“Hope to return”

Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
Philadelphia, PA
“Hope to return”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2014

We were in a one-bedroom in Building 7 with a view of the marina (unit 3710). We wished we had a balcony, but instead only had a big window. Wished that the view was from the living room instead of the bedroom, because any time spent in the living room was kind of dark.

One of us used the bedroom, the other slept on the pull-out couch (we switched in the middle of the week). Based on another poster's advice, I called down to request an extra mattress for the pull-out and we found that it was reasonably comfortable (although kind of annoying to have to prop it up in the middle of the unit all day so we could use the couch).

Can I share with you one of my pet peeves? Paying for wireless. It just bugs me when hotels charge for this. Plus, the Atlantis advertises that there is free wireless at the pools and in the hotel lobbies. Not true at Harborside - no wireless at the pool and the only internet in the hotel lobby were two terminals. Big thumbs down on this.

The pool was nice - fairly quiet with a separate area for kids.

Staff were friendly and responsive.

We frequently used the shuttle service to the other Atlantis properties and found the wait to generally be reasonable (waited a little long for the return shuttle on occasion).

We walked into Marina Village for shopping and dinner on two nights. We were disappointed that half of the restaurants were closed there on the two nights we walked over. (We're an "eat at the bar" rather than reservations weeks in advance kind of people).

My friend did the dolphin experience and found it underwhelming.

We ate at Olives twice at the bar and enjoyed it. We also ate at the buffet restaurant (forget the name of it) and it was "meh." We at Carmines (again, at the bar) and although the food was good, it's really not a great choice unless you're at least a party of 4 - the portions are ginormous, and even with a fridge to bring the leftovers home, it's a waste. We also ate at the point and found that food to be decent, but the service a little lacking (really the only negative service experience at Harborside).

The concierge was helpful and helped us arrange a powerboat excursion, which we thoroughly enjoyed.

The net-net - it's not high luxury, but it was decent for the price and we liked being away from the main resort. Thumb's up.

Room Tip: 3710 was decent - relatively quiet, close to the shuttle and overlooking the marina.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Jen19146

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (416)
  • Polish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

We loved our stay, the sunshine and the people. It is expensive but that should be a given. We brought food but ate out more then we planned and experienced a lot of the different restaurants and never walked away hungry. We did wish the pools.were open later but that was the only down side. There is so much to see and do there was never a dull moment. We walked nore then took the shuttle there is just too much to see, every walk was enjoyable and never felt like a hastle.
My advice would be bring snacks and bubbas, pick up booze in the airport duty free before you depart and other then just enjoy it, make your own experience dont dwell on the reviews every ones vacation is different. Your in sunshine with beautiful views take it in.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Brittany M
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2014

pros:
-spacious: nice size 1 bedroom with kitchen, living area and separate bedroom; perfect for small family
-quality: grounds and room well maintained; quick check in (they gave us an early check in which was nice)
-pool: if you want some time away from the craziness of the splasher pool, etc. this is a nice alternative, not crowded and quiet
-location: first stop over the bridge onto Paradise Island; not in the middle of everything like Royal but we considered that a good thing; regular shuttle service (believe every 8 minutes) over to other parts of Atlantis, quick 2 minute trip

cons:
-location: if you like being in the middle of it all this won't do it for you - in that case you're better off staying at the Royal but you'll have to sacrifice the space you get here
-service: this is not specific to Harborside, but in general the service in the Bahamas (our first trip here by the way) is well, a bit hard to describe -- let's say people don't seem to be bending over backwards to meet your needs; felt like if you wanted something we had to explicitly ask for it
-cost: not that most people are going to Paradise Island / Atlantis on a budget, but just keep in mind it's not cheap here so be ready to pay, and tip, alot and frequently. If you're not from the northeast or perhaps west coast you'll probably have sticker shock with the restaurants, etc. 15% std service charge,as in Europe, and you tip above that as you see fit.

tips:
-hit the supermarket when you get there and stock up on some staples (water, milk, yogurt, fruit, that type of stuff); there's also a liquor store or two you can hit to stock up on some bevs
-if you're big into breakfast buffets we were told Marketplace was the best option; that said if you don't like eating large before hitting the pool / beach, see previous bullet save yourself some coin and eat in the room before you leave for the day - for a family of four Marketplace will run you around $100 + 15% service, etc so multiply that out over a week you get the idea
-avoid Carmines / Virgils unless you're a large family or vacationing with others (i.e. large group); that said if you have a small family of 3 or 4 you can still hit these and do okay just order off the sides / app menu - much cheaper and still had alot of leftovers
-Anthony's is a nice little restaurant short walk off the resort, reasonable and good food.
-15 mins of complementary internet daily per person so unless you want to be glued to a computer on your vacation this should do it. Otherwise wifi is available for ~$20/day and good for up to four devices
-we scored a nice deal for massages, $99 / hour, not bad for a resort spa - keep on lookout for deals like this
-don't be afraid to open your mouth and ask for things; few occasions where we ordered meals that were to have certain things included but waiter / waitress didn't offer, only after explicitly asking did we receive

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank llcoolal
Burlington, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2014

Just returned from a week at Harborside, with my wife and two kids, ages 9 and 7. Overall we loved it. We had a Premium one-bedroom, in building 3.

Pros:

- the location is great for being somewhat separate from the crowds of Atlantis, close to the scenery of the yachts in the harbour, close to the Marina Village, the main area of Atlantis' for stores and restaurants, and the bridge/water taxi to the mainland
- the pool area is nice for a lower key outdoor space than the main resort
- fitness centre is small, and adequate for its convenience. Universal machine, some cardio machines, and some free weights. if you're looking for something more substantial, Atlantis has a huge one, for $15/day
- staff was mostly great
- we rented from a timeshare owner on redweek.com. Great price compared to booking through Atlantis directly, or compared to the other Atlantis room options, especially for a family.
- constant shuttles going to the main resort, or an easy walk
- the kitchen amenities were great

Cons:

- building 3 is a little further removed from the common amenities - pool/fitness/restaurant/lobby, and from the exit to Atlantis
- the room had some minor inconveniences - shower door didn't close all the way, a little brown water out of one of the taps when you first turned it on, carpet looked clean but always left your feet dirty. Standard 3 to 4 star level for a Caribbean resort I think.
- we were facing the main road, and there was a fair amount of traffic noise. Only noticeable early in the morning
- we heard the kids next door pretty clearly, again early in the morning. Sound-proofing between rooms is so-so

All in all very happy with it. It's a little removed from Atlantis proper, but not a big deal. Atlantis is so vast and sprawling that every location for rooms is far from something else on the resort. A tip for walking to the resort - of the many routes you can take, walking down by on the docks by the boats seemed to be the quickest.

Room Tip: Building 3 is pretty far from the main stuff at Harborside. Good for being separated, and no foot tr...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Evan4120
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2014 via mobile

My family and I spent 5 days at this wonderful hotel in February 2014. The apartment style hotel was very spacious enough to sleep four people comfortably. There was some repairs being done to update the exterior of some of the buildings but didnt bother us. Best part is you get full access to all facilities in Atlantis. Nassau is right across the bridge if you want to ve nture out. Overall a great place to vacation.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Arvindnc
Naperville, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2014

This was my second stay at Harborside. My prior visit was 2 years ago and it was outstanding. This time, not so much. (Note - I am a Starwood 4-star elite owner and this is a Starwood affiliate property…but you can tell Atlantis rules the roost here and not Starwood).
1) Check In - I checked in on a Wednesday, so it wasn't busy at all. Don't tell them you have been there before or you will get NO information. They will assume you already know it all. They'll take your credit card, hand you a key and map and send you on your way. I missed 2 owners welcome parties because the front desk staff couldn't bother to tell me what was going on that week. I had to track down a bellhop. It seemed very understaffed all week. Don't expect anything extra as an elite owner!
2) The Rooms - Building 6, first floor 1778 & 1779. These rooms are right on the corner and abut the toll bridge booth (less than 100 ft away). Talk about noise! No one should be put in these rooms EVER…not just elite owners! Add the fact that the rooms were surrounded by scaffolding (repainting? never saw anyone working) and you can imagine how annoyed we were. rooms were average cleanliness except the patio (1779). It was covered in dust, construction dust, and bird droppings, making it unusable. Avoid building 6 if you can!
3) The Beds - HARD as a ROCK with pillows as flat as pancakes. Sleeping was miserable. I also woke up in the middle of the night with my toe stuck in a hole in the sheet. I pulled back the blanket to find the sheet riddled with holes!!! This is UNacceptable!
4) The Point Restaurant and Bar - Friendly and wonderful staff (thank you Vijay and Terrel). Good food with slightly less expensive prices than the rest of Atlantis.
5) Pool - Closes at 5 pm. An announcement was made at 4:45 telling everyone they had 15 minutes left to swim and at 5 everyone was told to get out. Really???? There was over an hour of day light left! Let people swim at their own risk, even after the sun goes down. I don't think 9 pm is unreasonable!
6) Internet - $21.95 per day for up to 4 devices (even though the info I received at check-in said $19.95 and there is no discount for multiple days). If you have more than 4 devices, bring your own router and connect to the line in the room. That will allow you to use unlimited devices in the room and still have 3 other devices you can roam Atlantis with on wifi. (This is the only Starwood timeshare property I know of that doesn't have free wifi).
7) Avoid the sundry shop if you can! Prices are INSANE. $7.55 for an 8 oz. bag of Chex Mix!
8) Concierge - Most were extremely helpful and nice, some were rude and unhelpful. Find one you like and stick with them. You don't have to use your "assigned" concierge. Get a receipt or voucher for EVERYTHING you book (including restaurants) especially because deposits are paid in cash ONLY. I booked some diving with Stuarts Cove and woke up sick and unable to dive. It was a battle to get my deposit back from the concierge (clearly she didn't want to refund her commission) but one of her co-workers was on my side :-)
9) The Good - Restaurant/Bar staff helpful and friendly (they had great tips) & good food, having a kitchen in the units (BIG plus), getting to use the perks of Atlantis without staying at Atlantis, unlimited use of pool towels at Harborside and at Atlantis, having a washer/dryer in the rooms (pack light and bring home clean clothes), shuttle bus to Atlantis main property ran often and the drivers were nice, walking the harbor to get to Atlantis was always interesting and relaxing (the yachts and ships are incredible), full use of Atlantis facilities.

Would I return to Harborside? Yes, it is the best option/value if you want to experience Atlantis and is a decent location (except Building 6). All in all Harborside is nice (although I had a much better experience 2 years ago - that was 5 stars). Maybe this was a fluke??? I hope so, but if not, Harborside and Starwood better wake up and get to work! My advice…go to Nassau and Atlantis expecting HIGH prices (and then add another 30% on to that expectation) and a few rude/unhelpful employees and locals. Every place in the world has those people, so don't let that deter you. Just be prepared, ask questions and don't be deterred. If I let the bad things of every vacation get to me, I would never travel.

Room Tip: Avoid Building 6
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank studyinblue
Bridgeport, West Virginia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2014 via mobile

At check-in, if you want the person at the front desk to take over 30 minutes to "find" your reservation, when you have a confirmation number this would be a great start to a vacation for you. After they finally found our reservation and we got checked in, there weren't any apologies.

The room was dirty. Mildew in the tub and shower. Sink was gross.

The staff our entire stay was rude and made us feel we were an inconvenience to their social time with their fellow "employees". You can't get a straight answer on any service questions you have. The resort has more than enough employees but they might want to consider training them. Not just at Harborside but the entire Atlantis. If you ask for directions be prepared to still find your own way because they were rarely correct.

The shuttle between the hotel is a joke. Several times we waited almost 30 minutes. I had an appointment at the spa, waited almost 30 minutes for the shuttle and finally walked the 15 minutes to get there. While I was being checked in, at the spa, another couple that was waiting for the same shuttle I was finally made it 10 minutes after I did. You can do the math on how long it took the shuttle.

Food is way over priced. Be sure to go to a grocery store on your way to the resort, IF you decide to visit. We did not buy a meal plan and from talking with fellow vacationers that was a good thing.

I am a frequent traveler and will not return to the Harborside, Atlantis or even the Bahamas. For the price, there are many nicer resorts to visit. Hawaii was even cheaper than this vacation. Even taking price out of the equation, I wouldn't return simply because of the lack of hospitality.

VERY DISAPPOINTED!

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
8 Thank emily m
Alexandria R, Guest Relations Manager at Atlantis - Harborside Resort, responded to this review, 18 February 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our resort. It is regrettable that your stay with us did not meet your expectations. One of the major purposes of online reviews is to highlight areas for improvements and your feedback does just that. Thank you for your comments about the maintenance and service issues you encountered. We would like to be able to correct this immediately. Please feel free to contact me at hsresponse@atlantisparadise.com as I would appreciate the chance to prevent similar events from occurring. Once again, thank you for your comments and I look forward to hearing from you.