“Atlantis, the dying hotel”

Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph Collection
Ranked #11 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
Buffalo, NY
“Atlantis, the dying hotel”
Reviewed 12 April 2014

Sorry, but this place is a letdown. Its so super expensive that I couldn't get past that part. $7 for a bottle of water, $9 for 8 pieces of fruit, $58 for lunch for 4 of hamburgers and hot dogs, and my biggest disappointment, $22 per day for wifi. Never again will we come to Atlantis. We have spoken to many guests that are all in agreement.

Right next door is the Comfort Suites, who Atlantis bought the beach rights from, so also get access to all of outdoor Atlantis, for under $200 per night. Free wifi and free breakfast. Winner. Would never come back. $6.95 for a large bag of pretzels......actually cant wait to check out. People are wonderful and place is beautiful, but half of it is closed and more than half of the people you see walking around are staff. We are here prime time in April, the weather is fantastic and the beaches are beautiful, but all of the beaches in Nassau are beautiful. If u can do without the water park and the aquariums, stay in Nassau and come here for a day.

Room Tip: Royal tower is way too crowded, coral tower is the main in and out hub, beach tower is quietest but...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
11 Thank Kim E

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (702)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Moline, Illinois
Reviewed 10 April 2014

We book the room at Beach Towers. Our on demand tv service didn't work, after hotel trying to fix it for 2 days, they gave us upgrade to Coral Tower. Beaches were great. Pools were awesome. Lagoon stank as hell. Beware, they ask you like 100 times a day if you want to rent a Jet Ski. Food is so expensive, no microwave.
We found a live roach in bathroom at Coral Tower. We called hotel service, and they tried to tell us that it wasn't a cockroach. It was a cockroach.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
8 Thank Dadura K
Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed 7 April 2014 via mobile

This is the most overpriced hyped up place I've ever been. My family and I stayed in a room which was basically about like a Holiday Inn Express without the free wifi. You can purchase that for $22/day.

I easily dropped a grand in one day. This place was dripping with cheese factor. Water park wasn't much of a water park but it did have the stench of urine while standing in line for slides which made me feel like I was back in the states. The view really is beautiful but that's about it.

If you play cards be prepared to come unglued from the stupidity of those at your table who have no idea what they're doing. In the evening there was only 1 table with a $15/min, a few that were $25/min and upwards of $500/min. I watched as men and women at my table wanted to split 10s, had no idea when to hit, stand, double, split, etc. I finally just got up and left. Don't gamble with idiots. At blackjack they're not just gambling their $ but yours as well.

Also the smoke was nauseating. It sure is nice to go into a casino and not come out reeking of cigars and cigarettes. Unfortunately the smoke was almost welcomed. Thank God we were in the Beach Tower and not the Coral tower. The casino is in this tower and as you walk through the lobby to get to the casino the smell of smoke almost knocks you down.

We took a taxi to the fish fry and ate dinner at Oh Andros. Best decision we made all day.

Been there/done that. Wouldn't go back. More than a day and I would have been a basket case. We left and spent a week on Eleuthera. Now that's the way to do it if visiting the Bahamas. Go to a real island and not some monstrosity of a resort.

• Stayed March 2014
6 Thank R W
Frederick, Maryland
Reviewed 7 April 2014

Short vacation from 03-06Apr for a friend's wedding, There were no major issues at the Beach Tower (cheapest) but we were left with a feeling that if this were a full week, we would be less satisfied. Why the average rating? We felt like a number, not a guest. At every turn, we were standing in line waiting-- be it the water rides, dinners, ice cream at night...the sheer volume of people was not what we consider a caribbean vacation. The water rides were refreshing and the multitude of aquarium fish were interesting, but the maze you needed to navigate every day was tiring. I need to come home to rest my feet from all the walking I've done--and that's not a good thing. Would have liked the beach food/drink stands to open up before 11am-- at least a water and ice dispenser would be a welcome touch. Overall, we would not come back because the size of the resort is too big. I can see the alure of this place for families...for us there are much better options throughout the caribbean,

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Froggy2014
San Diego, California
Reviewed 6 April 2014

For someones first time to the Bahamas I would definitely recommend staying at the Atlantis resort. This place is very pricey but, again for first timers i would say stay here because no other property around compares.
I love that they have an aquarium attraction. I thought i was told that there was a private pool for adults only? But never found it, when we asked about it one of the hotel staff said that we had to be staying at one of the other towers to gain access (most $$$ tower). It would have been nice to go there since there were alot of teenagers and kids because of the slides. Which was also fun but i would have liked to ride the slide then go to an adult only side to relax and have enjoy my cocktail.
The rooms were nothing special. Very overpriced for what they were. I think our room was avg. $300 a night for the cheapest rooms and the room just looked like a motel room.
I think the main attraction was the property and all it has to offer for entertainment, which was a lot!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Frances C
Mississauga, Canada
Reviewed 6 April 2014

Beautiful time on Paradise Island. Hotel lovely amenities handy everywhere.. Met family there for birthday and anniversary.. Dinner on the pier at the Harbour condos, excellent meal..
Haven't been to Paradise Island since the sixties it sure has changed but will return sooner next time...

Room Tip: ask for ocean side, they will tell you you have a terrace but it may be over looking the conference...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Fort Myers, Florida
Reviewed 2 April 2014

I paid $229 a night for the Beach Tower. I've been coming to Atlantis since it opened and it's going down hill and I see nothing indicating it's going back uphill anytime soon. In addition to this the Beach Tower is the "cheapest" which is fine as my wife and I take 4+ vacations a year so I don't need a "lifetime experience."

With the Baha Mar set to be complete in December I'm not sure what Atlantis is going to do. They've let a lot of the property decay to the point where major renovations are going to have to happen. Aged carpet, stucco that's cracked in major points, and steel supports so rusted I don't even think they can angle grind the rust out. I don't understand why they didn't just maintain the property but it's in rough shape.

The food is ridiculously overpriced for what you get. I expect 5 stars at 100 a person. 5 stars. Not even 4 1/2 for that price and I've eaten at some of the best restaurants in the world. Most of these places are 3 1/2 to maybe a 4 star at the best moment.

The casino is a casino that I'm sure isn't regulated.. Their ATM also managed to ping me twice so now I have to deal with the bank. With the amount I was withdrawing I'm sure there is an algorithm that thought I wouldn't notice but I did you thieves.

Be advised the "beach tower" does have beach access but only a few beach views. Most of the rooms are going to be looking onto the roof of the convention center. I don't like looking at roofs so I requested a change which gave me a slight beach view. Get there early to make this happen.

My wife and I sleep in hotels and that's about it. Otherwise we're on a beach or near a pool reading and drinking. For a family of 4 that wants to squeeze in on the cheap this would be a fine place to crash while the kids are playing in the pools or lazy river. It's a self contained area so fairly safe but beware the beach hawks, this isn't a private beach. In some cases they can be downright aggressive and scary. I felt at one point that I was about to be attacked on the beach because I wouldn't buy a cheap wooden flute from some guy. When they get too thick just stay at the pools.

Overall it's an OK place if you get a cheap flight in. It's not "all that" for couples without kids and there are much better destinations throughout the Caribe to enjoy.

Room Tip: In the beach tower request an ocean view as you're checking in! It will save the headache of ent...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
The Reef Atlantis, Autograph Collection
The Cove Atlantis, Autograph Collection
Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive
Atlantis, Coral Towers, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Coral Towers, Autograp...
#10 of 14 in Paradise Island

Been to Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!