk ? Yes, but, people need to realize that Atlantis is huge. Everything there is a long walk. Comfort Suites remains right across the street.
Along with full access to Atlantis, you also get a card from Comfort Suites that allows you to charge food and beverages at Atlantis to your room at Comfort Suites.
I got up earlier than my daughter, went to get my Atlantis wristband, continued on to get towels and lounges. If you want to be near the center of things, lounges and umbrellas go early. Easy access to towels (as many as you want) and towel bins all around the area to drop off after use.
I would comeback to Comfort Suites and join my daughter for breakfast.
Free wifi is another plus. I think I saw that it is $25 per day at Atlantis.
I was not able to get it to work well on my phone, but, there were computers near the front desk,so, I used them when needed.
We had a 530 flight out. Check out is 11am, but, we were able to get a late checkout at noon. We came back to the room from Atlantis, checked our bags in a secure room, with someone working there. There is a courtesy room available to shower and change.
One negative that I read that I agree with, the water pressure is low. It was good in the courtesy room, so, it may vary on rooms.
YES, stay at Comfort Suites, if you want to save some money. We will be back again.

Room Tip: Request a room near the Atlantis exit, but, not too close to the door. It can get a bit noisy there.
11 Thank lbeach6
comfortsuitespi, Director of Sales at Comfort Suites Paradise Island, responded to this review, 24 July 2014

Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We stayed at Comfort Suites the week of July 16 2014.
We booked through cheapcarribean.com and they covered all the incidental fees (i.e., maid, electricity charge, gratuity…)

It was great and the quality of the rooms was similar to a Holiday Inn or a Fairfield Inn. The bed was firm, but even. The linens super white and clean. We stayed in room 595, which was far opposite end from atlantis, but it was quiet, clean and our two kids (10 & 9) never complained about walking ( But we do walk often anyway).

Know this, food is expensive at Paradise Island ( budget $50 p/person per day for lunch and dinner). Also its a country full of nice people who are being cursed and demanded from all day long. I saw a woman verbally abuse an employee because she didn't get her plate fast enough. Get the island vibe, slow down, and enjoy paradise.

We didn't eat at Crusoe's, because someone there said that it was really slow, but Johnny Rockets up the road had burgers with fries for 8-12 bucks.

We weren't fans of the breakfast line, but where have you ever been that 100% of the guests show up for the free breakfast. Its an expensive island, so its (free breakfast) worth the wait.

One day we caught the boat ferry ($4 each) into town. It was safe and super cool.
There was an Indian restaurant we ate at that was amazing ( but kinda pricey-$112 4people)

We used Cheryl taxi SERVCE. They picked us up with a cool little sign. $40 bucks to CI Suites.
On the departure, they forgot about us, but CI Suites sent us to the airport in a fancy cab for $40, so all was well.On the way in the cab stopped at a grocery store, and we bought sandwich meat/bread/snacks. Bottled water was $43 for a case!
Remember any restaurant or food stand at Atlantis gives free iced water in a cup.

Also like anywhere else, lock away cash, electronics and documents in the safe.

One thing we noticed is that Atlantis is HUGE.

Expect to walk several miles per day in very warm tropical conditions. It may be that all the negative issues people have stem from the fact that they are not conditioned for the physical activity. That made for some very grumpy ( sweaty) tourists.

Thanks Comfort Suites, it was an amazing trip and the kids loved the stay.
Thanks to the great bar tender who made us Pina coladas and even a small
non-alcoholic size for the kids.
Also the security guy who had a good answer for everything.

Room Tip: If you want quiet, stay on the opposite end ( tall bldg). If you want to walk 100yards less, stay o...
8 Thank Nellandis
We are happy that you enjoyed your Vacation in Paradise. We will continue to work at ensuring our guests' stay at Comfort Suites Paradise Island is comfortable and memorable.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Our family of three stayed at Comfort Suites in April for 4 days. Check in process was fairly quick and front office staff were friendly. This hotel is comparable to a basic Best Western motel in the United States so don't expect much. It is clean but there are no frills. They even skimp on the amount of soap they give you. There were a lot of choices at the breakfast buffet--eggs, sausage, cereal, waffles, toast, coffee, juices. The sausage and eggs were good but the staff had trouble keeping up with the pace of refilling the trays. One day, there was no more coffee and the waitress kept promising that they were brewing more; but it never came. The quality of the fruit was low grade everyday. Although this hotel is 'close' to Atlantis, it is quite a bit of a hike if you're going to use the beach or water activities at Atlantis. Be sure Comfort Suites records the correct number of people in your party on the pink card because Atlantis will only give wristbands for the number of people on the card. My husband had to walk all the way back to Comfort Suites for them to correct their mistake and no apologies on their part. We wasted about an hour because of this. Bring good shoes for walking. If you can afford it, stay at Atlantis.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Jenison123439
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us at the Comfort Suites Paradise Island. We do appreciate having you as our guests.
We do apologize for the fact that your husband had to walk all the way back to the hotel to get his pink card for access to Atlantis. Yes, every guests needs to have a pink card from us. The is for controls reasons with the Atlantis facility. Our Front Desk associate should have registered your entire party and ensure the issue of the pink cards accordingly at check-in. We have put new measures in place for the replenishing of breakfast items such as coffee so that no other guests would have to experience what you did.
We do hope that you would consider staying with us again in the near future.
NEW YORK
Reviewed 21 July 2014

My husband & myself celebrated his birthday in the Bahamas this year. 3 nights, 4 days. After much research & TA reading, we decided that the Comfort Suites was the way to go. They have reasonable room rates, and include breakfast. Yes, not the fanciest breakfast, but we are not picky people, so we were happy with what they offered.

Hotel: Clean, friendly & helpful staff, and most importantly, it is literally across the street from Atlantis. We were shocked @ how close we were!I figured out why people write about hidden charges. If you book your hotel room through a 3rd party, you see a huge difference in price as opposed to the price the Comfort Suites offers online on their direct website. If you book with them directly, the price you are given, includes ALL of the taxes & surcharges already. The other websites do not include this. So when I checked in & out, there were no surprises fees!!

Food & drinks: Aside from breakfast, we never ate @ the hotel. We ate @ Anthony's one night, food was good, portions were large. Spent about $100, and that included one appetizer, two entrees, two drinks. We ate @ the Bahamian Club, and the food was delicious. Bill came out to about $200, and that included two drinks, two entrees & they sang my husband happy birthday which was the best part for us.

Transportation: We used Cheryl Ferguson, many TA reviews mentioned her. The transfers were on time, with someone waiting for us @ the airport, mind you, our flight landed 1/2 early. Cars were clean, and drivers were friendly. $40 to hotel (that included a stop to the super market), and $35 back to airport.

And now.... Atlantis:

Atlantis is probably one of the best times we have ever had as adults. It isn't just for children, even though it is geared towards family. We had the most amazing time! There is something for everyone, and the facilities are wonderful. I read so many reviews where people say everything is so expensive, so I went in thinking the worse. However, if you live in a big city, that is what you pay @ Atlantis. We are New Yorkers, we live in NYC, and we paid NYC prices @ Atlantis, so honestly, we were ok with the prices. We ordered lunch everyday @ the resort, with a few cocktails, and averaged about $75 a day, which for us really wasn't that bad. I will say this, I can see why most people think it's expensive especially if you are traveling with a large group. Things add up quickly. The resort is cash free, so you either charge things to the room or pay with a credit card. The walk to get your bracelet for the day is a bit tedious, but then again, it's a small price to pay & you get some exercise. The resort itself is enormous, but what my husband and I did was rent a small locker for the day ($9), do the popular water slides in the morning (9am), and then hung out at one of the pools. The beach was beautiful & you can see 5 feet down, and still see your toes!!

Tips:
Bring a collapsible cooler ON WHEELS from home. There is a lot of walking involved, and to lug around a heavy cooler is exhausting. Buy munchies @ the market or bring them from home. We went to market on the way to the hotel, purchased a bottle of Vodka for $19, and some Coronas 3 for $6.99 (now that's expensive), cranberry juice ($5), bottled water & chips. I will say that had we not done this, we probably would of spent a lot more @ Atlantis, so I'm glad we did that.

All in all, you can most definitely have an amazing vacation here that will not break the bank. It has been one of the best trips we have ever been on & will undoubtedly return!! The Comfort Suites & Atlantis gets an "A" in our book :)

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank MatyC517
Thank you for your wonderful remarks. I have shared them with our employees. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay, and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Paradise Island
Atlantis, Royal Towers, Autograph Collection
The Reef Atlantis, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph...
#11 of 14 in Paradise Island
3.5 of 5 bubbles 3,742 reviews
The Cove Atlantis, Autograph Collection
Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive
Hotel Riu Palace Paradise Island
Hotel Riu Palace Paradise Island
#13 of 14 in Paradise Island
3.5 of 5 bubbles 4,704 reviews

Been to Comfort Suites Paradise Island? Share your experiences!