“Wonderful again and again...”

Atlantis, Royal Towers, Autograph Collection
Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
Walnut Creek, California
“Wonderful again and again...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2014

My family and I ( mom , dad, wife, two kids 6 yrs old and 10 yrs old) visited Atlantis for Christmas 2013 and New Years. Again Atlantis did not disappoint. We stayed from Dec 23 thru Jan 3. We have been coming here every year for around 14 years and every time is great. The resort is a little pricey but it is worth it. The rooms were clean and well maintained and the staff was friendly. The location of the resort is great with several beaches and a lot of day and night activities for kids and adults. The kids especially love the Lazy River Ride, which we spent a good 2-3 hours a day at, super fun for adults too. We stayed in the Royal Towers (East). The Royal towers are closer to the beach and main parts of the hotel and water activities( pools, bars, etc...). Make reservations to restaurants before you leave as space is filled quickly. No complaints for this trip, quiet neighbors, friendly staff, clean rooms and good service. The Casino is great, I came home with what I left with. We will be coming back again and again.

Room Tip: We stay in the Royal Towers, which is close to pools, beach and main attractions in the hotel. I alw...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,465)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Miami, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2014

I have visited Atlantis several times over the years mostly on day excursions and recently stayed for business. It was beautiful and in perfect condition when it first opened but it is not being maintained properly and when you stay here it really shows.

Many of the slides have spray paint on the floors instead of proper painted markers showing where guests need to stand in line, bricks missing, paint chipping and tiles missing throughout the property. The original lobby area and towers are depressingly outdated with hideous carpets and old furnishings. Same applies to the room decor and furnishings in the cheaper towers. All of these things could be overlooked if the hotel was reasonably priced but at $250 a night I expect a well maintained relatively modern type of decor.

Everything at the hotel related to food is overpriced and mediocre at best. We tried the BBQ place on property and the food was terrible and service was bad. A burger and soft drink at the pool runs you about $20. Try to eat outside of the hotel as much as possible. There is a dunkin donuts about a 5 minutes walk from the hotel.

The aquariums are nice and the slides and pools are nice to experience at least once but not worth staying at the hotel for. I would recommend staying at a neighbor hotel like comfort suites to get the free pass to Atlantis or going on a cruise and buying a day pass excursion to experience the best of what Atlantis has to offer without making such a big dent on your wallet. It certainly is not worth what they are charging per night to stay here!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Loves2travel726
Hopkinsville, Kentucky
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2014

I visited the Atlantis to experience what it is like to be at the Atlantis that everyone is talking about. I read the reviews beforehand, and already knew it was expensive. I thought it was worth it if I am going to have a good time.

With that mindset, I jumped in. And why not, lets go for the 'Royal Towers' the one with a bridge and all. The one that is their flagship tower. The one that shows up in their marketing photos.

First, the good...It is huge. With a map, its easy to navigate its immense choices of pools, places to eat, places to hang out, watch people, or just walk. Weather was great in December, no rain, and stayed between 70-80. Perfect.

The bad...It was crowded. They allow anyone and everyone in. Visitor passes, cruise guests, and actual hotel guests. They even allow nearby Comfort Inn guests. And why not? Everyone that is in will spend.

The ugly...Poor service. They try, but they simply cannot handle the load. So, yes, people are OK with spending, but then should expect good returns. And I am not expecting 'Royal' treatment, but just common courtesy. I can cite many examples, but the most frustrating was that the towel station that was close to our pool ran out towels. Thats fine, busy place, we ran out. Now what? When asked, 'where can I get towels?' "Oh, you will have to get it from somewhere else" From where? "Oh, ask that guy" Really. Another incident - I stood in line for a long time to see 'Guest Services' person because the boarding pass kiosk ran out of ink. He gladly printed the passes. While I was there, I asked him if can print off a page for my airport parking. 'Oh no...you will have to go to the Library' which is located in a different building. I dont mind the walk and all, but there is no 'over and above' here. Everyone is busy. Super busy. Finally, the food...lots of choices. And its not cheap. I already knew that. But there is mandatory gratuity of 15%. REGARDLESS of service. Should I repeat 'regardless'? On a busy evening where there are huge lines at the pizza place, forget service, or even getting your order right. But must pay 15%.

Overall, the experience of being away, on an Island with multiple pools, no cell phone calls, and just relaxing - i.e. if you are able to ignore the bad and ugly and focus on the good. If nothing, visit the Atlantis exhibit, which in itself is so much relaxing. My trip was worth the hassle as I had a great time. Purpose of my review is to reinforce what others have written from my point of view, and make and educated decision.

Room Tip: Consider East Tower. Consider pool and ocean view. Its gorgeous. Do not take very high floor as pool...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank D P
Fort Lee, NJ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2014

FYI, there is no cellular service on the Island (our phones all read NO Service). This would have been good to know before we went there. NO free Wifi either, not even in Starbucks. They say there is a Library where you get 15 min a day free, but we never got there. $20 a day for hotel Wifi.

Room had a lot of maintenance issues, mine and everyone else in our group. None of our rooms had no issues. We had broken AC, backed up sinks, broken phones, but, we didnt spend much time in the room so I didnt care.

There is a single cup coffee maker in the room with complimentary starbucks coffee pods, its beyond terrible. There is also a mini fridge in the room- not for YOUR convenience, rather for THEIRS. Stocked with beverages, if you remove one to look, it automatically charges your room. Dont bother bringing your left-overs back to your room.

Hotel lobby has a buffet (eh, it is just ok), and the bar converts to a Starbucks for breakfast which was actually great. Healthy/non hearty options, and an organized staff that gets you on your way quickly.

No water fountains anywhere. $4 a bottle if you want water, and you do.

You would think they would have some really great fruit on the island, Maybe some papaya, mango? Nope. The cut up fruits were the usual melons, grapes, pineapple.

Casino is small and unimpressive...

Sadly, there is no night swimming, or night time jacuzzi...what a waste. It would be so nice.

There are people on the beach who seriously harrass you. They are very aggressive and shout at ou as you try to walk by. Sadly, It made me avoid the beach.

One last note, everything is expensive on the Island, there is no way around it. No drug store, or Quick-Mart type thing for a bottle of water, chips or cereal.A medium size bag of Lays is 7.99 in the hotel lobby. lol.

It is a 30 minute ride to the airport. You need to get to the airport 3 hours prior to your flight- Dont listen to the hotel if they tell you other wise. They nearly made us miss our flight. Hope this info helps.

5 Thank Mia C
Charlotte
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2014

My daughter and I took a 5 day trip to Atlantis and were overwhelmed (good and bad). The resort itself was absolutely stunning and amazing. We absolutely LOVED the resort, the waterpark, our overall stay, and the additional excursions we added in (snorkeling, shopping). However, the extra costs during our stay were downright ridiculous and forced extortion. I paid a LOT for the package (airfare/transfers/resort), as I did not skimp on anything going in. And I am confident what I paid up front was more than enough for the resort to provide such plush and exquisite accommodations. Thus, no need for the resort to gouge customers for additional profit with all the extras. My biggest complaint was the automatic 15-20% tip added to anything we bought, purchased, ate. I have always been a generous tipper, but tipping should be at MY discretion and MY decision based on the service I receive. One can only guess what level of service we received on most occasions - average to poor since the servers got their tip no matter what. Cost to eat was shocking! Breakfast - Banana, muffin, water, milk, cereal - $30. Lunch - 2 pieces of pizza, powerade, water - $35. Johnny Rocket's dinner of 2 burgers, cokes, french fries, and 1 milk shake - $60. Sandwich shop downstairs had great portion sizes, but cost still over $30. Sushi dinner? $200. Resort, room, water park, aquarium, etc were amazing. Just be prepared to spend almost as much on food as you do for the actual resort stay/price.....

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank travel99charlotte
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2014

Great ocean front view. Wonderful resort - worth the price. My husband and I enjoyed ourselves immensely. Would definitely stay at the Paradise Island Resort Again. The pools, beaches are great. We didn't spend much time in the casino. Once you have been to Las Vegas, not much else can impress you.

Room Tip: Spend the extra money on a room with a view. The trip was splendid. All the rooms are great but if...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KariK214
Rochester, New Hampshire, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2014

Atlantis is the Walmart of resorts. There are price points for every bank account and this brings out all kinds of people; some wonderful: some less so. We stayed for 8 days over the Christmas holiday. We stayed in the Royal Towers which is the medium range hotel. The Coral and Beach towers are more economical; the Cove and Reef towers are more luxury. No meals are included in this trip. The average breakfast is $26 per person + 15% automatic gratuity. A juice is $6+.
The resort has 6 or 7 gourmet restaurant that require reservations and 3 buffets that every one can get into without reservations. I started trying in OCTOBER to get a reservation for dinner in ANY of the restaurants during our stay. They were completely booked. I was able to get dinner on our last night there by calling and begging with the reservation line lady who was able to find a cancellation spot which I jumped at.

Meals at the buffets are very good however and you will not go hungry by any means. But beware: dinner starts at $49 per person + 15% gratuity.

The core activity on the resort is the 141 acre water park. This park is open to the public and flooded with cruise-going passengers every day. It takes the population from about 4500 to 9000 everyday. There isn’t a spare beach chair or a line for a drink shorter than 10 people anywhere. Trying to find a spot at one of the many pools is impossible at 2pm. So we tried the beach! Only to walk all the way down there and find a small red flag keeping us from the water. There was no mention along the 10minutes walk anywhere what the beach status was. Seems rather short of thought.

The whole place is rather well-loved. Everything needs a coat of paint, the toilet in our room needs a new seal and leaked sporadically, and several ceiling tiles need to be replaced. Here were broken chairs at the beach and leaks in the aquarium. All kinds of run-down items.

I was blown away by how kind the staff at the resort was. We were resoundingly well taken care of. We did have a few waiters who were less than enthusiastic but that’s just real life. They do live on your tips however and I was painfully aware of the ‘lost puppy’ stare I received from many of them when it came time for tips.

I was sorely depressed however at my fellow guests. It is very true; money does not buy class. Guests were rude, pushy, short tempered and show disgusting behavior towards myself and towards the staff. The vacation would have been perfect without all these people.

I enjoyed my time at Atlantis; I would not however recommend staying longer than 5-6 days.

Room Tip: Find a nice room in your price range. You wont be in it much and all activities are paid add-ons any...
1 Thank Mary G
Also consider these accommodations in or near Paradise Island
The Reef Atlantis, Autograph Collection
Comfort Suites Paradise Island
Comfort Suites Paradise Island
#5 of 14 in Paradise Island
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,515 reviews
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph...
#11 of 14 in Paradise Island
3.5 of 5 bubbles 3,702 reviews
The Cove Atlantis, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Coral Towers, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Coral Towers, Autograp...
#10 of 14 in Paradise Island
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,538 reviews
Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive

Been to Atlantis, Royal Towers, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!