“A fantastic holiday”

Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
Maidenhead, United Kingdom
“A fantastic holiday”
Reviewed 31 December 2013

I've stayed in the Harborside resort a few times now and the whole environment is simply great fun. We spent many days in the water park! Eating in the resort restaurants can get very pricey however so get a taxi or take a boat taxi to Nassau to either visit a supermarket or visit a local restaurant.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank Dominic T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (424)
  • Polish first
Seattle
Reviewed 29 December 2013

We stayed with our friends in their time share for a week in Nov 2013. Check in was a bit complicated but the staff seemed to handle our three cards under one owner in two rooms very well. Overall the staff was friendly and helpful.

The property is nice, clean, and modern. The Harborside pool is relaxing and convenient to the rooms which was nice on the days we didn't want to shuttle over to the water slides. The Point restaurant onsite is overpriced - as is most resort food but we found a happy hour with 2 for 1 frozen drinks to be a great break between pool time and dinner.

We never had to wait more than 5 minutes for a shuttle to the other Atlantis properties, which you will need in order to get to the casino, beaches, water slides, restaurants etc. Which by the way are all a lot of fun and where we spent most of our days. This made harborside a convenient and relaxing retreat from the crowds in Atlantis. The ability to cook rather than eat on the resort is a nice option for families or groups.The small supermarket across from the marina shops is expensive by US standards but the best place walking distance to get groceries (and half the price of the sundry shop onsite).

Be aware of the sales people just outside the property gates who will try to sell you a time share but just walk on by and they will leave you alone.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
6 Thank kschoff
Toronto
Reviewed 29 December 2013

We had a really great time this week at Harborside Atlantis.
Upsides:
Private quiet pool with lots of seating around the beautiful pool
Poolside also has a food kiosk right there which is convenient
Groceries are available in the main office
Daily agenda available in front office
13 minute walk to the Atlantis site or a 5 minute shuttle (take the walk through the Marina and get some exercise to balance all the food!)
Staff very helpful and friendly

Downside for us:
Carpets in the room really need cleaning...our feet were black after half an hr walking in room

6 Thank michaelbeetoronto
Burnsville, Minnesota
Reviewed 27 December 2013

We stayed in building 1 on the 4th floor in a deluxe 1 bedroom room. The bedroom of room 4722 overlooked the marina which was lovely. The living room had the fold out bed for the kids and was nice but you could hear traffic from that room...there is a tunnel/road that is pretty loud at times, ask to be away from that road if possible.

Decor was great. Jetted bathtub was not used because jets in tub looked like they needed to be cleaned.

I totally loved the kitchen. It has a microwave that is also a convection oven so you can make garlic bread or baked goods. There is also a blender, ice maker in the freezer, electric can opener and nice cookware.
There is a dishwasher and staff gave me 4 pakets of dishwasher detergent. Bring paper plates so you don't have to wash plates every day. The room only comes with 4 plates and 4 small plates, 4 bowls, etc but they also have casserole dishes and serving pieces.
We saved hundreds of dollars by bringing our own food. We checked one bag full of cans of beer, boxes of cereal, pasta and sauce and granola bars and chips. Do not need to bring your own hard liquor since there is a liquor store in the small mall (by Dunkin Donuts and the Comfort Inn....a 5 minute walk from Harborside) that has rum, liquor for around $15 a bottle. Groceries are expensive in both Nassau and also in the mall area at Atlantis. We had the cab stop at a "Super Saver" store on the way from the airport to the hotel and a gallon of milk was $7, pop was $3.50 for a 2 liter and the cheddar cheese I bought was $7.70 for 8 ounces. Prices are about double what I am used to paying in the US.

The store on Paradise Island in the small strip mall had cereal but it was $8 a box and Fritos were $8 for a medium bag. A package of Chips Ahoy cookies was $9.99. Bring as much food as you can fit in your luggage!! Bring your own coffee and basket style filter since we only got enough coffee for 1 day.
Washer and were awesome so we brought home clean clothes! I only got enough tide to do 2 loads but I brought 2 tide pods too. I did 4 loads of wash over the 7 days we were there which was great.

The Point restaurant staff was great but food was only OK and expensive for just average food. My hamburger was $15 (cheese $2 extra) plus an additional $4.50 for fries!!
Hot tub great and perfect temperature, some other hot tubs on Atlantis are just lukewarm.

Mile long lazy river was the best ride of all....wave pool in 1 section of it and numerous areas of rapids. Very fun!
The Harborside was a great location, close enough to walk to the waterpark and other hotels but far nice to be away from the crowds at the end of the day. Make sure to walk to the Coral Towers hotel and walk outside to see the stingrays, hammerhead sharks, turtles, etc. in the beautiful outdoor aquariums as well as checking out the Dig aquarium.

Room Tip: Get a room with a view, high floor, away from tunnel that has loud traffic. Building 1 was great, r...
14 Thank grabthetab
Massachusetts
Reviewed 24 December 2013

My husband and I stayed here from the 18th-22nd of December. We were in room 3753, building 4. We arrived around 3:30 p.m. and our room was ready. We were greeted efficiently but not necessarily enthusiastically. Front desk staff and valets were polite but not overly friendly or helpful. We found the housekeeping staff friendly as well as pool hut staff and The Point restaurant staff. Our waitress at The Point was very sweet.

Our room was clean and well kept. Everything was in working order and we did not encounter any problems. Was there evidence of wear and tear? If you looked hard enough you could find some but overall I thought it was a great value. (This was my second time here).

Housekeeping was very slow. One day they came at 4;45 and the next day it was almost 6 pm. It was really ridiculous to have them come this late.

The grounds were very clean and the maintenance people worked very hard.

The pool area was very nice, the water temps a little chilly. The lifeguards were the most unfriendly of all the staff. They had very little to do since there were about 15 people in the pool the whole time we were there.

The Marina was near capacity and the ships were impressive. The walk to the other Atlantis properties from Harborside was lovely.

The Marina shops were open for business but this was a really slow week. I didn't see a lot of people shopping. One evening we did notice a guy who looked like he was looking for a target to rob. I would have liked to have seen a little more security within the shops area instead of just the perimeter.

The food at the Atlantis was even more expensive than I remembered. The quality in my opinion has declined. We ate at Carmine's, Vergil's, the Marketplace, The Point and Murray's. The food was okay but no where near what I would have expected for the price. I was was surprised to see some restaurants closed during the week. My guess is that they alternate which one closes to not spread themselves too thin My suggestion would be to go grocery shopping and bring make your own. The food was a real let down.

I have been to the Atlantis 6 times in the last ten years and the quality has really declined. With a new mega resort being built in Nassau to be ready in December 2014, I think they should step it up a few notches. I don't think I will be back until I hear that they have up the ante on this resort.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
9 Thank ronkarejohns
Greenville, South Carolina
Reviewed 23 December 2013

First of all, I'd like to say a BIG thank you to everyone who posted their reviews and tips. It made my trip much easier! We went December 6-13, 2 people and are Starwood owners (at another resort). I did most of everything suggested. We brought a rolling cooler of frozen food as a carry-on and packed a suitcase of food basics like pasta, cereal etc as checked baggage. There were no problems with customs. We got in touch with Mike from M&M taxi and loved him (mmitchellll@yahoo.com). Others are right, there are TONS of taxis available at the airport. He was a wealth of knowledge though and we're glad we went with him. We also stopped at the grocery store on the way in to pick up milk, bread, eggs (so much cheaper than convenience store prices on the island). We had no need to use the grocery shuttle that runs for $7 per person or the grocery delivery service since there were only 2 of us.

Once at Harborside, check in was easy. We were in building 2, first floor-our patio was directly behind the shallow kiddie pool. The room was nice, but needed a few updates in the shower area. Everything else was great. And being by the pool didn't bother us, maybe because of the time we went? It wasn't very crowded so not a lot of noise.

Now details: We bought a Balteco calling card from the machine outside of the casino (to use only at Balteco phones or in your room. *owners can make free local calls in their rooms). I suggest that people get and read the calling card they buy. This woman inserted her card in without reading the directions and lost her $10. Another couple figured they didn't need a calling card and called direct on their credit card. I asked the operator how much the credit card charge was and he told me $20 for first minute, $5 for each additional. OUCH! Our $10 card was plenty for the 2 of us to call home and check in. Food like everyone said is crazy expensive. It doesn't sink in until you see the prices. That's why we enjoyed having the kitchen in our room. We only ate at Violas (take Atlantis shuttle to Beach resort, walk few blocks), Anthony’s (not one of our favorites), Johnny Rockets, Breakwater grill at Aquaventure, and some desserts from Murray's Deli. The rest of our food came from our kitchen or downtown Nassau (highly recommend Oh Andros at the Fish Fry!). We also walked over one of the bridges. I'm a sloooow walker and it took me about 20 minutes. Slow and steady made it easy. You can also stop and take pictures since the view from the bridge is great. On that side, we made our way to Poop Deck restaurant and also Fresh Market (who knew!).

Atlantis has so much to do! We enjoyed the free *current movies, Aquaventure, the Dig (indoor aquarium), the beach and just riding the shuttles to the different resorts on the island. One gripe I had was about the internet. Luckily, I didn't use it much. I do wish they would at least let owners have free Wi-Fi in the rooms, but then again they are in the business to make money right?! The library at Coral Towers does offer a free 20min session of internet access on their computers each day. So we used that.

Overall, it was an amazing, beautiful vacation! The weather was amazing (70's-80s and only rained for a few hours once).We loved the people who worked there. Of course, like other places, you are going to have 1 or 2 people who are rude or you can tell their kindness is faked. But mostly everyone who we came in contact with was super nice. Some overall tips:
-Get used to Island time- not many people are in a rush. It is vacation, so relax and enjoy the ride
-Do your research beforehand. It makes for an easier trip
-If you have an issue, speak up while you're there. But do it kindly; you get more done that way.
-Pick up tourist literature at the airport and read what they give you at Harborside
-Harborside has free cocktails on the weekend during their "party" from 3-5pm. Go!
-Go see the Junkanoo parade at Marina Village. So much fun and they will stop to take pictures with you.
-Talk it up with the shuttle drivers. They are lots of fun and will gladly answer questions too.
-Sell your firstborn to pay for the trip. Just kidding. I'm a budgeter and a planner, but paradise is still expensive. Expect to pay for paradise :-).

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
9 Thank godslaf
Reviewed 22 December 2013

I have been a owner of a two bed lock off for almost 10 years. Unfortunately the resort is now run down. Rooms need a lot of work, untrained staff, no one can make a decision as regards to a question.. . The food at restaurants at Atlantis is expensive and not very good .. Buffets serve very average food and always cold .... I have traded my week on occasion to westin St. John and prefer it there.

3 Thank Nissanron
Alexandria R, Guest Relations Manager at Atlantis - Harborside Resort, responded to this review, 30 December 2013
Thank you for your review and thank you for choosing Harborside as your vacation destination. At Harborside, it is our aim for our guests to enjoy their vacation so much that they want to return. Based on your review, it seems that we have fallen short of our goal. We would like the opportunity to prevent this from happening in the future and ask that you contact us at hsresponse@atlantisparadise.com to tell us how we can.