“Three words, Cove, Cove, Cove!”

The Cove Atlantis, Autograph Collection
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
Birmingham, Alabama
“Three words, Cove, Cove, Cove!”
Reviewed 18 May 2014

I was a little apprehensive about Atlantis after reading some of the reviews online. I read reviews on both the Atlantis and the Bahamas in general. First let me address Nassau and some of the reviews I read online. Nassau has a bad rap if you read some reviews online. There were some concerns about safety due to the articles I had read. We landed at the airport which is awesome. It has just recently been built and looks better than most airports I've been in. We took a taxi to Atlantis instead of the bus (I don't want to be waiting on others when I'm on vacation) The taxi is just as cheap as the bus and they are readily available. On the ride to Atlantis I noticed how beautiful the country was. I asked the taxi driver about some of the negative things I had read online about crime in the Bahamas. She explained that the island was only 23 miles by 8 miles so if one thing happens you hear about it. She then tells me that every time something happens, it's always because someone was doing something or looking for something they shouldn't be. That puts them in danger in which they shouldn't be in those places anyway. Just like here in the US, stay away from trouble and you won't get burned. Made sense. When we got to downtown Nassau there were police at every corner.....every corner! You couldn't sneeze without a cop saying "bless you". To get on the resort you have to cross a bridge which is gated on the other side. Then once on the property there is security everywhere! So not once did I feel uneasy; actually, I felt safer there than I do in the US!
The other reviews I read were about the cruise ship passengers and the cost. First the crusie ship passengers....they are everywhere! This is the one negative I would have to say. I didn't like feeling like I was paying so much and these people can just walk everywhere! However; if you stay in the Cove or the Reef, they cannot go here! Security is at every corner and they will not let them on that part of the resort. We split our stay between the Cove and the Reef because the Cove did not have availability the entire stay. The Cove is fantastic if you don't have kids. The rooms are modern and the pool is awesome. More of a younger crowd with club style music. The Reef is also super nice but more setup for families due to the full kitchens. Now the cost,,,,,,
Atlantis is expensive! I will say it again, Atlantis is expensive! Don't plan a trip here if on a budget. The cost of food and drinks per day for us was around $350. The food is fantastic but costly. Yes, it's expensive. Not much else to say about the cost. Expensive!
Waterslides are awesome! I was like a kid again. The beaches are great. Very clean property and friendly staff. We did encounter some staff that had very blunt attitudes, but that is everywhere. So my final recommendation is yes, you should go to Atlantis. Just be prepared on the cost.

7 Thank Jbduncan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (734)
Des Moines, Iowa
Reviewed 16 May 2014

Yes its expensive, but we felt it was worth it. I would also recommend the dinning plan as there are lots of great choices for food. Our family vacation was unforgettable! Family: boy 12, girl 10. Kids absolutely loved it. Deluxe ocean suite @ The Cove.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Matthew C
Munster, Indiana
Reviewed 15 May 2014

The Cove was easily the most beautiful tower/ section of the entire resort. When my husband and I were looking for our honeymoon destination and decided on the Atlantis, we decided that since it would be our only honeymoon, we would spend the extra money for the top-of-the-line tower. We stayed for one full week with an ocean view. They did upgrade us to the executive ocean view suite (higher floor was the only real difference) upon checking in. The private pool (no one under 18 allowed - fantastic), and the private beach solely for Cove guests were worth the extra money easily.

Be sure to visit John Watling's Rum Distillery if you want to head away from the hotel at all - just a short taxi ride away! Very cool place. The drinks are fantastic, and the grilled fish wraps are amazing.

Other items of note:

Bad: (1) Although kids aren't allowed at the pool, they ARE allowed to stay in the Cove tower. The walls are pretty much paper thin. We had children in both of our next-door neighbors' rooms. We never actually even had to see them, but could hear them constantly crying through the walls early in the morning.

(2) If you do the shallow water interaction with the dolphins at Dolphin Cay - realize that this is NOT "swimming with the dolphins" - you get to kiss the dolphin and pose for two photos with them - that's it. If you have kids with you, they will allow the kids to feed the dolphins. To me, $216 was too much to spend for kissing a dolphin. You weren't allowed to take photos - you had to buy the photos that their photographer took if you wanted any. I thought we would buy one photo and be good to go, but they don't allow you to buy just one photo. You have to buy ALL of them or NONE of them. $120 total for the CD. What a rip. My advice - just skip the dolphins altogether.

(3) Skip paying for the town car ride to/from airport through the Atlantis web site since they outsource a terrible transportation company for this service. Taxi drivers are more reliable and more pleasant to talk to (and only about $35 one way, tops). We booked the town car to/ from the airport to make things easier for us, and because it was our honeymoon, for a total of $175. We landed, grabbed our luggage and walked out to the pick up area. Our names were not on any of the Atlantis signs that the drivers were holding. We walked over to the Atlantis storefront booth and the woman wrote out a card and sent us across the street to a separate booth called Dan Knowles Tours. We waited 30 minutes until the town car arrived. We didn't even mind much, since we were just happy to be on our way to the hotel. Going back to the airport after our stay at the Cove was over, however, was much worse. The town car never showed up ever after the concierge confirmed the reservation the night before. Unacceptable on so many levels, since we had prepaid for this service. Ended up taking a taxi for less than half the price. Still waiting to get reimbursed for the town car, though.

(4) The massage services are sub-par. Don't bother with it - you will be disappointed and overcharged.

The reason I am still giving it 4/5 rating is because the customer service is fantastic everywhere you go, the food is divine (we highly recommend Nobu for sushi and Courtyard Terrace for seafood), and the water slides, pools, lazy rivers, etc were outstanding. Everything that went wrong was through Dan Knowles Tours. I can't stress enough: just take a taxi. And we were suckers when it came to the dolphin interaction/ photos. Bottom Line: Be prepared to spend serious cash, but it will be worth it if you really take advantage of all of the amenities.

Room Tip: High level rooms are best if you can get a free upgrade - ask for a room away from others if you don...
4 Thank Melissa P
Rivera Village
Reviewed 15 May 2014 via mobile

Everyone was very nice. The valets and doormen made us feel welcome. Neyvis at the front desk was welcoming when checking in and very helpful when checking out. We went to the Cove pool Cain. Carlton was wonderful and got us all set up with lounge chairs and a waitress. Only negative was the salmon sandwich. Marvin at the bar by the Grotto pool was very friendly and nice. All in all a great stay but expensive.

• Stayed May 2014
2 Thank mlinla
Little Rock
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Hubs and I spent five nights at the Cove recently and can't say enough good things about it. Neither of us are fans of big resorts but this one may of changed my mind. It is such a beautiful place with the best staff. It is insulated from all of the cruise ship day trippers so it never felt crowded. There are two beaches to choose from plus the adult pool, the Cain, so there are plenty of options for getting some sun. The room was spacious, clean and comfortable. The public areas and landscaping are breathtaking as is the beautiful turquoise water from the beach. Overall had the best experience at the Cove.

Room Tip: All of the rooms have an ocean view
Burlington, Canada
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Went to the cove once when I turned 18 and then again at 22 and it was the most amazing trip I have ever been on. My family and I always spend our days around "Cain" pool, where the service is amazing and the servers make you feel incredibly special (we have actually kept in touch with alot of them). My advice is that this resort is not ideal for children. Although, there is a smaller pool for families with children, Cain pool is where the party is at and is the highlight of all my trips. This resort is also not all-inclusive and is quite expensive. I can't wait to go back this following winter.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Taylor M
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Hello,

We've been there for a week-end, was the perfect timing 2/3 days is enough. Get ready for serious prices, nothing is included...

Well decorated hotel; large rooms with killing views, large bathrooms. Does not make you feel that you are in Atlantis anymore. Private pool, private beach, nice clients. Close to all attractions: fun water rides, cool dolphin swim etc... In terms of atmosphere if you are looking half way between the Bahamas and Orlando, that's the place...

I'm really snobbish for hotels but I was quite surprised there. Intimate restaurants and bars. You can mix fun and romantic during your stay.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Paradise Island
Atlantis, Royal Towers, Autograph Collection
The Reef Atlantis, Autograph Collection
Comfort Suites Paradise Island
Comfort Suites Paradise Island
#5 of 14 in Paradise Island
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph...
#11 of 14 in Paradise Island
Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive
Atlantis, Coral Towers, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Coral Towers, Autograp...
#10 of 14 in Paradise Island

Been to The Cove Atlantis, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!