“Next door to Atlantis Big Plus”

Hotel Riu Palace Paradise Island
Ranked #13 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
Reviewed 27 January 2009

I stayed at the Riu mid January with one of my girlfriends for some fun in the sun and partying at night. Our flight was delayed for 3 hours and we didnt end up getting to the resort till 1 am and the kitchen staff was nice enough to prepare some late night snacks which made a good impression from the start. Our first room that we were taken to was on the 14th floor and overlooked the bump out from the hotel with the humming sound of the fans that overpowered the relaxing sound of the ocean water. I had a HUGE problem with this because you had the keep the door closed to not hear the fan and even then you could still here it!...so we went down to the front desk and they switched our room to the pool/ocean side which was very kind of them. The food was average I agree that the buffets were better that the reservation based restaurants,,,best one I think was the Japanese salmon was great and atmosphere too. VERY PLEASANT staff always attentive and appreciative. Drinks were good they have a menu to select from. Entertainment OK.....Atlantis though amazing lots of bars/clubs and just walking around the place is entaining in itself we went during the Celebrity Golf tournment so lots of professional sports players were there...Michael Jordan to name a few. We pre-drank at the Riu and then would take drinks to go and never had to pay cover for the two clubs that we went to; Aura(amazing) and Dragons especially because we went during the week. So if your looking for a party I highly suggest this. Also Senor frogs at the Hilton and Bambu nightclub nearby are also good thats where the cruise ship people usually hang out. Robinson Crusoe tour we went on was nice except for the cold weather 18 degrees and windy so we didnt snorkel or swim which would have been nice. Overall this resort is very clean except some of the rooms, pleasant staff, beautiful decor antique furniture:))) I think this place is a good deal for all-inclusive in the Bahamas because it is an expensive island to vacation on compared to cuba or dominican. They are renovating in the summer so it will be interesting to see the upgrades. Hope this helps!

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with friends
4  Thank JayBee-TO
There are newer reviews for Hotel Riu Palace Paradise Island

Reviewed 26 January 2009

We stayed here only one night due to an over booking from the Breezes resort. That was more then enough for us. The rooms smelled like smoke, and the bathrooms were old and outdated. The toilet kept me up due to the fact that it kept running. The refrig. in the room was partially defrosted and had a puddle of water in it. There were no ice machines on the floor, so if you need a bucket of ice you need to make a trip to the lobby bar.The so called fine dinning steak house rest. that we made a reservation for was no more then a continuation of the afternoon buffet. The salad bar was located directly under a huge leak in the ceiling. I guess that is why there was no water in the upstairs bathroom showers. This Leak was so bad that they had to put towels and a bucket under it to catch the water. What really turned me off was the bus boy kept moving the bucket and then without washing his hands would serve tables. That was enough for me as I had lost my appetite at this point. The wine was no more then a poured glass from a gallon jug with a metal twist off top. vintage 2010!!!. I could tell you more ,but compared to Breezes where we were transfered from, there is no comparison. It was the complete opposite.Trust me I am not a picky person but this place is for the birds, by the way they ate my lunch when I got up outside to get a drink. I honestly can not give this hotel a thumbs up.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with friends
3  Thank Jay H
Reviewed 25 January 2009

An absolutely fantastic time! We loved everything about this resort. My boyfriend and I decided on the RIU relatively last minute and it had come highly recommended by friends who had honeymooned there. We stayed January 4-10th and the weather was perfect. The rooms were clean and had everything you need; the mini bar was great, 4 liquors and plenty of soda which was replaced every 2 days; the staff extremely friendly and very helpful. Towels replaced as needed and never a problem getting extras if needed. We had an ocean/pool view room which we loved. The beach is shared with Atlantis but this resort is a better deal by far. THe beach is very clean and you never felt overwhelmed by people trying to sell you things or get you to do the water sports. The drinks were fantastic and just a reminder, a little tipping goes a long way. It is all inclusive but tossing in a small tip for their services is greatly appreciated and your drinks/service get better. Free to get into Atlantis casino which is a very short walk across the driveway. We would absolutely stay again, and talked frequently about getting a group together to go back. Overall we were extremely happy with the RIU resort and cannot wait to stay at another RIU resort for future winter getaways!

3  Thank beachbumcutey
Reviewed 23 January 2009

My fiancé and I wanted to take a short 4-day holiday away, and booked at the Riu after reading several mixed reviews on this site. I write to say that our holiday was lovely, the hotel employees were helpful and met all our needs, our room was comfortable with a spectacular view, the Riu offers a huge variety of food and drinks, and the beach...well, it most certainly lived up to its namesake. With so much to see and do at the Atlantis (located literally next door to the hotel), and with a beautiful beach to explore, and a very welcoming group of people to help you with anything you might need, I would recommend this hotel to anyone. We will definitely return to Paradise Island!

2  Thank Kahloxo
Reviewed 22 January 2009

Booked this as a last minute trip for my birthday. My only real complaint about this hotel is the rooms, which are old and need to be updated or just repaired.

The bad list:
-The shower had no water pressure w/ hot water but plenty of pressure for cold water. I didn't complain, but it did get annoying.
-The toilet didnt fully flush so it smelled...but after I tipped housekeeping, she dropped a blue toilet cleaner in there ;)
-There was rust/stains in the drain of the tub (again, i didnt say anything to the staff cuz its no big deal, i'm just telling you what I saw)
-The room we had was overlooking the A/C generator which was very loud but if you have enough to drink, you'll sleep fine.
-The TV had no weather channel or local news for weather. Now I'm not getting all crazy here because I could never understand why people care so much about having good TV service while on a beach vacation, BUT I would have liked to known the weather at least!

The good list:
-Only took 25-30mins via cab to get to hotel from airport.
-An in-room liquor dispenser!!! 1st time I've ever seen this and its an awesome idea! It is stocked w/ rum, vodka, gin, and brandy. The mini fridge had beers, tonic and pepsi. I only needed the pepsi cuz i'm a fiend for rum and cokes...i made them as strong as I wanted and had them whenever I was back at the room =)
-All-Inclusive Bars...there are only 3 (lobby, lounge, pool) but the resort is small and they don't skimp on the liquor.
-All-Inclusive Food. The buffets are pretty good...I mean you can't be too picky, its a budget resort w/ all you can eat. There are some memorable items...for me the Conch Fritters and some of the fish they had. The breakfast buffet doesn't change and the lunch buffet has good hotdogs and grilled tilapia. Burgers not good tho. The buffet also has a beer tap w/ the local beer 'Khalik'. I loved the stuff cuz it was lite and you can get as much as u want from the tap.
-The gourmet restaurant 'Sir Alexander' was nice, the ambience, the service and the food was a slight step up from the buffet. The steak house was just OK, I'd rather have spent another night at the buffet instead. Didn't try the Japanese place. You have to make reservations, get there at least 30-45 min before they take them cuz thers gonna be a line.
-The beach is just a few steps down from the pool area. Its pretty clean w/ plenty of chairs. The sand is white, but not as white as Jamaica or Cancun. The water is shallow turqoiuse blue.
-Next door to Atlantis casino resort. It's free to get in gamble and shop. We dont gamble but we got a pass for $35/each to see the aquariums and walk the grounds for the whole day. $105 to use their beaches and pools. It's an incredible place thats a must-see.

Overall we enjoyed the place...except next time we would go to in Feb, March or maybe even summertime because Jan was windy and the water was too cold to swim in. Even at Atlantis, there was hardly people swimming in the pool. We were still able to get tan laying out since the temp is in the 70's, but we'd like to go when its hotter. Also the mornings are cloudy, like 'its gonna storm cloudy', but they blow away around 11am and we got in and out sunshine.
Locals say its normal for that time of year.

Bahamas is too close to Florida to feel like a exotic destination w/ drastically different weather than what we were leaving from in the states in the wintertime. I think better choices for beach-goers in Jan would be cancun or someplace farther south.

4  Thank MRK74Chicago_IL
Reviewed 22 January 2009

The Riu Paradise is in a good location, about 45min ride from airport. Not to far from the city centre by car and about 1/2 hour walk . Right beside the Atlantis Hotel, though the main section of the hotel is about a 10 minute stroll inside or along the beach.

During our 1 week stay it was windy during the day and very windy and cool temperatures at night. The sun did peak out and a nice tan could be acheived. Water was cold, but once you in you adjust. Nice beach, plenty of room to roam, no seaweeds, but pepole did leave empties in the sand.

Not overly crowded, but hotel was still buzzing.

Rooms are dated, like 80's style, but good size for two people. We got a room on the 4th floor overlooking the pool/beach.

Room service was good, but they managed to put the TV remote in with the laundry. Took a day to get another one, just left it on spanish weather channel, cuz I was to lazy to get up to change it.

Food for me was slightly above average. Different themed buffets every night as well as specialty restaurants (Steakhouse, Japenese, Gourmet). Reservations needed for specialty restaurants the day before, line up early to get a spot.
Try it out, but it didnt do it for me... smoked salmon is not considered sashimi to me!

Drinks are not watered down, infact after a few, you wished they put more juice in.

Hotel sets up games during the day, there is a schedule for activities.

Atlantis water park is worth it...ask the locals for "special deals" on entrance to get in. Regular price is $105 USD.
Many people selling water sport activites, hair braiding, drinks and other things, didnt bother me, just say not interested.

All in all - maybe not worth it during the Christmas time frame, a week later and it was almost half the price.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TLTraveller
Reviewed 22 January 2009

We went to the Riu on a last minute deal. I t was an excellent deal that we could not pass up. My husband and I and another couple that are friends of ours went together. We has an amazing time and I would LOVE to go back anytime. The Atlantis that is literally right next door is Awsome and beautiful. I had the time of my life here!

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive
Breezes Resort & Spa Bahamas
The Cove Atlantis, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph...
#11 of 14 in Paradise Island

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Paradise Island? Share your experiences!