“Great, but a few small cons”

Hotel Riu Palace Paradise Island
Ranked #13 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
Baltimore, Maryland
“Great, but a few small cons”
Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

I'm still here. It's pretty good! I'm actually relaxing right now on the balcony overlooking the most beautiful beach! This place is breathtaking. This is day 4 of my 5 day vacation. My sister and I are in our 30s and we came with our adult parents (50s).
So, here are the pros:
- not far from the airport,
- beautiful white sandy beach,
- The Krystal restaurant was excellent, we have reservations for the Stakehouse tonight.
- maid staff's attitude was excellent
- we came for the beach, so we are sold on the beach!
- the spa ladies are very nice! Tamara was absolutely excellent! Worth every penny, and would get a massage from her again.
- water aerobics was fun. (Wish there were more activities though)
- we are literally one resort away from the Atlantis. I was looking out of my window at the rooms across from mine and realized just today that those a part of the Atlantis building.
- the DIG, is the name of the Atlantis aquarium. You can get in free after 5pm (they close at 6pm)
- they are constantly cleaning the pool and I see them scrubbing the pool early in the mornings. They are really on the maintenance. The chemicals go in at 8pm.
Cons:
- the beach doesn't get cleaned regularly, so the place is a giant ashtray. And every step has some piece of trash (straw, cup, cigarette butt).
- we are from Maryland, where smoking is banned from restaurants and bars, so we were a little spoiled and grossed out by all of the smoking everywhere - it's international, so nothing you can do about it.
- the water sport vendors are overwhelming, relentless, and constantly hawking all day long at the beach. I kept hearing, "hey boss, are you ready?"
- you have to pay for umbrellas at the beach- $25.
- the one pool they have closes early (7pm), but we have 2hours of daylight left!
- rooms are clean but have a musky odor
- entertainment wasn't impressive. The dancers were really nice and they did a good job, but it was a bit dry. The best night was the karaoke night, and really, you're entertained by the other guests! Dancing was fun.
- the power went out twice since I've been here.
- it's smaller than expected, but that's not an issue since we are right next to Atlantis.
- I'm a healthy eater, and I'm a pescatarian/vegetarian. I do eat fish. Breakfast and dinner were good but lunch was horrible. It's mostly bar food only - hamburgers, hotdogs, nachos, fries, pizza, wings, fried fish, condiments, and a small salad bar. Nothing much here. You should take a cab to "The Fish Fry" and eat at a restaurant called the Twin Brothers! Delish!
- don't drink from the poolside bar outside... It is filled with flies. The caps on the syrups were left off and there are multitudes of flies crawling all over the spouts and openings of every bottle. I have one more day, but will only drink from the inside bars.
- my worse complaint is the number of flies. It's so bad that you absolutely cannot eat outdoors while you are here. Flies are disgusting!
Overall, it was a nice vacation, but I will try something different next time.

• Stayed July 2014
5 Thank K W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,159)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Kumanovo, Republic of Macedonia
Reviewed 4 July 2014

My fiance (now wife) and I departed for our trip and stay at the RIU Palace in the Bahamas with every intent to have our wedding and 14 day honeymoon there. However, we encountered an issue with a transit Visa through the US and were denied boarding at Rome. We immediately notified our travel agency who sent the RIU an email and a fax to inform them of the travel interruption. American Airlines provided a credit to us for the unused portion of the trip - even though the policy stated there was a no-refund on the air portion of the trip. The hotel portion of the trip did not have a clause stating it could not be refunded. We called the hotel to work with them about refunding the 14 nights we had already paid for and they stated they could not work with us since they didn't have a booking number directly with them. However, they also informed us over the phone that they usually refund any reservation that is cancelled - with a penalty. We called our travel agency again and they claimed several times over the next two weeks to get a refund/partial refund/ or different location. Three separate times RIU DENIED to work with us and kept our money even though we did not have a chance to make it there. RUINED WEDDING, RUINED HONEYMOON, NO REFUND FOR A FOURTEEN NIGHT STAY. Bad business practices RIU!
For travellers - be forewarned that this hotel chain will not work with you on anything if you use a travel agency. Book directly or don't stay with them. My wife and I highly recommend Hilton who provided free upgrades and catered to our every need!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank NotaRIUfan

Travellers are raving about these Paradise Island hotels

Yuba City, California
Reviewed 3 July 2014

First off people need to realize..... YOU ARE IN ANOTHER COUNTRY and the RIU is NOT i repeat NOT the god damn RITZ CARLETON. If you want a place that has good food 24 hours a day ....... excellent nightly entertainment.............and a white sandy beach with warm water.....and wont bankrupt you.............the RIU is your place.

My wife and I stayed there and had a blast. We are not the wealthiest people in the world. We are however, down to earth and don't have these super high expectations that being American makes you better than everyone. This place is really nice. the rooms BLAH! but who in the hell stays in their room ON VACATION????? you sleep there for maybe 8 hours! so who gives a damn about the crown molding has a paint chip. GROW UP PEOPLE!!!!

Look..... if you want a killer vacation and don't have the winning lottery numbers...then stay at the RIU..... there is all kinds of excursions to do on the island. if you are a normal human being who doesn't live is a BUBBLE.....then i would recommend this place for you!!!!

T.J. and Precious are excellent and funny Bahamians who work there!!!!

Room Tip: we never get our room cleaned during our stay......we never do.... i just dont like the idea of some...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
12 Thank AtwaterFan27
Memphis, Tennessee
Reviewed 30 June 2014

My first trip to the Bahamas and we stayed at the Riu Palace. I was very disappointed with this hotel. Lets start with the positives. The food was good at the buffet and the night entertainment was awesome. However I was very disappointed with the customer service from the front desk and housekeeping. I paid for a oceanview corner suite, well I could see more of the roof top of the hotel next door than the beach. The room has an awful damp and musty smell. It was not a suite but just a regular room that has a chair in it. You have to pay the vendors 25 dollars a day to rent an umbrella if you want to sit out on the beach because the one pool that they have is so very small and filled with drunk people diving in the pool. 2 of the days we didn't have water for hours. This is not a great value for the money

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank tandra r
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We have stayed at lots of RIu's some of the reviews are bad and I was leary. this hotel is a little dated the bar is small but overall we had a great time. IT is so close to Atlantis we could walk back in 2 minutes. To me it didn't make sense to pay Atlantis money when we can stay all inclusive at the Riu and walk right noext door and still see and take advantage of Atlantis. The pool at the Riu wasn't that crowded in October and I was able to get a beach chair rather easily. The food could have been better. But overall it was a good stay

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank m29jackson
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Stayed here after a very busy 5 days in New York and wanted a relaxing 5 days in the sun. The hotel did not disappoint being located on a beautiful beach with everything you would need. We opted for a sea view and had a good sized room with 2 double beds and a large bathroom. Room was clean and we did not have the musty smell other reviews have commented on. The mini bar was fully stocked with local branded spirits with soft drinks and water in the fridge. The water and soft drinks were re stocked everyday. The hotel does only have one pool but the beach is only steps away with plenty of sun loungers and plenty of water. Other reviews have mentioned the booking system for the a la carte restaurants, this is no different than any other Riu I have stayed in and we had no issues. We did always book for the late sitting which at 9pm isn't that late but even if you are unsuccessful the main buffet restaurant is still a great option. We did go to Nassau town but be warned the shops all close by 5.30pm once the cruise ships have left and there is very little open. Overall the hotel is probably a 4 star not a 5 but still offers great value for money with clean rooms and clean bar areas and restaurants, good food and an all inclusive bars with the option of having decent branded spirits and helpful and friendly staff. Would pick here over the Atlantis every time.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
8 Thank MelsR16
Reviewed 25 June 2014

My daughter had a few days before her new job so she wanted a tan. We wanted an all inclusive because we only had 3 days. Stayed at a RUI before and had a great experience. This hotel was perfect for a "quickie". Didn't have to leave the pool/ beach. The food at the buffet was great and you could eat and drink all day if you wanted. We were unable to get a booking at their sit down restaurants due to he long lines in the morning. Needs to be a better way to book restaurants. They upgraded my room because it was not ready until 5. We arrived at the hotel at 10am, they allowed us to use all their facilities until our room was ready. The room was clean, liquor taps in room and staff was very polite. We did walk over to Atlantis at night to gamble and see a show. All in all a good hotel for a short visit.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
The Reef Atlantis, Autograph Collection
Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive
Breezes Resort & Spa Bahamas
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph...
#11 of 14 in Paradise Island
3.5 of 5 bubbles 3,746 reviews

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Paradise Island? Share your experiences!