“Amazing Vacation... Something for everyone!”

Sunrise Beach Clubs and Villas
Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
Reading, Pennsylvania
“Amazing Vacation... Something for everyone!”
Reviewed 26 June 2011

My family (Parents and 3 adult children) stayed 6 nights at Sunrise Beach Clubs and Villas this June. From the start the staff was friendly and accommodating. We changed our travel plans at the last minute and even though there was not a 2-bedroom suite available for the first night, they suggested a one-bedroom suite the first night and a 2-bedroom suite for the remaining nights. The suites were clean and cozy with a completely furnished kitchen, multiple televisions and a nice little porch out back. There was easy access to the beautiful beach where you can easily walk to Atlantis if you like the commercial activities or you can choose to walk the other direction towards more remote beaches, which I recommend. The water was calm, warm and crystal-clear and the view truly qualifies the island for the name Paradise Island. There are opportunities to snorkel, parasail or jet ski, however we were not harassed by vendors at any point.
The restaurant Viola's, which is right on site, has delicious, reasonably-priced food. The staff there is very friendly, especially the bartender Mitadys. She was very nice and makes you feel right at home. She worked very hard to make our stay a good one and I highly recommend going to Salsa Night on Thursdays where she is an instructor. We had a blast! Mitadys is the type of employee any resort would be proud to have!
Overall, this was a great vacation! It exceeded our expectations in every way and I truly recommend that you stay at Sunrise for your next Bahamian vacation!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Corvettet2

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
Austin
Reviewed 7 June 2011

I was really expecting more from this place given the great reviews on this site and as a result I may have set the bar too high coming in.

Starting with the bad, our room was really dated and had a bad smell to it. A lot of the guests seemed to be smokers so maybe this wouldn't bother them as much, but it was some kind of overpowering mothball smell. Also, there were outdoor lights right outside of our room and no curtains so it was a tad on the bright side while trying to sleep. The room we had was right next to the public beach access so there was a lot of foot traffic (Think, the movie Summer Rental) and as soon as you hit the beach you are peppered with people trying to get you to rent a jet ski.

On a positive note, the pool and restaurant are pretty decent and we were so put off by the beach right outside this hotel that we learned too late that if you walk a few hundred meters down its much more secluded. Also Atlantis and Marina Village are within walking distance which is nice.

The service was good and really friendly, but I wouldn't stay here again. Maybe we just had a bad room. If that's the case, steer clear of room #102.

Room Tip: Avoid room #102
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank HookEmFish
SBVSunLover, Owner's Representative at Sunrise Beach Clubs and Villas, responded to this review, 16 June 2011
We thank you for helping us to recognize that the new window treatments in room #102 are not sufficient to darken the room properly. We put our good maintenance staff on this as soon as your review posted. Additionally, all rooms are no smoking, so the source of the smell was put on the investigation list.

It is always a treat to read that our fine staff is “good and friendly” and that Viola’s restaurant continues to be a pleasurable experience. We are sorry that the villa did not meet your expectations and look forward to you giving us another try in the future where all your expectations will be met.
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 12 May 2011

We rented a condo from vrbo.com and couldn't be happier with our choice. It was quiet and clean and just minutes from Atlantis. We had all the amenities of home and saved hundreds by having a kitchen and BBQ. We spent a few days at Atlantis, but had the ability to go 'home' and relax. Nice pool, beach access, nice staff. This has been one of our best vacations yet!

• Stayed May 2011
5 Thank lindseyMacTravel
Fair Lawn, New Jersey
Reviewed 11 May 2011

I would highly recommend the Sunrise for anyone. My fiance and I rented 3 villa 208, 202 and 204 for our family and friends to stay for the week for our wedding. All 3 villas were fabulous, they had everything you needed for your vacation. We had our ceremony performed on the beach there at Sunrise and everything turned out better than I could ever imagine. The staff were very attentive to our needs. Chantisse helped me coordinate everything that I need from the Reverend, Floral, photographer and places to dine for our reception. Jackson made a huge impression on my now husband and friends. The food at Violas is great although service was a little slow but I guess that is the way while you are vacation.
Taxi service is available to take you anywhere you need to go including the supermarket and liquor store and they will wait while you shop.
Atlantis is a 5 minute walk and has many restaurants and plenty of shopping. There is a ferry that takes you to the main island for $3 and you can do plenty more shopping at a lower cost for souviners at the straw market. Be prepared to be harassed as you shop but many are willing to drop their prices to make a sale so definitely dont pay what they ask they will negotiate.
All in all it was a fabulous week and I would highly recommend the Sunrise Beach Villas

Room Tip: All 3 room 202, 204 and 208 fabulous!!!!!
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank shannonl75
Maryland
Reviewed 10 May 2011

I choose Sunrise beach Villa's because the price was reasonable for PI, distance to Atlantis and Trip Advisor reviews. I arranged a trip for 11 women and was nervous as it's hard to please every one, but almost everyone loved it (One is a self confessed hotel snob :) For the most part our expectations were met, I was not expecting the Ritz. What we got was a european style hotel, on the beach, with clean attractive looking apartments.
We had villa 201, a 2 bed and villa 204, a 3 bed. 201 is on ground floor, had a private patio area, nice furnishings, 2 bathroooms. I loved the villa,my only complaint would be that the shower area could do with renovating, but did love the big shower in my room. It's not a big villa, but 4 women were more than comfortable in it, would be good for small family. The rest of the group was in 204. Nice size villa, 2 rooms on main level and another loft style room upstairs. This loft arrangement wasn't great as it was warm up there and felt dark. Would be OK for kids, plenty of room to add a roll away along with the bed up there. This room had a problem with house keeping not coming back one day. But front desk credited them for that at check out.
There are 2 pool areas, the one closest to the beach you can only access if you are staying in a 2 bed or more. FYI you need a key to access this area and our keys rarely worked efficiently, PIA. When we were there the pools were very quiet. The beach is just a short stroll down some steps. I loved the beach but it's not especially relaxing, it reminded me of beaches in Europe, lot's of people, activities, beach bar music. If you want quieter I suggest making a right on the beach and just keep going. There are people selling all kinds of crap and offering jet skis and banana boat rides. They can become annoying, but if I wanted quiet I knew I could have gone bit further up. There are guys renting beach chairs and umbrellas, they are very efficient and will put them where ever you want. Bargain with them, it's a way of life there. If you go left on the beach and keep walking you will come to Atlantis. Absolute MUST DO, beach massage. Best $60 I spent on the island. I suggest going in the AM, before beach bar kicks in and cruise passengers show up.
Atlantis was only a 10 minute walk, and 11 girls walked it every night in heels. We walked through Atlantis after lunch one day and it was packed full of kids. If I go back with my kids I would consider Atlantis but I loved the villas so much I can't wait to take my kids back.
Biggest dislikes - Violas is as slow as some have reported, only ate breakfast there once as it was a PIA. PI is very expensive to buy groceries, PI is very expensive in general.
I will definatly go back to Sunrise, loved it.

Room Tip: Call the hotel and ask questions about rooms
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank flymesomewheregreat
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 29 April 2011

Let me start by saying, most of the poor reviews you see here are old and some are really way too nit-picky. We had the best time ever, we were treated great and the ENTIRE staff at the Sunrise was the absolute best! We chose to stay in Villa 208 (two bedroom villa) and it was fabulous...clean, spacious and "bug free". Although some folks that maybe didn't know, it's a tropical island...there are bugs, lizards, etc. although I only saw geckoes. This is something you really gotta live with unless an Alaskan vacation is for you where there are NO bugs. It was definitely worth the money...speaking of which...we actually walked through the Atlantis one night after eating dinner there and I am so glad we didn't choose to stay at the Atlantis...way, way, way overpriced, stuck up people and really unruly teenagers. I experience that in New York, I don't need that when I'm vacationing. Also the time we travelled was Spring Break which can be chaotic - this was a quieter, no hotel feel stay which was much better. No crowds or no noisy neighbors; great for families for 1/2 the price.

It is an expensive island as all of the places we ate and drank at were pricey but it is what it is but my family's worth it. Although, we did take full advantage of having a kitchen, I did make some breakfasts and dinners. It is also best to have your cab driver take you to the supermarket to pick up essentials like bottled water (the water on the island tastes different than our), chips, snacks or whatever. But not everything was expensive...there was Viola's, of course, which is located at the Sunrise. Nice selection of breakfast, lunch and dinner and a better selection of inexpensive drinks and drink specials. Archie's Beach Bar, located at the steps of the exit of the Sunrise onto the beach, also has really nice drink prices and beer bucket specials.

We actually looked into the three and four bedroom villas for our stay next year...we will definitely be back.

Pros... Great beaches, great people, perfect weather. You gotta go to Blue Lagoon Island, if not for the dolphin experience ($98/per person for the encounter or $198/per person for the swim with them), then just for the beach day ($35/per person) on that island. It's definitely worth the trip. They have water sports, a bar with great drinks and it's a very quiet private island. No beach sales people selling, trinkets, flutes, drinks, Jet Ski rides, etc. (which was slightly annoying but they have to do their business, too, I guess) like on the beaches of Nassau.

Although there are tons of cab drivers, we used one for our trips to downtown, the market, the airport, etc. Our cab driver was Otis Tarpley (taxi #280) 565-8485. This man was knowledgeable, polite and a really nice guy. He was available most of our stay and it was a pleasure traveling with him.

Cons...All of the nonsensical negative reviews of the Sunrise.

P.S. We realized that the beach trinkets we purchased from the beach ladies which were allegedly "handmade" were at the souvenir shops downtown for 1/4 the price...not cool. But you live and learn. Overall, Sunrise gives you the best bang for your buck…and then some!

Room Tip: Do your research...it helps.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
6 Thank BklynFamilyof4
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed 29 April 2011

We would whole-heartedly recommend Sunrise Beach Club and Villas for a short or longer stay (ours was 4 days)!!! We wanted to be relatively near Atlantis for the kids (teenagers) but at the same time a bit distanced to feel more private and secluded (away from the maddening crowd). Sunrise offered the best of both worlds, and the immediate access to Cabbage Beach really made it a special treat for us. Really attractive and charming place from the imaginative exterior landscaping to the interior well maintained, nicely decorated, and very clean apartments. Really high level of appointments and equipment available, from the kitchen appliances to the flat screen TV's, Weber BBQ, computer and printer available, great bathrooms, etc. It really did feel like being at home!! Staff was incredibly welcoming, nice/friendly, and accomodating. Viola's is equally special and everything it's written up to be -- lively, good reasonably priced food, great staff (very efficient -- we had an impromptu dinner for 9 one evening and they accomodated us perfectly). All in all, we could not find one criticism or negative thing to say about Sunrise, and would return in an instant. it was the perfect place to chill out after the daily frenzy of Atlantis, and we think really made the Paradise Island part of our Bahamas trip such a special, enjoyable, and memorable experience.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
Atlantis, Royal Towers, Autograph Collection
The Reef Atlantis, Autograph Collection
British Colonial Hilton Nassau
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph...
#11 of 14 in Paradise Island
The Cove Atlantis, Autograph Collection

Been to Sunrise Beach Clubs and Villas? Share your experiences!