We travelled from the UK in September 2011 for 2 weeks. We upgraded to a Superior Junior Suite view and as it was a special birthday of my husband's, I emailed the hotel beforehand to let them know. We feel we got one of the better rooms in the hotel ... 14th floor on the corner, fabulous views of the ocean, Atlantis, beach and pool. We also received complimentary champagne from the porter and the maid which we thought was a lovely touch and much appreciated!
Cannot fault the rooms, clean and tidy and none of the problems which others have mentioned.
We have been on many all-inclusive holidays and weren't disappointed with the food and drink (all branded). The buffet restaurant has plenty of choice during the day and evening with theme nights etc. My only issue with the restaurant during the day is that birds do wander in and if the staff have not had chance to clean the tables, the birds will help themselves. Not very hygienic!
You do have to book between 8-9 each morning for the speciality restaurants but this is no real hardship and you will only be queing for 10 mins. We could also book for the following night too. The Steakhouse was our favourite, definitely recommended as well as Krystle. Not so keen on the gourmet restaurant and didn't try the Japanese so can't comment. Strict dress code so long trousers for men.
Entertainment is a bit disappointing and also directed towards the American guests. Repeats after a week so quite predictable for UK guests who are likely to be there for 2 weeks.
Quite a few bars to choose from but as others have said, smoking is allowed in the sports bar and lobby bar which does get to you after a while, if you are a non-smoker. Poor service from the lobby bar and pool side bar. Wi-fi in the lobby area so many use iPads, laptops etc.
Pool area is ok but cigarette butts around so could have been cleaner but I blame dirty guests for this. Beach was clean-ish, plenty of sunbeds but there is a $25 charge for umbrellas. Very competitive watersports people, lots of sellers that approach frequently.
Location is great ... 15 minutes walk gets you to the Paradise Shopping Village and to the ferry terminal to take you across to Nassau ($6 return) - well worth a visit. Guys on the boat give you information about the area and point out the stars homes. Nassau is a great town, few bars and restaurants to visit and we took a horse and carriage ride which is appox $20.
Atlantis next door is well worth a look round, including the casino. The whole hotel is impressive. Day pass for the waterpark and aquarium is very expensive - $120 - but worth the experience.
We found all staff and everyone we met (Riu staff, Atlantis staff, Paradise Island and Nassau) so friendly.
Overall we recommend this hotel. Travelling from the UK we found the Bahamas very expensive to get to as it is quite 'exclusive' so I feel the hotel is not reflective of the money paid however apart from a few minor issues mentioned above, we really enjoyed our trip to the Bahamas and the Riu Palace.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- * Located on Paradise Island (the Bahamas), 3 km/1.8 Miles from Nassau * 100 m/328 ft from "Atlantis", the largest casino in the Caribbean * 14-story building * On the beachfront * Complimentary sun loungers on the beach * 3 km/1.8 Miles to downtown Nassau * 200 m/656 ft from various shops * 25 km/15.5 Miles from the airport * 200 m/656 ft from a bus stop * Credit cards accepted: MasterCard, Visa, Discover ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Ebookers, Expedia, RIU Hotels and Resorts, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., getaroom.com, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Hotel Riu Palace Paradise Island reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Palace Paradise Island Hotel Paradise Island
- Riu Hotel Paradise Island
- Paradise Island Sheraton
- Paradise Island Riu Hotel
- Riu Paradise Island Bahamas
- Hotel Riu Palace Paradise Island Bahamas