“The Cove /Atlantis. The MOST EXPENSIVE VACATION EVER!”

The Cove Atlantis, Autograph Collection
Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
Reviewed 19 April 2014

My wife, daughter and I just returned from a four night stay at The Cove at The Atlantis Resort on Paradise Island. The hotel is quite beautiful , the rooms are beautiful, spacious with spectacular views of the the ocean and the entire Atlantis Resort. The beaches are pearl white soft sand with plenty of room and available chaise lounges , with shade covers, for all. The Adult Pool is vibrant with beautiful people everywhere. HOWEVER, YOU MUST BE VERY RICH TO BE ABLE TO AFFORD THIS RESORT BECAUSE THEY CHARGE FORTUNES OF MONEY FOR EVERYTHING!!!! ITS UNAFFORDABLE !!! Let me give you some examples. For one, the food and drink are absurdly expensive to the point that i was saying WOW. Are you sure the total is correct?? I can swallow the cost of the dinners at the very cool restaurants like Dune, Nobu and Carmines. That is to be expected. However, how can you charge me $120 plus dollars for three people at the beach side snack bar for average chicken sandwiches and water for three people. A bottle of "Whispering Angel" White Wine we ordered on the beach, which I checked sells for $25.00 at the local market, the hotel charges $150.00!!!! The real kicker comes when you go to Mosaic for Breakfast. They consider anyone over the age of 3 as an Adult. They charge you $ 40 dollars per person for an average buffet, even if you just have one bowl of average oatmeal! It was so way over the top it took a lot of the enjoyment out of the weekend.
God forbid you asked for a late check out if your taking a late afternoon flight home. They charge you an extra $150.00 if you want to stay in your room an extra 2 hrs past check out.

This resort would be better served as a high end all inclusive than the current set up. But these absurd prices for everything does not deter the masses from visiting and eating.

Room Tip: Our room was on the 10th Floor. View was spectacular.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Matt D

Reviewed 16 April 2014

I am already missing this little paradise!
This hotels is la creme de la creme, the food is fantastic the beach is serene and it doesn't come cheap! But people who come to this spot know what they are getting themselves into. This is not a budget vacation so do not be alarmed if you are left with a hefty bill at the end of your check-out.

We went all out during our stay, we stayed at The Cove, its a more secluded part of the Atlantis resort. The setting and decor is very alluring and sexy, with the low dim lights at night and the open airy hallways.... feels a bit like an exotic destination:-)...

The Cains pool is key because its an area reserved for adults only (sorry kids the entire resort is designated for you, let the adults unwind)...with an attractive assortment of drinks (alcoholic and non) but be prepared to spend $ 15+ (per drink) , the selection for snacks and meals are also desirable and healthy!

The nightlife was mediocre specifically the club it was extremely over priced, my biggest complaint was the lack of service at the bar (Aura) if you don't have a bottle, well you get little treatment...Note: a shot is $ 20.00 (lol)... ya I'll take a stroll into town where the real action begins... If you are looking for a place to party tryout Ibiza night club! or just hang out by the fish fry the locals are super willing to hang out and show you the Bahamian vibe.

Beaches- spotless :-) just embrace its beauty!

Room Tip: anything above the 5th floor!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Very nice experience.

The pool parties are amazing.

The Mesa restaurant (inside the hotel) is awesome

The Mosaic restaurant is ok.

The room[s furniture is a little bit older than it should be. But the size was good and very comfortable.

1  Thank Rafael K
Reviewed 15 April 2014

My wife and I just returned from a long weekend checking out Atlantis. Aside from this being a late Spring Break trip for the two of us to relax and enjoy some sun, this was our advance trip to check out this resort for bringing the kids (target = next 15 years). We had a great vacation but it was undermined by several service issues and hassles that appear to plague Atlantis.

Room - checked in on a Thursday night at 9PM. I had previously called the resort to make sure our reservation including room type and bed type (as reserved) would be available. Yes. Upon check-in, the reception clerk told us only 2 queen bed rooms were available. I explained that I had reserved a deluxe ocean view suite with king bed. Described as having 1 king bed. On the Atlantis website, 2 queen beds is a different room type and selection. The clerk told me this was a preference...

HOLD EVERYTHING.

He told me there was no available option for a room with a king bed in the Cove. Because we were tired and wanted to make the most of our stay in this short 2 days and 3 night, I opted not to refuse the available room and unpack my luggage in their lobby area. He said we could come back in morning as a king bed may be available. The next morning, I took him up on this. Shocked that we were back the next morning, he started to look for a room but continued to give me the line about how the bed is only a preference, saying he doesn't have access to my reservation to see my confirmation statement. Look on your website people! Look at the user experience of your GUESTS when they reserve a room! I called for the manager. He tried the same thing and even asked how I reserved the room (answer: your website and call center). I then sternly explained to him that we had never checked into the room that we had reserved and paid for. More typing and checking, and then we got the right room. Nowhere in any of this exchange was there a "Your room is not available, but can we treat you to dinner... or give you a cabana for the day...." Atlantis Cove needs to work on their reservation and supply algorithm and their service skills. Once in the right room, it was great - everything we paid for.

Pools - Pool and grounds are awesome. We hung out the Cain at the Cove pool one day (great service and drinks and awesome people watching - it was Will Packer's 40th b-day and he and his crew were all there) and the Cascades Pool the next day to get more beach and less hip-hop. Pools are awesome. In fact, whoever did the design on this entire resort is to be commended - very well done. Plenty of space at the Cove & Reef pools - not so much at the Mayan pool or others.

Activities - we did the dolphin shallow water experience and the snorkeling the ruins. Both were neat and I am sure our kids would love this at the appropriate age.

Service - Service was good at the bars and restaurants. Jovial crew at Seafire, great waiter at Mesa Grill, and Vanessa working hard for us at the Cascade pool. In fact, service would have been great if not for room issue above and the hassles below.

Dining and Bars - we did some progressive dinners each night to check out as many restaurants as possible. Olives flatbread was great. Our dinner at Mesa Grill was awesome. We did sushi at the Sushi Bar at Nobu and it was fantastic. Drinks, apps and/or desserts at Seafire Steakhouse and the Sea Glass lounge rounded out a nice assortment of atmosphere, food and service.

Little Things? Starbucks at the Reef was convenient for us early morning risers. Be aware, because by 9:30, it is a madhouse!

Improvements - The hassle factor was HIGH at the resort. I am fine with having to show my room key throughout the resort - it was readily available and I get that cruise ships come and go and that the Cove is exclusive. Atlantis goes out of there way to make planning your stay and then living that stay possible or convenient. Examples? You get a $250 activity credit but you can't reserve those activities in advance if you want to use that credit. OK, I wait to book one activity. By then, not as much available. But then the concierge can't book it either, you need to go to the Dolphin Cay desk and they are not open. Once there, you can book, but they don't want to talk about your credit - please see the front desk. This would be easy to fix. Let me plan and book all of this upfront. Another example? Booking dinners. Apparently everyone knows to run out 90 days in advance and book their meals. Usually resorts send out something saying please book meals, but we never got this. We tried to book meals 3 weeks in advance, but only 9PM seatings were available. The silver lining to this cloud is that we were able to sit within 30 minutes of every restaurant we wanted. Another example? The famous room key overrides. Apparently our room key stopped working one morning when we were cross resort and we needed a manager to override it every time. Quite a hassle, but OK. The ultimate hassle came when we shopped for all the gifts only to be told that shop could not do an override. Instead of doing an override or otherwise validating we were staying in our room at the Cove, they elected to have us leave the store empty handed (wife livid by this point). Another one? Bought drinks upon leaving the Cascades pool and walking to our room. As we approached the Cain, we were told no drinks were allowed into the Cain from other bars and we had to walk around the Cove? Really? The $ is all going to the same place and we are just trying to get to our room. Hassle! Another example? Upon checkout, I check the bill and see that the afore-mentioned credits were not placed correctly on my bill. The clerk argued with me saying all credits are applied automatically but she would never show me a bill that showed charges - credits = balance. Her supervisor wandered over and said such a view was not available (come on) and pulled out a calculator. Ten minutes later, my bill is reduced by $190. Apparently, the system is not so automatic. Check your bill people. These are all unneeded hassles. I have traveled the world over and I have never seen this level of service disruption at a leisure resort.

We ended up having a great time, however, all of these issues could have been avoided. Many of these issues were dished up with an extra helping of "that's how it works around here!"

We spent a lot of time researching the kids club and other activities for our children. Now, we need to decide if it is worth it to come back.

4  Thank Kevin M
Reviewed 14 April 2014

THe hotel is a nice place to go with a lot of people, but in reality there aren't that many water slides and activities, the rooms at the cove are nit worth the price, the lounge at the top isn't either.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Irantraveller
Reviewed 14 April 2014

I have nene traveling on and off to Parafise a Island since the late 1980s when this resort was simply Merv Griffin's Paradise Island Resort and Casino. Through the changes of the Royal Tower to the Cove it had its ups and downs. We returned from a 5 day stay there yesterday (4/13/14). We stayed at The Cove with 2 other couples. Traveling with other people always seem to make a vacation enjoyable. Here are my observations:

1. The Cove was at one time an adult only Resort. Only Aults over 18 were permitted to stay and eat there. If it's adult only then it should simply be that. Children under 18 should not be allowed to stay at this part if the Resort. There is Harborside, Royal Towers, Coral Towers, and Beach Towers for Children. Period. I'm not a child hater. My children are grown and I want an adult vacation with my adult friends and husband.

2. Cabanas are in need or repair. Adults rent the cabanas and then sneak their kids in them through the beach. I don't want to hear you kids crying and throwing things against the wall in the Cabana. The Resort needs to get a better handle on this.

3. The rooms are in desperate need of upgrading and repair. When I am paying over $1,200.00 per night the tub shouldn't be scratched, the shower shouldn't be broken and the rug and room should not look worn down.

When The Bahamas Mar Resort opens if The Atlantis doesn't keep a better handle on things such as upgrading, repairs, and maintenance and once again make sure each part of the resort remains what it's supposed to be instead of trying to be all things to all people in all parts of the resort, it is going to see a steady decline in its clientele. This to me would be a shame since I have seen the rise from Merv Griffin to the spectacular Atlantis compound.

Food at the resort is mediocre at best.

For the most part staff is friendly, service is prompt but much more eye rolling and "why are you bothering me" attitude going on then I remember.

Weather is great. I love the Beach...any beach so no complaints here.

Cain at the Cove is fun and great for people watching. Average rating at best all around and I wish that they would take note and bring it back up to that 5 star status again.

Room Tip: Anything that is a waterview is quieter than a room overlooking any pool.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank DebPete1024
Reviewed 13 April 2014

We could not have asked for a better vacation! We stayed in the club level of The Cove and the service was absolutely amazing! From the man who set us up with our limo, the lady who walked us upstairs, all of the concierge who were just absolutely amazing and of course the bartender ray who really made us feel welcome and provided us with much laughter and great drinks! Jasmine was so sweet and went above and beyond to help set up the internet on our tablets as well! Was so sad when we walked over to the royal towers to see the aquarium and when we stopped to get a drink the bartender was incredibly rude! We refused to get drinks from anyone other then ray after that! The room was beautiful and I couldn't stop taking pictures of that view! We hope to be back soon!!

Room Tip: Spend the extra to stay at the club level of the cove! It will be worth it!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Paradise Island
1 mi away
Atlantis, Royal Towers, Autograph Collection
0 mi away
The Reef Atlantis, Autograph Collection
1 mi away
The Ocean Club, A Four Seasons Resort, Bahamas
The Ocean Club, A Four Seasons R...
#5 of 14 in Paradise Island
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph...
#11 of 14 in Paradise Island
Grand Hyatt Baha Mar
Grand Hyatt Baha Mar
#1 of 37 in Nassau
Warwick Paradise Island Bahamas - All Inclusive
Warwick Paradise Island Bahamas ...
#2 of 14 in Paradise Island

Been to The Cove Atlantis, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!