“The Cove was amazing!”

The Cove Atlantis, Autograph Collection
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
Reviewed 6 May 2010

When arriving at the airport, my husband and I decided to take a cab ride to the hotel. The cab ride was $35, establish price prior to getting into the car. The driver was very friendly and even made a point to show us certain restaurants that would be worth our while.
When arriving at the hotel I was impressed with the beautiful outdoor lobby, ponds and waterfalls. The bell hop was very pleasant and helpful. When checking in, the front desk receptionist was very sweet and accommodating. The rooms were very modern and chic and most importantly clean. The view was spectacular and made our stay that much more enjoyable. The bathroom was marble and granite with a deep soaking tub, stall shower, double sink and separate toilet area. Very nice and clean.

The Cain pool is very impressive as well as the beaches. The Cain pool staff was helpful and very nice. I suggest you order the Mediterranean salad at the pool with a local Kalick beer. Yummm. Prices are not cheap, but comparable to NYC prices.
I noticed many people stated that the service was not good and the staff was unfriendly. What I have learned in life, and the Bahamas is no different, is be nice and people are nice back. I did notice that many people in the pool area were rude to staff and had a sense of entitlement. Remember they are servers and not servants. Maybe those are the individuals who had rude encounters with staff. As for the 15% added to the bill, I usually tip 20% so it didn’t bother me.
The pools throughout the resort our very nice, but I preferred The Cain. Everyone made it sound like The Cain was a MTV Dance Party, but when I went it was tamed. Howver, please note that music is played throughout the day at the pool.
The food is pricey in the restaurants but tasty. Loved the Mesa Grill, Nobu was yumm, Mosaic had a nice breakfast buffet, pool side food was good, enjoyed Carmines. As for breakfast I typically ateat the Starbucks located at The Reef a few steps away, cheap and good.
The slides and the rapids were fun. We also enjoyed the lazy river.
The Casino is very professional and we tried to go at least every other day.
The Dolphin Cay was fun, however, the pictures are a " rip off' so be prepared, but other than that no complaints.
Just remember to enjoy yourself and don’t sweat the small stuff :)

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Nikki0914

Reviewed 5 May 2010

I am not sure were to even begin with this review of The Cove @ Atlantis. Let me start by saying, I have never asked for a manger at hotel i have stayed at nor had experience so bad that i felt the need to write a review. I have stayed here before and had superb service which you expect when you pay $700 plus a night, things have changed for the worse. I came here with my best friend to get away and relax. I travel 200 plus days a year, been to all 7 continents, and this has been the worst experience to date and will be my last to THE COVE.

Upon arrival, no one greeted us and no one helped us with our luggage. I had to ask the front desk at check in to have some one help me with my luggage. I have never had this happen at a luxury hotel. Those of you who know luxury hotels, know that the bell boy greets you upon arrival and gives you claim check for luggage to give to front desk at check in and the bags are delivered shortly after, well not at the COVE!

It took 45 minutes and me asking three times to get two shots of patron while at lunch by the adult pool. $150 for lunch (2 Miami vices, one cheeseburger, one turkey sandwich, and appetizer, and 2 shots) and I couldn't get service. I went to the Lagoon Bar & Grill on Atlantis side and had lunch yesterday and had the best service and lunch came out to $50. Another reason to skip the COVE!

At the adult pool. in the past, the guys who give out the towels, would come set them up for you, now they just hand them to you for you to do. Also, they want an additional $100 for day bed, which i never have paid in past. I had to finally get up and go find a server, asked for three things: an ashtray, menu, and a Miami Vice. I never got the ashtray and I guess she thought I just wanted to read the menu because she never came back to see if I wanted to order anything. I had to track down another server to order food. Common sense tells you when you serve someone food you give them silverware and napkin. This took an additional 15 minutes to get after they brought me my food. I had to track down yet ANOTHER server to get my bill.

I came back to room and decided to book some spa appointments. Well after calling twice and getting no answer, I just walked down to spa to do.
Also wanted to book snorkel trip for my friend, called multiple times, transferred me I don't even know how many times, to tell me that I couldn't book over the phone I had to go do in person. I did this & Blue Adventure was a good time, but how hard was it for them to take my name down and tell me to come early to fill out paperwork on phone, instead of me walking across property to find the guys with blue shirt for him to do.

MESA @ Cove- fabulous time, great food & service!

Decided to go to the casino after a wonderful dinner at Mesa, well lets just say it was about 30 minutes before a waitress came by to ask for drink orders. Well, that was the last time I ever saw one. I stopped gambling because I couldn't get a drink. I had one drink in 2 hours of gambling.

At the bar in Cove, they came around and asked for last call. We put our order in & they brought us our drinks. Five minutes later a waitress came out to tell us she needs our glasses back and she was going to put them in to go cups and asked if we would leaving from the patio stairs or the front door. I told her, that if I couldn't finish my drink, that I wanted my money back. We both had full drinks! She then took her comment back and let us enjoy our last drink, so we thought. Shortly after, some lady comes to the patio door entrance and says they are closed and locked the doors. Keep in mind one drink is around $15. I have no problem with the cost as long as I get friendly service, but this place is horrific.

I asked for a hotel manager to speak to finally, well she could not even look me in the eyes, she said sorry and she would talk to them tomorrow. Well, nothing has changed. This is the worst service I have ever had and I have been to all 7 continents! I keep waiting for Ashton Kutcher to come out with a TV camera and tell me i have been punked. Also 15% gratuity is included on every bill & not 1% has been deserved to anyone at THE COVE.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with friends
5  Thank kingissy
Reviewed 27 April 2010

I just got back from the Cove at Atlantis and would love to go back. I might stay at the REEF, but definitely not at the main part of Atlantis unless I had a family. The adult pool was great...some time the music got to be too much. The COVE is beautiful and exudes a tranquil and peaceful vibe. It is quite expensive...food and drinks are very expensive. I don't know why, but I guess they figure if you are willing to pay the cost you have the money to spend. This is definitely a splurge and fortunately, I got a discount to stay there.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 April 2010

I don't even know where to begin. I'll start by thanking God that I'm at home now.

For starters, I am not typically a complainer. I've never asked to speak with a manager and am the type of person that just "rolls with it" when a waiter gets my order slightly wrong.

Now, on to the Cove. Our friends and travel agent warned us against how busy it would be, but my wife and I decided to go ahead because we thought it might be "fun". We went during April, which is peak season. Our rates were 4 nights get the 3rd free at a price of $750/night {BE WARNED, $750/night does not include the $25 "utility service fee" or the $12 "housekeeper tip" or the $53 hotel tax that they automatically add on}...so, more like $840/night. We did not have a meal plan. I outline this because it is an important piece of my issue with The Cove.

Upon arrival, we go to registration, confirmation number in hand showing that we had a "Resort Deluxe Suite - King Bed" reserved. The lady at registration informed us that they no longer had King Beds available, but she'd be more than happy to put us in a Queen. I'll now mention this bit of information, my wife is pregnant.....sleeping in a King sized bed is a must for us. So, after mentioning this key piece of information and asking to speak to her manager, 20 minutes later, they miraculously produced a room with a King sized bed. However, this "suite" was on the Atlantis side with the water slide noise and kids screaming....we did not complain about this as it was somewhat expected when going to Atlantis.

Later that evening, we pushed the button on the phone called "Restaurant Reservations". The lady on the phone insisted that we tried the Mosaic Buffet. We ate the buffet. It was mediocre, but I was happy...until we received the bill. In addition to the buffet, I had 1 drink...my pregnant wife drank lemonade. Bill: $174....after the mandatory 15% gratuity added in despite very little service.

Fuming, we went to bed.

The next morning we woke up thinking it was a brand new day. Again, we mulled over which restaurants we wanted to eat at, and decided to get some advice from the friendly "Restaurant Reservation" button. After a few unhelpful phone calls, my wife and I finally called back in to and told the lady that we were ready to make reservations. Her response, in a very tacky tone, was "Go ahead". Without responding, I hung up, and set up a meeting with the hotel manager, Kerry.

Kerry and the personal concierge he assigned us named Lavette were the only 2 employees in that God forsaken hotel that actually had the decency to help us. Kerry apologized for the "nonchalant" behavior and Lavette helped us make our reservations.

I can go on and on but I'll highlight at this point as my wife wants to watch Lost....

- DO NOT EAT DINNER AT MOSAIC "The most overly priced buffet in the world"
- The lady at the sundries shop....I ended up trying to cheer her up after she got off her upsetting cell phone call
- The maid service called the day of our checkout to ask when we were planning on leaving
- GENERAL RUDE BEHAVIOR BY EVERYONE (save my two saviors Kerry and Lavette and the Life Guards)

In summary, I would never suggest The Cove to anyone that I know. If it were priced at $250/night...maybe. But they hold themselves out as an exclusive resort, and it is far from exclusive. Your money is better spent elsewhere.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
6  Thank D2Dogs
Reviewed 24 April 2010

Wow. This hotel is amazing! There is so much to do, though the food gets pricy. We booked a standard room, and it was still beautiful! People who stay at the cove have access to a private beach and a private pool that no one else at the resort can get into. It is wonderful! I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 April 2010

This was our first time in the Bahamas. We arrived on the 12th and left on the 16th of April. The weather was great and always windy. However, in an 80 degree heat, wind always helps. When you go to the Bahamas go with the following - Everything there is very expensive and you will not be shocked at the prices. TripAdvisor comments were very helpful so when we paid $21 for three bars of Ben & Jerry ice cream bars plus 15% gratuity (my husband walked to the counter, opened the fridge, got ice cream and then paid) we were not at all shocked. We were prepared.
If you travelling with small kids, mine are 4 and 6, this is the best place for them. The playground by the Mayan Temple is wonderful. Please go on the Rapid River, but don't go to the waterslides (employees will not let you on it anyway, if the child is not tall enough). You will have a lot of fun. My 4 year old had a life jackets with me sitting right behind him on the double tube and off we went. It was great!
Try the restaurants, but make sure to make your reservations a month or more in advance - due to my kids age, we chose Courtyard Terrace at the Ocean Club resort - the food was excellent and the staff very attentive. They took care of the kids meals right away and then dessert. When they got a little winey, Maître Dee gave them small flash lights. It was a great experience. We also made a reservation at Carmines - great chicken parmigiana! You can order just one entree and if your little ones are not very big eaters, it will be more than enough. We had half of the whole plate left over. Don't even bother ordering salad.
If you are staying at The Cove - don't bother going out to breakfast or dinner, if you didn't make reservations, to any other restaurant. Mosaic was great. During breakfast they had all of your staples but also lox, smoked meats, fruits with yougurt, crepes, etc. The two nights when we did not have reservations we dined at Mosaic as well - great variety of meats and side dishes plus a cheese platter and all kids of desserts. Do order Fruit Punches for the kids - they were so tasty I had one as well.
Please do not get concerned, like I did, with the reviewers who state that this is a HUGE resort and it is difficult to walk it. If you are healthy, able and not in a wheel chair individuals, to walk from The Cove to the Royal Towers to the Beach is not that far. It seems more and more people are becoming just plain lazy. Wear comfortable flip flops, tell the kids to suck it up and go. Start your walk going along the buildings. You will get a chance to view the whole resort, go visit the Predators Lagoon and then walk over to the hanging bridge. There you will have a great opportunity to take a picture of the two towers behind you. This is the picture that is used by Atlantis in all of their commercials. Then you end up walking back on the beach side.
The rooms were spacious and comfortable. We did not find that the walls are thin and you can hear everyone. One downside was that if someone smoked, the smell lingered in the hallway or by the balcony area in the room. I am not a smoker and it did bother me a bit, but the smell was gone within 15 minutes.
If you are booking a car to get to and from the hotel, make sure you confirm you reservation on the way back home. They had the wrong date for us, but we resolved it quickly.
Have fun and enjoy!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
7  Thank marinasky
Reviewed 20 April 2010

I just returned from a 5 day/4 night trip to The Cove in Atlantis with my husband and 15 year old daughter. Quite simply this was the best "spring break" family vacation we have ever taken. In short, you "get what you pay for" and our experience far surpassed previous trips to to the Fairmont Southampton Princess in Bermuda and concierge level at the Hard Rock Hotel at Universal. We booked a direct Boston to Nassau flight on Jet Blue and were at the hotel for lunch on Friday. We also prearranged taxi pick up via Fergies taxi [--] for $60 with tip including a stop off at City Market and the liquor store. Sammy, our driver was just terrific and had us laughing all the way through Nassau traffic. We were welcomed warmly and checked into a Deluxe Ocean Suite on the 17th floor immediately upon arrival. The architecture and art at the Cove has a very zen feeling and we were all delighted by the breathtaking view from our balcony and enormous bathroom. (This is a huge plus when you have more than one person in the room especially if traveling with a teen. ) Moreover, our room was immaculate and serviced twice daily without special request. While live music filled the air between 2 and 4 daily, evenings were calm and quiet. I think that's remarkable given the number of families staying at the hotel. Here are some tips that I hope will make your trip as memorable as ours:

Dress Code - The Cove and Reef are decidely more upscale than other Atlantis properties. This is not Vegas and guests care about their appearance. For the pool/beach, most women/girls wore cover-ups: tunics, maxi dresses or sundresses with flip flops. Men were in T-Shirts and cargo shorts. For dinner at Mosaic, Mesa Grille and Nobu, Atlantis dress code is "resort elegant" -- no shorts, jackets optional. Most women wore dresses, skirts or nice trousers. Men wore polo shirts and trousers.

Food - For breakfast, we packed Pop Tarts for our daughter and took early walks (they open at 7) to Starbuck's for coffee and croissants. Average breakfasts were $15 and delightful sitting on our balcony looking out at Atlantis. For lunch, Cascades at the private pool for Cove/Reef guests can't be beat. Their Pulled Pork sandwich or grilled chicken caesar wrap value meals were delicious and included a drink & fries for $9.00 - $12.00. Face it, dinners will cost you $70 - $150 per person depending upon drinks. Mosaic was our favorite because of the daily buffet variety ($65 pp). The pasta bar has wonderful choices: Gnocci, ravioli, spaghetti cooked to order with scallop, shrimp, chicken or beef mix ins. Excellent sushi, mixed grill, sides and dessert bar. We ate there three nights. Mesa Grille was very good. Appetizers and signature dishes were mouth-watering: lobster & corn chowder, goat cheese fondue, duck breast/blue corn tortilla and pork tenderloin. However, the side dishes were very dissappointing - like something out of Morrison's Cafetria. Avoid the horseradish double baked potato and sweet potato gratin at all cost. At $9.00 per side they are pre-processed and tasteless.
For a real island food experience, take a $15 cab ride to Fish Fry and go to Twin Brothers. Their coconut dacquiris are yummy and the authentic Bahamian food wonderful. Try the conch fritters, grilled lobster, fried grouper, macaroni, peas & rice and mustard potato salad.

Pool/Beaches - We loved the private family pool at The Cove. The lounge chairs are padded unlike chairs at Royal or Beach Towels and you can choose between an ocean side or pool side location. Staff check wrist bands religiously so that it really is for the exclusive use of Cove & Reef guests. The Cain is geared more toward singles so while it looked cool, we opted elsewhere. My daughter and husband loved every aspect of Aquaventure. I joined them for the not so lazy river but spent the rest of my time in a beach chair with a good book.

Snorkeling at the Ruins of Atlantis - We opted for this aqua adventure instead of Dolphin Cay because we had already experienced "DolphinQuest" in in Bermuda. It was about an hour and worth the $160+ cost. Paul, our diving instructor, was wonderful and made a special effort to show our daughter live sea stars and conchs. It was like a mini marine biology lesson and she loved it! FYI, If you book the adventure in advance, be advised that you need to meet in the lobby of the Royal Towers about ten minutes before your scheduled dive time. "The Dig" is a great attraction and the moray eel exhibit will definitely give you goosepimples.

How to Save $: I bought along four nylon recyclable bags at Bath & Body Works for $2.50 each that could be consolidated into individual packets about the size of a rain bonnet. They were great grocery bags and beach bags, then ended up holding our dirty laundry at the end of the trip. Definitely stop by a market to pick up freshwater, liquor and fruit upon arrival. It will cost you under $50 and save you over $200 on property.

Also, make sure to call your credit card company before you go to check the % tacked on to international purc hases. We saved a 3% fee on our Chase card by settling our miscellaneous expenses with travellers checks.

Bahamian hospitality - It's real. People are genuinely kind and welcoming. However, they all must have the patience of saints to tolerate some of the rude and discourteous behavior we witnessed from fellow travelers. One woman in line for a table at Mesa Grille walked in and immediately demanded that the restaurant hostess adjust the restaurant temperature because it was too cold for her. Why didn't she just put on the sweater she was carrying? She treated the hostess as if she were subsurvient. I encourage everyone to visit Atlantis but to also remember that these lovely people are hosts not servants. We can't wait to return...

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank CapeCodWaverunner
Also consider these accommodations in or near Paradise Island
Atlantis, Royal Towers, Autograph Collection
The Reef Atlantis, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph...
#11 of 14 in Paradise Island
Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive
Atlantis, Coral Towers, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Coral Towers, Autograp...
#10 of 14 in Paradise Island
One & Only Ocean Club
One & Only Ocean Club
#5 of 14 in Paradise Island

Been to The Cove Atlantis, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!