Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph Collection
Ranked #11 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
NYC
“Paradise!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2010

I loved loved loved loved loved my vacation at Atlantis. We stayed for 5 days. We lucked out with the weather and with the crowds...was sunny the whole time and the place was kind of empty since we went during off-season. Atlantis has stunning grounds. It was beautiful no matter where we were or looked around. Waterfalls and pools and beaches and palm trees and lovely landscaping and fish and sharks and fountains....never a dull spot and never a dull moment!

The Beach Tower is one of the early hotels on the premises and it's farther away from the main tower, which is the Royal Tower. However we really didn't mind walking around...just plan an extra 5-10 minutes if you plan on roaming around the area. The pool and beach are minutes from the hotel and there is a lazy river nearby the hotel as well. While the grounds are always exciting and the lobby is clean and very pretty, the rooms are really nothing special. There is nothing "Atlantisy" about the room, though every room should have a balcony, which is a nice plus. We chose this particular hotel to stay at because it was the cheapest of the lot. If you don't want to walk, there is actually a free shuttle to take you to other towers.

The Mandarin Spa is wonderful and we splurged on body massages. There is also a steam room, a sauna and a hot bath at the spa for your enjoyment. The place is quite luxurious and very relaxing.

We signed up for a special on Orbitz.com and were able to get free drinks at some of the clubs/lounges and we also had a free voucher at their Dolphin Encounter. This can be pricey if you have to pay, as prices start at $130 per person for about 60 minutes. It is expensive, but I would splurge on this as well as it can be a once in a lifetime experience to kiss a dolphin on the nose (seriously!).

Atlantis in general is an expensive resort. Everything on the premises costs a lot of money. I would recommend to take the ferry into Nassau ($3 a person each way) and go to the market to buy drinks (1.5L water bottle is $1) as well as snacks instead of spending $5-$10 for one water bottle at the Atlantis. And check out the Straw Market while you are on Nassau for much cheaper souvenir shopping.

The beach is gorgeous and there are so many long chairs available. However, most of the beach area at the Atlantis is actually public beach, and there are actually lots of private people that want to rent their jetskis or other sell other kind of water entertainment (parasailing, banana boats etc) to guests. Bear in mind that a lot of these people DO NOT have permits or insurances. If you are interested in water sports - I would ask the hotel for a list of the people who actually do have permits as well as insurance coverage.

Atlantis has so many amenities to offer that you really don't have to leave the island. The resort has snorkeling, kayaking, nightclubs, lounges, casino, restaurants, dolphin encounter and water slides....so fun! I get a little nervous about rides, but I pushed myself to try every water slide in the park and I had so much fun! That was really a plus for me because I personally get a little bored by sitting out near a pool/beach all day, so some fun on slides and the lazy river was much appreciated.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank Happyatdisney

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (660)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Madison, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2010

We stayed for four nights in the Beach Tower and it was better than we had expected. It looks somewhat dumpy from outside, but the interior is pretty nice. A lot of people do not like the extra walk, but it's really not that bad. Just plan on an extra 5 minutes wherever you go.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2010

We just got back on April 23rd, the place was hoping last week. We stayed Sun-Sat in the Beach Tower 7th floor, non ocean view. Good size room for 4 of us. Kids were 5 and 7. Clean, well kept and all issues were address right away (more towels). We were only in the room until 8am and then to get showered and then bedtime. I'm glad we didn't pay for ocean view. All the pools were open from 9am-7pm. We only ate at the resort a few nights. Ventured off the resort for a few dinners, saved money and got to see other parts of Nassua. Ate dinner at Cafe Mattisse in Nassua - highly recommended. $200 for the four of us with 4 $10 glasses of wine. Everything was expensive, go there expecting that. We saved money by eating at Anthony's outside and to the left of the Coral Towers. About as far as Bimini Road. Ate breakfast there 2-3 times, and dinner once.

Had dinner twice at Bimini Road, good food and well priced. Never could get into Carmine's, sold out everynight until 9:30pm not good with kids. I don't know why the Atlantis doesn't hold reservations for 20 minutes, then allow the others to use the reservation. We were there at 6:15 with only 3 tables occupied, but they refused to allow us to have a table since they were "sold out", checked back an hour later and only 1/2 the table were filled. We didn't use the food plan and spent $1000 for the 4 of us to eat for the week. Lunch was by the pools at (hot dogs/ chicken nuggets / cheese burger) for about $8-9 for sandwich, chips/fries and soda. Soda's have free refills at Shark Bites and Cave Bar. Never had pizza all week! A bonus for our family. Had dinner at the Poop Deck one night, wouldn't do it again. Went to the Point Resturant (Harborside) one night, basic pool menu but enough choices to walk over, great view and they had happy hour dirnks until 7pm, 1/2 off frozen drinks (only $5).

Never used the inter-tower shuttle. Found walking from one side (Beach to Cove) only took 10-15 minutes to walk. Enough on the way to entertain two kids. Dolphin Cay was awesome. Cheapest photo package was $60 (4 photos 8x10, 5x7 and 2 4x6), then jumps to $160, they need a $100 CD only of photos.

Took the shuttle bus (Dan Knowles Tours) between the hotel and airport, booked through the Atlantis. Wouldn't do it again, just pay for a taxi. Put together with 30 other people, bus wasn't big enough had to wait to catch the next one. Same thing when we left, sent a 10 passenger van for 30 people. We got on the 2nd van, before a bigger bus got there after 25 minute wait.

Beach outside Beach tower was small, short walk towards the Coral tower beach which was big enough for people. With small kids, you may spend all your time in the pools. A lttle bit of a hike to get to the kids pools, plan on spending the day there. To far to walk back and forth to the room. Kids enjoyed the different pools. Mostly went to the Beach tower River Pool (zero entry, lazy river), Splashers Kid Pool (good for under 7) but the limited chairs and popularity made getting chairs in the shade hard, get there early. The Mayan Temple Pool had some nice slides that our 5 and 7 year old LOVED. Plenty of seats around this pool.

Bring plenty of sunscreen. VERY EXPENSIVE on site. Kids 50 SPF was from $18 to $30 for 8 ounces. Recommend SPF shirts for little kids that are fair skin.

Took the water shuttle between Paradise Island and Nassua, $3 each way /person. Fun thing to do leaves on the hour and 1/2 hour from 9:30-5/6pm. Get to see other side of Paradise Island, boat crew give a description of town and history.

6 Thank Bos_Chris
Sth Yorkshire
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2010

Hi I know it is almost 2 years since we went, we got treat like dirt because we wasn't American. It was dirty and had to be moved rooms, the prices were extremely high (rip off level). They tried to charge us the full amount of our holiday on arrival, which we had already paid before we went. The service was that bad and not 1 of the people who worked there could tell you the same, NO staff training what so ever. We ended up getting some of our money back upon return (well a couple of mth after).

I do love the bahamas, but would stay in the comfort suites next time, you get b&b for less money and the full use of the Atlantis!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed September 2008, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Paradise Island hotels

Boston, MA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2010

I already posted in the forum I think... but some people asked about our view, the beach being closed, etc. I will attach some pictures.. so you can see for yourself.. BUT we had a fantastic trip! Feel free to contact me if you have any questions!

Mansfield, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2010

I have been to the Atlantis twice. I stayed in the beach tower (ocean view) both times. My husband and I went 7 years ago before children and again in April 2010 with our 5 1/2 year old and 2 year old. The beach tower is a perfectly nice hotel. It is equivalent to any Hilton or Sheraton that I have ever stayed in. The room was large enough that we had a crib in the room between one of the beds and the wall and it didn't get in our way at all. I will say that this trip, I did wish that we could have stayed in the Royal Towers, they are the "center" of the resort and more luxurious. I love feeling like I am in the "lap of luxury", but didn't think it was worth the extra $2000-$3000 to stay there for the week. We loved Atlantis, the kids thought it was amazing and we plan to return in a few years. When we return I want to stay in the Royal towers or at least the Coral towers. It is a very long hike from the beach towers to anything. The royal towers are more centralized and the Coral towers are much closer to everything than the beach towers. I gained about 3-5 pounds in one week there - I probably would have gained more without the long walks from the beach tower to the Marketplace and our favorite swimming pools.
Our favorite place to eat was the Marketplace for breakfast and dinner. We purchased the casual dinning plan because the two kids (6 and under) eat for free. Well, not exactly free. We found out when we got there that gratuity was not included on the meal plan. They charged us what it would have cost for 2 adults and 1 child at each meal and we were responsible for paying the 15% gratuity on each meal for the three of us. I wasn't planning on that, but the meal plan ended up being a good deal. It would have cost $72.45 each morning for breakfast at the marketplace for the 3 of us (the almost 2 year old was totally free). I think the gratuity for breakfast there was $9.00 and for dinner was $16.80. We ate one night at Bimini Road - it was on the meal plan, but we had to pay the gratuity on the $150 tab. Carmine's was really good, the bill was $274 - gratuity was around $32-$40.
It was unusually windy the week we went. Some of the pools felt a little heated (the kid's pool near the play area with the slides was the WARMEST pool in the park). We loved the ruins pool near the cove, but it was really cold (the wind was terrible).
Everything at Atlantis costs a lot of money. I knew this and planned on spending $1000 on souvenirs, lunch and snacks. We checked out with a tab of $1033. This didn't include some cash for tips and ice cream, etc.....
You CANNOT purchase the meal plan once you get there - It MUST be purchased at least 3 days before you arrive!!!!!!
If you want to eat at some of the better restaurants - make your reservations before you go or as soon as you get there. We arrived on Sunday and weren't able to get into Chop Stix for the entire week.
My daughter and I LOVED the shallow water dolphin interaction. I saved some money by booking it before we went. Once there - it will cost $150 per person and the cheapest photo package was $60 for 4 photos.
We booked a town car transfer to and from the airport through the Atlantis website. The driver was nice enough to drop us by a grocery store on the way to the hotel to buy a couple of cases of water. It cost us $7.99 for a case of 24 waters - it would have cost more than that for 2 bottles of water at the hotel.
When you arrive at the airport, you go through immigration, then to baggage claim, then through customs. We had alot of luggage and let a baggage handler load our bags on a cart. He then led us straight through a side lane at customs and we didn't have to wait in line or push the button to see if they were going to go through our suitcases - totally worth the tip that we gave him for wheeling out our luggage!!
Atlantis was fabulous!!!! I highly recommend it. It is one of my most favorite vacation spots ever. The beach towers are perfectly nice - they just pale in comparison to the Royal towers and the Cove......

6 Thank ILovetoTravelTexas
England
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2010

Forgetting the rubbish weather which couldn't be helped, the overall impression of atlantis is of a very slick and very overpriced money making machine. Everything is charged for and at a rediculous level. Even for a small bottle of water by one of the pools costs $10 ! I kid you not ! The staff must be very well trained when they charge you for stuff so as not to laugh out loud such is the rip- off pricing. We were booked for two weeks but only stayed for half the time due to the fact that if the weathers no good then to be honest, there's nothing else to do there except gamble in the trashy casino.Once youv'e done the fish attractions and had a look around, that's it. The whole of the hotel complex was also freezing inside. They just wouldn't turn the air conditioning lower to compensate. In fact it was warmer outside in the cold. The corridor to our rooms was like a fridge it was so cold. They did move us after a few days complaining to the coral tower which was better. A bit warmer. And we were from England so we know about damp and cold. . OK, so I read lots of these reviews before we went. I was a bit hesitant to be honest as there were so many people complaining about the very things i am complaining about. But we had already booked and paid for the whole holiday in full so there was no turning back But I thought -no ,it cant be that bad surely ? But it was. Oh deary me. In all the years happy holidaying around the world we came to this place. The stuff on their website looked good though. Made us think wow ! this looks fun. And it was for a little while. I would say 2 or 3 days is enough here. And thats if the weathers good. And if you go, take plenty of money. And then double it 'cos you will need it just to survive. someone wrote comparing being here to a hell hole. whilst i woulnd't go as far as that, there are much nicer places in the world to spent some well earnt vacation time than this place. The only nice thing that I can be bothered to remember is one night we had dinner at a restaurant called Bahamian Club. The rib eye was very very good. Lovely food there. Should have been i suppose for $600 for us all without wine. And.....take earplugs ! really you should as the walls to the bedrooms are made of paper. So...go to atlantis if you like looking at fish in tanks and shelling out tons of money but blimey, what a disappointment. And sad really. Made us all feel sad. and were not a bunch of saddos that like complainig. In fact I've never complained before ever. I wasn't going to bother about writing anything on this forum. Then i thought, why not ? I just wish i'd read this stuff before booking.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with family
The Reef Atlantis, Autograph Collection
The Cove Atlantis, Autograph Collection
Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive
Atlantis, Coral Towers, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Coral Towers, Autograp...
#10 of 14 in Paradise Island
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,529 reviews

Been to Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!