“Here's what to expect...”

Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph Collection
Ranked #11 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
A TripAdvisor Member
“Here's what to expect...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2003

Ok, after searching sites and talking to travel agents, we settled on the Atlantis for our vacation this year. We usually do the Vegas thing but wanted something different and tropical. That's exactly what we got. It was a beautiful place with excellent pools, beaches and activities. We read all the reviews on here and were franky a little scared of what to expect. Many people said the food was bad, the service stunk and there was nothing to do. I wish I lived their exciting lives because we were impressed with the place! The food wasn't bad, the service was actually great and there was a lot to do.
(I think the servers will treat you the way you treat them and if you are demanding and a pain in the butt, they are not going out of their way to treat you like a king. But if you say hello, and are friendly from the start, they will go out of their way to help. Says something about some of these reviewers, huh?) The place is pricy, there is no doubt about that. But if you did any research before going, you would know that and plan accordingly. We (2 of us) didn't get a mean plan and don't eat 3 squares a day usually so we spent about $40/day on a large mid afternoon meal and snaked later in the evening. No big deal and we ended up saving money. We spent most of the time at the Royal Baths pool since we were complimentarily upgraded from the Coral to the Royal towers and it was closer with less kids. We did explore the other pools too and enjoyed them all. Lazy River was a MUST DO. So relaxing! It was absolutely beautiful. The theater was open with complimentary movies so we did that in the evening. (Not big drinkers here...) We walked the grounds in the evening and took in the atlantic breeze. It was very relaxing. I guess my point is, know what to expect and you will not be disappointed. Tips: Pack a suitcase with snacks. Be nice and smile at the workers and it will go very far for you. Take the tour of the grounds when you get there. It's free and will help you plan out the week. Go to the Dig. Take in a free movie. Relax, you're on vacation and relinquish a little control, isn't that what it's all about?

20 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (674)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2003

We stayed at Atlantis in mid-Sept. 2003. Stayed in the Coral Towers, not the main hotel. Grounds were beautiful, staff was friendly, aquariums amazing, slides fun, pool and beach nice. Just keep in mind you are paying for the resort and not for the room. Room was very average and somewhat worn. Water pressure was horrible. Felt like I was showering under a sink faucet each morning. Just expected a little more of the rooms at a "luxury" resort. EVERYTHING is expensive and night life is minimal. Very sheltered which can be seen as good or bad from the rest of the Bahamian lifestyle. Probably good for families or maybe couples but don't go and expect to party.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2003

My Husband and our family went to Paradise Island Sept. 14-21, we own a week at Harbourside @ Atlantis and there were 8 of us altogether. Let me start by pointing out that I regularly read the reviews posted on this site prior to going anywhere and I must say that for any of you that say the food is reasonably priced, your last name must be Trump.
The food is incredibly overpriced and bad quality. The buffets are $30 pp for lunch and $40 pp for dinner kids are 1/2 price. Lets talk about service though, because we all know that when we go on vacation, we expect to overpay for food but we expect the service to be good. In the Bahamas, i believe they don't know the meaning of customer service.
You're treated like THEY are doing you a favor for serving you crappy overpriced food with an attitude. It takes forever and a day to get something to drink and you can just forget about getting any refills.
When ever you do get your food you better hope it's what you wanted and how you wanted it because they NEVER check back with you. If you do manage to flag someone over, when you let them know that something is wrong with your meal the look on their face is displeasing to say the least. The worst part is that at every eating/drinking establishment there is a 15% automatic tipping fee included. While i firmly belive that tipping is necessary not only for economic reasons but to give credit where credit is due i find it absurd to just add it on. Where is their incentive to do a good job? If they had to Work for their tips they would go broke or quickly change their attititude. Taxi cabs can be expensive for a large group. We also visited Breezes because we had a free night there. We were there maybe 2 hours and then left. The place was awful. The rooms smelled like a roach infested motel, the drinks were crappy and nothing seemed like on the brochures. Atlantis is a very beautiful hotel, but the bad service does leave a very bad taste in your mouth. Just be prepared to spend a fortune for bad food and bad service and you'll be okay.

16 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travellers are raving about these Paradise Island hotels

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2003

Anybody that has anything bad to say about the Atlantis Resort is absolutely crazyyyy!!! The Hotel was Jaw-Droppingly Beautiful!!! There are noooo words!

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Seattle, WA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2003

Just returned this week and had a wonderful stay. Great destination, great hotel, staff very accommodating, restaurants all good. Don't be in a hurry and service will be fine. Would return in a heartbeat.

3 Thank Like8s
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2003

First of all I am very shocked, angry and dissapointed about a review a read ("A great dissapointment"). I can't even understand way someone could say those awful things about the most beautiful, amazing place in the world. I have been there about 7 times (I think) and every time I went I fell in love (even though I was too young to remember some of them I still loved it!) I have and never will have anything bad to say about Atlantis. I go every year and hope to keep doing that. I have the time of my life every time I come and have a wonderful experience. Our rooms are always nice andwe always get a great view. The pools, waterslides, beaches etc. are all a blast. It's also exciting to look at all the sea-animals(Atlantis has the world's largest marine habitat in the world (second only to mother nature) and I deffinatly recommened visting the "Dig" while your there. The resturants are great! The food is delicious and not too expensive ( which almost every review says). I expecially like the Buffets ( The Marketplace, Seagrapes, WatersEdge) and I also like the Atlas Grill & Bar which isn't a buffet but has great food and a great view of the Marina. There is definatly plenty to do for people of ALL ages. i can't even imagine staying any where else and I can't WAIT! to go back (hopefully this year)!

8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
cheltenham, pa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2003

I travel a few times a years to different resorts. I decided to visit the Atlantis in Paradise Islands as it has been rated so well. I booked with Apple Vacations for 1 week. I will list the good and the bad with Atlantis. ON THE GOOD SIDE, the aquarium is awesome. The beach was nice ( as good as any other caribbean beach ) and the beach staff was friendly and helped bring chairs to you. The scenery is really beautiful around the hotel. The food in the hotel is pretty good, yet expensive (try mama loo's), although we found some fantastic places to eat on the island with much better prices. ON THE BAD SIDE, there were some problems with this 'highly rated' hotel - We arrived at the hotel at around 11 am and checked in. The room was not ready until after 1:30 pm and our bags still had not arrived (apple issue). The bellhops told us that the bags would be placed safely in the holding area when they got there. I checked with them every hour and at 2:30 pm when the bellhop desk knew nothing, I ventured out of the front door and saw them just sitting there. We took the bags to the room ourselves with no help from the bellhop staff. THE BIGGEST PROBLEM was a lousy bed which was lopsided. We called the front desk who sent up some staff who removed a 1" thick board which was placed between the mattress and bedspring but only went 2/3 of the way through making the bed unlevel.
The mattress was horribly "soft" and we asked for a better/stiffer mattress or another room. The staff put another soft mattress in that afternoon which was no better than the first. I called the desk again on this issue and was told that 'there are not firmer beds available'.
Needless to say, I slept on the floor two of the seven nights due to the crummy bed. When I booked this trip, I requested a beach/ocean view room. The trip was booked 8 weeks in advance so that this might be possible. Instead, we got a room with a view of a roof. The rooms are noisy so expect to hear the kids screaming in the hallways. Upon checkout, watch your billing sheet as we were billed for items in the wetbar that we didn't use. We checked it upon 'check in' on 8/12 and saw a few items missing so we called the desk and reported such.
Anyway, we were billed on 8/15 for those same missing items. Nice move.
Check out these automatic non-refundable charges : The hotel charges a $3.00 per day per room "pool and beach" charges (even on the 8th day when you are leaving at 8 am). The hotel also charges $10.95 for bellhop service which we didn't use going in. Due to my knowledge of this, we called the bellhops to get our bags when leaving and the bellhop who arrived at our room to get the bags said 'I won't be at the front door when you are leaving' and then put his hand out for a tip! ( The only fees that were expected were the Island's energy surcharge not this other junk. ) I hope I helped out anyone planning this trip. I wanted to see what all the hype was about, but next trip, I will go for a more relaxed spot with awesome views from my balcony room and a more 'local area' feel.

32 Thank recordcastle
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,515 reviews
The Reef Atlantis, Autograph Collection
The Cove Atlantis, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Coral Towers, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Coral Towers, Autograp...
#10 of 14 in Paradise Island
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,539 reviews
Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive

Been to Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!