“Make Atlantis Affordable”

Atlantis, Royal Towers, Autograph Collection
Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
Reviewed 22 May 2014

So, We went to this resort at a "bucket list" type deal. I've always wanted to go, and when the opportunity came around, we signed up. But, this is NOT an all inclusive resort. The food is super expensive. The things to do are also very pricey. But is it worth it? YES!! Here are some tips to help you save money.
First - do your research!!!!
The resort offers transportation to and from the airport. Line it up!! It was $52 round trip for my husband and I. I hear cab rides were twice that. It was way easy to prebook, just call the resort number on the website.
MOST Importantly: bring a suitcase full of snacks. The cheapest meal plan the resort offered was $89 per person per day, and that was JUST for breakfast and dinner, no lunch, and no drinks, and only at certain restaurants. We spent about $80 and brought pop tarts, granola bars for breakfast, nuts and jerky for snacks, and peanut butter and honey, as well as some canned chicken and tuna and a few boxes of crackers for sandwiches. The rooms have fridges, but they are FULL, and if you remove some of the items, it will automatically go on your bill. We also brought some mini packets of mayo and relish for the tuna and chicken. So, we ate breakfast and lunch in our rooms every day. We also ordered from foodstore2go.com which is a grocery store that delivers RIGHT TO YOUR HOTEL ROOM. The prices are standard Bohemian prices, but it was more convenient for us to order a case of water and a loaf of bread from them than to either pack it or waste our time and to go to the grocery store once we got there. They also offer hotel deals with like a bag of apples, some chips and salsa, and a few other things. That was very easy, and we probably spent another $70 with them. But the breakfast place downstairs was about $80 for the two of us, so I dont feel bad that we had a few apples and chips left over. :)
We ate out for dinner every night, and since a lot of the casual places in the resort closed down at 5 or 6, we just went into town. (Taxis run about $11 out, and $12-16 to get back in) Lucianos and Greycliff are formal dining. We went to Lucianos and it was VERY good. The Poop Deck was good sea food, and a nice harbor view, about $90. Twin Brothers (at the Fish Fry) was very good, and everyone in town recommended it. About $80 there for us. Our favorite was Sharkies (downtown) we went there twice and it seemed to be cheaper than other places, about $60 to $70. And if you just NEED an all american breakfast, there is a place called Anthonys that has ACTUAL REGULAR PRICING. We ran out of pop tarts our last two days and went there, (Walk all the way through the Marina Village, cross the street and turn left) I got two pancakes, two pieces of Ham, two sausage, two bacon, toast, two eggs, and a big serving of potatoes for $15. Way Cheap! Oh, and MOST of the time (all the time for us) the tips were already added to our checks. So watch for that.
Also, on your first night out for dinner in town, stop and buy some beer. One beer at the resort is about $9. A mixed drink is about $13. We treated ourselves to one drink a day, but we bought beer in town and stored it in a cooler in our room. There are plenty of ice machines.
We did stay at the Royal Towers, because our groups was staying there. It was very nice and convenient, but I was told the rate we got was very good, so make sure you look into all the details like the $4 per day maid gratuity, and all the other fees they tack on.
Internet is $19 per day if you pre-pay, $22 per day once you are already on site. We just went without. But rumor has it that there is a library where each guest gets 15 minutes of computer use per day. We never went there. We were too busy having fun. Seriously, Why do you need internet? you are on VACATION!!
The water park is a total blast! There are two rivers, a true Lazy river, then there is a Rapids River. The Rapids River was very splashy and fun, and it took about 20 minutes to get around the whole thing. But you could also detour and take a turn in one spot to ride the conveyor belt up to the Power Tower to ride the Water Slides.
If you are into snorkeling, you can snorkel in the sheltered beach area for free if you have your own gear (resort guests can check out a life vest for free) or you can rent everything. There are lots of pretty fish, some conch, Stingray and even huge lobsters in the rocks on the far side. They sell fish food for $6 for two bags, worth it but WATCH YOUR FINGERS :) and read the directions. I didnt know the bag was biodegradable and I swam around with it for 20 minutes...
IF YOU DO THE DOLPHIN CAY - This is going to sound like the opposite of "saving money" but I've heard from a lot of people that most of dolphin experiences are more like "Dolphin Photo-op" , they rush you in, then rush you out. Then you have to go BUY the picture. So....My word of advice is do the Ultimate Trainer for a Day. Yes, it is super expensive. But we did EVERYTHING. We got to tour the Animal hospital, the vet lab, we chopped up squid and shrimp to feed animals, we fed sharks, we played with sea stars, urchins, sea cucumbers, conch, horseshoe crab, we saw Jellyfish, all this behind the scenes, then we went out and fed and played with sting rays, we snorkeled with them in shallow and deep water (some were HUGE!!) We got to go to the dolphins and do Shallow water interaction, kiss and hug a dolphin, deep water interaction with a water scooter and snorkels, then a double dorsal tow and a foot push from the dolphins. We got to see baby dolphins and watch how the observers take notes on them, and then we did some sea lion training where we got kissed and hugged by a sea lion, got to pet her and do some training with her. And a photographer followed us around all day and took our photos, at the end we got a 1 GB flash drive with all our photos. Plus, Lunch was included, so theres $80 right there ;) It took all day, 10:00 to 4:30. It was amazing. And you get a T shirt and Snorkel gear to keep. Very awesome trainers Nadia and Jessica, and our great photographer Trevor made us very happy.:)
Finally, we did a LOT of walking during our stay. So be prepared for that, the resort is HUGE. You can rent lockers near the pools, but we just never went down there with valuables... Towels are easy to get. you just walk up to staff at a towel hut and ask for them, they dont track them or anything. We went barefoot a lot of the time just so we could jump in the water and not have to worry about leaving anything unattended.
Cruise ships - man we saw 5-6 come in every day!! the lines for the slides get long when the cruise ships come in. But it wasnt too bad for us (May 2014.)
Overall, I would guess $100 to $120 per night for dinner. If you pack food, then you toss any extra (if you have any) and tada! Room for souvenirs!
I hope this helps anyone who is planning a trip. Just save up your money and plan on spending a lot!! Bite the bullet, otherwise you will not enjoy your trip. If you dont enjoy it, what is the point in going?

34  Thank JKH2003
Write a ReviewReviews (6,494)

Reviewed 20 May 2014

We stayed at The Royal Towers in May 2014 with our three boys ages 15,13 and 12 for a trip through my husbands work. The boys loved the water slides and pools and the grounds were well kept. That's about all I can say that's positive about our stay. For what you pay (which is outrageous) you don't get much. Rooms were very average and more importantly, dirty. There was so much dust on the lamps in each room I could've written my name in it. I found a pill on the floor from a previous guest when we first got there. Gross. Paying for wifi was extemely expensive and so limited and slow it was hardly worth it. This was the first vacation I can say I didn't feel like we indulged food or drink wise because it was too expensive. They boast that they have so many restaurant choices but half of them are closed each night. Our first dinner consisted of 2 kids hamburgers, one kids chicken fingers, a salad and a tuna melt. NO alcohol =$129. We resorted to splitting something or just getting a salad for the rest of our stay. I don't mind paying good money for good food but $130 for $30 worth of fast food is hard to take. The one drink I bought pool side was $20. Criminal. They know you are stuck there and they gouge you for it. The resort isn't very accessible, flights (from CT anyway) were extremely expensive and inconvenient, of course everyone needs passports, and once we arrived we waited in line for an hour and 15 minutes in cutoms. Then a half hour $50 cab ride to the resort. Even with one room paid for our stay was extremely expensive, I would not go back, even through another business trip, because you still end up spending a fortune and there are so many better, easier places for families to go. With the new resort going up by the end of this year, close to the airport and brand new, Atlantis better step up their game.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
13  Thank Suzanne W
Reviewed 20 May 2014 via mobile

I loved staying at the royal towers. I've usually always stayed at the coral towers, but the royal tower is by far better. First of all, the walking to the casino is so much easier, specially if it's rainy or windy out. It's si nice just to get off the elevator and the breakfast is right there conveniently located. The suite we had was on the 9th floor with beautiful ocean views and it had 1.5 bathrooms. The master bathroom was beautiful and the bathtub even had a little TV! I just love the royal tower for its convenience and beautiful views!

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank paula p
Reviewed 19 May 2014

I spent the last few months reading the feedback from travelers. I got to say I experienced more positive experiences than negative. yes... the Atlantis is in need of repair but workers are constantly making a difference. I never tipped anyone any extra than the bill when it showed the 15%. Never had any issues. Here are a few things I would do.

1. Take a taxi from the airport. Much cheaper and quicker.
2.Stop at the liquor store on the right before paradise island. The cab driver will charge you no more than 10.00. A case of water 1.5 L is $15.00 and will last the entire week. Refill your small bottles.
3. Purchase a bottle of liquor.
4. Upon checking in ask for an upgrade, if not ask for a room with a balcony.
5. Have the made give you extra coffee and another ice pitcher. The coffee in the room is Starbucks. Bring your own traveling coffee container from home.
6. The Starbucks inside the hotel will give you Starbucks coffee refills for cheap.
7. The internet is expensive. You can get 20 minutes at the library for free. This opens up at 9AM.
8. Bring your snorkel gear. The cover beach is the best and there is hardly anyone in the water during the week.
9. For lunch and dinner try shark bites on the resort. The salads are good for 2.

I brought an entire luggage bag of food which I checked on the plan. I ate on the resort for lunch and dinner is a cab ride downtown. Try Poop Deck, Luciano's, Fish Fry (several good restaurants, Twin Brothers). The restaurants at the resort are expensive. the only one I ate at was Chopsticks. Good food but the bill for 2 was $130.00. Overall I experienced what I read and will definitely visit again.

Room Tip: Any room above floor 8 is good. Ask for an upgrade upon check-in. If your good to the bell hop you m...
8  Thank Patti S
Reviewed 19 May 2014

I gave Royal Towers in Atlantis a 3 star rating (instead of a one) because I recognize that part of what I didn't like was simply that it was a big resort. This was the first time my husband and I stayed at a large scale resort and realized immediately that it is truly not a reflection of who we are and what we like on a vacation.

Pro's:

1. We found that many of the people who worked there were very nice and kind if you take a little bit of time to stop and say hello and ask them their name. Bertha, a waitress at Sharkbites, was so kind and she went out of her way to make us comfortable and find us things we were looking for. Darius was a grounds keeper who was clipping bushes and he showed my husband how to do it properly and took a little time to ask us about ourselves. There are other examples of this that I could give and none of it would have happened if we simply just walked by them and ignored them. It made our time at Atlantis more pleasurable.

2. Beautiful beaches. I did notice that there was a little bit of debris on the beach (I almost stepped on a small piece of broken glass) but for the most part it was clean and the water was beautiful and fun to play/swim in.

3. Service is very quick. We had a problem with opening our safe and within 10 mins (maybe less) someone was at our room getting it taken care of. For such a large resort I was surprised at the quick responses.

4. The rapids at the water park was a lot of fun for my husband and I to go on. I unfortunately get sick going down the water slides (I did try the Challenge and it was fast and fun but I got sick) so I wasn't able to participate on these but they are a great thing to have on sight.

5. The Aquarium. We enjoyed walking through the aquarium and enjoying the sea life without having to leave the hotel. Seeing the other sea creatures in different areas we walked through was fun as well, turtles, sharks, saw fish, you name it.

Con's:

1. You pay for everything and nothing is cheap. Internet was around $120 for the week and at times it was soooooo slow and not even worth trying to stay on line. They have a beautiful and large workout facility that cost $15 a day per person. Back home our local gym is only $10 a day per person. We were there with a conference so many of the other daily per person charges were included in our conference fee so we didn't have to see those charges.

2. The restaurants are extremely expensive and just OK. We did not go to the uber expensive restaurants like Bobby Flay's Mesa Grill. I just couldn't justify the cost and when I travel outside of the US I don't want to eat food that I can get in the states. I really wanted to eat more traditional food to the Bahamas but to do that I would have to go off the resort in a taxi. I was most disappointed in our dinning experience while at Atlantis, just not a good cost effective variety.

3. I am a none smoker and really didn't like the smell of smoke as soon as you entered the resort and from any entrance. Even our room had a slight stale smoke smell. It was very unpleasant and for me a bit gross.

4. I felt the hotel was very dated. It felt a bit worn. Our room, especially the bathroom, was clean but felt tired and looked outdated. With the brand new Baha Mar being built near the airport I think this is going to become even more noticeable. I took a couple of baths and when I drained the tub the sink would gurgle. One day a shower was taken after the bath and while it was draining and the drain to the shower clogged up. Something was seriously not right. Also the water had a strange odor when the bath was filling up.

5. We don't gamble and after a day at the water park and two days at the beach there was nothing else to do at the resort. We got off the resort and went to a great little beach recommended by our driver and got to go to some local spots which had fewer people and more to do.

I know that I would not have chosen to go to Atlantis on vacation but was there because that is where the conference (couples getaway) was taking place. Our conference was great but it would have been great no matter where it was.

If you like big hotels and resorts and just sitting by a pool or beach all day for a week then this is probably a great place for you. But if you like to experience culture, if you like adventure, if you like slower pace, then this is probably not the place for you.

With so many other great options in the Caribbean to visit at a cheaper price and with so much more to offer I have no desire to return to Atlantis for another visit.

2  Thank Myflowergirls2
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Overall, we loved our Atlantis visit in February '14. We booked a 5 day, 4 night getaway with ours kids, ages 10 and 12, and it was the perfect amount of time. The resort is very clean and very well-manicured and our kids had a blast- meaning we could relax. The aquariums and marine life throughout the grounds are beautiful. The water slides and lazy river occupied most of our days. My only regret was that I wish I had packed water shoes. Other reviewers mentioned the a la carte price of everything. This is true and you do need to be mentally prepared for this before you go. Everything is extra and then there’s a 15% gratuity added on top of that. But there are ways to save. We went to foodstore2go.com and ordered snacks, water, and alcohol. We packed a collapsible cooler and every day we just filled it with ice and brought it to the pool. The delivery service had all of our food and drinks waiting for us upon arrival. Not only did we save money, but it was so nice not to have stand in line every time someone wanted water or complained they were hungry. We stayed in Royal Towers in a harbor view room. I would definitely recommend this hotel as it's in the center of everything. I personally don't think it's worth the extra money for the ocean view room. The harbor has nice enough views (you overlook boats and water - not the parking lot or dumpster) and you're not really there to hang out in the room. We thought about the meal plan, but Atlantis makes you buy the plan for entire time you are there. So if you arrive on a Friday night at 10pm you still pay for the entire Friday. Here’s my dining advice. Breakfast: skip the breakfast buffets. Do you really want to pay $30 per person to stand in line for an omlet? There are Starbucks and coffee shops everywhere on property where you can get yogurt, pastries, bagels, croissants, etc. for MUCH less. Lunch: Lunch is reasonable. We spent about $50 a day for 4 people. It was burgers and hotdogs, but fine. You won’t want to leave the waterpark anyway. Dinner: we went to the Marina each night. The marina is within Atlantis and it's kind of a Disney style marina - it's all contained in a boardwalk atmosphere with cheap restaurants like Quiznos and also family style dining at sit down restaurants that you can reserve on the Atlantis website before you go. The pools and waterslides all shutdown at 5pm, so you’ll want some kind of evening activity and walking around the marina is fun. There’s also shopping, street performers, and ice cream.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
17  Thank KristyEH123
Reviewed 19 May 2014 via mobile

After reading a number of negative reviews about Atlantis I was nervous about our vacation. However, after spending a week in the Royal Towers, I must say that I was pleasantly surprised. We stayed on a Deluxe Floor with ocean view....the view was breathtaking. We had a separate VIP concierge service in the sun lounge who called every day to see how they could assist us. We also had a separate elevator we could use that took us directly to our floor. The Royal Towers is beautiful, centrally located and the rooms are a comfortable size. We had heard that food was expensive there so we brought our own snacks. There are 4 Starbucks locations there which is wonderful and their prices were similar to home. We had Starbucks every morning (the kids too...ages 13 and 10....had juice or milk & a muffin or oatmeal) for less than 30 bucks for all of us. Then for lunch we just ate by the pool, free refills on drinks. We would splurge at dinner....typically $150-$250 for the 4 of us per night. We had to book the restaurant 1day in advance to avoid having to wait to be seated. The food was delicious and every restaurant accommodated my food allergies very well. Mosaic Buffet was outstanding! We also really enjoyed Olives (fresh pasta and amazing desserts!) & Mesa Grill (spicy food but flavourful). All staff were very friendly and accommodating. Our maid was fantastic! The kids participated in the shallow water dolphin experience which was a highlight of our trip, highly recommended. Aquaventure was very fun. The only part we didn't like was how busy it was when the cruise ship groups arrived do we made sure to go in the morning when they opened at 9 and in the evening 1-2 hours behind they closed at 7. We spent most of the day at lovely Cove Beach snorkeling and relaxing in the sand. We stayed for 6 nights and barely had time to try out all the resort has to offer. There are aquariums everywhere where you can see marine life up close. the Predator Tunnel is amazing! We also enjoyed one of the complimentary movies one night at the Coral Towers...big like s real theatre complete with popcorn! if you don't have kids, i'd recommend The Cove...quieter, private adult pool, private beach..beautiful! Don't listen to all the negative reviews, we had a fantastic vacation. Expect to pay more for food, embrace the fact that you're on vacation and have fun!

Stayed: May 2014
#3 of 14 in Paradise Island
1 mi away
The Cove Atlantis, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph...
#11 of 14 in Paradise Island
Grand Hyatt Baha Mar
Grand Hyatt Baha Mar
#1 of 36 in Nassau
Atlantis, Coral Towers, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Coral Towers, Autograp...
#10 of 14 in Paradise Island

Been to Atlantis, Royal Towers, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!