“Harborside Delivers Again”

Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
Boston, MA
“Harborside Delivers Again”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

We have owned a timeshare at Harborside for 8 years. Our vacations there have always been great and this year was no exception. First, a few tips:
1. If you use a pullout couch in your room, ask for an extra duvet
2. Visit the Beach Tower - it has a great lobby and is only steps from the beach
3. Negotiate for a taxi to and from - for 8 people it was only $70
4. Watching them feed the fish was worth the effort in locating the specific spot
5. Take advantage of the water slides when the Cruise ships are Not in port.
6. Sign up for the Cartoon Network Beach obstacle course as soon as you arrive. It’s very busy and times fill up quickly.
7. Get your wrist bands at Harborside, the lines are much much shorter.
8. Slot machine challenge is free and Fun!

The HS pool is great. Bring balls and throw toys to maximize pool fun. They added music this year, which really enhances the pool experience.

HS shuttles are hit or miss. Sometimes you wait, sometimes you don't.

Two 13 yr olds LOVED Rush club! 16 yr old loved Crush! And it gives adults some alone time.

Other fun things we did - Stuart’s Cove Scuba - resort dive. If you’re into challenging yourself, this is a great thing to do. Deep Water Dolphin Swim - Dolphin Cay at the Cove - a little pricey, and the underwater part you see on the brochure is more than likely not exactly what you’ll experience, but it was a lot of fun. Cartoon Network Movie night is a good time. You sit outside on blankets and watch a few cartoons. The free sunglasses alone are worth going. For my 7 year old, the Junior Trainer program was great. 4 hours of feeding with the Sea Lion and helping feed the other sea creatures was the highlight of our vacation for him.

The Point restaurant offers good food and a great view. All in all, Harborside is fabulous!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank N0t4Us

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (416)
  • Polish first
Wilmington, Delaware
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2014

I've been to the Bahamas three times and to Harborside twice now. I am a timeshare owner, and my wife and I are still questioning our decision to own. Atlantis is a great resort, and Harborside owners can fully enjoy everything that it has to offer including Aquaventure, the free movies, and all of the eateries. It also has its own exclusive pool, shuttles, and fitness center. It's a great place to bring your family and you can stay on Atlantis property for the whole trip and see just about everything you want to see.

There is a cost. For example, the dolphin encounter is priced much higher than an independent excursion to the Blue Lagoon. Also, food on the island is way overpriced (and not that good). Preparing and making your own food at the villas can save on food costs, but it takes away from the vacation experience. And if you want the best authentic Bahamian seafood, you have to take a taxi to the Fish Fry ($5 per person) just to get there.

The worst part of our trip was the check in. Long story short, don't expect that just because check-in starts at 4pm, you will get into your room at 4pm. It took us over two hours to get into our room during our most recent visit. So don't do your grocery shopping until you're sure that you're in the room. Instead, try to kill two birds with one stone. Our taxi driver was willing to swing by the market on the way back from the Fish Fry for the same price. Have your shopping list ready and assure him that you'll be quick.

The check-in really gave us a bad taste. The resort should really look into overhauling the whole process.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank David L
Plymouth, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

I planned a girls trip that included 7 of us. We had the best time! Even with a few power and water outages, the front desk was on top of it. They were great from check-in to check-out. The 2 bedroom lock-off unit was perfect for us. I requested a roll away and it was very comfy. Loved having washer & driers. We used the shuttle and walked-depending on where we were going. The shuttle drivers were always pleasant and welcoming-even at 2am!! Loved having a pool and restaurant on -site. We stopped at a grocery and liquor store on the way from the airport-I would strongly suggest this. can't wait to return.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Kll6178
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

This is my third time at Atlantis- Harborside. It is in a great location and the room are spacious. They are updated every ten years. Most staff remain courteous and helpful. The three stars basically stems from the management of the power outage and the failure of the backup generators. Both had apparently failed several times over the summer. Starwood does not appear to have effective systems in place for infrastructue investments, communication with guests, or addressing complaints. So, if you are lucky enough not to have a power outage or other emergency, you should have a wonderful stay. If not, expect long waits and conflicting message. In the worst case scenario, never take anything the staff says as true and take a position others may view as unaccommodating. People that elected that route appeared to get better and more humane service, like not being kicked out of with no place to go at 11 am, given larger rooms suitable to their family size, and not having to check in and out three times. In short, the squeaky wheel get the oil at Harborside. This is unfortunate for such a great resort.

Room Tip: Building 5 is near the pool. Since there seems to be power problems, I would request Building 7, w...
4 Thank KayBee698
Alexandria R, Guest Relations Manager at Atlantis - Harborside Resort, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Dear Kay,

It fills me with great pride to know that you enjoy Harborside so much that continue to come back year after year. I would like to sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused by the interruption in the power supply. This was an unprecedented event due to circumstances beyond our control. I want to thank you for providing such helpful feedback on areas where service can be improved as this will help to make us even better at serving you. Please know that we are constantly training in an effort to improve our reactions in these situations. Thank you for your feedback and we hope to welcome you again soon for a more enjoyable stay.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

My family and I just returned from Harborside Resort, our stay was 7/28/14-8/1/2014. I have to say that the Atlantis as a whole is a beautiful resort. There is so much to do for all ages, you wont be disappointed! The resort is huge so if you don't like to walk this may not be the resort for you. Harborside rooms are nice and updated. The only thing I noticed is that the floors didn't look like they were vacuumed prior to our arrival. The food was amazing! We chose to eat at Olives, Carmines, Seafire Steakhouse, and Virgils BBQ. The prices are expensive but we paid for the meal plan prior to arrival. The downfall to the whole trip is that Harborside's power went out for
2+ days and to be honest ruined our trip. One evening we slept in the dark with nothing to do, as we have a little one so its not like we were able to enjoy scenery late evening. The next day was disaster as my husband spent hours in the lobby of the hotel finding out where we were going to stay that evening and he spent hours the following day to make arrangements as the power in building 6 never came back on. The resort did the best they could to accommodate everyone, but they cant replace the time we lost to spend together as a family. During the year most families lose time together as the hustle and bustle of life gets in the way. This trip was time away from work and everything else to just relax and enjoy family time together and that didn't happen.

6 Thank kristy m
Dear Kristy,

Thank you for choosing Harborside as your vacation destination and for taking the time to share your feedback on your stay with us. It seems that you did enjoy the property and facilities and for that I am happy. However, I would like to apologize for the inconvienience caused by the disruption in the power supply. It was due to circumstances beyond our control. Once again, thank you for your review and I look forward to hosting your family again for a more enjoyable stay.
Freehold, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

loved the beach and the pools and the waterpark. The hotel was very nice. however, the staff was about 70% rude and 30% nice. Also drinks are ridiculously priced and so is the food. Definitely a place for people who dont care about spending lots of money! but it was beautiful and if i could afford to go back, i probably would!

3 Thank Samantha23rae
Oregon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

Wow what a trip! I am giving a 3 star because of the many positives of the Harborside property itself. How the management dealt with a very serious power outage lasting 2+ days (it was still out when we left) was outrageous. I spent a long time reading the reviews before leaving so as to be prepared and the awesome TA's devotee's were extremely helpful! If I had NOT read we would have spent far more money and wished we had brought certain items from home. I will outline the what I learned and tips to the best of my ability.

We traveled with 9, ages 20 months to 71 years.

1. Harborside is an excellent choice if you want to be very close to the water slides and Marina, and save some money. Each place has a kitchenette or full kitchen. We had a two room lockoff which provided plenty of space (2 fridges, 2 cooktops, 2 microwaves, W/D,etc). Building 6 where we stayed had been recently remodeled and was fine. Nothing fancy but it's not like you hang out in your room down there. Sofa pull out in both as well....very uncomfortable but it's a sofa pull out. Beds were great.

2. Harborside has a nice pool with drinks and The Pointe restaurant. You can also watch the many huge yachts come in to dock in the marina. We spent lots of time there after being on water slides all morning.

3. Took the advice of many and brought non-perishables from home. We all brought about 10 pounds of food each and it was eaten! Mac n cheese, jerky, trail mix, nuts, oatmeal, bars, tea, coffee, instant drink (crystal light), pretzels, peanut butter, protein powder, etc.

4. Shop on the way to your hotel. When you schedule a ride from the airport make sure to ask to stop at the Super Value on Mackey Street. We scheduled our ride with Fergies Taxi at Coral Wave. The owners daughter was our driver, she was so fun and informative. This is a great driving company, I highly recommend them. They will wait for you while you shop. There is a large liquor store there as well. Beer is super expensive (52$ for a case of Heinekin!) even the local beer will cost 7$ a can and up on Paradise Island. Wine and booze is cheaper. Prices were not much higher than what I pay in the states. We did have to make a second run to the store and opted for the hotel shuttle that takes people to a different and much more expensive, Whole Foods type store. Don't make the same mistake we did unless you want to pay much much more for your food.

5. Check in isn't until 4pm and if you arrive early as we did we were concerned about perishables in the heat. We brought a collapsible cooler with us and were so glad we did! We used that cooler each time we went to the pool. Many people do this and it's better than buying expensive drinks all day.

6. Shuttles run every 15 minutes or sooner all over Atlantis. We took them multiple times a day to pop over to the water slides or the Reef hotel. Great and very efficient. The seats are covered in plastic so you can be in your wet bathing suit and not worry. Which 95% of people are walking around in suits and coverups anyway.

7. We ordered a stroller and it took a day and half to get it...there was much confusion and it was very frustrating. We had to go to another hotel to pick it up. This is when we began to notice that you can ask the exact same question to 5 different people and get 5 different answers. This continued throughout the trip.

8. Water slides require a bracelet that is good daily or all week depending on who you talk to. I was asked to get a new one the second day and then they told me my new one was good all week...go figure. I recommend getting your bracelet at the Harborside pool. If you wait until atlantis you can easily wait in line for 30 minutes depending on the time of day. Water slides were awesome, we went every single day, loved it. The ground is very very hot late in the day and I saw many people burning their feet. Wear flip flops or water shoes. We ate at the slides and it wasn't too expensive. The kids deals are pretty good: 7$ hot dog, chips and a drink. They did have salads for 11$. Beer 7$, delicious boozy drinks $10.

9. The aquarium inside the main building of Atlantis is unreal. we walked through it with the kids many times. It is especially cool at night. This is a must do. If you enter it from the exterior by the Cartoon Network lagoon, it's called 'The Dig".

10. Cruise ships seemed to arrive on Friday, Saturday and Sunday then again tuesday. This greatly increases the amount of people at the water park so go early and then head back over around 4.

11. We ate at Bimini road twice, great food and super for families. We went to Montague and unfortunately it was a very off night. Servers, the bartender and the driver all apologized saying they were understaffed. Pizza at the Marina one night which was very good and quick. Just get there early to jockey for a table outside. Last night we ate at the buffet in the Reef Hotel as were sent there due to the power being out. It was super awesome but 50$ pp and alcohol is expensive.
=/-
12. After 24 hours of no power, air, or water: Harborside moved 275 +/- people to other hotels. This was very confusing stressful and tough for all. They wanted people to completely pack up and head to either the Reef or Coral towers for 24 hours, then check out, come back and wait to see if the power was back on. If not you would then move back to another hotel. That made zero sense to us, especially when spending one whole day packing, trying to communicate with Harborside (which was a total joke) then trying desperately to find rooms next to eachother at the Reef. We opted to not check out the second day and luckily we did not. The many who followed Harborside's directions ended up wasting another day waiting for info and lugging their bags around or waiting in the heat by the pool. When the power was still not on, The Reef just let us stay in the same room. Those that checked out had a much more difficult time. Please see my write up for The Reef, they were incredibly accommodating and that hotel is awesome! A BIG step up from Harborside that is for sure. If I could have afforded it I would stay at the Reef.

All in all, Atlantis is super cool and a very fun experience. It is expensive and you need to be prepared to spend some money. Next time I go to Nassau I would stay somewhere else and really explore the history of the island. I would also scuba dive more. Lastly, I do think that Harborside is a great place to stay. Many we spoke too said that something like this had never happened before and they were not prepared to deal with it. However, I would not want to be stuck there in a hurricane or a natural disaster without some planning.

13 Thank LIVIN
Dear Livin,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on your stay at Harborside Resort. It is filled with such helpful information! Unfortunately, while you were here, we experienced an interruption in the power supply, due to circumstances beyond our control. I would again like to apologize for any inconvenience caused. However, I am thrilled to see that you were stil able to make the best of a trying situation and enjoy your vacation. Once again, thank you for your review and I hope to welcome you back soon for a more enjoyable stay.