“Very Good! :)”

Ranked #13 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Very Good! :)”
Reviewed 7 May 2014

My husband and I went here for a week last May/June for our honeymoon and had a great time! First, I will say that either of us have been to an all inclusive resort before so we had nothing to compare it too. Check in was easy, we had to wait about 20 minutes but we had a couple drinks while we waited. (ask for the "goombay smash" it's not on the menu but one of the best drinks they have!) Once we got to our room it was extremely clean (yes we had two full beds pushed together to make a king, but really who cares?) Our view wasn't the greatest but that didn't matter to us either. The food is GREAT at first, they have so many different options and "theme nights" at the buffet but by the end of our week long stay it did get old. (i'm sure that happens everywhere you go though) Room service is not bad, but if you're really hungry just go to the buffet it's much faster! The only bad part about the restaurants is that you have to make reservations at 8am. (They allowed me to make 3 nights of reservations at once so I only had to wait in that line one time during the whole trip!) Yes, the Atlantis is next door (walking distance about 5 minutes) We went there 3 nights to check it out & go to the casino. We would have used their pools and slides but it rained 4 out of 6 days we were there :(
The pool at the RIU is not very big but it was never crowded either. The beach is nice and we only had to tell 2 or 3 people that we weren't interested in what they were selling so don't let other people's reviews scare you because it wasn't bad at all. BRING BUBBA CUPS! Especially if you plan on sitting on the beach for awhile, the resort only gives you small plastic cups but if you bring your own they will make your drinks in that :)Entertainment was fun, they do have a lot of activities going on during the day & night. However, the resort is not that big so if the Atlantis was not right next door my husband and I probably would have got bored through out our trip. Lenny is such a great bartender and so much fun. They all knew our names by the end of the week and even gave us hugs good bye. Make friends with them, you'll all have a better experience. Overall, I would give this resort 4 stars. Nothing really went wrong (except the weather which they couldn't control) and we really enjoyed ourselves. I would plan to go back and visit again!

Room Tip: If you specifically want a King size bed, double check that you received one upon arrival!
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Jenna M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,178)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 5 May 2014

This was my third Riu hotel that I stayed in, and this one had noticeable differences compared to the others, which I'll recap as follows:

Location:

The resort is situated on fantastic Cabbage beach that stretches for miles long - great sand and location makes this a prime spot! The beach is a public beach, so expect others to come migrating in to share the beach, which might bring in more people, but really the beach stretches miles long, so lots of room for all. The beach is so no nice, that people from the Atlantis hotels next door would come to use the beach and not their own. The resort did not have any umbrellas or huts like other Riu, so you have no cover from the sun - unless you want to pay $25 to borrow a beach umbrella offered by the locals on the beach. That was a disappointment and perhaps they didn't offer this because it's a public beach - not sure. [Note: that you can't cross over to Atlantis beach since you need to be staying there or purchase a day pass].

Resort facilities:

Typical among other Riu hotels: there is a swim up bar, but the pool and area appears to be smaller that others Riu hotels, so it can be more crowded. I went off season, so it wasn't the case, but I imagine that it can be during peak season.

There are 4 a la carte restaurants and 1 buffet onsite: grill and steakhouse, Japanese, gourmet and a fusion restaurant. You need to book at 8a.m. of the day to get into these restaurants, so go early and line up. Unfortunately, you can book for the next day, so you might be lining up for nothing since all spots might be full. It's really not a fair system that they allow to book for the next day, and hopefully that'll change. There are 2 bookings: 6:30p.m and 9:00pm.

There is a sports bar, and a bar at the lobby for beverages. A bit disappointed that the pool table was "out of order" for the entire duration of my stay. There is also a nice gym and also an on site Spa, and convenience store that is well stock for essential needs plus a gift shop.

The "Krystal" fusion restaurant menu looked nice and the room setting was nice, but my entrée was not very good - overcooked rubbery sea bass, but perhaps the chef had a bad night. I only tried one other restaurant, which was the Japanese - it was good, but my entrée again was a bit off.

After experiencing 2 a la carte restaurants, I would say that the buffet is a lot better and more fulfilling. The portion sizes of the restaurant were small, so I went to the buffet prior :) On that note, the buffet was fantastic!!! Each night was themed and the food selection was ample even though the buffet was smaller than the other 2 Riu hotels I've been to. Breakfast buffet is the same selection each day with some small variance, but that's expected for breakfast (the fresh doughnuts were wonderful!) and don't forget to try the omelette station. Everything is fresh and good and the dessert bar is spectacular! Nice salad bar and a wide range of drinks - in a quick summary there are far too many food choices to choose from, which is not a bad thing. In conjunction, the fast and friendly servers makes it a nice experience.

There is nightly entertainment as well starting at 8p.m. - performers, karaoke, etc.

One thing I find missing with this Riu resort is that the Riu entertainment staff seem to be absent or scaled down from the beach unlike the others I've been too, which they would come around to get people into games/activities.

Room:

Was nice!! I got a partial ocean view, but it was pretty much viewing the ocean. Here's the difference: if you get a even numbered room, you will face the garden, and if you get an odd numbered view you will face Atlantis. I was facing the garden, which gave me 100% privacy since there is no other resort on that side, and the beach and ocean view was AMAZING. The other view is facing the pool and Atlantis tower next door and also the other big Atlantis resort. So it depends what you want to see as view. Also note that the garden view has 2 large mechanical fan units at ground level, which makes a constant noise, so if that might bother you at night, go to the 'odd' number rooms facing the other side of the resort. However, the sound of the ocean/waves masks it very well....but it's a trade off that you have to decide on.

The rooms were typical among other Riu hotels. Same furniture, etc...still wished there was a proper blanket in the rooms, as it can get chilly with the AC, but I think that because of the humidity they can't offer normal blankets - not sure. Being that it's a high humidity and hot temperatures expect the resort inside to feel sticky and musky smelling.

Note: there appears to be a hot water issue for the duration of my stay, and I think it's normal based on other reviews I read. Hot water is hit and miss - sometimes good in the morning, afternoon and none in the evening. Most of the time it was luke warm or cold. I think it's because they run out of hot water...not sure. So time your showers!

Overall: Fantastic beach, great buffet, average a la carte restaurants, but great friendly service throughout. 4 stars out of 5 - biggest issue is the hot water and the lack of shade/umbrellas/huts at the beach.

Room Tip: As noted in the review: Even numbers face the garden and offers privacy - choose a room with the hi...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ralphy2011
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 2 May 2014

Travelled here last April, was not impressed. This resort is not a Palace like the other Rius I have experienced. Rooms were a but run down, and all together not the same caliper you would expect from a Riu Palace else where. The partial ocean view suite I booked ended up being mostly the top of a roof and AC unit and just a spec of waters. I was very upset and asked to switch rooms (which they did, although insisting that my room was already ocean view). The room I moved to was not as nice but did have a bit of a better view. It is convenient that this resort is directly next door to the Atlantis so we went there everyday, but in general, I don't know what all the fuss is about the Bahamas. It was nice to see the Atlantis property and Marina, but I would not return unless I needed a quick/short weekend getaway and didn't have many options (but would not stay here again). The waters are just okay here compared to other destinations (not sure if there are better locations in Bahamas other than Paradise Island). Overall the trip was good, but not the best I've had.

Room Tip: If you stay here, go all out on the room option. You will most likely end up disappointed with anyth...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Nicole M
Sicklerville, New Jersey
Reviewed 30 April 2014 via mobile

Paid for an OCEANVIEW ROOM with two queen beds. This hotel does not have queens, they have two twin beds & call them queen beds & What we received was a room overlooking the top of the building. Was told it was an extra $100 a night to get OCEANVIEW that we paid LIBERTY TRAVEL AGENCY IN SICKLERVILLE NJ. Got to room key did not work. Finally get into room & put our stuff into room safe but then it stopped working & could not retrieve our stuff out, go BACK down to desk & the very same person that checked us in 8 minutes b4 & she asks me for id...smh..then ask for a manager. Guess what? She's ALWAYS OUT TO LUNCH. INVISIBLE. No hot water in our room. Unable to take a shower. Engineer NEVER show'd either. Food terrible unless u like dried hamburger & ALOT of bugs crawling around your food. Not worth the trip. Will never recommend this horrible resort. I blame liberty travel & Robin Rizzo. Terrible place do not come here!!!!!

Stayed April 2014
10 Thank Inuksunamoon

Travellers are raving about these Paradise Island hotels

Memphis, Tennessee
Reviewed 30 April 2014

The only good thing I can say about the Riu is that the servers in the dining area and the ladies who cleaned our rooms were very nice. I will never stay there again and would never recommend it to a friend. Our room smelled terrible - kind of like a sweaty locker room with some smoke mixed in. The halls were smokey. There were ash tray cans by every elevator on every floor. I am sure there is no such thing as a non smoking room. Our room was freezing! The air did not adjust, so we constantly had to turn it on or off or open the balcony door to warm up. Our room was by some huge fan on the roof so it was loud and you couldn't hear the ocean. Not many TV stations worked on the TV. Wireless was AWFUL! We had to reconnect multiple times a day, it constantly dropped, and most in our group just stopped trying. I woke up in the middle of one night and there was no water. They said it would be off until 5:00 am. No idea why! Showers were usually luke warm by the end of the day when everyone showered at once. The food was average. Breakfast was probably the best and lunch was not bad. Don't eat there if you want fresh seafood because you will not find it on the buffet! The restaurants are not much better, and it's a pain to wake up early to get reservations to eat. Every night we ate in a restaurant, half the tables in it were empty, so I don't understand why it is so hard to make a reservation. The beach was right next to a public access, so I think it made the beaches more crowded with cruise ship people. There was no pool side or beach service. I am sure they didn't want to make it easy to drink the "free" alcohol. The front desk staff was not too friendly and they certainly didn't go out of their way to help. My son had to go to the emergency room and left something there. The head of security was at the front desk when he heard me ask the lady at the front desk to call the emergency room for me so I could check on it. He said I could not make local calls and at first refused to let the lady at the desk make a local call for me to dial the hospital. I had a fit because she had done it for me the day before and I had also paid to stay at the Riu for five nights! It was the least he could do! He couldn't have been a bigger jerk even when I explained that I was calling the hospital after the emergency room visit. I guess he wanted me to go to the room and pay $2/minute. I had a $200 phone bill when we left because I had to use the phone in our room to arrange early transportation home after the accident. The lobby was very loud at night. There was nowhere to hang out and visit with friends after dinner. Again, I don't think they wanted to pay for our drinks while we visited. There was no where to go at night but to the Atlantis for their bars and restaurants. Only the high school college kids who don't have many expectations would find the Riu acceptable.

Room Tip: Choose a room at another hotel! If you must stay here go high up so you don't hear the big A/C...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Lisa R
Londonderry, New Hampshire
Reviewed 30 April 2014

We absolutely loved our time at the Riu!!! The staff was extremely nice and attended to our every need. We ate at 2 of the restaurants and the food was amazing as was the service. The room was very nice and even offered premium cable channels. We walked over to the Atlanis which is 100 feet away for our fill of nightlife. We were very glad we did not stay at the Atlantis..it is SO busy...literally busses were dropping off hundreds of cruise ship passengers. We had lunch at Johnny Rockets which is in the Atlantis and it cost $55.00 for the two of us..ridiculous. The Riu is relaxing not a lot at night but that's what we wanted...a relaxing vacation. If you want a lot of nightlight just simply walk next door...the Riu is the most bang for your buck.The ONLY negative of our whole trip was a man who approached us on the beach offering taxi service and breakfast down at the straw market. We payed him and he picked us up the next morning. When we got to our "breakfast" he informed us we needed to listen to A presentation and asked us for our licenses and credit cards...we got up and left. It turned out to be a time share scam. Overall, wonderful stay just beware of that man...we also saw him that very same night walking around the Atlantis scamming people.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Casey S
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 29 April 2014

I've stayed at 3 very large RIU Palace Hotels over the course of my travels and each one was situated NEXT to another very large RIU Hotel, which made it more of a super club experience with multiple pools, multiple restaurants, widespread grounds, and many, many guests. This is NOT the case with the RIU Paradise Island, and I found the smaller setting to be a refreshing change of pace from what I was used to seeing. The RIU Palace Paradise Island has 1 hotel with no adjoining property. I would definitely classify it as a "boutique hotel" with 3 bars,1 large pool with a swim up pool bar, and about 4 restaurants. All of which made the perfect setting for my 5 night stay.

The hotel is literally in the center of a lot of action. It faces one of the nicest beaches I've ever seen. The beach is white sand and is in pristine condition and the water is crystal clear and very warm. The beach staff is ready to hook you up with lounges and umbrellas at the drop of a hat. Jet Ski and Parasailing are there for the taking. Each of my days started with a brisk 3 mile soft sand beach walk in the morning, afterwards a cool drink (or two) at the pool bar was in order. Breakfast, Lunch, & Dinners were all delicious with a variety of choices. Drinks were plentiful with almost no waiting and friendly servers. What more could you wish for on a vacation???

This is REALLY cool -- The RIU Paradise Island Property shares a sidewalk with the world famous Atlantis Casino Royal Towers where they have exchange privileges and RIU guests are welcomed on the property. This is probably THE best perk of which one could ask! The Atlantis is spectacular and boasts just about every luxury store on the planet (Gucci, Rolex, Versace, you get the picture) and culminates via a labyrinth of hallways to a gigantic Vegas Casino. I spent a least 3 nights wandering about the Atlantis taking it all in. Did some gambling in the Casino and made a nice donation as I always do whenever I gamble. The Atlantis Marina is also located here with yachts that range upwards of $100 million. It is truly a sight to see. Atlantis also offer a "day pass" for anyone interested in participating in any of their daily events. The cost is based on the event and there are all types from which to choose.

Cab rides downtown start at $12. There wasn't many people venturing downtown to the tourist areas compared to other places I've stayed. But, I was having so much fun at the Hotel and at The Atlantis, I really didn't feel as if anything in the town could compare equally.

In closing, I can't say enough nice things about this wonderful little hotel experience. If you are looking for the super club experience, then this hotel is not your optimal choice. But, if you want a nice quiet vacation and leave feeling refreshed and rejuvenated, then this hotel is definitely for you!

Room Tip: Chose an odd number room as they face the ocean. And, the higher up you go in the hotel, the more y...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
The Reef Atlantis, Autograph Collection
Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive
Breezes Resort & Spa Bahamas
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph...
#11 of 14 in Paradise Island

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Paradise Island? Share your experiences!