“Hotel RIU and the Bahamas even better than expected.”

Hotel Riu Palace Paradise Island
Ranked #12 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
Reviewed 28 February 2014

This was our first experience to the island and the Hotel RIU family. Both turned out to be better than expected. We were hesitant as to the condition of the hotel from reading some reviews on other travel sites. I have come to the conclusion that only unsatisfied travelers do reviews. I wanted to be sure an excellent review was given. The staff was very accommodating upon our early arrival. A very short time later, they found us to let us know rooms were ready. I usually do not like doing all-inclusive as I am a very picky eater. However, I could not have been more pleased with all the buffets and sit-down restaurants. Our needs were always taken care of when asked and with a smile. Yes, sometimes the floors get a little debris on them, but with the number of bodies going through the area what do you expect. It was never very long. Always cleaning. Our room was on the Ninth floor, with partial ocean view on east side and partial island view. Perfect. Small Private balcony. Four Liquor dispensers in the room. My husband and I do alot of traveling to 4-5 star hotels. Hotel RIU falls into that category for the Bahamas. We would definitely return to the Bahamas and the Hotel RIU. Looking into other RIU properties.

Room Tip: Rooms above 5th floor better view of island and ocean view.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Dave-MarciaH

Reviewed 28 February 2014 via mobile

I went for 5 days and went alone. I read the reviews and had no expectations well I was pleasantly surprised.The location was amazing , the food was awesome ( they need to find a better system for the restaurant reservation ) the Steakhouse is great, the Fusion restaurant was great , the staff so friendly. Even other people staying at the hotel were also shocked about the reviews , I can only say positive feedback about this place. I has a great solo vacation and met so many friendly people.

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank Jessica N
Reviewed 27 February 2014

My Girlfriend and I were there for 3 nights/4 days this past week and had a great time. All the negative reviews we read were quickly found out to be false. The check-in desk was very friendly and helpful upon arrival, and we had no problem getting drinks as soon as we gave our bags to the bell. We immediately found ourselves at the beautiful beach, the sand was great, not too hot to walk on, and the blue water is stunning. The waves are strong right in front but if you go a little deeper the water is as calm as a pool. There was a school of harmless fish that shared the shallow waters with vacationers which was really cool to see. The pool was not small by normal standards and honestly if that's why you go to the Bahamas you are really missing the point. We went jet skiing and were lucky enough to find ourselves surrounded by a school of dolphins, something I will never forget.

The food. Exactly what I expected. When cooking for hundreds in a buffet style it is hard to keep quality, and I never had an issue with the quality of what I ate. Sure, its not the best food in the world, but I found sticking to local ingredients and dishes made a huge difference. All the grouper and conch is delicious. One night they had a crab and conch stew that looked unappetizing but was one of the best things I ate on the whole trip. Remember that the islands know how to BBQ and grill, ribs were always good as well as jerk chicken. Oxtail stew and curried goat were also great. I also had a small affair with the ice cream station during my stay.

Specialty Restaurants: We ate at the steakhouse and Krystal. Making reservations was a stupid system but we just woke up early and booked the next two nights. Sit towards the window and podium in the club area to be at front of the line. The steakhouse was ok, sides and apps were nothing special. Steak tasted like it would in a friends backyard grill, which isn't a bad thing, just not steakhouse quality. Lobster with the surf and turf was small and just ok.
Krystal on the other hand was wonderful, the decor alone allows you to have a more restaurant feel experience and the food was great too. We had ordered Sea Bass and Lamb for entrees, Sea Bass was great, Lamb was good. For apps we had a great pumpkin soup and veggie ravioli which were both high quality. The wine stunk but they will get you whatever drink you want. Overall the specialties were nice, having eaten buffet style for breakfast and lunch it was nice to have a cohesive meal.

Breakfast is standard hotel breakfast with many options, bacon was great. Smoothie bar was cool too.

Alcohol: Unless you ask for better brands they give you bottom of the barrel. I did have a lot of Johnnie Walker red, also spotted Jim Bean, Stoli, Appleton to name a few better brands. Kalik and Sands light rounded out beer selection. All the drinks we had were pretty tasty, even my girlfriends much doubted Espresso Martini.

The room: Our room was awesome, 1101, and was very clean. Yes it was damp, because of the carpets, which should be pulled out. Not a deal breaker at all. Rooms are good though, no real complaints.

If you want a luxury style hotel that pampers you, or if you need to work while away, this may not be the place for you. But if you want to relax and sit at the beach and pool all day, eat whenever, and have a good amount of drinks in an old world style hotel, then this is a great place to get away for a few days.

Room Tip: Higher up is always better.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Jon R
Reviewed 26 February 2014

This is our second year at the riu , we wouldn't want to stay anywhere else.....the location, price, the food is out of this world. The very friendly staff makes you want to go back year after year....I could go on forever.....everything I have to say is positive.......definately more then I expected!!!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Rhonda D
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 25 February 2014 via mobile

Pros:

The ocean is gorgeous
Breakfast was fantastic
All rooms provide an ocean view
Most employees were very friendly and accommodating - probably the nicest staff I've ever encountered abroad

Cons:

Lunch and dinner buffets were hit or miss
There were straws all over the beach - every other caribbean resort I've ever visited has a "no straw" policy, their beaches are so much cleaner
We had brown tap water in our faucets and shower
Our room smelled like mildew
Internet service was poor

I'd return to the Bahamas, but I'd likely stay at a different resort.

It's a shame we didn't have a better experience, I was planning an Aruba trip within the next year and their property was on our short list...

Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 24 February 2014

We stayed this past weekend at the Riu and I must say I truly enjoyed our stay. I was a little nervous after reading a bunch of trip advisor reviews but no need to fret people.

We stayed on the 15th floor in room 1527 with a beautiful view of the ocean and the pool. Check in went smoothly. Asia helped us and she was terrific. The room was clean and spacious enough, the bathroom was clean with the bthtub being spotless..no mold people.

We ate at the buffet and at the steakhouse and the gourmet. I am a bit of a picky eater but I have to say the meals were deicious. Yes the lunch buffet had burgers, fries and hotdogs every day but it also had a variety of other good food. I thought the food was great, lots of choice and not boring in any way.

The staff were friendly always saying good morning and a smile on their face. Bring some 1 dollar bills to tip those that standout. Its not expected but very appreaciate.

Is the hotel a 5 star not at all..I would give it a solid 3.5. Its not a palace though under the Riu umbrella of hotels that bear the palace logo either though. Riu should re think calling this one a palace...just a thought.

I would say this its a nice resort, food was great, drink plentiful and a nice short jaunt from my hometown.
Just go you will not regret it..

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank bruceygirl
Reviewed 23 February 2014

Here are answers to questions I had before my stay:
How far is it from the airport?-about 25 minutes by taxi. $45 with tip each way.

How close is it to the Atlantis?-the Beach tower is one of about 10 Atlantis buildings. It connects to the other buildings both through tunnels and outside. A day pass to the waterpark is $139 for adults and $80 for 12+ under. You can walk back to the Riu for lunch via the beach boardwalk (about 20 min walk). They sell tix in the Riu lobby. They are the same price at the Atlantis itself. The park is open 9-5.

Is there good sun at the pool? -
The sun doesn't hit the pool fully until close to noon due to the tall buildings. You don't need to get up early to save chairs. The chairs closet to the pool hit get the first sun. The pool gets dirty by the end of the day with many drinks being spilled in it and sunscreen.

The beach is amazing but full if hawkers. Just politely say no and the will leave you alone. The surf was really strong when I was there.

The rooms are fine. The king bed is two doubles pushed together with nothing covering the crack. We needed a cot. Not much room to move around in with a cot but it did fold up nicely.

We ate at the specialty restaurants and they were all great. The buffet gets old after day 2 but there is always something you can find to eat.

Not much for nightlife, but we were tired from the days activites each day so we didn't mind. The Atlantis casino is a 15 min walk through the tunnel.

The staff was fabulous. Super friendly and helpful. I would go back.

• Stayed: February 2014
Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive
Breezes Resort & Spa Bahamas
The Cove Atlantis, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph...
#11 of 14 in Paradise Island

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Paradise Island? Share your experiences!