“Just returned, broke but happy”

Atlantis - Harborside Resort
Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
River Edge, New Jersey
“Just returned, broke but happy”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2012

Since i planned my Atlantis vacation 2 years ago, I read these reviews constantly so I thought I should return the favor. Just returned from a wonderful week at the Harborside with husband and 19 and 12 year old kids. I'd stayed at Royal Towers before but I LOVED staying at Harborside. Big rooms, Beautiful pool that was NEVER crowded and a hot tub that stays open 24/7. We even snuck in to the big pool for a night swim on one extra hot night. I packed a huge suitcase full of food, saved about $1,000. I also brought a carry on cooler with cold cuts, bacon and 2 pounds of frozen meat right on to the plane. I kept it cold with the frozen meat and 4 small blue gel freezer pacs. I also packed three loaves of frozen breat and put them in our carryons.

Always ask in advance how much the cab costs, stopped at the grocery and liquor store on the way for milk , eggs, beer, etc. $50 for a case of beer. $20 for water.

Shuttles were awesome, lagoon bar was a perfect spot for lunch on a rainy day and we wouldn't have noticed it. Seafire steakhouse was amazing. Carmines was great and you leave with lots of leftovers so go early in yo0ur trip. Overall the trip was a 10, never a cross word with the kids, just a wonderful time. Now I have to go make macaroni and cheese because that's all we can afford now! Hope to return in 5 years!

Room Tip: building 5 is right next to the pool, ground floor had no great view but easy to get in and out.
7 Thank Joanne H
Alexandria R, Guest Relations Manager at Atlantis - Harborside Resort, responded to this review, 20 August 2012
Here at Harborside, we strive to give our customers a “blow away vacation experience” and based on your enthusiastic and positive review, I can see that we have. Thank you for sharing this. Additionally, we are always glad to know that we can provide our guests with great value for money at Harborside. Once again, thank you for your review and we hope to see you again soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (416)
  • Polish first
Watertown, CT
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2012

Just got back from a 7 day trip with my family...husband and 3 kids (12, 9 and 6). Used Fergie's taxi service from airport to hotel. That went smoothly. Driver was helpful and informative. Harborside was great. Room wasn't ready at 4:00 check-in, but we were in by 5. LOVED the room (4738, building 2, view of pool)---having the washer/dryer was awesome--did one load every night and came home with no dirty laundry! The bed was so comfortable. Everything was clean. We needed an extra blanket-they came right up. The room was very spacious. I think it's considered a one bedroom premium. Girls slept on pull out sofa and we got a roll-away bed for my son for $5 per night. Plenty of room for us to spread out. Loved having the kitchen. Used foodstore2go.com and had breakfast, snacks and drinks delivered upon arrival. Ran out and they came back mid-week for another delivery. Definitely saved us some cash. Resort prices are outrageous--similar to Disney, have to mentally prepare yourself for that. Went offsite to Fish Fry (Twin Brothers) one night for dinner. Dinner was fine, but honestly, not cheaper at all. It cost us $50 to take the the taxi there and back ($25 each way--$5 per person), so when you add that to the "cheaper" meal, it doesn't end up being any cheaper....I would highly recommend Carmines in the Marina Village. That and Virgil's were our favorite meals. Both are family style restaurants. Had leftovers from both places and were able to get another meal out of them. For cheaper lunchtime eating, we hit Quiznos, Starbucks and the poolside grills. It's definitely a hike to go back to the room midday, but it can be done. Shuttles run continuously. But to be honest, no matter where you stay, it's kind of a hike. Everything is so spread out, so I wouldn't say Harborside is any worse than the others. I loved the convenience it offered (washer, kitchen, etc and it was so much cheaper) and would say those pros definitely outweighed the cons (it being a little further away from things). Slides, pools, and beaches were great. My 6 year old was bummed b/c she wan't tall enough for the big slides, but we were able to sneak her on one, and there was a bunch of other stuff she could do. She's a daredevil, though, and really wanted to hang out with the big kids. I signed her up for the Aquatots program at the library and she was chosen to feed the baby stingrays. Made a big deal out of that. Have to be shorter than 48 inches...so her height came in handy in that instance. Definitely take a look at the daily schedule they hand out--some fun, free things to do each day---my kids did ping pong and hula hoop contests, and we watched The Lorax in the movie theater. Take the time to walk around the aquariums, especially if it rains...we did the Sea Lion Encounter...it was fun. Similar to dolphin encounter. You get to pose with Sea Lion kissing you, hugging you, etc...He waves to you. You feed it a fish. You stand in the water near it...no swimming or anything...nothing too exciting. All in all, an amazing trip---one of our favorites of all time---will definitely go back when my 6 year old hits 48 inches!!

5 Thank jsl_96
We always love to read when our guests enjoy a stay with us so thank you for sharing your experience and for mentioning our amenities! The ability to stock the kitchen with food is a huge money saver for our owners and guests alike, as you have experienced. We hope to see you again soon and thank you for choosing us.
New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2012

Our group of three families - 16 people - had three condos at Harborside for a week. Harborside was great - exactly what we wanted.

Our family had a 2-bedroom lockoff unit on the 4th floor of building 2 with a view of the parking lot. The others were in 1-bedrooms on floor 2 of Building 2 with views of the pool. We had enough room in the 2 bed-room for the 16 of us to have a pizza party. There was an elevator in the building, but we preferred the stairs.

The kitchen was equipped with dishes, pots, pans, utensils, etc., but there were no coffee filters for the coffee maker, nor any salt and pepper. The baths were very nice and large, and the towels were large and fluffy. Linens were changed once during the week. Water pressure was great and the shower was always hot.

The staff at the front desk and everyone you saw were friendly and helpful.

It was a trip to get to the Aquaventures area, but the shuttles made it easy. You just didn't go back and forth during the day.

We've been to Atlantis several times, but always at the hotels. Harborside was a great alternative to hotel rooms - we could all sit around together if we wanted to, or go to a bedroom to get away. We'll go back to Haborside again.

3 Thank vettetraveler56
It is a pleasure to hear that the spacious villas at Harborside have helped to make your family vacations a success. These villas are meant to be a ‘home away from home’ so it is only fitting that it would facilitate your family gathering. Additionally, the fact that you were so impressed with our facilities brings a smile to our faces. Thank you for sharing your wonderful vacation experience and we can’t wait for you to visit again.
New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2012 via mobile

Just returned from a 7 day visit with my family of 5 from Atlantis Harborside. Overall, Harborside is very nice, clean and the amount of space unbeatable with 3 kids. The pool area is a nice retreat after a busy day at the park. Definitely the way to go to save on food costs. We used foodtogo.com which was great, on-time and costs on-par with going yourself. The delivery guy even unpacked everything in the refrigerator.

The most notable downside is the tunnel noise (constant night and day in building 2), moderately friendly staff, and spotty service. The shuttle service was mostly good but did feel like an extra step doing anything at the park /restaurants.

The water park was fun but you only need 4 full days. Even our kids lost enthusiasm after going on every ride multiple times. The music at the pools were fun, cruise crowds crappy but everyone polite and overall something for everyone. Food prices for lunch by the pools were not terrible and quality pretty good.

Restaurants were pricey but the savings from staying at Harborside was a great trade off. Food overall was good to great. Mesa Grill and Mosaic were outstanding / worth every penny. Carmine's and Seafire very, very good. The Point and Bimini Road very solid.

We did a 4 hour boat tour with bahamasboatour.com which was the highlight of our trip. Highly, highly recommend. Capt. Carl was great, on-time, considerate and tried accommodating our interests. The snorkeling and hanging out on a deserted island was outrageously cool.

All-in-all, a great trip and glad we went. Will not return soon.

Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank baszav
As always, we appreciate it when our guests give a great review on our hotel as you have. We also love it when helpful tips and information is provided. The tranquility and privacy that Harborside provides is one our best amenities. We like to think we give our guests the best of both worlds, access to an exciting, world class waterpark and calm and tranquility of the Harborside pool. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and hope you return.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2012

Yes, the crystal-clear turquoise waters and the aquariums are worth seeing; otherwise, I found Atlantis to be overpriced and overrated. During the entire trip, I felt like I was in a land of "the not quite right" where everyone tries to take advantage of you.

Like so many others recommend, ask your taxi to stop at a grocery store on your way to Atlantis from the airport. But, make sure you ask your taxi driver how much extra this will cost - it surprisingly more than doubled the cost of our ride. Try to avoid buying groceries or many other things in the Atlantis stores - as an example, they charge 1.50 for a .50 postcard stamp.

When eating, expect high prices and very slow service everywhere, on and off the resort. $17 for a reuban sandwich, and at least 30 minutes before any food is brought to you anywhere. Go early to dinner, or snack before you go, because you will wait a long time for your food. At a pool-side snack bar, I waited 15 minutes for cheese nachos and a beer, which cost $15. And a gratuity is added automatically everywhere.

Bring your own water to the water park, because there are no water fountains and bottled water is expensive.

Expect inaccurate information from the resort staff. My wife was told that the Harborside pool closed at 6:00, when it actually closes at 7:00. From what I could tell, all the resort pools closed at 7:00, except for one that did close at 6:00. And, by the way, why do the pools close so early?? You also have to search for a pool that is quiet, as many blast hip-hop music from large speakers. Good luck hearing the waves lapping on the beach.

Again, I felt like this was the land of the not-quite-right. We called the front desk one night when our toilet got stopped up. 10 minutes later, an attendant knocked on our door, saying "Here are the towels you asked for." After a very nice man eventually did come to fix our toilet, the front desk called to ask if we had received our towels.

Be on guard against being taken advantage of. Ask cab drivers in advance how much the ride will cost, even if it's posted. Extra passengers and luggage will cost you extra. As an example: we took a cab to church in Nassau on Sunday morning. After church, we had trouble finding a cab, so a fellow churchgoer, and Nassau native, offered to drive us downtown. She was so nice and friendly that at our destination, I asked if I could pay her. "Oh yes," she said,"I'm also a licensed taxi. That'll be $16 please." So much for Christian hospitality.

I don't recommend the Fish Fry area. It's really nothing more than some average restaurants in a pretty run-down area. Then again, most of Nassau looks pretty run down. On the other hand, there were lots of locals there, so it's the place to go if you want to meet Bahamians.

Ok, enough negativity. The positives: Spend the money and do the dolphin encounter. It's really cool, and worth it, especially if you have kids and even if you don't. Eat and/or drink at Senor Frog's in downtown Nassau. Only place the whole visit where I felt we got good service at a reasonable price. Very fun atmosphere right on the water, across from the cruise ships, though some of the staff's "spring break" antics may not be appropriate for pre-teens. Take a snorkeling excursion, or just ride, the Flying Cloud catamaran. A good value with a very friendly crew. The ride is great, and the snorkeling is nice, though I actually saw prettier fish right off the Atlantis beaches.

The Harborside itself is definitely ok, though you can tell it's the low rent district of the resort. Our unit was clean, updated, and the size of a typical American suite hotel room. The fridge, stove, and microwave really came in handy as we ate in for most breakfasts and lunches. We had no views, as our windows faced a large alley in one direction and the harbor bridge in the other. But it was affordable, and we rarely had trouble catching a shuttle to the nice part of the resort.

Overall, it's worth one trip to see the resort's unique beauty, but expect to spend beaucoup money and be very patient with the locals. I'm glad I went, but am not eager to go back again.

Room Tip: If possible, try to get a unit facing the pool or the boat marina.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank ADK28
It is always regrettable to hear that a guest did not thoroughly enjoy their vacation with us. We, at Harborside, always strive to provide great and memorable vacation experiences. We are always interested in improving our service and resort in any way we can and would like the opportunity to get your feedback on this. I can be contacted at hsresponse@kerzner.com. Thank you for taking the time to review our property and I look forward to hearing from you in the near future.
Rogers, Arkansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2012

Atlantis as a whole is an amazing resort with fantastic service and a great place to vacation. Overall it is extremely pricey, but that is what you would expect at a place like this. We stayed at Harborside on a large family vacation and were not disappointed. It was nice having the extra space. If I go back I would like to stay in the Royal Towers, but we were not disappointed with Harborside. It is fun admiring the amazing boats in the harbor when walking over to the resort.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank arkansas2000
Thank you for your review on our resort. It is wonderful to know that we have made an impression on you as exceeding our customers’ expectations is a top priority for us. The extra space that our villas provide definitely has massive appeal for families and couples alike. Again, thank you for your review and choosing Harborside as your vacation destination.
Little Rock, Arkansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2012

We loved having the extra space staying at Harborside. We caught the $7pp shuttle to the market the day after we arrived. We had brought a lot of food with us but needed to buy drinks, produce, meat, dairy. We took an empty suitcase with us to the market and then were able to put all of our groceries in it after shopping. Much easier to handle on the bus, instead of keeping up with 10 plastic bags. The shuttle system was easy and never much wait time. We stayed at the beach or the water park during the day and took the shuttle back for lunch in the condo.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank jminar
Thank you for posting such a positive review on our resort. .We love that you had such a wonderful time. The ability to save on meals is one of the best features of our fully furnished villas. Once again, thank you for your review and we hope to see you again soon.