“Wonderful place!”

Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
St. Louis, MO area
“Wonderful place!”
Reviewed 19 June 2010

I took two 18 year old girls to the Sunrise as a graduation present. We all loved it.

Beach: The beach is gorgeous, the water crystal-clear. The Sunrise beach area is generally quiet and uncrowded, but there was just enough activity to keep the girls entertained -- parasailing, banana boats and jet skis are available right near the Sunrise beach if you want them. Archie's beach bar is right there, and various vendors stroll by offering drinks, hair braiding, jewelery, etc. None of them were ever pushy or intrusive, though... quite the opposite. Polite and in some cases entertaining! The surf was a bit rough a couple days, and fairly calm a couple days. If you bring small children, keep that in mind.

Property & Room: The grounds are beautiful -- the pictures on the website are for real. Pools are lovely. We stayed in 206, which was very nice and clean. It had a washer/dryer which was very convenient. The front desk supplies fresh beach towels, but a few times it was more convenient to just wash a few out. Bathrooms had hair dryers, soap, and shampoo.. The only strange thing -- and I think this may be the case with many of the rooms -- is that one of the bathrooms was RIGHT off the kitchen. That's a bit yucky in my book! The kitchen was well stocked with dishes, utenjsils, dishwashing detergent, etc. There were no paper towels. We happened to have some charcoal for the grill that another guest had left. I left some laundry detergent behind. Basically, outside of the basic kitchen & bath supplies, you will get whatever someone else left behind.

Food: Definitely, stop by City Market and pick up some groceries for the kitchen. I found the prices to be reasonable. More than the States, but not that much more. Viola's is right on site and has decent bar food and a nice, laid back open air atmosphere. Other than that, there are a few reaonable places nearby but not much. There is a Quizno's a few blocks away. Atlantis has some very nice, expensive places.

Service: Chantisee and Alexa at the front desk are great. They will help you with whatever you need. Note, if you charge your hotel bill, there is no currency service fee. It's apparently charged to your card in USD.

Area: As mentioned, the beach is gorgeous. One of the entrances to Atlantis is down the block. Other than Atlantis, there's not a lot of "stuff" in the immediate area. It's generally a quiet and upscale area. We felt very safe to walk around at any hour. All the locals we met (and you will meet them at Viola's) were great. Very nice folks.

Airport & travel: We left Nassau on a Saturday and would have been OK to get to the airport 2 hours ahead of time. However, it wasn't very crowded that day, so you may need more time. It seems like the lines and checkpoints to get out of there will never end. There was even a last check AFTER we were were cleared and at the gate waiting area, right as we entered the plane. We saw one poor guy get pulled aside and searched twice... once at the "regular" x-ray area and then again boarding the plane. Same guy, same stuff. Go figure.

All in all, we had a fantastic stay at the Sunrise! I would definitely go there again.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank KathyP-61

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
Texas
Reviewed 16 June 2010

We were on a cruise with about 60 family members and friends. We were in the Bahamas from noon on Friday until 6 a.m. Saturday, so we decided to rent a villa so that we would have some place to go when not swimming. I am so glad that we chose Sunrise Villas. Chantisse (front desk at Sunrise Villas) was so awesome. She was very helpful in making suggestions on where to go, what to eat, etc. Everything that we asked for, including a bar-b-q grill and floaties, were available in our villa. She took time to send pictures of the villa so we would know what to expect and we were not disappointed. It was clean and just wonderful. If you have an opportunity to visit Paradise Island, I hope you are lucky enough to stay and play.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank Shannon911
Baltimore, MD
Reviewed 9 June 2010

My wife and I decided to stay at Sunrise Beach Villas after reading the reviews. We were looking for a reasonably priced, convenient place to the beach and Atlantis. We stayed in a 0ne bedroom apartment near the pool, which was clean and fit our needs. We followed the advise of others and had our cab driver stop at a market (I believe it was called City Market) on the way in from the airport. The prices were a bit high, but not too bad. We had lunch the first day at Viola's, where the food was pretty good, but the service was on the slow side. Some of the other tables had problems with their bills. The other days we ate breakfast and lunch at the room, which saved a bit of $. The beach was great - clean, not too crowded with water sports, chairs and umbrellas available if needed. The last day got a bit crowded when the cruise ship brought their people to the beach. The beach bar was convenient and reasonably priced. They had a good variety which we sampled during our time on the beach. The location was just a short walk from Atlantis, where we went every evening. We had never been to Atlantis before and were extremely impressed, although fortunately we didn't have to pay to stay there. We have a 12 year old special needs child who would have loved all of the activities there. We hope to bring him back there in the next few years, where it is much more kid friendly. We had dinner one night at The Green Parrot - which was fair, Arthur's at the nearby shopping center - which was above average and Bimini Road in Atlantis Marina Village - which we liked. The staff at Sunrise Beach office was very helpful, the housekeeping staff was fine and there seemed to be sufficient security around the grounds. We were told to arrive at the airport between 2 1/2 - 3 hours before our flight, although it only took 15 minutes to get through check-in and customs. We would recommend this place to others and would stay here again if we come back without our son.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Mdmink
Virginia
Reviewed 11 May 2010

There are so many wonderful things I can say about this property, the people, the location and the simplicity of it all. On my vacations my only request to to make it simple and clean, which it was. I do not want to be crowded or over booked with activities and at SRBC you can find that. If you need activity you can go to Atlantis one evening and check out the property, as my husband and I did. We stopped at the Mesa Grille for dinner which was superb and then strolled home to our quite little room. On Wed and Fri they had Karaoke at Viola's which we attended, did not participate although Jackson did try his best to recruit us, but thoroughly enjoyed it. You can hear it from the rooms, but just barely. Was more amusement than annoyance. You could always find a place to sit under a palm tree to be alone or stroll into Viola's sit at the bar and have a drink and chat with the locals. Truly the best of both worlds. If there was any negative, it was just decor, it was a bit dated on the units that face the front pool. I looked at a few when I first checked in and picked my favorite. They were very patient with me:) But all were very clean and after my 1st pina colada and my stress subsided it did not matter much at all. All the ladies that worked there were so kind, greeted me with a smile every day and helped with my every reques. Even odd requests like finding a great place to get a tattoo and helping me print my design. It was I am so happy with my decision to stay here and look forward to going back with my whole family next summer.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank aat20
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed 10 April 2010

My husband and I wanted to have a destination wedding that catered to divers, but was also easy to access from the east coast of the U.S. had a number of other excursions for family and friends with different interests (fishing, shopping, nightlife, casinos, etc.). We chose Paradise Island over Mexico and got what we wanted, except we forgot to think about the importance of value, service, feeling welcomed and helpfulness. There were 50 guests in our party with several potential vacation or wedding referrals, and nobody plans to return to Sunrise Beach Club or the Bahamas again. This is a place that runs on tourism/hospitality, but someone forgot to teach the workers. As one guest said "the Bahamians have a not-totally-disguised disdain for the tourists." It does put a pall over a trip, especially when it's your wedding.

The grounds of Sunrise Beach Club are very pretty. The best part of the property is Viola's - the centrally located restaurant and bar that made running into people and meeting up really convenient and easy. The problem is it's very hard to get any service, and trying to order a second round, or food? Forget it. It is possible to wait up to 30 minutes for a check even after you ask 3 different people. No strategy to circumvent any of this worked, which makes sense since they include 15% gratuity in each check. This is an island that does not distinguish between nor seem to realize the definition of a service fee, a gratuity and a tip.

The beach is nice, small, but definitely not private. You can get a chair from a beach vendor for $15, or a chair + umbrella for $30 - Sunrise Beach Club doesn't offer these. Archie's is a fun little beach shack with drinks, which makes a good bachelorette day on the beach if you want something like that - the food and beverage manager is always around and she let us have arm bands so we could just pay one bill instead of separately. It was like an afternoon being all inclusive.

The rooms are superficially nice looking but some are better than others. It would be nice if the brochure put room numbers on the pictures. The phone was broken in our room for two days and nobody relayed messages to us, there was only decaf coffee in some, the layout of several villas are just weird - we lived in a renovated attic as the master bedroom. Little things are broken here and there, like bedroom shades. Tiny things that aren't a big deal, but wouldn't happen in the place next door, at the same room cost.

That's the biggest deal - Sunrise charges an enormous amount of money for their rooms, but it's not as nice as Comfort Suites down the block, or of course Atlantis, Riu, etc. Yes, it's smaller, no it's not all-inclusive, but it's still a villa on the beach and if you're going to pay over $300 a night, you'd at least like your phone to work, the people to be friendly and to get a little bit of service at the restaurant instead of 100% attitude, tip included. Not a good value for the money.

Don't have your wedding there. It's pretty enough and the cozy, central location of things is very appealing, but the office manager seems to forget things she's agreed to (multiple times) and they won't remember negotiations you've made, particularly financial, and they won't accept the items in writing proving it that they sent you. Get everything in writing even though they do all business over the phone. Stand your ground and perhaps you will get the package deal they promised, but at a major inconvenience to your guests. When I got there and tried to allay relations with her, she said "we won't hold it against you." There was plenty of unprofessional, lazy and irresponsible behavior by the representatives of Sunrise that I did not experience from the other resorts when I almost had to move the whole wedding 3 weeks out. This is not the experience anyone wants, but rest assured they won't "hold it against you."

• Stayed March 2010
4 Thank SSL2010
SBVSunLover, Owner's Representative at Sunrise Beach Clubs and Villas, responded to this review, 21 April 2010
Dear Newlywed, Of everything outlined in your review, we are most concerned that you felt the staff was not up to par. The compliments we receive on our staff are nearly innumerable. We have taken steps to see what special circumstance may have caused you to feel that our service was less than top notch, as we pride ourselves on quality service and are proud to have a staff which receives such consistently positive reviews.

We are in the process of editing our web page to show pictures of each villa, as they are very distinct in character. Thank you for taking the time to tell us what information we need to provide in our continued effort to present an accurate picture to potential guests.
Arlington, VA
Reviewed 5 April 2010

We spent our spring break at Sunrise Beach Villas. We chose this place because we wanted to be on Paradise Island on the beach and away from the hustle and bustle of downtown Nassau or the more crowded Cable Beach. We also prefer smaller, less hotel-y places like Atlantis or Comfort Suites. We had a one-bedroom 2-story villa overlooking the pool. Our unit (as do all) had a full kitchen, which we loved because it meant not having to eat out for every meal. Overall, our experience at Sunrise was great. Highlights included: walking out our door to the pool; short walk to beautiful Cabbage Beach; walking to nearby restaurants for dinner (especially Columbus Tavern); walking to the Cloisters (we love to walk and like that so much was accessible by foot); friendly service from staff; daily maid service; and well-equipped kitchen. Low-lights: Place shows some wear and tear though nothing that turned us off; while it's nice to have a bar/restaurant on-site, the food was mediocre at best and the service at the restaurant was severely lacking (long wait for food and drink and mistaken orders); loud music plays at the bar 3 nights/week making it difficult to sleep until close to mid-night. None of the negatives were enough to cause major problems for us. Overall, very good experience.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank Anibelle
Ohio
Reviewed 2 April 2010

Family of 3 went on Spring Beak Vacation
THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW:
--Expect to pay about $35 each way to get to and from the airport
--STOP and get groceries on your way to the hotel--groceries anywhere else are expensive! Take the extra 15 minutes and save a TON of money later.
--Buy your own alcohol and beverages rather than buy from bar--remember, there is a 15% gratuity on everything you purchase. Think of it like a tax, or having Obama as president.
--Get to the airport at LEAST 3 hours prior to your departure--It takes AT LEAST an hour to get through customs and I watched many people miss their flight.

Pros:
--Beach was great
--Pools are well taken care of, property is beautiful
--Violas has some good food
--Management is friendly and nice
--Within Walking distance of everything
--Place is relaxing, pools were not crowded, beach not crowded either

Cons:
--Room was out-dated
--Found a cockroach about 3 inches long in the toothbrush holder--my wife nearly passed out. We had to boil our toothbrushes to get through the week. We told the maid and she seemed to think it was not a big deal. Was unsettling to sleep or walk around the rest of the trip due to the thought of finding another insect.
--Added gratuity to my bill at the end of the trip for housekeeping. Did not expect this and they do not tell you about it.
--Icemaker in freezer did not work. Asked maintainence about it and they said that it wasn't hooked up for some reason. They then told me just get ice from the bar. Not a big deal, but we made or our drinks so I had to make many trip to the bar.

Overall, it was a nice place but some improvement is needed to the room we stayed in, Room 206. Maybe some of the other rooms are nicer,but this one just didnt meet my expectations.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank coachmitch2003
Atlantis, Royal Towers, Autograph Collection
The Reef Atlantis, Autograph Collection
British Colonial Hilton Nassau
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph...
#11 of 14 in Paradise Island
The Cove Atlantis, Autograph Collection

Been to Sunrise Beach Clubs and Villas? Share your experiences!