“Romantic Getaway”

Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
“Romantic Getaway”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

In January we stayed at Atlantis for the second time (first time in August at the Coral Towers), but first time at the Cove.

For me, while the Cove is luxurious and we loved it so much we are going back again in August, it is only worth it if you are travelling with only adults.

I have two young boys and if I were to travel to Atlantis with them, I would stay in Coral Towers, because I just don't think I would get to appreciate what makes the Cove special with them in tow.

My absolute favourite thing about the Cove is the Cain pool, and the reason we will continue to vacation here. It is so much fun, the music is perfect, the crowd is diverse and the people watching is great.

The highlight of the rooms are the washrooms. Huge!

Our room had club access which we loved, but not sure we would do it again. The extra price is definitely worth it if you eat up there for all meals but dinner and if you have the concierge make reservations etc for you. They serve breakfast, an afternoon snack and appetizers at cocktail hour, as well as cocktails between 5-7 and coffee, tea, non alcoholic drinks all day. The service was amazing, but we felt that we didn't explore the many restaurants that Atlantis has to offer, because we felt obligated to eat there. Even for dinner... we enjoy going to one restaurant for appetizers and another for dinner to get the full Atlantis experience, but didn't do that because we had appetizers at the club.

Favourite restaurant was Dune at the One and Only, love eating by the ocean and walking around that resort. Would also highly recommend Mesa and Nobu. Off resort we went to Monague Gardens and the service and price were great, plus they brought you to and from the restaurant.

By far, the Cove has become an annual (fingers crossed, semi annual) trip for us to get away for a few days and leave the kids at home. Would recommend that tower above all others for an adult only getaway.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Christine M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (720)
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Just got back from a seven night family vacation and even though our trip was long nobody wanted to leave. Our party included my wife and I plus our 2 young boys ages 4 and 6, also traveling with us was the boys' Mimi who is always a big help as you can never have too many hands with kids those ages.

Overall we had a fantastic experience. The Cove is a beautiful hotel and the Atlantis resort is an amazing property with something for everyone. While the place is certainly geared towards families there is also plenty of fun to be had by the adults especially after the sun goes down.

Really there are two versions of Atlantis. By day it revolves around all the water activities with the pools, water slides and rivers driving the fun. Then at night bathing suits are replaced by evening attire as the fun moves indoors where guests enjoy the many restaurants as well as the clubs and of course my favorite the casino.

ROOM: We loved our 2 queen bed suite. Atlantis is specific about only allowing 4 people to a room but luckily we were able to take advantage of an exception that allows 5 at The Cove provided one of the guests is under 5. Even with that many people we still had plenty of space. The bathroom is huge with a walk-in shower and a large tub. While the room is defined as a suite it was really just one large room with two beds and then a couple of steps down to a living area. The couch in the living area opened into a bed that the kids used with no complaints. We had a large balcony with a fantastic ocean view and plenty of closet/drawer space. The only issue we had was minor. There were two TVs but only one remote worked and sometimes when you tried to increase the volume with the one working remote it changed the channel. No big deal. I never mentioned it to the staff since the one good remote worked both TVs 99% of the time. We didn't go there to watch TV.

POOLS & WATER ACTIVITIES: There are pools everywhere. The Cove is literally surrounded by pools, well almost with a pool on 3 of its 4 sides. 2 of those pools are exclusive to The Cove and the Reef. Since we had the youngsters with us we didn't use the adults only Cain pool but we did take full advantage of the Cascades family pool which we enjoyed. While the other Atlantis pools are nice the ones exclusive to the Cove & Reef were not as crowded and had much nicer lounge chairs. As for the rest of the area we did enjoy a couple of kiddie pools that were perfect for our boys. Splashers was great for the 6 year old and Ripples perfect for the 4 year old as it never went deeper than 2.5 feet. Oh and we did check out the Royal Bath Pool which has a great view of the Royal Towers. Fun pool but it did get annoying as the life guard had to blow his whistle every 5 minutes to remind the drunks to keep their drinks out of the pool. Please note the pools do close a bit early. The signs say 7:00 but many times by 6:00 they were empty. Also the staff is quick to shut things down if there is any lightning in the area which happened to us a couple of times. As for the big slides those were well out range for my kids but they looked to be a ton of fun.

DINING: The only thing people do more of than swimming at Atlantis is eating. There are numerous restaurants covering just about every type of food with the places ranging from casual burger type places to 5 star put on a clean shirt celebrity restaurant joints. For the restaurants that fall under fine dining be sure to get your reservations made early as they fill up quickly. My wife loved Mesa which is located right there at the Cove. I loved the Bahamian Club. There are also a few buffet restaurants such as Mosiac which is also at The Cove. One item of note is we did sign up for the meal plan. Still not sure if that was a good or bad decision. My advice is if you do go with a meal plan be sure to read the fine print as it does not include lunch or all the restaurants or booze or room service or the 15% gratuity that is added to everything no matter if it's a $300 dinner or a simple hot dog for the kids. If you do use a meal plan just be sure to let your server know as they will tell you what is and isn't included.

NIGHTLIFE: Lots of well dressed people walking around at night. These folks hit dinner and eventually find their way to the clubs and then the casino. While I'm well past my club days and never cool enough to go anyway I did make it to the casino just about every night we were at Atlantis. Greatest casino in the world. Well probably not but it is the casino I hit the biggest hand of my life so it has a special place in my heart. Lots of table games with the usual suspects of blackjack, craps, Let it Ride (WHICH DEALS OUT 5 CARD STRAIGHT FLUSHES), 3 Card Poker and of course slots. One word of caution is the drinking and gambling age in the Bahamas is 18 so you will see lots of kids cutting loose in the casino...I swear some sitting at the tables looked much younger than 18 and might have been because I didn't see anyone get carded. But I don't blame them. I'd have done the same thing at their age. Just be warned you may end up at a blackjack table with a 19 year old splitting queens. Oh and the casino does get packed late at night.

SERVICE: Before the trip I read a number of negative comments about the service so I was prepared to be disappointed. Well our experience was very different from the negative reviews as we experienced outstanding service. The housekeeping staff was great and cleaning our room minutes after we left for the day. With a couple of kids things can get messy and they did a great job cleaning things up. Check in and check out was easy. Any time I'd walk by an Atlantis employee I got a smile and a friendly greeting. The casino staff was friendly and quick with a drink. And the staff at the restaurants were top notch. Really my only complaint was we asked for a late check out but were turned down since they needed the room.

COST: Another common theme in these reviews is the cost. Well it's no joke. Atlantis is expense. The rooms are expensive. The food is expensive. The dolphins are expensive. Drinks are expensive. So be prepared to spend some money. We knew this going in so we just had fun and didn't worry about the price tag. Just be sure to bring what you need. We purposely used larger suit cases so we could bring our own beach and pool toys so we didn't have to spend $25 on a rubber ducky. I needed that $25 for a couple of drinks.

OTHER RANDOM ITEMS: The resort is huge but well laid out. There is a courtesy shuttle that is simple to use and will get you where you need to go if you don't feel like walking. The dolphin experience was worth the money as my oldest loved it. When you schedule your trip be sure to take advantage of the online tool. This is how we made our dinner and dolphin experience reservations Oh and the resort has a deal with Cartoon Network for the summer which happens to be my kids' favorite channel so they loved the parade featuring the characters from Adventure Time.

Really a great place to stay. We plan on going back in a few years when our boys are older as then it will be an entirely different experience for them which is really what makes Atlantis great. So save your money and then go have a blast.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank Rod_Houston
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 27 June 2014

The Cove exceeded my expectations, especially after reading all the negative reviews. I went in with the mindset that yes, it is expensive (think Vegas, South Beach prices). The property itself is beautiful with lush gardens, and everything is perfectly manicured and spotless. There was always a worker cleaning or polishing something. We were upgraded upon check in and able to check in early. The bathroom was large and luxurious, the bed was comfortable and all rooms have a view of the ocean

Cain Pool: this is the reason to stay at the Cove as you must be a guest of the Cove to go here. The pool is adults only, has a DJ and definitely a party atmosphere on the weekends. Go early (like 10 am) to get a good spot. The food was surprisingly good – large salads, burgers, etc. Service was great 3 out of the 4 days with Sunday being extremely understaffed for a long weekend. There are tables for gambling at the pool too.

Beach: The beach has beautiful white sand and the water is calm.

Resort: We checked out all of the Atlantis – went on the waterslides and the lazy river and walked through the aquarium. Be sure to walk around the marina area to see the yachts docked there. There is an area with shops and more restaurants as well as street performers

Service: everyone we met from the front desk associates to the housekeepers was friendly and genuinely nice, always asking if we were having a good time and if they could do anything for us

Restaurants: We made our reservations months in advance through American Express and got the best tables. Dune was our favorite restaurant. Food was amazing and the ocean views can’t be beat. Nobu was also a favorite with delicious food, an upscale atmosphere and impeccable service. Olives was good but I didn’t particularly like how it was open to the casino and I heard slots going off the whole time during dinner. I wasn’t a fan of Mesa Grill but I don’t particularly care for southwestern food and spices. Sea Glass was great for drinks and light apps after the pool or before dinner. Starbucks is a great option for a light breakfast.

Nightlife: the casino was lively every night and a lot of fun with everyone dressed up. The Moon Club was a good spot to take a break from gambling. Aura is the main club and a great place to dance. Tip: if you want to avoid the line, go in right when it opens to get your hand stamped and then come back later in the night

Room service: I do think the room service surcharge is a little ridiculous – we added 1 tuna appetizer and were charged a $5/per person charge, plus delivery, gratuity and tax. Even if you order one item, they charge $5 per person registered to that room whether they are eating or not.

We will be back here soon for sure – such an easy weekend trip from the east coast. It is amazing what a great job they do there considering it is such a large resort. Hopefully they will have some deals to keep customers from checking out the Baha Mar

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
Reviewed 26 June 2014

I didn't know what to expect. I have heard about the Atlantis Resort and was pleasantly surprised when I arrived. The Cove is a very exclusive newer building within the Atlantis Complex. All rooms and suites have ocean view. The rooms were very nice with big bathrooms, step down living room area, bed was elevated so full view of ocean which was very nice. Some rooms have club access. I enjoyed the Dolphin Experience, Sea Lion Experience, and the spa was decent.
The kids club was the BEST!! The dining options were plenty and many "famous chef" options. I personally love Bobby Flay's restaurant.

The only drawback to this destination is the drinking/gambling age is 18 so you had a lot of kids over indulged.

I will definitely go back

All in all, a great place for families

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Kimberlee' F
New England
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Here's the drill on The Cove trip. four nights - five days

HOTEL
- second visit here at The Cove -sixth overall (Royal & Coral) - it was busy so somebody has money to burn...

- transportation to/from - Sandra Fergerson - lovely people - great service - worth it.

- cove check in - minor problem - solved - welcome back...here's your packet...

- noisy room people next door for one night...then quiet...

- beach & pool - sunny -warm & friendly - but no carib. band playing at the pool this time :(

- staff - funny and friendly - no sour-pusses to be found...

- food at pool - pulled pork/burgers/beer - all good...

- The Cain Pool - I'am officially getting old and in the way ... The music drove me nuts & I don't play $500.00 per hand black jack - so I moved on to a quieter setting...

- slides - must be at slides at 9:45 am -11:00am or at 4:00 - 7:00pm - otherwise the boat people take over & they are zombies -yikes- not a pretty site to see...wow!...

- the rapids and river were doable all day...

FOOD
- carmines (I know it's crazy busy but the kids wanted it) good all around...
- seafire - good and good god expensive... you have been warned...
- nobu - "honey i shrunk the kid's" food portions - after eating - I said to my wife - now where are we having dinner tonight... good god man..put some food on the plate!..
- murray's - getting tired and needs a re-boot...only the motza ball soup is keeping it alive...
- moasic - buffet brunch - man do I wish I could take a suitcase to this place to pack the food up and take it home...great setting but who can eat that much food?
- starbucks at the reef - bagel and coffee - can't mess that up... all good.. opens at 6am...

CASINO
- wow-- very tight slots - tables filled with kids (some as young as 16) who should neither gamble nor drink! It was way over-crowded...

OVERALL
Atlants is a special place but please do not under-estimate the amount of money needed. If I had to pay retail for The Cove room (were on a comp. for casino time) I could not recommend The Cove. It's not worth $800.00 + per night. For those on a modest budget - stay at the Coral - the Royal seems like it's fading fast and not worth the extra bucks. They get so many convention people I heard that the rooms are getting trashed faster then they can fix them.

Rumor has it - services and maintenance has been cut to the bone. I noticed a few spots but nothing too bad.

Look out for Baha Mar - another rumor has it that they will not meet the Dec. 2014 opening and are now shooting for April 2015... They may have one property opened by Christmas but it's gonna be messy... Either way you never want to be a guinea pig for a hotel in the Bahamas.

If your going to Atlantis - have fun but be warned it's not total utopia - it's a destination resort for the masses...

Thinking of trying Turks for our next excursion...Anyone been to Turks?

Room Tip: Some beds are too hard...We liked the extra pull out to chill out in the afternoon...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank NewEnglandYankee506
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 24 June 2014

We went with numerous families all of whom had college sons/daughters. The best thing about the COVE is that there is something to do for people of all ages. Whether it is the Cain pool or the gambling, or the food, the spa, or the cabanas on the beach, it is a great time. I can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: You want to look out at the Cain Pool
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Mexico City, Mexico
Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

Here at the Atlantis, The Cove and the views are great. It is very beautiful. Here on a company all expenses paid vacation.

Two things I have noticed. One is that the staff working at the hotel, for the most part, well... Their attitude is poor. It's like they don't want to be here. It's very pricey and I would think that they would be really upbeat and service oriented. Not so.

The second thing is that although my trip is mostly paid for, it is a very very expensive place.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Comfort Suites Paradise Island
Comfort Suites Paradise Island
#5 of 14 in Paradise Island
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph...
#11 of 14 in Paradise Island
Atlantis, Coral Towers, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Coral Towers, Autograp...
#10 of 14 in Paradise Island
Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive

Been to The Cove Atlantis, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!