“Quietest Beach on Paradise Island”

Paradise Island Beach Club
Ranked #13 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
Reviewed 9 November 2013

(long review but thorough)
Paradise Island Beach Club is in the shadow of Atlantis but by far the quietest beach location. It is a small resort right on the beach with two pools, a gym, minimart, beachside grill, and very spacious rooms. The resort is well maintained and with friendly though typical “island time” staff. Other than Wednesday’s “Bahaman Night” and Saturday’s a la cart BBQ, there is no on-site dinner. The grill is open for lunch and we heard great feedback from other guests. They have happy hour every day with 2 for 1 heavily poured drinks (not watered down). I highly recommend the Goombay Bash. The gym is adequate, with some weights, treadmills, bikes, and elliptical, although it took the staff 3 days to refill the water, even when requested, 2 days in a row. It’s decent enough for a week, but needs a general cleaning in my opinion. Bring your towel from your room as there are none in the gym.
THE ROOMS…were recently updated and I must say, it’s the most storage we’ve ever had in a timeshare and outlets were everywhere to charge your electronics. The free wifi is spotty and not high speed but adequate for our needs. We were able to get a signal from our room no problem. It had three flat screen TVs in a two bedroom unit with the usual American stations, CBS, NBC, etc. The kitchen is well stocked including detergent and coffee filters. There is a community laundry room with newer washers and dryers for only $1.50 a load so you can pack light. The beds are VERY hard, and pillows are flat. Towels exchanged daily. Another reviewer complained of scratchy towels. Looks like they are transitioning to new ones since at first we had a mix of scratchy towels and fluffy ones. By the third day they were all good quality.
The mini mart on site has a decent selection with prices in line with the market down the road. In general EVERYTHING IS THE BAHAMAS IS PRETTY EXPENSIVE. We packed a lot of dry goods such as oatmeal, granola bars, etc but I still spent $140 on perishables and a bottle of liquor. To give perspective a carton of ice cream is $14.
THE BEACH is stunning. We never had a problem getting beach or pool lounges any time of day. Unless there are high winds, umbrellas are also available. No need to do the earlier wake up to save a chair. Joseph will have you covered.
A MUST KNOW…there is a $18 (total for week) timeshare exchange tax, $100 electricity fee, and a 4% charge for using your credit card to settle the bill. We’ve seen similar fees on other islands so we weren’t surprised. The resort does not take American Express but we found most of the restaurants and shops nearer to the Atlantis do. The taxis, straw market and many of the restaurants at the Fish Fry are cash only. It’s an even exchange and all except US dollars and give change in US.
SURROUNDING AREA…Like I said it is a quiet resort and there is very little directly next to the resort. We’re a pretty fit family and had no issue walking to the restaurants and shops on Paradise Island near the Atlantis marina which is about a mile to a mile and a half away. Guests with mobility issues will need to rely on taxis about $10 each way if not crossing into Nassau. Crossing over into Nassau to eat or shop will cost you more.
We didn’t do excursions in Bahamas since the water was choppy most of the week and we were trying to keep costs down. We did however take the resorts free bikes out (available until 5pm) and walked around the gorgeous gardens a block away. At the Straw Market near the cruise ship terminal we found a couple of items but overall it wasn’t worth the special trip. It is made up of many, many stalls and most of them are selling the exact same items. If you don’t like tight places or vendors hounding you to buy their items, than this is not the place for you. But its great if you’re a champion haggler.
TAXIS…. We needed to take a taxi into Nassau to visit the Straw Market and then we made the long 20 minute walk to the Fish Fry. It was worth the visit but we prefer the quiet beach over the “cruise ship” happy town. We are glad we did not rent a car, since we are not use to driving on the other side of the road and parking is limited in Nassau. Cab ride from Airport is about $ 40.00ish depending on the driver.
RESTAURANTS…There is a limited amount of restaurants on Paradise Island. We were able to find enough affordable places to eat in walking distance but we had to do our research. Ask other guests (most have been here repeatedly) for recommendations, not the staff. The restaurants within Atlantis are expensive and quite frankly the tourist trap type of establishments you’ll find in Las Vegas, New York, Disney and Atlantic City. I highly recommend Montaqu Gardens (in Nassau) where they pick you up and return you to your resort for free. Violas and Anthony’s are were also very good, within walking distance and serve breakfast/lunch/dinner. All three were budget and family friendly with good service. You can see my reviews of them separately. Note all restaurants include a 15% gratuity directly onto the bill.
DRESS…In general it is very casual down here but men should have a collared shirt or at least one with sleeves for the Atlantis restaurants.
In summary… we would definitely come back to the island and this resort even with knowing the limited eating establishments directly surrounding the resort itself. We had a great time.

Room Tip: If mobility issues, note that there are no elevators to the third floor rooms. Plus our room had sma...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
21  Thank tomkatfine

Reviewed 5 September 2013

this will be our third year of ownership at this little gem of a timeshare property. Not too far from the hustle and bustle of Atlantis, but upon entering its gates the serenity overtakes You. The room have recently been updated and are spacious and well equipped.The mini mart has moved to a larger space and you can find most things that you need there. The also has been updated small, but you should be able to get in a good workout. Bikes are also available should you desire to get some exercise beyond the front gate.m The beach is by far the nicest on the island. Have been to the the Atlantis beaches and can't compare to the size of PIBC. There are two pools on the property, the one nearest the ocean is where the restaurant is which serves a variety of foods theoughtoutthe day. A beautiful deck overlooks the ocean is where we spend most of our days looking out on the bluest of blue oceans. The only downside if you can call it that is that a taxi is needed to get to most places you might want to go, the upside is the peacefulness of your daily environment. Come and enjoy!!!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Donna S
Reviewed 3 September 2013

We stayed at Paradise Island Beach Club in July, 2013 on an RCI exchange. We had a unit on the second floor, with a dedicated set of stairs. There was a small balcony at the front door on the garden side with a chaise lounge, and a balcony out the living room door. The balcony had two towel racks, four chairs, and a dining table. One side of the balcony rail needed some paint, and the sun shade was broken.

About a week before we arrived I sent an e-mail to “Reservations” with two simple questions. I didn’t receive a response, so I forwarded the e-mail to the “General Manager.” The e-mail links are on the www.mypibc.com website. To this day I never received a response from either person.

When we arrived at the resort no one offered to help us with our bags. I would have happily paid someone to carry our bags to our second floor unit, but I guess if you want help you have to be aggressive about asking for it.

The unit has two tile steps going down from the kitchen to the living room, and two steps going up from the master bedroom to the master bath. Watch out for the steps in the bathroom at night! They are full steps and quite a hazard in the dark. My best suggestion is to bring a small flashlight and leave it on near the stairs so that you don’t forget in the middle of the night that the stairs are there.

One night around 2 a.m. we discovered that there was no running water in the unit. My husband had seen the guard at the front gate just a few minutes earlier, so we called the front desk, and also called “Security.” There was no answer at either number. Apparently you are on your own if you have a real emergency during the night.

The electricity went out for a couple hours one afternoon, and the front desk said it was island-wide.

The unit wasn’t perfect, but the beachfront location is fantastic. From the edge of the resort there is the most beautiful view in both directions. Atlantis is about a 20 minute strenuous walk on the sand, or you can head out of the resort at the front entrance and take the sidewalk for a much easier 20 minute walk. About a 10 minute walk on the sidewalk (halfway to Atlantis) is the Versaille Gardens. This was a beautiful place for photos.

There is a convenience store around the side of the resort that is open to the public. They have most everything you would need to make some basic meals in your condo, and there is a full selection of liquor. We really liked the homemade banana bread that was for sale by the cash register.

We had groceries delivered by www.foodstore2go.com. This worked out really well. Our only issue was that I didn’t realize you have to call the company to tell them you have arrived in the Bahamas. If you call as soon as you walk in the door of your unit it should all work out.

The shared laundry room was mostly OK, but the dryer wasn’t functioning 100%.

The frosty drinks at the bar were huge and strong. Drink up quick, or it will melt everywhere!

The maid was not accommodating at all when I asked if she could come back later one day. Essentially you get one chance at the maid service, and that’s it. Upon your departure you must strip the beds, load the dishwasher, remove the trash, etc. It was annoying to be doing all these things while the maids sat on the wall outside the unit having a nice conversation.

We were charged upon departure for electricity, which we expected. The weird surprise was the timeshare exchange fee. I can’t remember exactly, but it was either $17 or $19 depending on if you exchanged with RCI or II. This was the first time I had encountered an exchange fee that was charged by a resort.

Overall, this place was what I expected. The unit isn’t great, but we had an ocean view from our balcony, and it was a one minute walk to the edge of one of the most beautiful beaches. I have no regrets about the trip, but I won’t be back to this particular resort.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank Traveler8899
Reviewed 26 August 2013

We have been traveling to the Bahamas for the past 10+ years using time share. This year we decided to try something new and traded into PIBC through RCI exchange and were pleasantly surprised. The place is small but has old world/ rustic charm. Cabbage beach is beautiful. The 2 bedroom unit was clean and roomy. A great place to bring your family and relax. We met several great families who own time shares at the place who love it and come back every year. Our children 10 and 7 really enjoyed the pool and beach plus the family friendly atmosphere. The restaurant and food store on site have everything you would need if you did not want to leave the club. We hope to return.

• Stayed: August 2013
6  Thank Moonbeams94
Reviewed 23 August 2013

The beach experience at the club was spectacular. Just bring yourself and you get a great lounge chair and a high quality umbrella. Leave your belongings there and take a break for lunch or even of you want to take a splash in the pool. The food is above average and the service is excellent. I have to boys, 4 and 5 years old, and are average swimmers and they had no problem handling the ocean surf. Explain my one day: staring at the beach in the morning, the sand is awesome; went back to the villa to cool off, drank a beer; went back to beach and stayed until lunch; had lunch poolside, food is above average, drank a beer at the swim up bar; stayed at pool ( most points it is three feet which was great for my children); relaxed on the beautiful sectional couch, drank a beer; got ready for dinner and very meal was not disappointing. This place is great, my parents have had this time sharing for 23 years- never missed!

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank Anthony F
Reviewed 23 August 2013 via mobile

First off, families have been coming back to the Beach Club since 1985, that says a lot. The pool bar is stocked and the food is very good. During our stay we ate at many places but have to say the "off the grill" menu was great. The view is amazing with peaceful serenity. The beach and water are calm with minimal hassle from local "sales". It's a short walk on the beach to snorkels cove. A 20 minute beach walk to Atlantis. You can use the bicycles to tour the island. There are beach chairs and umbrellas for your usage. Tip Joe and he'll have them set up as soon as he sees you. If you are a 20% tipper, bring $1's, everything is gratuity charged 15% for you.

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank Hockeynut73
Reviewed 16 July 2013

We have visited The Bahamas more often than I can remember, and on a couple of occasions, have stayed at Paradise Harbour & Marina and during that stay, visited the beach at PARADISE ISLAND BEACH CLUB property. As we enjoyed the beach, we were looking forward to actually staying at the property. As our vacation plans were last minute, availability in the Caribbean was limited, and even though we only needed one bedroom, we were happy to find availability at PIBC, even using more points (we were exchanging through RCI.)

When we arrived, even though our reservation confirmation was for a specific Unit, we were given Unit 29. Later, after experiencing the stairs a few times, I asked for a ground floor unit, as I have back problems - my request was not granted, as we were told there were no other rooms available.

When we finally had our luggage in the room and had a chance to look around, we were extremely disappointed; the unit, while it was clean, needs refurbishing and the appliances, especially the refrigerator which was rusting, need replacing. The patio and the furniture needed cleaning and the screen door was ripped and off the track.

Later that evening we went out and when we got back, we could not open the door. After numerous failed attempts, we called Security who opened the door with a key, but then it could not be locked! He told us to report it next morning. As you can imagine, we were very uncomfortable going to bed with an unlocked door, as the chain was not sturdy enough to keep out intruders - we tried to put a chair under the door handle! However, the next day, the lock was replaced. I assume a log is kept of events (especially if Security is involved), but not once did anyone contact us to discuss this, or to apologize for the inconvenience!

Next issue - when we later inquired about the Internet, we were surprised when we were advised there was a fee! The online information said it was complimentary. The response from the Front Desk was they had repeatedly informed "them" (I assume they meant RCI), that was incorrect and "they" have never changed it.

Our next issue was MICE in the Unit, yes mice, or a mouse!! After being there for about 2-3 days, I finally realized that the scratching/rustling noises we were continuously hearing was coming from under the dishwasher! As we had only heard it at night, we assumed it may have been coming from another apartment, but realized we were wrong, when I got up one night and went into the kitchen. I opened the dishwasher and slammed it, and the noise stopped. Of course it later started again when I was back in the bedroom. The next day I told the Front Desk staff, who said it would "be taken care of." We continued hearing it, and again reported it to the front desk. I even told the room attendants, and left notes on the kitchen floor where there were signs of food crumbs in a corner. We felt it was pointless to get angry and insist on being given another room, because of the previous response that there was no availability. We just made sure we kept our bedroom door closed!

Of concern, though less of an issue, was the roughness of the towels and even the sheets, which had "burrs" on them, evidence of overuse; I realize it may not be cost-efficient to use fabric softener, but it may be advisable for guests' comforts. In spite of sending two emails to the Manager, I have had no response. However, RCI was kind enough to try to rectify our bad experience.

Letitia at the Front Desk always had a smile, while the others, though not rude, were more business-like. The location requires that you have a car. If you just plan on relaxing on the beach, good choice; if you want activities, night life, etc., stay elsewhere. However, I am reluctant to return there.

Room Tip: Ground floor, so you don't have to lift your luggage up the stairs. However, the maintenance st...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple