“Beautiful, relaxing, and fun for all ages.”

The Cove Atlantis, Autograph Collection
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
Orlando
“Beautiful, relaxing, and fun for all ages.”
Reviewed 11 September 2009

There is the sun, crystal clear water at the beach, powder sand, great sunsets, the best water park on earth, one of the best aquariums where you can snorkel with the fish and sharks, a big casino, a trendy nightclub, and a selection of fine dining restaurants. Beware of the information you get when you ask the staff, even from the front desk and concierge, 50% will be completely wrong. You would save more time finding out information from a printed guide or the internet.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (713)
Toronto
Reviewed 9 September 2009

Took the family to the Cove for 6 nights. Had a terrific time, kids absolutely loved it. No problems with the rooms, wife loved the large and well decorated bathroom, kids loved the big screen TVs and i loved the separate seating area. Very quiet, clean etc. Lots to do, my boys (7 and 8) just loved the waterslides, the acquarium tanks, the lagoon etc. Fortunately the younger one was over 48 inches as it would have been not as much fun if only one of them could have done the slides. The 8 year old had a blast scuba diving in the lagoon. Staff were very friendly. Ate at Mosaic for bkft every day and most dinners except two nights at Mesa Grill. The kids would usually have a snack at lunch, but not every day. The Mosaic buffets were very good quality, though the selection didn't change. Other than one appetizer at Mesa (the fried conch), I thought the food there was very good. Yes its expensive and it adds up, but it is not out of line with what most high end resorts charge. My only quibble was that we would have liked to have late afternoon/early evening a place where you could gather, have a drink listen to some music, meet people etc.

Paris, France
Reviewed 28 August 2009

Just spent 5 nights at the Cove, Atlantis with my family and we all had a tremendous time. This place truly lives up to the rave reviews of style and atmosphere described in several of the previous reviews. It's clear that no expense was spared to make this one of the premier resort locations in the caribbean - from the soaring open-air atrium lobby to the spacious suites to the restaurants on location - this is one breathtaking place. The suites are great - and we were fortunate to get a corner suite as it had windows on two walls; one facing the beach and the other facing the resort. We also had two double beds, and these rooms are a little bit larger than the ones with kings.

For relaxation, there are two nearby pools and a beautiful beach - all are exclusive to Cove guests only. Since we have teenagers, we didn't spend any time at the Cain (the adult pool) but you could hear the thump, thump, thump of the sound system all day throughout the resort - glad our room was on the opposite end of the hotel. We took a couple of walks through here to check it out and it is definitely beautifuly done - kind of a Miami Beach vibe to it. Not our kind of thing but there was certainly no shortage of people there. We spent most of our time at the Cove beach - the water was beautiful and the lounges were great. We would have spent a little more time at the family pool but unfortunately the same annoyingly inconsiderate familes were there each day taking over the whole pool with screaming kids and screaming parents - think "Housewives of New Jersey" and you'll get the picture. It's truly amazing how wealth is no guarantor of class in this world. Anyway - we loved the beach.

So by now, you know this place will cost you. For some, that's not as big of a deal as for others - but for those who at least appreciate getting the best value, I'll give my two cents on the debate on the meal plan. For us, the meal plan made no sense to begin with because we are late sleepers/light breakfast eaters. Since the meals on the plan are breakfast and dinner, this was a non-starter for us from the get-go. Plus, the plan seems to paint you into the corner of forcing you to eat breakfast every day and have dinner at the assigned places. We fell into a routine of getting a light breakfast at Starbucks in the mornings (at the Reef, right next door) and then for lunch, we found that we could eat relatively cheaply at the poolside restaurants (Cascades, for example at the Cove). Of the 5 nights were were there, we ate at Nobu, Dune (at the Ocean Club), the Mesa Grille, Mosaic, and Johnny Rockets. Dune was the most expensive (at approx $110 per person - gratuity included), followed closely by Mesa and Nobu. We enjoyed Mesa most of all - the menu was truly inventive and the preparation was wonderful. We were excited about going to Dune but it was a little bit of a let down for us and Nobu was just ok - probably wouldn't go back. Mosaic is a good alternative - you don't need a reservation - but it ain't exactly cheap either. If you don't mind getting up and filling your own plate, the food is really very good. So, for us - we ended up saving money by eating off plan - and we ate very well.

There's plenty written in the other reviews about the water park so I won't repeat any of that hear except to say they are truly fabulous. We also took one excursion - a snorkeling trip we booked with a third-party outfitter called Blue Adventures - they have kiosks all over the property. It was fun and surprisingly reasonable ($55 per person for 3 hours and two snorkeling spots). They take you take a 20 minute boat ride to a couple of reefs off a nearby island and we had a good time and saw a lot of colorful fish.

We think the extra money we spent to stay at the Cove was worth it. We like how you can spend time in the amusement areas and then return to this beautiful and secluded place - sort of like staying at the Grand Floridian while going to Disneyworld. We would definitely come back.

5 Thank ConnorL
NY, USA
Reviewed 28 August 2009

The veiw was beatutiful, the aquarium was wonderful. All that water must have led to a poor drainage problem wh en we were there. One could not helop but n otice the odor of sewage in the beautiful spacious lobby. Other guests must have noticed it to, the place was alsmost empty, the casino was virtually empty in the daytime.

• Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
Orlando
Reviewed 25 August 2009

Just got back from a 4 night stay at the Cove and I must admit I was very impressed. My previous Atlantis experience was at the Royal Tower and the Cove is a far, far superior option. Hotel architecture and layout of the pool and beach areas was wonderful. The suite layout with sunken living area was bigger than I expected and the bathroom was huge with seperate sink areas divided by the large tub. Linens and towels were very nice and twice service daily was delivered without a hitch.

Ate at Mosaic twice for breakfast and it is a wonderful (if very expensive) buffet. Our one dinner experience was also quite good but it is hard to eat enough to justify the 50 something dollar price. Had dinner one night in Mesa Grill at the bar area because we were told by hostess that is was "sold out" when we sat and watched half of the tables sit empty for over an hour after we arrived. I guess they don't turn tables there. Appetizers and desserts at Mesa were quite nice if not a bit overpriced for the portion size.

Had dinner at Nobu one night which was awesome.

Played golf at Ocean Club. Nice course. Great greens. Good layout. Not spectacular but did not expect it to be given the piece of property. Pace of play very slow and golf staff seemed afraid to push people along. Very nice pro shop. Golf staff very rude on phone when we booked tee time the evening before.

Two of our female friends had blackouts after getting served drinks at the nightclub Aura. I think the hotel has a serious problem with the service staff at the club as it is pretty clear they are putting stuff in female's drinks. Others at the hotel seemed to be aware of the problem but nothing has been done apparently.

I look forward to bringing my family back to the Cove but will warn others to stay out of Aura. I hope the hotel monitors this site and will confirm that action has been taken.

Manhattan
Reviewed 22 August 2009

I stayed mid-week for three nights. The Cove is one of several towers on the Atlantis resort. Along with The Reef, condos, The Cove is in the northwest corner of the property, about a 15 minute walk to the casino (for scale).

The room, a deluxe ocean view suite, was great. Marble bathroom, very big, separate bath, nice towels, nice amenities. The room is a large junior suite--no division between the bed and living area--you step down into the living room. I was impressed with the Bose 3-2-1 DVD player integrated with the flat screen, along with a pull out drawer of audio, video and computer connections. The view was nice, I was facing east, overlooking the resort, and there is a small patio. Room also has a sensor minibar, $15/day internet, code lock safe, and rheostats (dimmers). No noise from adjacent rooms, elevators fast, no enforcement of cover-ups in the entry way.

The Cove guests and The Reef residents have access to Cain, the swanky 18 and over pool. It's very nicely done, with many lounge options including on the grass in the shade, large square beds, in the center of the pool, and day rental cabanas. The pool is quite cold in this area compared to the other pools and ocean. There are a few casino tables, and a bar and grill. There is a DJ at all times that plays music too loud to allow anyone to listen to headphones, and distracting when reading, to my dismay.

The beach is lovely, with about a mile of walkable area. There are lounge chairs and service on the beach. A few fish will swim nearby, no mask or snorkel required. You can rent jet skis or parasail from third party vendors on the east side of the resort, about a 15 minute walk (cash only).

The water attractions are in the central part of Atlantis. There is an inner tube river and water slides. These are fun, and I like the water slides that use inner tubes as they are not so abrasive and the lines move faster. The "temples" you see in the landscape of the Atlantis house these water slides.

The Dig, the walk through aquarium, is not to be missed. It's open early and late, and having it to yourself early on the morning is pretty magical. I went every day and took many great pictures.

The casino seemed nice, although I only played machines. Mid-week, blackjack minimums were $15 at night, roulette $10. Only some blackjack tables had shuffling machines, others played six or seven deck.

The notable restaurants were Nobu and Mesa Grill, both were great. I don't like buffets and was underwhelmed by all the other food I had.

Now for the bad news that others have alluded to--it's maximum expensive. For everything that you get for the nightly rate--a heavily staffed resort--they charge for everything. Gym, $15 a day; Internet $5 for 5 minutes, or $15/day. Massage? More expensive than NYC day spa. Lunch, no less than $20, dinner, plan on $150 per person. Jetski (not resort related) $70 for 30 minutes. The drinks are surprisingly reasonable given the pattern--$7 to $8 for beers and strong cocktails for $12.

I was very happy with the service. Everyone was nice, and it's probably about as good as island service gets, with it's lapses here and there.

The Transit Lounge is a wonderful thing. Checkout time is 11:00am and they appear urgent about it. To that end, the transit lounge provides lockers and large private bathrooms that include a shower and a bathing suit fast drying machine. In this way, you can take advantage of the resort until your departure time.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled solo
5 Thank travulator
Yorkshire
Reviewed 19 August 2009

Well do I start with good or bad?
Good first.
Lovely complex, fish pools are fantastic, food is great and the water park is as good as any disney water park! The rooms are comfortable and ours had a great view. The place is truly superb, and must have cost the owners a fortune to construct.
Bad Next..
It might have cost them a fortune to build but they know how to get their money back!! Three of us went for the "buffet" dinner, had a bottle of wine (50 dollars) and two margaritas. The bill? A whopping $460!!! Nice food but not great food. The best buffet in the world? I'm not sure about that, but it could be the most expensive!!
I spent 4 nights at the Cove and the cost worked out at $2,800 for a suite which considering the room and the view was I think value for money. However after spending that much I was asked to pay a further $14 per day for Internet access!
I dont want to sound picky here or tight with my money but considering how much I spent I would have thought they could have included the Internet access for free as many other Hotels I've stayed in do.
Staff...This one is mixed, half are friendly and excellent, the other half have'nt a clue. Try not to ask them the way anywhere as most have no better idea of where anything is as I do of directing you around the back streets of Mexico City!!
Also one morning I made a terrible mistake, I picked up a slice of bread to toast but it felt stale so I put it back on the pile. I realise this is wrong (the minute I did it I knew I should have put it down near the bin) and when one of the waitresses saw me she took the slice, shouting how dirty and filthy I was and threw it in the bin. I've never been so embarrassed! I realise I was at fault and for that I duly apologised...sincerely but I dont think I deserved the barrage of abuse I got.
So would I go back? Would I reccommend it?
I'm sorry but purely for the items above....I'm afraid not.
At the end of the day it seems as though it was all about money...which I can appreciate being in business myself but they just take a bit too far.

3 Thank Graham-Jan
Comfort Suites Paradise Island
#5 of 14 in Paradise Island
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,539 reviews
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph...
#11 of 14 in Paradise Island
3.5 of 5 bubbles 3,747 reviews
Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive
Atlantis, Coral Towers, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Coral Towers, Autograp...
#10 of 14 in Paradise Island
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,544 reviews

Been to The Cove Atlantis, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!