“Not bad, but expected more....”

Atlantis - Harborside Resort
Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
Reviewed 19 September 2008

After reading some of the reviews, I quite frankly expected more. The resort is very accomodating yet it lacked some basic services. For a resort of this calibre -- even being a condo-type timeshare -- I would expect to be offered bell service when we checked in but we were not. I would expect to have daily complimentary coffee packets or dish soap in the unit if there is a coffeemaker and a dishwasher, but there was neither. I would expect to have pool wait service, but there was not. I would expect the bar could make a mojito ("We have no mint").
Okay, okay, maybe this is too much to ask, but oops, wait, we're in the Bahamas, right? No mojitos? But I would expect to at least have salt and pepper in the salt and pepper shakers!!!
They offered to have us listen to a timeshare spiel, but without any incentive! I would have almost opted to get some salt and pepper in exchange for a sales pitch. Make sure you inventory the unit, find out what's included, and then make your list for the grocery store trip...
Okay, maybe I'm being too harsh. Atlantis in itself was beautiful. The slides and pools and marine habitats are fantastic and unparalleled to any thing we have seen. The beaches were clean and -- in early September -- uncrowded. Every family should treat their children to this. True, newlyweds -- or any couples-- could find romance and relaxation here, but this is definitely a family-type treat.
All the service people at both Atlantis and Harborside were wonderful. We found the towel hut workers and shuttle drivers especially very helpful and friendly. We had great dinners at Bimini Road (a casual grill-type cafe) and Nobu (Japanese/sushi) and all the pool side cafes. Yes, they are pricey, but as long as you don't overdo with cocktails, you can stay on the reasonable side (less than $80). We weren't too impressed with Seafire Steakhouse. We had a better value for steak and prime rib between a sub roll at Quizno's across the street.
We were there at hurricane season, in fact, tropical storm Hanna was looming off to the east. The staff takes this very seriously, and very methodically they prepare for any kind of event, an act which made us both feel more at ease.
All in all it was a great week and we will be most assuredly going to return sometime soon. Next time we will know to buy or pack coffee, dish soap, mint and salt and pepper!

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank fishgirl6
Write a ReviewReviews (1,738)

Reviewed 3 September 2008

Our family stayed in a 3 bedroom unit at the Harborside Atlantis in August of 2008. We rented directly from the owner off of Craig's list. The unit itself was very nice and well appointed.

There are 8 of us, my husband and me and our 6 kids ages 11, 15, 16, 17, 18 and 19. We all had a great time. This is a great place for people of all ages as there is so much to do. Everyone wants to go back!

The pools, water slides and beaches are glorious. You could spend a week there and sit at a different pool area each day. It does not get boring. There is so much to see and it is all really clean.

There is a club for kids of different ages which is really fun and cool for them. They can go in with other kids their age and play games, go on the internet, dance and socialize. There is a movie theater which plays fairly current movies daily - for free. 18 year olds can gamble and drink, so our older ones thought that was really fun.

The spa was also truly amazing. They had a special menu for kids and teens with reduced prices which I thought was really nice. We were able to book each kid a treatment.

We packed food with us and ate breakfast and lunches in the room and then had our dinners at the wonderful restaurants in the resorts. We made our reservations ahead of time which really helped. Mesa Grill, Carmines and Nobu were our favorite.

The only issue we had was with the technology in the room. It was unacceptable. We were unable to dial out to the states on our room phones or get internet access. After several days of frustration and calls with the front desk and their tech support staff, they indicated that their high speed internet service did not work with Macintosh. We were unable to use either of our 2 laptops during our entire stay. We were told the two charges for weekly access would be credited. They did not show up on our billing statement when we checked out so we assumed all was well. They did however appear on our statement along with an additional charge for cleaning which we have also disputed and are still struggling with

We spoke with the manager, Helga (or Ingrid – something like that) and complained that we were having a terrible time with not only the internet, but also the phones in our rooms. We were unable to dial outside of the hotel. It was terrible and EXTREMELY frustrating as my husband and I both needed to call and check e-mails several times daily for work. It took the better part of the week to determine that we could not get internet access or use our phones. We spend countless hours trying different things, waiting for technicians to come to the rooms and attempt to repair – all to no avail. We were requesting some kind of compensation for our inconvenience – and she said she would take care of us. She never followed up, the problems were not corrected, and now we are still wasting time dealing with this issue! This is not right.

2  Thank IAS-KC
Reviewed 29 August 2008

We stayed at Harborside due to another ownership in a Starwood Vacation Ownership property. I traveled with my husband and kids ages 9 and 12. Harborside is co-owned by the people who own Atlantis and Starwood. The units are condos and come in a variety of sizes. You can rent there from current owners or sometimes from Atlantis. Staying at Harborside has the same privileges as staying at Atlantis. Wristbands and towels are easy to get at the Harborside pool before hopping the Harborside shuttle to whatver location you want to go to (Cove, Royal Tower, Coral Tower, Beach Tower). The shuttles come frequently and are easy to ride.

By staying at Harborside you have a kitchen. This is very helpful if you're going to be there for more than a couple of days. The smallest units have a 2 burner stove, but unless you're a gourmet cook you don't need more than 2 burners for dinner. We stopped at the grocery store on the way in, but Harborside also has a daily shuttle to the grocery store. Food prices are very expensive compared to the US, so you might consider packing some nonperishables or a soft cooler with food. Don't take fruit or vegetables, and check the Bahamas website for what should not be brought into the country.

We spent most of our time in the Aquaventure section of the waterpark, along with the Cove beach. The Cove beach is quieter and less crowded than the Atlantis beach and is closer to the mile long lazy river. The kids enjoyed using their water goggles to look at the fish in the reefs, so full snorkling equipment isn't required.

The best restaurant we ate at was the Mesa Grill. The southwestern/Bahamas fusion food was excellent, with beautiful preparation and great flavor blending. The Marina Pizza had good thin crust pizza for dinner. A medium pizza filled the 4 of us for dinner.

The Dolphin Cay experience is great for older kids. The kids have to be comfortable swimming in deep water to experience it, recommended age 10. But 9 year old strong swimmers could probably do it.

Overall we loved our week at Harborside and are planning a return trip in a couple of years.

3  Thank clsmit
Reviewed 19 August 2008

We own a timeshare here and this is our 5th trip here in 5 years.
Maintenance is really starting to lack on these units. Oversized screws holding hinges in place, but preventing doors from closing, even the housekeeping door on our floor will not close and is left part way open all of the time. The pool towels are very thin and full of holes.
My front door has been physically broken since check in. Everyday I report it, someone comes up and looks at it, says it needs replaced, then I get a new excuse or time frame for repairs. I am now convinced that this door will remain broken my entire stay.
Housekeeping was a joke. Sandy swept the carpet with a broom instead of using the vacuum cleaner in the unit. She never entered the kitchen to clean, and did not wipe down any surface areas. Only after a call to housekeeping did she return and make some attempt to do her job.
I am being charged $14.95 per day for internet service that shuts down after about 10 minutes. The IT Department said others in my building are having problems also, and they need to come over here to look at it. The front desk said it may take 3 to 4 days for them to come over,
All of these concerns and others have been reported to the front desk as well as the proper departments. I am always told someone will follow up with me, but they never have. I was told 4 days ago that Ms. Morrison (the manager?) would contact me. She has not.
I hope management, employees, and maintneance can turn it around and make this an enjoyable place to stay like it once was. The current staff and management is perfected at blowing off my concerns, not following up on issues, and making excuses. That, I am sure, was not the original Atlantis / Harborside intention.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank IowaRon&Deb
Reviewed 17 August 2008

Tweleve years ago was our first experience. At the time, we stayed at the beach tower. You see, there was only two to choose from beach and coral. Loved it but, had a death in the family and suddenly had to fly home. We got the news after dinner, and everyone who would be able to help us with arrangements to get home, was gone. I was fortunate and the staff at the front desk helped us, they booked our flights and had a cap waiting for us in the early am. Never thought my husband would want to go back because that death experience. I was wrong.

A few years later, we were in Florida for a wedding. We made a decision to go back to the Atlantis but, to curtail cost stayed at the the Comfort Suites. It was fine and allowed us to experience the Atlantis again. Loved it the first time and could not believe how it had grown. Loved it even more the second time.

Our third trip was Easter a year agao. Loved it and as our children were growing, each activity was new to us. We did listen to the Harborside sales pitch for $200.00 said no and then, was offered the explorer package.

Our fourth trip we stayed at the Harborside as guest, for the package. Had a two bedroom lockout for six people in bldg 7. Upon arrival had one bar of soap for two bathrooms. One bedspread for two beds and a stopped up bathroom sink with water standin in it. Quickly made phone calls to correct things. Our rooms were ok but really in need of being updated, Of course we were informed bld 7 was to be gutted ins Sept. That didn't help us in Aug. Glad to have one walk in shower because mom could not step into the tub. The larger of the two suites had no privacy from the bedroom into the hallway to the bathroom. If someone was drying their hair the person in bed was not able to sleep because of the noise. It seems there was a doorjam where a door may have once been but, no more. No one of course used the soaking tub due to the lack of privacy. However, the one thing that really irritated us was the surprise charge for maid service and utilities per day, per person. It cost us $115.00 per day x 7 days. I fee we were not expecting at all. No mention of this came with the info for the explorer package. And, it was as we were told because we were guest not owners. I made sure our room was cleaned and filled with fresh towels everday and I used the washer and dryer since I was paying all the additional monies. We listed to the sales pitch again. It takes Starwood seven years to update their property. We did not buy anything at their price. Should we buy, we will buy from someone looking to sell at a fraction of the cost. All in all though, we knew what to expect re:high cost of food etc so that was not a surprise and yes, my family and parents had a wonderful time.

Reviewed 10 August 2008

We found this timeshare property on E Bay...1 week for a Villa that slept 4 [2 adults in a king size bed & 2 kid 12 & 14 in a pull out sofa bed.] We found a posting on Tripadvisor for a Taxi Driver named Cheryl Ferguson and as stated she was wonderful. Her business has tripled since the posting so here is her number to call her in advance [--]. She is friendly honest and informative. The room and the view were wonderful. But a quick note DO NOT USE THE ROOM PHONE TO CALL THE USA. A 20 min call was about $60 US$. The Harborside timeshare had a great pool that was always ½ empty; it was like having a private pool. The Villa was great and saved us a lot of food money. Cheryl took us to the market and we picked up supplies. We also packed a suitcase full of snacks and cereals and other food.
The numerous pools at the Atlantis are all beautiful as well as the beach and lagoon. Be ready to walk it felt like everything was so spread out. The food was priced very high a burger was about $14 bucks. The cheapest place at Atlantis that we found was Murray’s Deli…we each had an appetizer the kids had soup and my wife and I shared a hot opened turkey sandwich, very good and about $70 with tip. Oh and they put the tip in for everything if you buy anything even a $5.00 drink they add 15% gratuity onto your room card. The rides are great but some are very scary. My girls love rides but they skipped a few of these. The sun is STRONG wear sun block first day every day. OK getting tired of typing but my wife and kids loved loved loved the straw market…they sell the knock off bags right out in the open and I know it’s wrong but they loved buying them [I sat at Senior Frogs also very fun]. Everyone says the people are not friendly, but I found there to be a mix of friendly and not so friendly. Sometimes I just think that we are in the speedy mode and they are in the Caribbean mode, and ya know what their mode is better!

5  Thank STEVE10312
Reviewed 29 July 2008

My family stayed at Harborside Resort from July 20th to July 27th 2008. This was our second vacation at Harborside and it was even more special than the first.

The rooms here are spacious and comfortable.They are quite clean and the maids came in every day.Whether you choose maid service or not, you still have to pay for it.. There is a charge for maid gratuity and an energy charge each day per person of your stay, so be aware of this.

Atlantis is amazing. The new section with the Cove and Reef is beautiful and we found ourselves going there each day. The Cove Beach is serene and the view is unbelievable. It is also close to the pool at the Cove and it was not crowded and the Power Tower is right there as well. A walk through the Cove Hotel should not be missed. Here you can see different ponds and decor/architecture.

My three sons were kept busy with all of the water slides, the rapids and wave pool rides. They all went jet skiing and snorkeling and rented the water bikes at the lagoon. We all loved to walk the grounds each day and we always found something new to see.

This visit, we selected to do the meal plan. My family loves the breakfast buffets so this was the way to go for us. At dinner, you had many restaurant choices and you could either go to a restaurant for a four course dinner or to a restaurant with a buffet. While those of you who have been to Altlantis know how expensive the restaurants are, you do save a little going with the meal plan. Again, be aware that the15% gratuity is not included in the meal plan. It is extra and depending on the amount of your dinner bill it can be quite costly on top of what you already spent on the plan. Drinks are also not included. We also tended to over eat so if we go to Atlantis again, I do not know whether we will do the meal plan.

While some people on this site say that Atlantis is dirty and is changing, it is not because of the staff but because of the guests. We saw many people leave their garbage poolside, where it could be blown into the water instead of walking it to a garbage pail. Some people changing infants left their soiled diapers instead of disposing of them. Guests on the beach left their cigarettes and trash.The staff at Atlantis quickly pick sup garbage and dirty towels.

We also found the Bahamian People to be warm and welcoming. Everyone greeted us each day and were quite eager to make our stay a good one. I want to say thank you to Joy and Ensea, two beautiful ladies with personalities to match who made this vacation memorable and were very helpful. We appreciate all of your help!

We cannot wait to plan a third Harborside/Atlantis vacation!

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family