I booked this trip as a Christmas gift for a friend who has helped us out a lot over the last year and after booking it started reading the reviews on this site. I instantly felt sick as I wanted this trip to be special for my friend. I have come to the conclusion that either the people writing the negative reviews were expecting too much from a Caribbean resort or were from the competition.
We arrived mid-afternoon to be greeted by a ton of staff handing out rum punch, room keys and wrist bands. For those who complained about the wrist bands; at the Radisson Cable Beach you had to carry around a little card. Try keeping track of that for a week and you will appreciate the bands.
The room was a little tired but I had been told by the travel agent that the furniture was a little outdated but who cares, I wanted to be on the beach outside. There were a ton of towels, two reasonable comfortable double beds and every room has a view of the water. There was a safe that we were able to input our own code into for our valuables. The room was clean and even though we had requested a smoking room there was not even a hint of smoke smell in the room. My only complaint was the sink drain dripped a little onto the floor but nothing a small towel did not solve.
We found the beach and were greeted by a very happy and helpful employee who put out some chairs for us. The beach was great but ask the attendents for the best place to set up your chair as there is a shadow on the beach until around lunch time. The pool was a little on the cold side but once in and sitting at the swim up bar you get use to it.
We loved the buffet and each night they had a different theme. My favourite was Greek night MMMMM. We only ate in the steakhouse and it was pretty good but still I have to agree with others, the buffet was better. The staff in the restaurants and at the bar were VERY helpful and friendly. I tipped the bar staff after every couple of drinks and they were very grateful. I tipped the restaurant staff after every meal. Try to remember that if we were forced to live off what they make we would never have had the chance to see Paradise Island.
Getting to downtown is very easy (we went by water taxi) and the Riu front desk staff were helpful in guiding us to the pick up location. The straw market is a must see if you have not been to Nassau before but be prepared to get hot and for the crowds. It you like jewellry you will be in for a treat as the the whole of downtown is lined with fine stores.
All in all it was a great trip and both my friend and I were very happy with the hotel. I am on the site again today seeing if I can book the same hotel for my birthday.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- * Located on Paradise Island (the Bahamas), 3 km/1.8 Miles from Nassau * 100 m/328 ft from "Atlantis", the largest casino in the Caribbean * 14-story building * On the beachfront * Complimentary sun loungers on the beach * 3 km/1.8 Miles to downtown Nassau * 200 m/656 ft from various shops * 25 km/15.5 Miles from the airport * 200 m/656 ft from a bus stop * Credit cards accepted: MasterCard, Visa, Discover ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with RIU Hotels and Resorts, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Hotel Riu Palace Paradise Island reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Palace Paradise Island Hotel Paradise Island
- Riu Hotel Paradise Island
- Paradise Island Sheraton
- Paradise Island Riu Hotel
- Riu Paradise Island Bahamas
- Hotel Riu Palace Paradise Island Bahamas