“Atlantis review from a teenagers perspective”

Atlantis - Harborside Resort
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
Reviewed 5 April 2014

My family went to Atlantis for spring break in late March/early April. I was very excited to go to the Atlantis resort and enjoy the activities and water park. The harbor side resort was very nice, as it was sort of isolated from the hype of the main towers. However, the short 5 minute walk to the royal towers was refreshing and was never anything to complain about.

I loved aquaventure, especially the slides. I probably went on "the abyss" over 25 times throughout the week. The lazy river as well was very fun and relaxing. However, by the end of the week, the water park was getting a little repetitive. Not to say that that is a bad thing, it's just that I felt like I'd done everything there within the first two-three days.

I definitely enjoyed the restaurants, particularly Nobu and Mesa Grille. However, during the day I would often eat lunch at Shark Bites. The service was very slow, as I sometimes had to wait 25 minutes for a $12 cheeseburger that didn't even taste that good. Also, it was so hard to just get water around the resort. The lines are always so long that I ended up buying a plastic bottle and filling it up in the fitness center because drinking water was so hard to obtain.

Since I was there during a busy time (spring break), aqua venture was open longer, so I usually stayed there until 6:00 or so. However, I realized that after I got home, showered, and went out to dinner, there was really not that much to do. I went with my family and siblings, who are relatively close to my age. However, I definitely wanted to meet some more teenagers who are around my age. I went to Club Crush one night, but there was only 9 people there. There wet NINE people in this "cool" club at 10:45 when I went. I was expecting the place to be popping because of the time of year, but I was sadly disappointed. I just sat there and watched TV for half an hour. The employees there were either old or lazy. They just sat around and looked bored. It would've been cool if they would organize games and get people up and moving, interacting with other teens, as it is very hard to just walk up to complete strangers and start talking. I've been on cruise ships before, and they always have teen activities, like dodgeball or other games that make it easy to interact with others. However, if you weren't at club crush, there were no other social places for teenagers, which was kind of annoying. I would find myself walking around the report, hoping to find some teenagers my age who I could interact with. However, I felt like the whole resort dies around 10:30 at night, which was very shocking considering the time of year.

As a teen, it was a fun trip. I couldn't really complain about too much, considering I didn't have to pay for anything. The beaches and pools were very relaxing, and I enjoyed the time away from school. However, the resort brags about all the activities it has, and how they will always keep you busy. At night, there was not much for me to do, but I might be different depending on who you go with. Maybe I would have had a better experience at club crush on a different night, but the cover fee of $25 is annoying. Overall, harbor side was fun and relaxing, just what I needed to recharge my batteries after a long stretch of school work. The weather was fantastic and I will definitely miss the crystal blue waters.

• Stayed: April 2014
12  Thank DylanC123
Write a ReviewReviews (1,793)

Reviewed 4 April 2014

Trip Advisor review of Harborside at Atlantis – 3/29/14
We just returned from spending Spring Break at the Harborside Resort at Atlantis with our grandsons (ages 11 and 16) and we all LOVED both Harborside and all the fantastic water features and beautiful facilities Atlantis has to offer. After reading some of the negative reviews on Trip Advisor, we were somewhat apprehensive about what to expect, which was a shame, but we worried needlessly. While we understand that everyone’s experience is unique, we are happy to report that ours was extremely positive. We want to thank the many reviewers who offered tips that we found very useful, such as requesting a corner room with a harbor view if you have a 1 bedroom deluxe room, which we did. We would not have known otherwise that only the corner rooms have full balconies, while the others have what is referred to as a “French balcony” that do not have tables or chairs, but just an opening with a railing. The woman at the front desk who checked us in was happy to accommodate our request. Numerous reviewers had specifically said to avoid Building 6 because it was in the process of being renovated, so we were a bit wary when we found out our room was in Building 6. There was scaffolding present, but it turned out that they were simply doing some exterior painting, which did not cause any inconvenience or excessive noise, so it was really a non-issue. By the way, we thought the exterior of the entire property appeared very well maintained and the landscaping and grounds were beautiful. Attached is a map showing the layout of all the buildings within Harborside, which could help in determining which building might be preferable for your needs. Photos of our unit are also included.
Our room (#2782) was on the second floor and on the side of the building farthest away from the roadway that runs along one side of Building 6, so it was very quiet. We agree with all the reviewers who suggest asking for a room not facing or adjacent to the tunnel or roadway and not on the ground floor. The unit was immaculate, all the appliances that we used were in perfect working order, the furniture was up to date and in excellent condition, and the bed with large, fluffy pillows, was very comfortable. Even the sofa bed was comfortable according to our grandsons who slept on it. The towels were a generous size and were thick and soft and all the bed linens looked new and were of good quality with no signs of stains or wear. There were flat-screen TV’s in both the bedroom and living area. We were pleased to find an in-room safe that was large enough to accommodate all of our electronic devices in addition to wallets and passports. The bathroom was also immaculate and had a whirlpool tub with a shower and even had a lighted, magnified makeup mirror, which was a nice added touch. We had maid service daily with fresh towels every day. The clothes dryer in the unit came in very handy for bathing suits and for the clothes we were wearing the day we were caught outside during a sudden thunderstorm.
Most reviews comment on how expensive the food is, which is true, but there are ways to easily stretch your food budget. We walked over to the Marina Village shopping area, which is a short walk from Harborside, and bought a loaf of bread and some peanut butter and jelly. We had brought some Ziploc sandwich bags from home, so we made PB & J sandwiches and took them with us to the waterpark, along with snacks like pretzels and Chex Mix that we also brought from home. There is also a Dunkin’ Donuts shop in the Marina Village, so we had donuts for breakfast in our room two mornings, which was a special treat for the boys. We had dinner two nights and breakfast one morning at The Point restaurant, which is very conveniently located in Harborside with a lovely view of the marina, harbor (where you can see the cruise ships docked) and pool area. Being from the Midwest and having left several feet of snow still on the ground at home, we especially enjoyed the open-air dining atmosphere and swaying palm trees all around. The menu is somewhat limited, but we all managed to find something we liked and we thought the food was good. We had dinner one night at Anthony’s in the Marina Village and liked the food, atmosphere and service. Between us, we had the sirloin steak, ribs and coconut shrimp and would recommend all of them.
The entire Aquaventure water park was amazing and was definitely the main reason we chose to stay at the Atlantis. The boys loved all the slides and we all really enjoyed the river rapids ride, which was a continuous stream that you could enter or exit at numerous places along the route without waiting in any lines, so that was a nice change after waiting in lengthy lines for the most popular slides. At several places along the ride there would be a split where you could choose to go left or right with signs indicating what was ahead, so you could decide (quickly) if you wanted to stay on the tamer main route or take the other path to some of the slides, which were equal in excitement to the Serpent Slide in the Mayan Temple.
We also spent some time at Atlantis Beach one afternoon where the boys liked body-surfing in the waves. They were disappointed the next afternoon when we returned to the beach to find the red flag flying, which indicated the beach was closed to swimming due to heavy surf from the high winds. We walked over to Coral Towers to check out Predator Lagoon, the rope suspension bridge and the Predator Tunnel, all of which were impressive. Atlantis has so many different things to offer, there is always something fun to do.
This trip to Harborside and Atlantis in general was a Spring Break our grandsons will never forget and helped us all form special memories of our time together.

Room Tip: We want to thank the many reviewers who offered tips that we found very useful, such as requesting a...
8  Thank M_and_J_in_TC
Reviewed 2 April 2014

We stayed at Harborside over our spring break, March 10-15. Check in was quick and easy, and even though we arrived about noon, our condo was ready for us.

We were a multi-generational family of 5 (with boys 10 and 12) so this 2 bedroom 2 bath condo gave us the best option. Found its condition to be pretty typical of most vacation condo rentals. Most handy to us was having 2 bathrooms! Although we didn't really cook, we did have breakfast in the condo every day, so appreciated having the full kitchen. Brought breakfast items and snacks from home and stopped at the grocery store, particularly for bottled water to take to the park. (We just bought gallons and stuck them in the refrig to have cold water to refill our water bottles.) Also having the washer/dryer was a huge plus. We had clean dry clothes every day without packing a weeks worth. (Plus went home with clean clothes.) We did spend the $$ for a few days of internet.

Found the location to be excellent. Our room didn't have a particularly nice view but we weren't in the room very much anyway. Was a bit noisy at times (ground floor), but then it WAS spring break. We liked being close to Marina Village. We didn't take the shuttle since we found the walk to/from the park wasn't a problem, and we usually needed Starbucks or ice cream in Marina Village, or water from the grocery store, and always wanted to see the yachts. Also a very handy location to hop on the water taxi to Nassau.

The grounds were lovely and the pool area very nice, with beautiful views of water. Very handy to get wrist bands (and replacements) at the towel area.

I did find that on occasion the water in the bathrooms was a bit yellow but I didn't notice it in the kitchen and used ice from the icemaker with no problems.

This was our first time to Atlantis. It was a lot of fun and there was always something to do or see. I was surprised that it was not as crowded as I expected, and we didn't have problems getting loungers at the pools or the beaches, even though we didn't get to the park early. Lines for slides were not bad. We've been to Sea World and Disney during this time of year (spring break) and those parks were much more crowded.

We ate out most evenings in the Marina Village area, and although we weren't overwhelmed by our food choices, it was all fine, and that area was always entertaining.

Would recommend Harborside for families who want a kitchen and more space. And particularly if you want accommodations for a family of more than 4.

4  Thank Karnken
Reviewed 2 April 2014

We recently in the Atlantis Marina, slip 36. We had the best view, with just enough privacy. The guys at the marina are great! Especially Jackie and Louis. We had Food Stores 2 Go deliver our produce and fresh items. They were great. You set the time for delivery and they are there. Some items are a bit pricey, but well worth the convenience.
We have already booked our next stay there, can't wait!!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank raezyn
Reviewed 2 April 2014

This is a great exchange location for Starwood timeshare owners that want to experience Atlantis. There are many great things about the Harborside including; the location, the wristbands to allow you to access all the Atlantis waterpark festivities, the shuttle buses that take you over to all the Atlantis properties, the ability to cook in your unit (and save some money because Atlantis food prices are steep), and the beautiful views from the harbour. There are some things that could be improved though: the units are tired and need to be refreshed, the lobby area has internet access but at very limited times, and there are limited restaurant options on Harborside property other than the Pointe restaurant. The Atlantis is a fantastic area to explore but the major concern for most families or singles for that matter are the staggering food prices. If you want a good day excursion try Powerboat Adventures, have done it twice and would do it again.

Room Tip: The best rooms are the ones that face the marina and the Atlantis but right now the exterior is bein...
1  Thank soccermom13
Reviewed 1 April 2014

We rented someone else's timeshare for our visit to Harborside, and although the units themselves are a bit dated, all was clean and the service was great most of the time. They seem to be updating now, as there were painters around the outside the entire time we were there. Our unit had everything we needed in the kitchen, and having the washer/dryer was fantastic. The shuttle service to all Atlantis locations was efficient & convenient. You can easily walk as well, but if you are up for an easy ride instead, just wait for the bus! We used www.foodstore2go.com to have heavier items delivered to our unit the day we moved in and that worked well. Otherwise you can have your cab stop in Nassau on the way in from the airport, or there's a small market in the shopping area close to Harborside. The pool was big & beautiful, and there's a ping pong table, pool table, shuffleboard, hot tub, etc. etc. You have complete access to all things Atlantis, and the Harborside concierge has a list of daily activities available. Lots of things for kids and adults to do besides the waterpark and casino. No pressure to take timeshare tours - they mention it, but back down immediately if you say no. If you stay here, fight to get water front because if they put you in building 1 or 2 you might be adjacent to a busy 2-lane underpass like we were. Didn't keep me up at night in the bedroom, but my son slept in the living room and said the traffic did make it hard for him to sleep.

Room Tip: Good luck - do whatever you can to get a water view, or they might put you right on the edge of a ma...
2  Thank Kristin F
Reviewed 29 March 2014

Our family (two adults, five year old, two year old) returned yesterday from a stay of a bit under a week at Harborside at Atlantis. My wife and I had previously been to Atlantis before we had kids, but this was our first trip with the little ones. In short, we had a fantastic vacation.

Booking / air travel: We booked our trip through Southwest Airlines vacations (http://www.southwestvacations.com/), and flew non-stop on Airtran from BWI to NAS. We knew we wanted the particular flights we booked for schedule reasons, and booking this way got us the cheapest package vs. through Atlantis directly or hotels.com, expedia, etc. The advantage to going through SWA vacations was that we each got two free checked bags (total of 8) on Airtran, which normally charges $25 a bag. They tried to charge us on our return flight at NAS, but I told her we'd booked through SWA and she confirmed the bags were free. For us this was a $250 savings in baggage fees round trip. Airtran was otherwise fine. Flights were on time, but full to the last seat. It's what I've come to expect these days.

Ground transport: We declined airport transfers through the airline website (they wanted $44 per adult and $23 per child round trip, for a total of $134 for our family). We instead went through Sandra Ferguson's taxi (Fergie's taxi) based on strength of recommendations here, asking for car seats for our kids. The service was great -- cabs on time and waiting for us with signs, and car seats as requested (I did have to tighten one of them down when we first got in, but that's no biggie for me). They offered to do a grocery stop too, but we passed as we'd booked groceries in advance (see next paragraph). With tip it was just over $100 for us round trip.

Food: We knew how expensive food at Atlantis was, so we brought a suitcase full of non-perishables with us (cereal, condiments, cans of various things, etc.), and also put in an order for meat, fruit, bred and dairy products via foodstore2go.com. The $200 or so in groceries we brought / had delivered got us through most of our breakfasts and dinners, and we figure easily saved us $1000 in resort meals. Food store 2 go was as advertised, but we waited too long to book and so they had no more delivery windows on our first day. They also arrived about 30 minutes after the delivery window due to traffic delays. Island time and all... We ate a couple meals at the point restaurant at Harborside, and food it fine but expensive. The view was good, however. We also ate at a few of the snack bars in Aquaventure (expensive, mediocre), and a dinner at Bimini Road, which was good but not up to the price. Also service was affirmatively bad there -- the only really poor service we experienced.

Guest room: at Harborside, we had a ground floor one bedroom room facing back across the bridge. At check-in I asked about an upgrade to a two bedroom (we'd booked the smallest class of room with no balcony), and while they said no to that we were given a ground floor room with a patio. It was perfect for our family, and in better shape than I'd feared given some of the other posts I've read. Yes there were spots of mildew / water damage here and there, but it's the tropics. We also had some small ants in the kitchen area, but again same deal (if you've ever lived in Florida, they just sort of happen). So we kept the counter clean and put our food away fast and no big deal. Otherwise the beds were comfortable and appliances functional. We brought dish detergent and laundry detergent, but didn't need either as both were supplied. Our only gripe about Harborside was the checkout time. 10 AM was the policy, and they only extended us to 11 AM (we asked to 2 PM, and they said they couldn't do it).

Shuttle buses: we were skeptical about having to depend on buses to get around, but they were terrific. We never waited more than 10 minutes for one, and only once could not get on due to the bus being full (and in that instance a second was close behind). The signage on them is good, and travel time is short. For the cost savings relative to getting a full suite in the on-beach towers, we thought Haborside was a tremendous value even after factoring in bus waiting / travel time.

Aquaventure: great fun. Both our little ones, who are non-swimmers, loved Splasher's. Both also loved the lazy river by the beach tower. Our five year old loved the Current, but our two year old did not. They also both enjoyed wandering through the dig. We found the best spot to set up our things for the day was the deck chair area just south of Splashers, between Splashers and the spa. This gave us easy access to the current and Splashers, and let us walk to other places. We tried to keep our things stashed under a single deck chair, so as not to take up space we wouldn't use. We made sure to get our wrist bands and first set of towels at the pool at Harborside each day, as there was not ever a line and it saved us time on getting over to Aquaventure.

Transit lounge: on our checkout day, we put all our valuables in a small duffle bag, and gave the rest of our bags to the bellman at Harborside to store. We took the shuttle over to the Royal Tower, and went to the transit lounge where we got a free locker and locked up our valuables and trip home clothes. We used the pools until mid-afternoon, then went to the lounge and showered and changed. We hopped the shuttle back to Harborside, grabbed our bags, and were met by Fergie's daughter who drove us back to the airport. We were told we needed to be back at the airport three hours prior to departure, but even with the lines I think that adds a full 45 minutes you don't need. So we had time to kill in the airport. At least they had free wifi!

15  Thank warthog