“Please read until the end”

Hotel Riu Palace Paradise Island
Ranked #12 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
Reviewed 17 February 2014

We just came back from a wonderful vacation where we staying at Riu Palace Paradise Island.

Let me start the review with this word "Comparables", when buying a house, a car we always look at comparables. Let me start with the pros of the hotel.

1. Location: Location Location. Hotel is literally next door to Atlantis. Meaning that you will have the opportunity to go for a walk, go to a movie, see a comedy show, do some shopping (Tortuga Rum Cake is a must) or just admire the beautiful yatchs on the marina. Or just try the luck in the casino. Also you can just hop in a cab $12 for a trip downtown.

2. Beach is great clear water and you can swim a see fish really nice.

3. WIFI: Free wifi in hotel and rooms and the speed is quite decent. I use skype with no problems.

4. Rooms: Rooms are spacious with a nice washroom and a balcony to enjoy the view and the sunrise/sunset

Here's is when I will use the concept of comparable when evaluating the property. If you compare the food in this hotel with the ones in Dominican Republic or Mexico, then this hotel is pretty far from the options and selection available in those hotels. If you are like me 4 days/3 nights not a big deal but if you're staying 10 - 14 days keep that in mind. Trust me the food was good but not at the level of other Riu Palace.

Tip: Ask for a room on floor 11 or higher on odd numbers (01, 03). You will have a chance to enjoy the view of atlantis, the cruise ships, the beach and also enjoy the afternoon sunlight in the balcony.

Also please keep in mind you're on vacation, the service staff is super friendly and laid back so any request will take time.

Room Tip: Tip: Ask for a room on floor 11 or higher on odd numbers (01, 03). You will have a chance to enjoy t...
6  Thank cyberd

Reviewed 17 February 2014

Recently stayed Feb 9th to the 13th was very disappointed. The rooms are damp and dated. Beds are in poor condition and the so called junior suites are as small as most motel rooms. Food was always cold and not high quality. Ate at the steak house not bad but the Japanese was a poor excuse, worst ever down south. One day they forgot to make our room which was quickly rectified once we told the front desk. Beach is great and the staff are very friendly. Overall I was expecting more having stayed and The Riu chain in many other countries.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 February 2014

We just returned, having celebrating our 35th wedding Anniversary. We expected a nicer room. Everything is so outdated in the room. Always had a bad odor. We would always keep the patio doors open and that helped. The linens are very old and stained. The hotel staff are friendly. The hotel lobby are nice as well as the restaurants The entertainment was just average. Meeks was awesome, always had a smile. The all inclusive was one of the reasons why we picked this hotel. We would not return here again unless they remodeled and updated all the rooms.

Room Tip: Expect very outdated and smelly rooms.
Reviewed 14 February 2014

My husband is native Bahamian, and we visit frequently to see his friends and family. This was our first stay at the Riu. Security stopped him at least three times to verify that his resort bracelet was not "counterfit." How rude! They did not stop anyone else like this that we saw during our week long stay.
Our last night was Valentine's day, and I made reservations at the Krystal Gourmet Fusion restaurant. The food was excellent, but the maitre d' was quite rude. Every woman in line in front of me received a long stemmed red rose, and she was given a glass of champagne. My husband was on a business call, so he did not walk in with me. My reservations were challenged, until I produced the piece of paper I was given when I made the reservation. I was seated without my rose or champagne. My husband confronted the wait staff, and the service improved somewhat from there. However, it took at least 5 minutes longer than the other tables for us to be served our dinner course.
I am disappointed after reading all of the great reviews. We will not stay here again.

3  Thank Melanie J
Reviewed 12 February 2014

This was our second trip to the review. We would go again and were very happy with the service. Some advice:

1. Remember, it is the Caribbean, not New York or Boston so the pace is much slower. Be patient, you are on vacation.

2. If you do not like your room ask to switch. If they don't have something the first day, ask on the next day. Their reservations update all the time so things open up, especially during slow season. Alos, I went down very early in the morning and asked. The receptionist had nothing else to do and was pleased to help me. (ALL the staff was exceptional).

3. You want an odd numbered room on the higher floors. The odd-numbered rooms overlook the pool. The even-numbered rooms overlook the air conditioning system and crappy roof. Floors 1 through 4 seem to be for tour groups and in my opinion were not as nice as on the higher floors. Our room was 829 and it was fabulous. Our first room was 402 and it was not.

4. Be sure to agree on a price with cab drivers before getting in the cab.

5. If you are looking for a five star resort, go to Atlantis. If you are looking for a more resort feel, then go elsewhere. This is a 4 star, but only because the building and systems are a bit tired. It is akin to a Holiday Inn with a big Pool deck. The views from the rooms are better than the lower end Atlantis rooms. The hotel was clean.

6. Speaking of the pool, get your deck chairs early. Best spot is the rail; you can overlook the ocean or the pool whichever view is better.

7. The wifi is spotty. Our telephones did not work the entire time we were there which I thought was a bit of a safety issue. didn't turn on the tv so have no idea about the cable system.

8. Food was fine for the price and they really tried. You are on an ISLAND people; everything is imported except perhaps the seafood which is very good. We did not like the Japanese restaurant. Steakhouse was good, Gourmet was good. At the buffet, breakfast was good, lunch okay, dinners varied. At dinner skip Italian night.

9. Go the first two weeks of Feb. to avoid the crowds.

10. I was told that at times they are over 100% occupancy. I am not sure if that is the day passes or what, but while I was there they were at 70% or so and there was plenty of room t ospread out.

11. Have fun.

Room Tip: Higher floor, odd numbered room higher number. Room 29 on each floor is the closest to the ocean in...
9  Thank Daniel H
Reviewed 11 February 2014

I was just at the Riu Palace Feb. 6-10 with my 3 girlfriends (in our early 40's). We had a great time. For the price we paid for an all inclusive in the Bahamas, I thought it was very good. The beach was beautiful and the water was crystal clear. The food was good and the service was fabulous. Staff were always very friendly and helpful. We took a 15 minute cab ride to cable beach to do a stand up paddling class with Pappasurf, and also took a 20 minute cab to downtown for some dancing at night downtown. There is also a liquor dispenser with rum, gin, and vodka in the room, which I have never seen! Wifi was free in the lobby/buffet area. For those who complain about the resort, they may need to pay more money for another hotel/resort.

Room Tip: It was worth paying a bit extra for an ocean view.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
7  Thank Heli L
Reviewed 10 February 2014

We were hesitant reading reviews, but we attended a wedding here and so we booked our trip for 5 nights, 6 days. In reading the reviews, we kind of prepared ourselves for the smoke, not accustomed to that, since we're from the US and usually travel to Mexico, smoking isn't as prominent and we kind of went in hoping for decent. It is an all inclusive, which is unheard of in Bahamas for some reason, while we were happy that food was included, we got tired of the breakfast and lunch pretty quickly, mostly the same things over and over. There is a starbucks and some nicer restaurants in the Atlantis though, so that worked well for us. The rest of the restaurants and buffets were pretty good. I loved everything we got at the specialty restaurants. (You do have to wait in an 30 to 45 min line for reservations though at 8am, boo). The staff was mostly nice, but they are severely understaffed. The bartenders are pretty slow and don't even hold your breathe for a drink other than wine in the restaurants. it's faster to go outside to stand in line at the bartender in the lobby or sportsbar.
The beach is pretty but very tiny and overcrowded. The whole hotel needs an update and revamping, the decor is outdated and smokey smelling, rust on many of the outside structures holes/missing stucco. There was sand all over the pool area, all the way to the beach, these things didn't bother us, but you don't see this in 4 or 5 star hotels in Mexico or Hawaii. You don't have to deal with as much smoke either.
Our room was stinky and musty, it's carpeted, never experienced that before in our ocean travels... but we brought febreeze, because we read how awful the rooms smelled. It is true, and they are smokey. There is smoke everywhere, in the lobby, sportsbar at the pool, at the beach, in the halls outside our room, on the balconies from folks smoking on their balconies, We only got away from it in the restaurants, which was a real bummer. They even sell cigars on the beach, so you are just inundated with smoke everywhere. The front desk does not run after a certain time, so no room service no scheduling wake up calls etc. It was only 7pm one night when we called and there was no answer for over an hour.
We tried to watch some tv one evening after dinner and entertainment (which was pretty decent, live band and dj's etc) and there was a message about 1/3 of the way through the movie that their directv was expiring and past due that it would be disconnected in 24 hours, etc this popped up every night. Not something you'd expect, pay your bills geez! Wifi is pretty awful, hopefully you don't need to work because you simply won't be able to log on for more than a few minutes at a time. Very sad. We had a couple of issues at home that we needed to attend to and could not communicate in a timely manner, you just send a bunch of emails and hope your phone will connect and eventually after an hour or so, your phone will connect and send and download your new emails.
I really wanted to give 2 stars, but they are probably worth at least 3. I just was not impressed, it's obvious from all of the other reviews what needs to be done and some of these issues can be fixed with little to no financial investment from the owners, but doesn't seem like they are very interested. It was just OK, we will not be back. There are just too many other places that WANT your money and will do what it takes to get you business out there.

Room Tip: We got a taxi from the airport and back for $35 each way, some did a shuttle for $60 per person, ouc...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive
Breezes Resort & Spa Bahamas
The Cove Atlantis, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph...
#11 of 14 in Paradise Island

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Paradise Island? Share your experiences!