“Awesomeness for 11-year olds”

Atlantis, Coral Towers, Autograph Collection
Ranked #10 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
Reviewed 7 January 2012

I went with my son-- we loved it. It was a slice of heaven for an 11-year old and fun to experience it all with him. The room was clean, had a great view, and the staff was very nice. My son would have liked to be closer to the slides, but I think we were close enough. Everything there is over-priced, but I managed to ignore that fact for the most part. It was worth it-- great memories!

• Stayed: March 2011
Write a ReviewReviews (2,654)

Reviewed 7 January 2012

Atlantis is legendary for its inflated prices. $7 cup of coffee, $25 martini's to $105 Steaks. That being said we chose this resort expecting a correlating level of customer service. The sevice here is pathetic. We have have traveled the globe and Coral Towers takes the cake as the worst customer service. They checked us into a room knowing it did not have any running water. They would not even supply bottled water to take medicine or to brush teeth. Their solution was to give us 30 minutes access to a room on the other side of the hotel that did have running water. It took two days of speaking to the front desk, the concierge, five different hotel "manages", the top magager for the coral towers (who was extremely rude), the...finally I spoke to a member of management for the entire resort so we were finally put into a room at a different hotel with running water. The beds in coral towers are very stiff and uncomfortable and the walls are paper thin. It is impossible to get a full night rest. I paid for an upgraded ocean view room. The only way to see the ocean was to go out onto the teeny tiny balcony and turn left to see a small glimpse of the ocean. Otherwise, I could only see to roof of the convention center. The water park is only open from 10am-5pm. I tried to use a restroom at 5:05 and was told the restrooms even close at 5pm. Several times the towel desk ran out of towels and you had to freeze and drip dry. The dolphin encounter area is small. Discovery Cove in Orlando has a larger dolphin area and is much more pleasant.

5  Thank s j
Reviewed 7 January 2012

Just returned from the Atlantis. We stayed in the Coral Towers, the hallways were a bit tired, but only in comparison to the remainder of the resort.

Would highly recommend purchasing a dining package as everything is expensive... $28 Caesar Salad, $4.50 soda water...

Water parks was great, aquarium was fantastic and the dolphin interaction was great!

Would go back with my kids.

Room Tip: I would recommend staying at The Cove if you could afford it, if not the Coral Towers worked well.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 January 2012

Traveled to the Atlantis Coral Towers between Christmas and New Years with wife and two children. As stated in some previous reviews the service is not what it once was and the constant added charges detract from what should be a great experience. From the time we arrived it was obvious that the front desk was in complete chaos. Although pleasant the staff had no idea when rooms would be ready and refused to consider putting the couple we were travelling with near us. We were told that we were lucky to have a room even though we had pre-payed since the hotel was oversold.

Once situated (around 5 pm) we found the room to be clean and moderate in size although some of the furniture was worn and outdated. Clearly not up to 4 star standards. We did however have a top floor with a wrap around corner balcony which was a nice surprise. AC was loud however and there was no way to mute the sound unless you turned the unit off. The things we were most distressed by however were the extra charges and constant nickel and diming that seems to be the new norm at Atlantis. It is clear that there is a pecking order at the resort and if you don't stay at the Royal Tower or Cove you will be treated as a second class citizen. How else do you explain that there is no poolside service for food or drinks at the Beach Tower pool(which we frequented often to be with our friends). When I inquired I was told that "there are staff shortages" perhaps related to the recent sale of the property. Also don't try and find water at the pool without spending $7 for a bottle. In addition, the fitness center is so far away from the Beach and Coral Towers that it makes it impossible to get to and to add insult to injury the resort charges you a daily fee to use it. I have stayed at many places nicer than Atlantis and they did not charge a fee to use the fitness center. Want a real cup of coffee, gone are the days where it was in the lobby in the morning, instead you can wait on the Starbucks line for 30 minutes and pay through the nose or walk all the way to the Royal Tower to Plato's. Breakfast is a disaster unless you want to spend $65 per couple for the horrible stuff they served at Seagrapes. We in fact got a refund since the meal was so terrible.

The outside pools are beautiful except I could find only two small hot tubs in the whole resort. The most troubling thing however is the fact that the pools are only open from 9-5 and the water park from 10-5. Couple this with the massive cruise ship crowds who buy day passes for the park and all you do is wait in line all day. Clearly Atlantis is only interested in collecting as much money as possible from the day visitors at the expense of those paying the ridiculous room rates. The hotel guests should be given some type of priority but they are not. When I asked why the pools close so early I was told "people have to go home" I guess it has nothing to do with getting people into the restaurants and casino where they can bang us out for more money rather than allow us to relax and enjoy the ocean and pools. In fact, despite being on the beach it is almost impossible to get a drink or meal facing or on the ocean. Most of the venues are inside or set way back off the beach.
Due to the mayhem and culture at the resort we ate most of our meals outside of the property. Although pricey, the quality of places such as Luciano's and the Poop Deck were excellent and we got to meet some great taxi drivers and restaurant staff. The people of the Bahamas are really nice and helpful and they are worried that places like Atlantis have lost their way. The locals are quite aware of the negative changes at the resort since they get feedback from guests that they come in contact with. I hope that the new ownership takes a hard look at what Atlantis has turned into and start valuing the customer rather than taking us for granted. It was clear to us that the intent is to make the resort more exclusive and expensive and do away with the more moderate and family oriented rooms that don't attract the clients Atlantis is looking to capture. I have traveled throught the world and have never felt so abused and underappreciated as a consumer as I did during my last visit to Atlantis.

Room Tip: The Beach and Coral Towers are overpriced for the location and their condition. Stay away from the 3...
Reviewed 3 January 2012

The Atlantis is a beautiful place with so many attractions and fabulous dining BUT the service is so poor that you just want to leave! It is quite an expensive place to stay (food, drinks and hotel) but one wouldn't mind if you were treated as a guest. We had two rooms for six days and NO WATER! The hotel was AWARE the water was not on, and still placed us in the rooms. Upon calling down, we were told it would be a half hour until the water came on. So we trusted them and went to lunch, walked around. Again before dinner, no water... and again lies about the water. The next morning with no shower and no water for brushing teeth, many phone calls and no resolution! Staff said they would get back to us and never did! FInally had to search for the MANAGER of the hotel (no one on the phone would tell us his name) He did get our rooms moved ( to rooms with water but poor view) Very disappointed at a supposedly quality hotel for such poor service! I should also note that when we moved to another room the refridgerator had glass of milk and partially drunk soda...so obviously no one cleaned. On the last day, there were no washclothes in room (they ran out!) Take your money and go somewhere else!!!

Room Tip: Cove is nice.. but I don't know about service
5  Thank basketgirl10
Reviewed 3 January 2012

Atlantis is only about the property - you are paying for shark tanks swimming beneath your window, sting rays, sea turtles, lazy rivers, etc.
I travelled with my two children between Christmas and New Years 2011. I paid for an upgraded "water view" room in the Coral Towers. After taxes etc (and even with a holiday special of 4th night free) my room rate worked out to be over $500/night. Upon entering the room, our view was quite disappointing. We were looking directly at the end of one building and a huge roof below us of another building.
To make a long story short, they were unable to move us until the next day. But the customer service at the front desk was appalling. I would describe their demeanor as "apathetic" at best.
I even received real attitude from one woman: "You are telling me you cannot see ANY water from your window ma'am??"
One male desk "manager" promised me a move to the Royal Towers the next day (after I mentioned trip advisor) but then was mysteriously missing all day when the changeover was to occur.
Overall, disappointing for what you pay.

Room Tip: Don't book dinner at Virgil's or Carmine's if you're not a big group. I found out t...
2  Thank holley p
Reviewed 2 January 2012

We stayed in the Coral Tower of the Atlantis. The Coral Tower is an older part of the Atlantis property, however the rooms have been refreshed. The Atlantis is something worth experiencing - excellent water park for the kids, slides for adults, casino, lots of pools and beautiful grounds as well as an amazing array of aquariums to view sea life.
The food is expensive, however we did the meal plan and found for our family it worked out well (2 adults, 2 kids - 3 and 5). The service was top notch right from when we arrived at the airport to check in, maid service, pool staff and restaurant staff. If you are looking for a little more upscale accommodation you could always go with the Reef or Cove, but for us the Coral Tower worked fine as it was close to many things and we spent little time in our room. I would definitely recommend this as a family vacation as there is so much to do and explore.

Room Tip: We had an ocean view room, but because of the palm trees it was somewhat restricted. I would reques...
1  Thank jdm127
Also consider these accommodations in or near Paradise Island
The Royal at Atlantis, Autograph Collection
The Reef Atlantis, Autograph Collection
Comfort Suites Paradise Island
Comfort Suites Paradise Island
#3 of 14 in Paradise Island
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph...
#11 of 14 in Paradise Island
The Cove Atlantis, Autograph Collection
Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive

Been to Atlantis, Coral Towers, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!