“just blah....”

Hotel Riu Palace Paradise Island
Ranked #12 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
Reviewed 6 January 2014

We visited Riu during our late December holidays and after our stays in cancun and other similar places in past years we've expected to get the same value for our hard earned cash. First let me warn you that Bahamas in general is a very expensive place for a vacation no matter what you do, We have chosen Riu as we figured for first time in Bahamas at least we will be sure the food and drinks will be there no matter what...
Pros:
Service and staff:
1.The staff is extremely friendly
2.Room service always brings food within 30 mins or so
3. its an ocean and you have a sun during winter time... !
Cons: everything else...
My wife and myself aren't the pickiest of people and we never expect being treated like kings. We know exactly how much we pay and expect to get good food, good drinks, a comfortable bed and somewhat entertained, as that is what we came to expect from any other all inclusive resort we ever stayed in. Riu unfortunately failed on most.... so back to cons.
Resort looks like the last time it was revamped was in mid 70s.
Rooms and everything in them is damp... yes it is the weather, but it is avoidable by using dehumidifiers as going to bed in moist sheets was just ...well nasty.
The only "in house" entertainment that you will find is free alcohol. The hot tub was broken during my stay there so i cant comment on how well it works. Food is probably the worst i have ever ate and the only place that made me miss battle rations. We visited only two restaurants in the resort as in order to "reserve a place for dinner" you have to wake up at 7AM stand in line with all others who got tired of/( or simply unable to digest) the buffet food. First place we went was the Japanese one and let me tell you... if you thought the buffet food was horrible....ohh my... i would rather eat recycled card board. We left in the middle. The second restaurant was surprisingly good and was the first of two good meals we actually ate during our stay in Bahamas ( the second one was Nobu (in Atlantis) which served quite good food but not for the $200 price tag... trust me we have been to enough >$200 a meal restaurants and this one wasn't even close), but as you will find out ....everything in Bahamas is extremely expensive (think 5 times of what you would usually pay in the same place in your home town ... and i am from Seattle so its not exactly cheap here). We eventually spent a day in Atlantis ( the resort next to Riu) and you could tell that Atlantis is a full 5 star resort... and a day pass to use their outside facilities cost $140 a person i think ( you would have to check as it seemed like it changed on daily basis). The lazy river, huge aquarium where you can watch small sharks and cool fish and some water slides were fun, anything additional like watching/swimming with dolphins would sent you back another $200 bucks a person for 50 mins... so you see where i am going with this...We got hungry and decided to try the food from one of the on site fast food joints... a can of bud light and a hamburger cost me $30 lol yep... no joke :D. The food in general would make our local Mac Donald's look like a 5 diamond restaurant... when we landed in Newark we ate at one of the food places at the airport and i almost cried as i remembered how the food should taste like.
On our way there coming from Seattle i was looking forward to soaking on hot tub for a while and having some fun....
When we arrived i've been told that hot tub is broken (it was fixed according to them the last day before we left but for the heck of it i checked and it was just a small tub with room temp. water in it...) So i turned to TV to somehow burn my time there .... 90% of channels showed :Please pay your bill to Dish network. the remaining channels included CNN and FOXNEWs.... let me tell you something guys ... i now officially hate politics.... lol
I can go on and on but to make long story short... if youre a teenager that cares only to get drunk all day long and tan on the sun go for it... but then again there are better places to do that ....everywhere else.

Room Tip: there really arent "good rooms" there from what we heard from other guests. We paid $30 e...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Leon P

Reviewed 6 January 2014

My family traveled to Nassau Bahamas on a cruise. We were in Nassau on New Years Day This hotel is located on a public beach. Because of the cruise schedule we arrived at this beach at approx 3:30 in the afternoon.

My 2 teenage daughters and their 2 friends used some empty lounge chairs that were located on the beach. We did not know at the time that these chairs were inly for hotel guests There were approx another 200+ chairs stacked along the wall leading up to the hotel.

A young man who claimed to be the lifeguard/pool attendant tried to forcibly remove my children from the chairs. There were no signs stating that the chairs were only for hotel guests.

Had he calmly approached us and explained the policy we would have vacated the chairs. Instead he radioed hotel security and requested the local Police be called to arrest my children for trespassing on hotel property.

This caused a scene on the beach that upset other hotel guests. Staff needs to be trained in how to approach people in a non-hostile manner. Save your money and go someplace else.

Stayed: January 2014
Reviewed 6 January 2014

We stayed at the Riu Bahamas as a group of 16 over new years from Dec 29th to Jan 2nd. I like most people read the reviews before going and I was a little weary. I arrived with little to no expectations and let me say I was happy surprised. I have stayed at numerous all inclusive before and yes I have been to bigger and "better" resorts but our 5 days there was awesome, especially having such a large group. It is completely what you make of it, yes you can nit pick the little things as always but every place and resort as its short falls.
There were large lines at the check in, but they went quickly and you were served drinks while you waited which also helped.
Hotel Room:
- Good Size
- Beds were very very comfortable
- alcohol was always restocked in our room
- room was very clean

Food:
- Some of the best food I have ever eaten at an all inclusive resort.
- awesome selection and variation night to night
- the spectacle and spread they put out for new years eve was amazing

Pool:
- yes it needs updating, some cleaning and is small but the water was warm and the bar tenders were really really nice and went heavy on the alcohol which was great. Who goes to bahamas to stay at the pool anyways when the ocean is spectacular

Staff:
- I must say some of the nicest people we have met.
- Always said hello and asked how our time was, Always asked if we needed anything. Everyone from entertainment staff, bartenders, maids, cooks and front desk staff were always pleasant and kind .

Beach:
- always had chairs available and had attendants who could get chairs for you and put them wherever you wanted.
- beach volleyball was always fun
-ocean was amazing and water was very calm and clear
-yes there are people trying to sell you things on the beach but as soon as you said no they would leave you alone

Negatives:
- it could use some updating and does look dated in some areas but you can tell they they are trying
-small resort

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
9  Thank Diana C
Reviewed 5 January 2014

I honestly never write these reviews, but my experience at the Riu Palace Nassau was so terrible that I feel compelled.

I was staying at the Riu for one night because I had a layover in Nassau. Because of a clerical error on Orbitz' part, they only received a reservation for 1 (there were 2 in my party). The rep checking us in, Samantha, was completely rude and unapologetic. I understand that it was not Riu's fault, but instead of offering me options, but she basically said half my party was SOL. Then, she grudgingly called a call centre, and said I could add the second person for $212 (after paying $300 for the reservation). We were staying for a total of 12 hours and had one meal. This price was absolutely ridiculous. I spoke to the manager, Terry, who was also completely rude and unhelpful. All they had to do was charge me a day rate for half my party, or for the additional breakfast the next morning.

So, what did $512 buy us?
-mediocre food
-completely unhelpful staff - there were 1 or 2 kind ones, but otherwise it was like pulling teeth to try and get anything out of them
-shabby room, toilet ran all night
-spring break-like party atmosphere (probably due to widespread availability of bottom-shelf liquor)
-crowded beach with no chairs, and locals who harass you and try and sell you stuff

I will never stay at a Riu again.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank cvass2014
Reviewed 4 January 2014

This hotel is horrible! Not only do you arrive and have to wait 3 hours for a room, but the room is horrible. With 2 single beds stuck together and a cot!!! Sorry for the amount of money spent this is ridiculous. There are no kids activities at all. Pool is cold not heated don't come here. Logging on to the internet is even hard it comes and goes.

Room Tip: Don't waist your money
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Laryl2014
Reviewed 3 January 2014 via mobile

I stayed in December with some of my family and my fiancé.

The only issue we had was that the first room they gave us was in front of the elevator and overlooking the pool. We are engaged adults with no children and did not want to wake up every morning at 6 a.m. to screaming children waiting for the elevator. My fiancé needed to work to convince them to change our room and we ended up overlooking the parking lot and front entrance :-/ in the new room they eventually agreed to let us have. On the plus side, I never woke up early to loud noise in the hallway. As other reviewers noted, the rooms are small and not luxurious in any way. The first room they gave us, closer to the ocean, was very musty but the second one, overlooking the parking lot, was much less odorous. As we were on a family trip and spent very little time in the room, it met our needs without complaint. I will say bring your own hair dryer though after struggling with their old one on the bathroom wall. Three twenty something brothers in our group shared a room and never received the cot they requested in advance and every day during our stay.

I have stayed at a number of all inclusive resorts and I must say this was the best all inclusive food I have eaten. Every meal offered a nice variety and plenty of fruits and vegetables as well. We ate at the Steakhouse on Christmas and the lobster tail was delicious.

The beach is beautiful and clean and we never had any issue with it being public. All beach goers seemed friendly and there seemed to be many families. The water was rough most of our stay, but when I walked all the way down (in the opposite direction from Atlantis) the water was calm at that end of the beach. My family enjoyed body surfing and playing in the sizable waves during the trip.

I found the waiters and bartenders to be very kind and accommodating. The main hosts in tuxedos outside the buffet and restaurants at dinner seemed less flexible and accommodating, telling our family who were running 15 minutes late on Christmas that he was about to revoke their reservation, when half of us were already seated! I did not have much reason to interact with other hotel staff so I will say that for me, the service was good. Dale in the spa was very entertaining during my pedicure!

We spent most evenings wandering the grounds at Atlantis and playing at the casino. The proximity to Atlantis is wonderful as you can have the quiet, small family resort feel with all the nightlife of Atlantis only a short walk.

This was a great vacation spot to relax and spend time with our extended family. There was plenty of space for everyone to do their own thing while also being small enough that we could find each other quickly.

Stayed: December 2013
3  Thank Dixeydixeydixey
Reviewed 3 January 2014

This is a great place to relax and enjoy the beach and not feel you been robbed like in the Atlantis. Food is great, restaurants are fine and helps create the intimate ambience, but the buffet food is just as good. The rooms are clean, had some issue with the toilet flush, but nothing major. The staff is what makes this place special. They are great ambassadors of Bahamas...very nice, friendly and really there to serve and make you feel special. I would definitely stay here again. Beach is right there and you can wonder around and head over to the Atlantis side if you do not want the crowd. This is the first time I've done an all-inclusive, and I have to say, Im a fan. No worries whatsoever, but just eat, drink, and enjoy.

Room Tip: The maintenance staff needs to be reminded if you needed to re-stock your lotion, soap, etc. YOu thi...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Comfort Suites Paradise Island
#5 of 14 in Paradise Island
Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive
Warwick Paradise Island Bahamas - All Inclusive
Warwick Paradise Island Bahamas ...
#2 of 14 in Paradise Island
Breezes Resort & Spa Bahamas
The Cove Atlantis, Autograph Collection

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Paradise Island? Share your experiences!