“Disney in the Bahamas”

Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
Hopkins, Minnesota
“Disney in the Bahamas”
Reviewed 29 January 2014

This property is super clean and has a lot of activities. Bring tall stacks of cash! The pools, beaches, water features are free but other activities are really expensive. Our room was very nice. It was a large room with a palm tree and garden view and was very clean. There are a lot of dining options here. I would say there are four tiers of pricing. I did not dine at any of the resort restaurants. I was here with a large corporate group and had convention style breakfast, lunch and banquet dining provided as part of my company's event. Many of my peers dined at the celebrity chef restaurants (Olives & Nobu) and said the experience was average. Looking at menus, a 2nd tier restaurant will set you back over $50 for an entree. One of my peers said the Quiznos located by the marina was about three times more expensive than a typical Quiznos. I tried to add some rooms over the weekend prior to my meetings and was shocked by the price I was quoted. I'm totally confused because the patrons at the resort we not wealthy by any standard and this place needs to sell a lot of rooms 365 days a year. The aquariums were great, my wife loved the pools. Kids would go crazy here. I would summarize this resort as a land locked cruise ship. It is anything but intimate.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Cervelodude

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,509)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Fort lauderdale
Reviewed 27 January 2014

The Royal Towers were awesome; The room is spectacular, Bathroom is always a must for me and it exceeded my expectatons; Decor is fine and classy; Clean grounds; So much too do. Waterpark is so fun. Plus, the beach is two steps away. Only advise is to cross the ferry for food because its so much cheaper than resturants on the property; In additon to the included gratitude everywhere. And the people/staff are so polite and courteous ; You won't be dissappointed :) Oh it was actually 2010 I traveled here in March; It was a bit too cool for the water; But the skies were clear.

Room Tip: Royal Towers and Cove is the best ; yet most expensive; Beach and Coral Towers are ecomnomical but y...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Shawntavia M
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 27 January 2014

Me and my wife was at this Hotel from 1-17 to 1-21 for our honeymoon.
We had a great time staying there and all the staff was helpful and friendly, hotel is in great shape except the first night we had some plumbing issues and took them twice to fixed it and the first time took more than an hour for someone to arrived. but the second day they gave us a rum cake on the house which is nice.
The beautiful view with all the amenities are all great. However when we check out, the front desk agent name: "Dicrius" has some serious attitude issue. When we checked in, the front desk agent gave us a "coupon card" for different restaurants through out the hotel with complimentary drinks or appetizers, when we check out there was a charge that should be waived because of the coupon but instead the hotel charged us, so we ask Dicrius why, but instead of explain to us why, he just told us we don't have this promotion at all, we are ot suppose to have it and "interrogated" us couple times how did we get it? He sounds like we stole this from some where and we don't really appreciate this.
I worked at the hotel myself for five years and I understand sometimes there is issues with billing, but no matter what the problem is, you need to explain to the customer whats going on instead of telling them they don't have it or they are not supposed to have it etc.If you can't address the problem then you will need to ask your manager. The last thing you want to do is say offensive things to people.
I think we know what the issue was is afterwards is because we had two separate reservations, first two nights from united.com and second two nights we booked through hotel.com so that's why the first two nights we had the promotion coupon but not the second two nights. All the agent need to do is to explain this to us and we will have no problem but instead he just have this terrible attitude and he even said maybe the front desk agent wants to make friend with us when we check in.. that's an insult for both the hotel staff and us. Not to mention he threw back my ID to me and didn't say goodbye or thank you etc. We feel very upset when we leave to cove that day.
We had much better experiene at Cove for the last two nights of our stay by the way.
We had a great time staying at the resort overall but just this check out experience with this agent left a bad taste in our mouth.

One more thing is this entire resort will charge you for WIFI which is $22.95 a night. or you can go down to the library and they will give you 20 mins a day for free which is a big hassle. Consider we paid $300 a night at the royal tower and $500 a night at Cove free wifi will be a big plus.

Room Tip: Corner room will have views from both side at paradise island and downtown. They have free movies e...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Benny C
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 26 January 2014

Went to the Bahamas to celebrate mom's 75th birthday with my three sisters. The staff of the Atlantis made our stay a fantastic experience - Annamae, Aldo, Julia, and Marcel at the Marketplace; Jeremy, our concierge, Antonio, James, Aldo, Vaughn, Ricky' and Aaron - bellmen, doorman. You treated us like royalty. Stayed in the Grand Suite, what a view from the tenth floor. This is where we'll stay when we return. The weather was purrrfect!

Room Tip: Definitely get a room with a view of the entire resort with a balcony, love sunrises and sunsets.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Miramar Beach, Florida
Reviewed 26 January 2014 via mobile

Very disappointing. This is like staying at a 1970s Days Inn. The decor is VERY dated...the lamps are dusty and look like they came from a yard sale. Bathroom just adequate, the faucet scratched and old. There was hair on the bathroom floor that wasn't ours. Bed was ok, but my cat gets to sleep with better pillows. The a/c would not go below 68, and it was warm at night; once you open the doors for air, the a/c shuts off. No balcony anyway.

The first night of three, we turned on the button for turndown service, which never came. The third day, we were out if the room from 10-4 and came home to the same, uncleaned room. I had to call to get fresh towels.

The room service was on time, coffee good, breakfast food fair. The servers themselves always had a smile. It didn't make up for the rest, I will not be back.

Stayed January 2014
7 Thank BlueEyedGirl
Blairstown, New Jersey
Reviewed 25 January 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at the Atlantis for our 10th anniversary and just got back. I'm going to break down our stay and opinion of the place, good and bad. First of all, the location and the resort property is absolutely beautiful. You have access to 2 beaches, atlantic and cove beach. Anywhere you go on the resort, you can get beach towels which is nice, you don't have to pack or carry one with you and beach chairs. You have lots of different pools to pick from and not to mention lots of attractions like Aquaventure, which is included to guests that stay at resort and Dolphin Cay (separate fee) which you can interact and/or swim with dolphins and/or sea lions. There's also the sting ray experience and kayaks, paddle boats etc which we didn't get to. We also did not try the spa or gym (extra fees to get in to use facilities). The resort has beautiful gardens to walk or run/jog through. The resort is very safe, has staff everywhere to confirm you're a guest and not intruder. The staff was super friendly and very helpful.
This resort is definitely kid friendly, has tons of activities, pools, slides etc. at most of the pools, you have DJs which are lots of fun and everywhere you go on the outdoor part of resort, there are lots of fast food places which sell burgers, fries, nachos, hot dogs etc. these places are not expensive at all.
Our room was nice, comfy and big. Had a king size bed, room was huge, nice view if marina, big bathroom and big walk in closet. The resort itself is beautiful. The lobby, high end shops and casino are beautiful as well. There are a lot of attractions inside the resort like marine habitat viewings almost everywhere (these are included for guests), restaurants, nightclubs and comedy club. The marina village shops is a really cute place to visit, shops and restaurants as well as looking at the huge yachts.
Whatever you do inside the resort as well as the separate activities that have separate fee are very expensive. Most of the place is cashless which means you charge everything to your room key. Internet is $21.95 for 24 hours, which is ridiculous. Buy a global sim card at thr airport if your phone is unlocked so you can use phone and data. If not, you'll pay a fortune since you're roaming. To rent in room movies, $15.99. Again any extras are really expensive.
The dolphin cay was pricey but worth it. We did the shallow interaction ( $135 per person for about 1.5 hours) and since cameras are not allowed, you have to buy photos separately (about $70 for 5 photos).
As far as food, we usually did a breakfast buffet (about $25 - $28 per person) at the marketplace and seagrapes and then we just did dinner at a restaurant, like carmines and virgils bbq to try to save a bit. In between if we got hungry just got something poolside.
You can also catch a taxi at any time in front of resort to go downtown, not expensive. The downtown area was safe to walk around. Eat at a local place! Buy your souvenirs there. Again, the resort was beautiful, little pricey but we think it was worth the experience.
Would we stay there again? We'd probably try somewhere else now. It was a nice 1 time experience. Hope this helps!

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
17 Thank araquelffl
Sherwood Park, Canada
Reviewed 23 January 2014

I was very nervous about going here because I read a lot of reviews on Tripadvisor wherein guests were not happy. Therefore, I went there with low expectations... and so I actually had a great trip, because things were better than I thought they would be!
Yes, this place is very expensive. So you have to go knowing that, and then you won't be surprised and you won't have sticker shock when the bill comes. One TripAdvisor user said "go with barrels of money and you will have fun" so I kept that attitude in mind! One suggestion is to check your bill daily on your TV set as it accumulates to ensure there are no mistakes, and to catch any in time. We had no mistakes on our bill.
Because we heard about how expensive things are, and we were staying for one week+, when we left the airport we asked our taxi driver to stop at the Super Value (I think that was what it was called) grocery store on the way to the hotel. We got a few cases of bottled water and some fresh fruit. So we saved maybe $20?! lol. We heard water was $8 a bottle and we drink lots of water so that's why we did that.
We had a very large suite in the corner of the Royal Towers hotel with a fabulous view. I loved the way our room was decorated, it was very special. Nice beach-themed décor with paintings and art and sculptures that looked higher-end and unique. Our beds were ultra-comfortable.
Our maid service every day was very friendly and all staff we encountered was very friendly.
We had buffet breakfast every day in the Marketplace and the buffet was pretty good. Several omelet stations, with very good omelets done by competent and friendly staff.
The waterpark and lagoons and all the aquariums were great. Note that the lazy river is anything but! We called it the Crazy river! Some of the rides seem to lean toward the dangerous side so I would recommend personally trying a ride before sending your kids on any. We took our toddler to the toddler's lazy river and he loved it so much, that he did not want to leave!! We bought him a special inflatable yellow raft just for him for the lazy river while we were there, I think it was $9?! great price!
The lunchtime fare at the quick-eat places by the pools were not great, but we managed to find a turkey burger that our son really liked, and I think probably one of the healthiest options there. Don't be afraid to ask to customize your food, they will do that for you, like adding cheese and mushrooms, etc. - which is not explicitly stated on the menu.
We had a fantastic supper at Nobu - super yummy - and in fact I think it may have been one of the highlights of my trip!
We had some drinks every night at the lounge in the royal tower, that was nice but quite expensive, I think $20 a cocktail.
Don't forget that whatever you buy is put on your room card.... and you pay a mandatory 15% gratuity on everything, no matter what. We did not really like that of course. In fact, we tipped our bellman $20 and then found out we got charged like $6 or something for that anyways on our bill! So be careful of those extra costs. I think you always have to assume you will be charged for things, so no need for extra tips. Its usually already added in, or they charge you anyways!
BIG QUESTION: Do I think this place was worth the cost?? I guess it depends. We paid a lot of money for our suite, maybe $13k or so... and were a bit disappointed that, even though we paid a high-price for our suite, we had to pay EXTRA for anything else - like going to the gym, or getting internet access, or getting a small fridge in the room! You would think that would be included. But we had a great time there, we really enjoyed the waterpark.
ANSWER: we would go back again. IF you are on a budget though, I think you might get stressed with prices of things.
We also hired a taxi to take us to the Pirate Museum and the Ardastra Zoo nearby. Our toddler really enjoyed this outing, I would recommend this trip if you have young children. Actually, the pirate museum is interesting for adults even if you have no children with you, and the same can be said for the zoo!
We also went to a big fish market which was on the way to/from atlantis, just outside of paradise island. They have about 20 different fresh fish restaurants. The owners try to entice you into their own restaurant. We also found that various taxis we took were "affiliated" with a certain restaurant and would tell you to go there. It was a bit aggressive marketing actually. We had a nice lunch there though.
We were not on the meal plan, we ate where and when we felt like it. I heard from people that the meal plan was not worth it. We ate a lot at our buffet breakfasts, and then had lunch and snacks by the pool. For dinner, because our son eats early, we walked over to the Marina and got some food that we took back to the room to eat every night. I brought along some protein bars that I had for lunch as well.
Our toddler liked the cinema there, it was free. They showed kids movies. We did the "build-a-bear" there which I think was US$50 for a frog! But he liked it. He liked watching the turtles in the pond outside our tower whenever we passed. He liked building sandcastles by the lagoon which had some shade, unlike the beach by the ocean. There were two toddler pools right outside our hotel as well. We had to walk over to the Beach Tower area for the toddler lazy river which he loved.

Room Tip: Royal Towers is close to two toddler pools and seemed like a good location to us.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
10 Thank WellWellTravelled
Also consider these accommodations in or near Paradise Island
The Reef Atlantis, Autograph Collection
Comfort Suites Paradise Island
Comfort Suites Paradise Island
#6 of 14 in Paradise Island
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph...
#11 of 14 in Paradise Island
The Cove Atlantis, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Coral Towers, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Coral Towers, Autograp...
#10 of 14 in Paradise Island
Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive

Been to Atlantis, Royal Towers, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!