“Atlantis was a fabulous family vacation!”

Atlantis - Harborside Resort
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
Reviewed 9 September 2009

We stayed in a 900 sq. ft unit at the Harborside Resort on Atlantis. It was spacious, clean & very comfortable. It had nice touches like granite counters and a completely equipped kitchen that made it feel more like home. Atlantis was truly paradise! We have 3 kids - 14, 10 and 4. Everyone had plenty to do and see. We played at Aquaventure almost every day! We took a snorkeling tour with Stuart's Cove - it was fabulous! We even swam with reef sharks - eek! We took the city tour - it was great - got us away from Atlantis to see the island's many sites! We also ate most of our dinners on the island - highly recommend Luciano's, the Fish Fry and The Poop Deck - especially the one at Sandyport - it offers beach dining - that was incredible! At Atlantis, the my 10 y/o loved the race track. We all had a lot of laughs at the Comedy Show. We enjoyed touring the dig & I had a great massage at Mandara Spa. The shuttles made everything close and convenient. The water ferry is fun for a visit to the straw market. And, Marina Village was great for eating & shopping. Don't bother with any of the island's malls - they are terrible! Snorkeling at Atlantis' many private beaches is also wonderful - lots of colorful sea life! My youngest loved visiting Dolphin's Cay and feeding, playing with a Sea Lion. And, my husband loved the casino. An incredible vacation with lifelong memories!

2  Thank Darla84
Write a ReviewReviews (1,767)

Reviewed 6 September 2009

This was our first time staying at the Harborside Atlantis. We purchased two years ago. We read lots of reviews from this site and they were very helpful. As everyone knows by now, everything is expensive food, beverages etc. But if you plan well, you can come out a winner.
As many suggested we used C. Ferguson taxi to pick us up from the airport. We were 2 adults and three children. She dropped us off at Harborside, and waited for us to unload our luggage, so I could go to the city market to purchase some items. At the market I purchased some fruit, water, apple juice, orange juice and a few bags of the dole caesar salads, we love to eat salads for lunch and dinner. I also purchased some beers and bahama mama mixed drink made by Barcardi at the liquor store across from the market.
We made out a meal plan for the week. Breakfast items were bacon, sausage,waffles, 2 sticks of butter, they were all frozen and packed in a soft sided cooler and carried on the plane. Pancake mix, cereal, oatmeal, syrup, bagels and the eggs which we purchased when we arrived. Lunch items were cold cuts, ham, turkey and cheese, small club rolls and Italian bread which were all purchased the morning we left. Frozen chicken nuggets, meatballs (one of my kids don't like cold cut sandwiches) and smucker's crustables. Just pack the cooler with lunch, snacks and drinks, and you could spend the entire day at the pool and beach. We also made BLT's sandwiches for lunch. We made caesar salads with some left over cutlets or cold cuts. We purchased lunch one day by the pool. Dinner was all pre made meals which we prepared the night before we left. We made fried chicken cutlets, enough for two nights, one night we had it with instant rice. The other night we made chicken cutlet parm. We froze the sauce and cheese. We had problems operating the micro/convection oven combo at first. We made some clam sauce and packed the pasta. With the left over cheese and sauce we made pizza's we purchased Boboli pizza crust and we made 6 personal pizza's. Bring foil paper, ziplocks bags, etc. We ate at Carmine's one night we had some left overs, and Bimini Road another night. The last night we ate all the leftovers.
We bought some powder mix of lemonades. Coffee filters (mr. coffee type) and coffee. I have a child that drinks lots of milk, and one that could only drink soy milk, so we brought parmalot and soy silk in our suitcases. Lots of snacks, popcorn, cookies, chips and even some betty crocker warm delights.
Some suggestions you could purchase waters by the gallon, gatorades and snacks if you run out from the shops across from the marina village, cheaper than going to the market. If I could have purchased the fruits and salad at these shops I would not waste my time at the large market.
The best beach is the cove beach take the shuttle to the cove and it's just like paradise. We had our snorkel stuff so we were able to view the fish as we feed them bread at the beach.
If you purchase the card for the video game room, and you have some money left over, and you plan on returning. Don't throw the card away, the money never expires.
The shuttles come every 10-15 mins, and if it's not hot you could just walk over to the marina village and work your way over to the Coral Towers.
The unit was great 2 bdrm lockoff, the floors were very dirty but everthing else was clean. A few items were missing from the unit, but since we had the 2 units we used some stuff from there, at the end of the week someone came a replaced some of the items that were missing. We waited a bit long for a crib to arrive the first night.
If you have any questions, you could contact me.

5  Thank travelinfam5
Reviewed 26 August 2009

I was lucky enough to have a family vacation at the Harborside in mid May 2009. The grounds were beautiful, the weather FANTASTIC. We mainly stayed on the grounds, using the various pools and water slides. The accomodations were great, there was a full kitchen, so we could go to the store ( which was a bus ride away) and get groceries. They were a bit expensive, so bring as much as you can with you. We also swam with the dolphins but did not do the one that was at the Atlantis, in talking to others, the better one was www.dolphinencounters.com which you take a ferry to a private island and can hang out on the private beach for the day (for a fee of course) and then go to your encounter when it is time. They had dolphins and sea lions here. I cannot wait to go back to the Atlantis!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family
4  Thank kkstirn
Reviewed 26 August 2009

I read all of the reviews on Harborside and it really helped me in planning my trip. This is certainly a way to go to Atlantis without the huge costs of going and staying in a hotel. Being able to make our own meals saved a ton of money while enjoying the attractions of Atlantis.

The resort is off the main Atlantis campus, but there were shuttle buses that ran frequently and werent much of a problem.

We brought non perishable food in a box as a carry on. I brought pasta, tuna in packets, condiments, coffee, sugar, bagels, oil and vinegar, spices, napkins, water, instant oatmeal, cookies, etc. The food made it fine on the plane and through customs.

We checked in on Saturday and had a great room, but had to wait until after 5 pm for our room. I recommend getting to Harborside, checking in, and getting your wristbands for Atlantis and checking out the lay of the land at Atlantis while you wait for your room.

I agree with other posters that at Atlantis, the Cove Beach is the best, and the Baths Pool is the least crowded. When cruise ships were in town, the main pools and the Aquaventure were really crowded. We recommend getting there early. I think other posters summed up the Atlantis attractions and tips very well.

Harborside has a shuttle to take you to the grocery store every day. I went on Sunday and it was good and had a decent selection, good enough for what we needed. Check the prices for different brands, as they differ widely for relatively the same product. nice young men loaded the groceries into the bus and off we went.

We ate breakfast in our room and I packed lunch in a backpack cooler every day. We brought lunch and snacks over to Atlantis and ate at our chairs. It worked really well.
We made dinner in our villa at night, and frankly, our kids were so tired from the slides and pools, I couldnt imagine having to get dressed for dinner.

The one thing I highly recommend are cheap flip flops or water shoes. The concrete is SO hot that I burned the bottom of my feet the first day. From then on, I wore flip flops to the attractions, and even brought them in the current and rapids and kept them wedged on my lap. You really cannot go anywhere in the resort without burning your feet if you dont have flip flops.

My kids still cannot stop talking about going to Dolphin Encounters. My kids wanted to swim with Dolphins. I checked out the Atlantis one that they market really heavily and wasnt impressed. It was also really expensive. I found another attraction called Dolphin Encounters that I HIGHLY recommend. It is in a Blue Lagoon that is on a private island. We walked to the ferry right on Paradise Island, right outside Harborside, and took a great ride over to this private island. You can get Dolphin program tickets, or you can just get a Beach Day, which includes beach toys, lunch, a day on the Beach, and a chance to observe the dolphin programs. I wasnt sure the swim was worthy the money, so I bought the Beach day. It was a beautiful beach and we felt like we were in a movie. It wasnt crowded (unlike the Atlantis beaches) and we got tubes and mats and hung out. My kids got to watch the dolphin programs, my daughter and husband went snorkeling and we had a fantastic day. After seeing the programs, I definitely think the cost of the Dolphin Swim and feeding is worth it. I can really see how it would be a once a lifetime experience. The people doing it were having a fantastic time. Whether you do the Dolphin Program or the Beach Day, I cant recommend it enough. I feel like we found a hidden gem that we need to share with other travelers.

If you want to go out one night, the Atlantis Kids club has a night program. It was really fun for my 6 year old, but a little too young for my 11 year old. However, it was 4 hours of adult time where my husband and I went to the casino and had a night out together without the kids.

6  Thank rrlawgirl
Reviewed 19 August 2009

This was my family’s first trip to Harborside, Atlantis and actually to the Bahamas. We've just returned from a 7 night stay in their Premium Villa. Sunday August 9th to Sunday August 16th. I rented the Villa through a private owner and it was worth every penny spent. Checking in, the front desk was very accommodating and I saw no signs of rudeness as I have read in previous posts. The only thing that I can say is if you plan to arrive before 4:00 pm chances are your villa will not be ready. Be prepared to either sit by the pool or get your bracelets and towels and head over to the Atlantis. We opted to sit by the pool because it was very hot that day. Don't worry about your luggage because they will take it to your villa for you, even if the villa is not ready. This was not a problem for us because I read other reviews on this site that suggested we be prepared to wait. I did spend about $70 at the snack bar in the 4 ½ hours I had to wait though. I bought two Pina Colada’s for me, two waters, a Caesar Salad and two Hot Dog Combo’s for my daughters.
The Villa's are not elegant, nothing fancy but it was perfect for us. Having two girls 5 & 8 I was happy to see that the place was comfortable and not too stiff. We had a King size bed and a Queen size pull out for them. The bathroom had a Jacuzzi tub and a stand up shower. The kitchen was small but had everything we needed. There was a stackable washer and dryer which was great to have. No WIFI in building 4 though, that was disappointing. Nice balcony… although I did not get a view of anything fabulous. Wednesday morning we smelled a strong fish odor and I called the front desk, they were on it immediately. I tried to let them know that I thought that it was coming from next door because it smelled like someone opened a cooler with old fish in it. They sent someone to not only check out the situation but to clean my carpets and put odor neutralizers in my air conditioning vents. By the time that I got back that evening everything was normal again. They cleaned the room on Wednesday and we could get anything we needed, toilet paper, garbage bags, dishwasher detergent, paper towels, from the cleaning crew the days in between. I brought Pasta & Light Alfredo Sauce, Mushrooms, Peas, Parmesan Cheese, Regular Pasta Sauce, Tortilla's & Cheddar Cheese for Quesadilla’s, Tuna, Mayo for wraps, Peanut Butter and Jelly, Mini Bagels, Cookies, Granola Bars, Popcorn, Mac and Cheese, Coffee, Sugar, Salt & Pepper, Detergent. The second day I was there I took the shuttle ($7 per person) over to the shopping center. I went to the liquor store and spent $31.95 on 1 six pack of Red Stripe Beer ($16.25 a six pack is expensive for beer, I would bring my own next time but considering they are $7.50 each at Atlantis I still saved) and a big bottle of Captain Morgan. I walked across the parking lot to the grocery store and spent $107. I bought Milk, Orange Juice, a case of 20oz waters, 2 big cans of Pineapple/ Mango Juice, Eggs, Bacon, Canadian Bacon, Butter, more Bagels, a big bag of the individual bags of potato chips, sun block, tubes. Ok so this is a lot of food but I was meeting my friend and her family who would be eating at my Villa here and there and the food ended up going pretty fast. My husband arrived on Wednesday and we ended up making a second trip to the shopping plaza Thursday and bought more beer/ liquor and food/ water spending another $200 because again, the food went pretty fast. I would skip the peanut butter, jelly, popcorn & mac and cheese next time. I ended up bringing it home with me.
Dinners: Sunday night we ate in, Monday and Tuesday night we went to Anthony's Caribbean Grill in the Paradise Village Shopping Center across from Marina Village. The food was pretty good and reasonable. Their BBQ wings were awesome. The kids enjoyed their pizzas. We paid about $160 for 7 people tip included on both nights. Wednesday night I cooked for the kids and used Harborside’s babysitting service for 4 kids which ended up costing us $176 for 4 hours. Very over priced but worth it for some adult time. (I think there are other options if you get to know the locals). The adults went out to eat at Bimini Road in the Marina Village. The food and service were good. The atmosphere was fun. We paid about $170 tip included for 4 adults. The Marina was really romantic at night. We walked around afterwards and looked at the beautiful Yacht’s. That was nice. Thursday from 4pm til 7pm we put the kids in Club Rush at the Coral Tower, $15 each. They loved it. We picked them up at 7pm then headed out to the Arawak Cay. We paid $40 plus tip for a taxi over, the taxi driver took us straight up to some place I think was called the ”Fish Fry” without even asking us if we wanted to look at the other menu's. I felt very uncomfortable being pushed into it and I insisted that we look around before we made a choice. I’m sure he meant well but we wanted to look around. So we did, but the doormen at all of the restaurants were very pushy trying to get us to eat at their restaurants. We ended up eating at the Fisherman's Warf only because we felt like every time we looked at a menu we were being disrupted. Service was VERY slow and the food was average for the most part, probably not the best choice of all of the places. Our bill for 8 was about $200 tip included. We even had cab drivers coming into the restaurant soliciting to drive us home. After the $40 plus tip cab ride home we chalked it up to an experience, not particularly bad, and decided that it would have been better to go over there late afternoon/ early evening when the kids weren't so hungry and tired so we could have made a better choice of where to eat. That Friday we took a Booze Cruise and that was $60 per adult, $30 per kid (free for my 5 year old because we negotiated). They served a BBQ chicken, ribs, rice and peas and corn lunch which was very yummy! You could go snorkeling if you weren’t drinking but the water was rough so we passed. We ended up renting a jet ski and that tipped over… the water was ROUGH. Thank god we had life jackets on! We had our 5 year old with us when we tipped, that freaked me out… but we are all ok. I lost a pair of Gucci sunglasses and my husband lost his $600 prescription glasses and hat. We didn’t lose our baby or any of us… Thank god! The guy who rented us the jet ski was out there to get us in no time to get us out of the water so we got lucky. Looking back it added to the experience. Lol. Back on the boat there was an open bar with DJ. You could purchase beers for $4 each during the last hour and a half of the cruise. It was fun and there was a lower level that we could bring the kids down to once the dance floor got moving in the last hour of the cruise. That night we cooked in the room, left the husbands behind to baby sit this time, and my friend and I went to Carmines. That was delicious but we didn't eat very much. We brought most of it back to the room. We ordered Ragu which was $45 and could easily feed 4. The rest of the bill was a glass of merlot, bottled water, salad and chicken parm. Everything was delicious and the service was great. Total bill was about $160 tip included. Our last night we put the kids into the Atlantic Kids club from 6:30 til 10:30 ($60 per kid) and the adults went out to the Mesa Grill. Very nice but very pricey. I would skip it next time. That was $277 tip included for a bottle of water, a glass of Pinot Grigio, a Kettle One and Tonic, 2 appetizers, a salad and three entrees. That is something I could do in Atlantic City or NYC. Overall this resort is awesome. The kids had a blast and we can’t wait to go back. It’s a bit pricey but if planned right you can save some major bucks. We never waited more than 5 minutes for a shuttle and the drivers were upbeat and lots of fun. We spent our days on the beach, at the slides and pools and on the lazy river. We had no complaints. We brought coolers of beer and plenty of snacks into the parks and they do not mind at all. Even though we ate out most nights we saved a ton of money on drinks, water and lunches by bringing our own. After the first day we only ordered two sandwich combos from the snack bars the entire time which I thought were pretty reasonable at about $8.00 a combo. Sorry to babble but I found it very helpful when I read the longer reviews.

Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
6  Thank BlaizeInNYC
Reviewed 11 August 2009

we stayed here a few years ago - before i used trip advisor. I thought I would add a belated review to say that it was great. Spacious condo, overlooking the harbor. Full kitchen significantly cut down on breakfast, lunch and beverage costs. As awesome as Atlantis is for a family vacation, staying at Harborside allowed a peaceful oasis when needed. I will be back....

• Stayed: February 2006, travelled with family
3  Thank sunandsnowNewYork
Reviewed 11 August 2009

Here is my long review from our trip to Atlantis 7/25 to 8/1. We had a great trip, and would definitely go back, but a couple of things really bothered me so I will give you the rundown and feel free to skip parts you aren’t interested in if you hate lengthy reviews. I tried to label the sections so you can skip to info you want. As a former hotel mystery shopper I tend to be detailed!

Flight:
We took a Friday night red-eye from Long Beach to Ft. Lauderdale and then from Ft. Lauderdale to Nassau so we arrived around 9am Saturday. Flight and crews on JetBlue were great and I would definitely fly them again. Great price and no turboprops/regional jets on the last leg which is the only way for me to go (not a fan of small planes).

Transportation:
We arranged for taxi service ahead of time and Sandra from Fergies Taxis was waiting for us outside baggage claim with a sign, and she was a welcome sight after a long journey. Yes, you can easily get a taxi, but I am a planner and I liked knowing someone was waiting for us with our name on a sign and an agreed upon price. ($45 for 5 without grocery stop-we planned to take the shuttle from Harborside the next day)

Arrival/Unit:
Once we arrived at Harborside we stored our luggage and the bellman put our rolling cooler in the fridge so our food wouldn’t spoil. After a quick check-in the front desk ladies told us to check back at 1pm in case our unit was ready early. We walked to Atlantis and let the kids swim (they changed into their swimsuits in the Harborside lobby bathrooms). We checked on our room at 1pm, 2pm, 3pm and 4pm. Our room still wasn't ready at 5pm (we had a fixed unit we rented from an owner on Red Week for $2,000.00 for the week), at this point they tried to get us to wait till 6pm, but my patience ran out and once I got angry we received a better unit on the fourth floor with a marina/Atlantis view in Building 7. I hate that I had to get mad to get a unit after the 4pm check-in time, but waiting till 5pm was long enough with three tired kids. The unit was beautiful and I thought it was in pretty good shape though it has not been renovated. The unit (a one-bedroom premium with rollaway) had ample space and storage.

Negative Stuff  (Unit and Staff)
Someone had peed on the sofa bed (kids told me it smelled so I took the sheets off and found a massive fresh urine stain and it was obvious on the mattress so I know the housekeeper just put clean sheets over it and ignored it), if I sound accusatory it’s because I made tiny pen marks on all three beds to see if the housekeeper would change the sheets as I was promised on the once a week cleaning day. That day when we came back the pillowcases had been changed, but all three pen marks (and dirty sheets) were still on the bed. When we arrived we found at least ten items missing from the condos inventory sheet and my husband took the list to the front desk and asked them to please replace the items. They never replaced them even though we asked on day 2 (we gave them a written list and insisted on two items because we needed them to cook dinner-mixing bowl and pot holders arrived three hours later). The last night the garbage disposal broke and the sink backed up. They sent someone about an hour and a half after we called. I think my husband and I were in agreement about the staff. They were all polite and told you what you wanted to hear, but did whatever they wanted on their own schedule. I saw at least 5 guests waiting for the sundry shop in the lobby to open )the sign said she would return at 8:30pm) and the employee was laughing and chatting with other staff members in the hallway while the front desk told the people waiting she was busy getting supplies to restock the store. We walked by 15 minutes later at 9pm and she was still chatting. I could give you many more examples. But you get the idea. I never got the sense anyone really wanted to help you, but they were polite to your face.

Timeshare Incentive:
Again, we really had a great time, but when we went to the timeshare meeting I told the salesperson why I wouldn't buy at Harborside and spend that much on maintenance fees with these kinds of issues with the units and staff. The salesperson was very understanding and didn’t pressure us at all. We got our $125 credit which was nice. I took her brownies the next morning and she was very happy 

Detailed Food Info:
We checked two suitcases and took a rolling cooler on board the plane. The rolling cooler (bought from Wal-Mart) had all our frozen items (bacon, ham steaks, turkey burgers, chicken sausages, sliced swiss cheese butter and cream cheese - note-cream cheese did not thaw well so don't bother!) In the two suitcases (about 50lbs each) we took a scrubber sponge, 2 rolls paper towels, ziploc bags (gallon and quart) dish soap, dishwasher soap, laundry soap, softener sheets, 2 jars of peanut butter and 2 jars of jelly, salt and pepper, Mrs, Dash, mustard, spray can of Pam, powdered coffee creamer, sugar, 1 can of ground coffee, coffee filters, powdered lemonade, tea bags, hot cocoa mix, cheezits, instant oatmeal (we ate it every morning as a quick breakfast so we could leave for the pools/beach by 9am) instant mashed potatoes, tuna in the foil pouches, 3 boxes of Ghiradelli dark chocolate brownie mix and 3 disposable foil 9x9 baking pans, individual packages of cookies and some protein bars. I put a box inside one of the suitcases with our frozen bread so it wouldn't get mashed as it thawed (2 loaves of bread, hamburger buns, hot dog buns and bagels)

Once we got to the Bahamas we bought the following at the City Market: milk, orange juice, fruit and veggies for side dishes based on what was on sale or cheap, tomato for burgers, eggs, cooking oil (to make brownies, i'm a chocolate fiend), 2 cases of water and glass cleaner (the units have a glass table and I am a clean freak so I used it for all the cleanup that week-floors, counters ect.). Don't go to the market without a plan or you will buy too much food or be overwhelmed by choices. I saw so many people in the store from the Harborside shuttle buying so much stuff and panicking over fitting it on the shuttle!

We spent about $110.00 at the City Market and ate one meal out at Mosaic which was about $240.00 for 3 adults and 2 kids. The meal at Mosaic was outstanding and so was the service. I did buy the occasional latte at Starbucks, and several drinks at the pools, but didn't care because I saved so much on meals. Drinks were strong and really good throughout the resort. The rest of the meals we ate in and took lunch to the pool each day in our rolling cooler (frozen pb & j's, cheeze-its, cookies and frozen bottled water) Everything thawed by lunch and was cool and refreshing on the hot days :) I baked brownies three of the nights and found the convection oven worked well.

Pools/Beach/Slide
We went to the same pool everyday of our trip and used it as a “home base”. We took the shuttle to The Cove and walked through the Cove lobby to get to the Baths Pool. We set up in the back row near the bathrooms, beach, snack bar and lazy river conveyer entrance (this was the conveyer that took you up to the fork between the rapids and the second conveyer to the slides). We sampled all the slides and my 10 year old even did the Leap of Faith. I did the Abyss once but that was enough for me  the other tube slides were all great and the water was warm. Reapply sunscreen after a couple times around the current or you will get burnt when the sunscreen washes off. Found this out the hard way after getting the first sunburn I have had in 20 years! Beach was never crowded, but we went first thing in morning between 9 and 10 before getting in the current to do the slides. One morning we spoke to a staff employee who told us the best place to go to get great pics while he fed the manta rays with the 12 foot wing spans! Aquariums are free and the tour with info is informative and not boring at all.

Shuttles and other info:
Get the list of free movies and activities from the concierge at Harborside each day (it’s on the counter so you can take a copy) and you can enjoy lots of stuff. I took several lists with me and I can scan them if anyone wants a sample of the available activities. I also a list of the channels available on the Harborside tv in case anyone needs that. The shuttles are plentiful and we never waited more than a few minutes to catch one.

Something my kids will never forget LOL:
One day while DH and I were lounging at the pool I noticed a teenager laying on the lounger in front of us and his brother and girlfriend (found out that’s who they were later) were throwing wet towels on him and trying to get him to drink water. I noticed he was drooling and his hands were curled up. I told my DH I was worried he was having a seizure and asked if we should help them. My DH went over when his brother left and his girlfriend seemed agitated. Apparently he was only 16 and his brother had gotten him drunk on vodka and he couldn’t stand up and his brother left him with his girlfriend and took off. About this time my kids come running up to me yelling “someone threw up in the current and we were almost to the conveyer and they made us get out because the barf was going up the conveyer” I quieted them and asked if the boy my husband was helping stand up was the one who barfed in the water. They confirmed it was and we had a great talk about the perils of excessive alcohol consumption. Turns out this 16 year old had sun poisoning and alcohol poisoning and my DH carried him to the Cove tower so they could get a wheelchair for him. I am afraid to think what might have happened if my DH hadn’t intervened because this kid looked like he was having seizures and he only attempted to stand and go with my DH because he told him he could die if he didn’t get help. Not impressed that an Atlantis staff member never noticed or reported him even after he threw up in the water and couldn’t walk on his own. This whole thing took at least an hour and no one even offered help. Scary!

Okay, I have probably wrote too much, but I know that I found other detailed reviews helped me to plan my trip and I am very grateful to everyone who shared their food lists and info to help me save money. Any questions, please feel free to ask so I can return the favor! I would definately go back again for the right price.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family