“Not a good wedding locale” 2 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Sunrise Beach Clubs and Villas
Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
Enterprise, Alabama
“Not a good wedding locale”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2010

I traveled here for a wedding in October. Did not stay overnight. Nice bar and pretty location. Right on the beach making it a prefect place to have a wedding. However, guests who stay during this time, may not be of the highest class. One particular guest staying near one of the pools threatened to kill me and called me a b#$ch for sticking my foot in "her pool." I thought she was a complete psycho. The buildings themselves seem a little outdated, but the location and bar staff were great, although I would never visit again.

• Stayed October 2010
3 Thank Vacati0ner101

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2010

These Villas are what you would dream about. The people, service and atmosphere go above and beyond what I ever expected. There isn't one thing I could say that is negative about Paradise Island. My recommendation is to stay at least a week to enjoy all of the island. We stopped and picked up groceries on the way to the Villas. By the way, they dont sell seafood at the store but found out their is a boat that comes in right over the bridge at 3:00 daily and sells it fresh. They hosted a traditional bahamian wedding while I was there and it was beautiful. I fell in love with the Bahamas.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends
3 Thank beahips
Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Sunrise Beach Villas from Saturday, September 4 – Monday, September 13. It was our first trip to the Bahamas and we had an amazing time.

Food/Groceries
We brought some groceries (tortillas, cereal, bagels, flatbread, crackers, beef jerky, peanut butter, jelly, canned chicken, canned tuna, Pringles, mayo, spices, tobacco, foil, instant rice, etc.) with us and also packed an insulated lunch cooler with cheese and spray butter. We didn’t know we could each check two bags until we called American Airlines the evening before we left, or we would have brought even more groceries. If we go back, we will probably pack a foam cooler and check that.

The first full day we were there we paid a taxi driver to take us to the dock (over the bridge, off the island), grocery store (City Market), and liquor store. I think his name was Ricardo, and I should have gotten his cab number because he was great. He only charged us $40, even after tacking on a free tour of the island. We bought snapper, grouper, and lobster on the dock for $60 total (the huge lobster was only $20) and they filleted the fish for us. The taxi driver helped negotiate so they wouldn’t gouge us. Apparently it helped that we went on Sunday, because most people buy their fish before church service on Sunday morning, so they want to get rid of the remaining fish. We bought about $100 worth of groceries at City Market (bread, steaks, milk, cheese, yogurt, potatoes, apples, bananas, salad dressing, lettuce, tomatoes, soda, OJ, canned green beans, etc.). The groceries were expensive, but they weren’t too bad if you stayed away from the boxed stuff (like crackers and cereal). We got a huge block of cheddar cheese for $3.50.

We ate most of our meals in the condo. We borrowed a charcoal grill one night to cook the steak and lobster (lesson learned, the charcoal grill doesn’t heat up enough to cook lobster). We baked the grouper and snapper in the oven in foil packets with some lowfat Caesar dressing, spices, etc.

We ate at Anthony’s twice, once for lunch and once for dinner. The lunch was amazing. I got the veggie pizza, and my husband also got pizza (with meat and other accompaniments). We shared a huge 46-oz fruity alcohol drink that was a bootie kicker (and only $13.95, so that was a pretty good deal) and the conch salad (really yummy and refreshing). We were really happy with our meal, so we went back for dinner one night. We ordered the veggie pizza again, only this time it came with completely different vegetables, and it was loaded with carrots. We immediately said something to the waitress, and she argued that carrots were supposed to come on the pizza and this chef made it differently and he was a better chef. We scraped the carrots off and ate the pizza (which didn’t have the regular veggies on it that we wanted) and grumbled. We looked at the menu on our way out, and sure enough, there were no carrots on the pizza. We complained to the manager, and she said we should have said something before we ate our food. When we countered that the waitress basically argued with us, the manager pretty much said “too bad.” So we were really unhappy with how they handled that situation, and I wish there was something I could do (other than write negatively about them in my review). It just really gets my blood boiling when people have horrible customer service like that. I mean, can you really argue with a customer about CARROTS on a pizza? Barf.

We ate at Viola’s, the “on-campus” bar, a few times at night. The conch fritters were amazing (kind of like a crab cake/apple fritter combo… although that sounds weird… I promise they are great!). We also got a burger or two (good bar food) and I had a salad one night because I was craving veggies.

Last but not least, we stopped at Ben and Jerry’s (near the Atlantis) once for a treat. I know they have it in the states and all, but it’s hard to pass up ice cream. My husband got the brownie sundae for $10, which was a much better deal (and much tastier) than my $7 medium ice cream scoop. They also sell the Vermonster, which is on my bucket list (but I didn’t want to ruin my vacation with a huge tummy ache).

Alcohol
There is a liquor store in the little mall near Anthony’s, and it’s 0.4 miles from the condos. We bought our wine (1.5 liters of Frontera cab and chardonnay) there for about $12 each, which was a fantastic deal. The liquor store was closed when we got there on Saturday night, and we bought two 0.75 liter bottles of Frontera at the little convenience store for $15 each (and those were half the size). So the liquor store is a much better deal!

Our credit card got a workout at Viola’s, because that was where we did most of our nighttime drinking. We were fans of the Skittles shot ($3 or $3.50). The drinks cost more than they do in Fort Worth but less than they do in a place like Los Angeles. The pours are pretty good too.

We stayed away from beer for the most part, because that is the only alcohol where they gouge you. It’s about $45-60 for a 24-pack, and it’s about $4.50 for a bottle at the bar. It’s nice to drink beer at the beach, but we just brought some plastic Gatorade water bottles with us, and we mixed drinks in those to save some money.

I wasn’t a big fan of Anthony’s Beach bar. I ordered a Pina Colada (about $6.50) and they mixed the virgin part of the drink and then poured it over a shot of rum.

Booze Cruise
We had a great time on the booze cruise. The snorkeling was a little lame (the water was choppy, and the fish only came out to eat the food), but it was a great deal for $60 per person. They will pick you up (included in the $60) and you get lunch (chicken, ribs, rice, and corn) and drinks. The fruity drinks were a little too sweet for me, so we stuck with rum and diet coke. The dance party (second half of the booze cruise) was a lot of fun… all sorts of people dancing on top of the boat.

Atlantis
My husband and I like to play blackjack, and we are stingy accountants, so we like the $5 tables (which were a little further back from the $10 tables). The drink service was a little slow at times, but it was free, so no complaints. Usually tip money results in frequent visits from the cocktail waitress. They had premium alcohol, or at least that’s what they led me to believe. Those drinks were STRONG. A few crown and diets, and I was good to go.

We tried to walk around the hotel, but if you’re not a guest, you are pretty limited. They have employees out by the doors asking to see your key. That gets old after about 10 seconds, but I can’t fault them for doing their job. Make sure you walk over to the yachts and check those out. We saw one with a helicopter on top, and I realized how crazy it must be to have money coming out of your ears like that.

The great thing about Sunrise is that it’s very close to the Atlantis, but you get the peace and quiet of having your own condo. It was a great location.

Other Random Things
*You can run or walk along the sidewalk of the main drag. I’m used to running long distances, and 3 miles kicked my bootie in the 90+ temps and high humidity. It’s pretty though… especially the area near the Ocean Club.
*Buy the big 5-gallon jugs of water ($6.50) from the front desk. We went through 4 of those, and it was well worth it.
*If you have a maintenance issue, contact the front desk and don’t be afraid to follow-up. We had some issues with our toilet and we should have been a little more proactive about getting it fixed. We had an issue with our AC that was resolved right away though.
*Go to karaoke (Wednesday and Friday nights) and have plenty to drink. That’s an order.
*Negotiate your cab fare upfront. Better yet, have someone from Sunrise negotiate it for you.
*The locals were VERY friendly. We read some mixed reviews about attitudes and whatnot, but everyone (Sunrise employees, taxi drivers, etc.) was super nice.
*You can watch football or other sports games on the regular channels (streaming from Florida) in the room or at Viola’s. However, they didn’t have the TCU vs Oregon State game, and I think that was on a semi-normal channel. The sports book at Atlantis should have most of the games on TV though.
*Our bedroom had no windows (I’m not sure if all of the rooms are set-up like that?) and it was the most AMAZING sleep ever. I never sleep in late, but we slept until 10-12 each day. It was glorious.
*The massage on the beach ($35 for 30 min, $60 for 60 min) was wonderful and definitely worth the money!
*Wireless internet is about $11/day, but the Sunrise staff let me check my email on the front desk computer for free.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
9 Thank trinicole
Blainville, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2010

Stayed in 12A at Sunrise from July 16-30 and it was fantastic. Plenty of room all you need is there, yes as my wife found out even an iron,lol. Myself, wife and 3 teens wondered around for 14 days eventually winding down to a slow pace.
Close to Atlantis, did the tour and it is quite the place.
Rented jet skis for the kids from Dino, very rude and tried to screw my 15 y/o daughter out of 10-15 minutes, dont give this guy your business, he must learn how to be polite. See a chap by the name of Rufus, he is fair.
Went on the powerboat adventure, fed the Iguanas on a first stop and very exciting to snorkel the reef knowing the sharks and rays are swimming around with you, food was great and it was worth every dime, excellent day with the family, challenge your faith and courage, you will be happy you did. If you are a group of 5 or more you will get a 15% discount.
Took a ride with Captain Dave to Sandy Toes on Rose Island where T.J. took great care of us, food was good, nice get away.
Carmine's was a great place to eat, Doug the chef was spot on that evening, plates are huge so get ready to share really enjoyed it.
Straw market is fun (bargain), while there go to Senor frogs.
Taxis are in abundance, $20.00 will get you just about anywhere.
Super Value and City Market are good places to get food which can be expensive depending on what you buy. Some dry goods are costlier as are milk and OJ. Meats, eggs are reasonable as are vegetables and fruits. As everyone says bring a box or two of snack bars for they are step at $7-8 a box of 5. Load up on groceries before you come in you will be happy you did, it will feel more like home with the fridge full.
Go to the Fish fry after visiting the Adastra zoo, then you can take the number 10 Jitney or the #1 back to the bridge and potentially walk back over the bridge.
The marina village is nice to walk around, stop at Ben and Jerrys and look at the beautiful yachts on your way to or from the casino.
Take a walk to the Cloisters very nice gardens.
Viola's is a great place to hang on site, the locals are great to chat with and if you like Kaoroke, let your hair down twice a week.
The two pools are great and a fun place at days end to share your day with other guest.
All in all I cant say enough about our vacation and am looking forward to my next visit.

Dave from Montreal has the Bahama Blues,lol.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
6 Thank BahamaBlues
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2010

Great place to stay if you prefer space and peace and quiet. The ambiance is very nice, from the architecture to the amenities to the location on the beach. The room was quite clean, and the bed very comfortable. My one 'nit' is that there was never much hot water (room 102) and that the facility did not offer beach umbrellas (like everything else, they are available for an inflated price from a beach vendor). All of the staff were very friendly and helpful.

If you stay in the '100' numbered rooms, you will not have access to the central courtyard and pool, but the 2nd pool next to Viola's is very nice with an attached kiddie pool and a 'cave' that our youngsters loved.

While it is a bit of a walk in hot weather, one can trek to Atlantis, Marina shops, store, etc without paying for a cab.

The beach is beautiful and the waves quite gentle when we were there, with very soft sand and the clear water looking almost like turquoise glass.

Recommendations: (1) Take lots of good sunscreen. Water and sunscreen are ridiculously priced on Paradise Island. (2) Cab fare adds up quick. If you want to take excursions to New Providence, rent a scooter or car - if you can handle driving left-hand and turnstiles (I saw a few very close calls). (3) Watch out for the jetski hawkers. They are supposed to stay out of the Sunrise's private beach area but often do not. I had words with one who kept telling swimmers to move out of the way and eventually the Port Authority had to come in and talk with them. (4) The bar is nice and relaxed - the drinks stong and the food tasty. Try the tacos. I had good service throughout and a good time talking to the residents who hang out there.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank vic370
St. Louis, MO area
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2010

I took two 18 year old girls to the Sunrise as a graduation present. We all loved it.

Beach: The beach is gorgeous, the water crystal-clear. The Sunrise beach area is generally quiet and uncrowded, but there was just enough activity to keep the girls entertained -- parasailing, banana boats and jet skis are available right near the Sunrise beach if you want them. Archie's beach bar is right there, and various vendors stroll by offering drinks, hair braiding, jewelery, etc. None of them were ever pushy or intrusive, though... quite the opposite. Polite and in some cases entertaining! The surf was a bit rough a couple days, and fairly calm a couple days. If you bring small children, keep that in mind.

Property & Room: The grounds are beautiful -- the pictures on the website are for real. Pools are lovely. We stayed in 206, which was very nice and clean. It had a washer/dryer which was very convenient. The front desk supplies fresh beach towels, but a few times it was more convenient to just wash a few out. Bathrooms had hair dryers, soap, and shampoo.. The only strange thing -- and I think this may be the case with many of the rooms -- is that one of the bathrooms was RIGHT off the kitchen. That's a bit yucky in my book! The kitchen was well stocked with dishes, utenjsils, dishwashing detergent, etc. There were no paper towels. We happened to have some charcoal for the grill that another guest had left. I left some laundry detergent behind. Basically, outside of the basic kitchen & bath supplies, you will get whatever someone else left behind.

Food: Definitely, stop by City Market and pick up some groceries for the kitchen. I found the prices to be reasonable. More than the States, but not that much more. Viola's is right on site and has decent bar food and a nice, laid back open air atmosphere. Other than that, there are a few reaonable places nearby but not much. There is a Quizno's a few blocks away. Atlantis has some very nice, expensive places.

Service: Chantisee and Alexa at the front desk are great. They will help you with whatever you need. Note, if you charge your hotel bill, there is no currency service fee. It's apparently charged to your card in USD.

Area: As mentioned, the beach is gorgeous. One of the entrances to Atlantis is down the block. Other than Atlantis, there's not a lot of "stuff" in the immediate area. It's generally a quiet and upscale area. We felt very safe to walk around at any hour. All the locals we met (and you will meet them at Viola's) were great. Very nice folks.

Airport & travel: We left Nassau on a Saturday and would have been OK to get to the airport 2 hours ahead of time. However, it wasn't very crowded that day, so you may need more time. It seems like the lines and checkpoints to get out of there will never end. There was even a last check AFTER we were were cleared and at the gate waiting area, right as we entered the plane. We saw one poor guy get pulled aside and searched twice... once at the "regular" x-ray area and then again boarding the plane. Same guy, same stuff. Go figure.

All in all, we had a fantastic stay at the Sunrise! I would definitely go there again.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank KathyP-61
Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2010

We were on a cruise with about 60 family members and friends. We were in the Bahamas from noon on Friday until 6 a.m. Saturday, so we decided to rent a villa so that we would have some place to go when not swimming. I am so glad that we chose Sunrise Villas. Chantisse (front desk at Sunrise Villas) was so awesome. She was very helpful in making suggestions on where to go, what to eat, etc. Everything that we asked for, including a bar-b-q grill and floaties, were available in our villa. She took time to send pictures of the villa so we would know what to expect and we were not disappointed. It was clean and just wonderful. If you have an opportunity to visit Paradise Island, I hope you are lucky enough to stay and play.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
The Reef Atlantis, Autograph Collection
British Colonial Hilton Nassau
Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive
The Cove Atlantis, Autograph Collection

Been to Sunrise Beach Clubs and Villas? Share your experiences!