“Perfect property to stay in Atlantis!”

The Reef Atlantis, Autograph Collection
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
Reviewed 4 August 2011

In late June 2011 I took my family to Atlantis. We stayed in Reef Hotel. If you are looking for luxury and relaxation, this is the hotel to stay in. You have access to all the water park rides but when you want to get away from all the craziness (and believe me it was so crowded that we couldn't even find a chair to put our towels on) you get to come back to a pool and beach that you only share with Cove Hotel guests. Not only were there more than enough chairs at the pool and on the beach, they were nice chairs that had covers you could adjust so you could actually spend the day lounging & reading without getting blinded by the sun. I didn't see this type of chair anywhere else on the property. Also, there is a small staff that mills around the pool and beach area and they are wonderfully accomodating, helping you set up your chairs or providing recos for anything you might need or want.

Room: Now let me talk about the room. We had a 1 bedroom suite. SOOOO worth the money. When you walk in, there is a full kitchen (w/high end appliances), dining area, a sitting area that include a pull out couch and a small but full bathroom. The sitting area has a surround sound system with DVD player hooked up to the TV. There was a washer/dryer in the closet (but ours didn't seem to work?). Then there was a door to a separate master suite with a king bed & its own flat screen tv. The master bathroom was enormous with a separate shower & tub and double sinks. It also had a private bathroom stall and a nice vanity set up for women to do their make up. Its was all beautifully and naturally decoarated, NOT tacky island chic.

Dining: We opted do to do the Atlantis dining plan before we arrived. While the food is decent its not the best food you will ever eat. Had I known our room would have a kitchen, I may not have opted to do the dining plan. Its a lot of food and had I not been pregnant I don't think I would have gotten my money's worth. The line for the buffet at Mosaic was absolutely annoying. Every morning we had to wait over a 1/2 hour in line to be seated. Yet, when you walked into the dining room it was half full at best. They just didn't have enough people working to keep the tables filled. Had we paid to eat at the buffet each day it would have cost our family of 2 adults and 2 children $110 with tip. So fair warning, its expensive if you are not on the dining plan. For dinner we ate at Mesa Grill (would not reccomend at all), Chopstix (suprisingly good), The Bahamian Club (good, not great), Carmines (good, esp w/ kids) and Cafe Martinique (good, not great - reco no kids). The biggest complaint I would have about dining in any of the restaurants in Atlantis is the service. The service was really bad given the cost of the food & drinks. In the US, if you are going to spend $250 on a dinner, you have a certain level of service that you expect to accompany the meal. Don't expect to find it in Atlantis. We were disappointed every night! I think the fact that they automatically at 15% gratuity to your bill makes the waitstaff less "hungry" to please. In the US, we almost always leave 20% unless the service is not good. There was a space to fill in additional gratuity and I couldn't bring myself to write it in more than once......believe me, that is saying something!

Kids Club - I have 7 & 8 year old boys that attended the kids club 2 nights. One night was a detective theme and the other night was a carnival theme. I have to say, they were cared for but didn't have the BEST time like I had so many friends tell me. Even my son that is really easy to please found it just ok. Therefore, I woulndn't book to many nights ahead of time b/c you can not cancel once you have paid for the reservation. My suggestion is to book one night, try it, and decide on a day to day basis what you want to do. Every child is different so my review of the kids club may not mean anything when it comes to your child.

Beach: The water is extremely calm & clear, perfect for the novice snorkeler!! Bring your snorkel from home, even a cheapy one from the CVS or Target, b/c they are $50 and up when you get down here!! My boys loved being able to see all of the beautiful fish in the water just off the beach. I also reccomend that your kids bring their favorite bucket & shovels from home as their carry on b/c the items you can buy in the sundries shop are wickedly overpriced. And if you are feeling generous when you leave, you can always give them to another child on the beach who will be grateful to have them!!

Problems: We did have one small annoying problem while we were there. Everyday the power would go out at some point and it would stay out for varying amounts of time. The worst was when we lost it for a half hour one night while I was trying to get ready to go out to dinner. I barely got to dry my hair before we had to run to our dinner reservation. And the staff was very "whatever" about the whole situation. So fair warning!!

Final Comments: Everything you read about Atlantis being crazy expensive is true! Even with the meal plan, we had to pay for the gratuities and beverages on the back end. And lunch is not inlcuded in the meal plan so any mid day snack went on there too. The child care is $60 per child per night....no sibling discount....so that is $120 per night before you even step out. However, I know that the cost of everything goes into maintaing the property which is clean, lush and just downright beautiful. It was a wonderful experience overall and I would reccomend this as a once in a lifetime vacation!

Room Tip: Really think about the dining plan before signing up, bring sand toys from home, bring snorkels from...
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank Forever_Pink9

Reviewed 1 August 2011

My family of four (boys ages 11 and 6) primarily chose the Reef hotel for the same reason others have chosen not to stay at the hotel: it is not in the middle of all of the Atlantis hubbub. Having said that, it was a 5 minute walk to all of the water activities. The hotel has upscale furnishings in the lobby and rooms. From start to finish, the service was impeccable. The hotel personnel were always concerned about making our stay comfortable and enjoyable. The pool at the Reef can only be used by guests of the Reef and guests of the Cove hotel, which is next door. Reef and Cove guests have access to all pools and waterpark activities at Atlantis. Our room was an Marina View 1 bedroom with a pullout sofa in the living room, 2 separate bathrooms, full kitchen with granite counter tops, subzero refrigerator and stainless steel appliances. We plan to go back

Reviewed 31 July 2011

My husband and I along with our 26 yr. old daughters stayed at the Reef for 6 nights. We had a 2-bedroom ocean suite and were able to cook and snack. Coffee, paper towels, dishwasher detergent, and dishwashing liquid were provided. Glad that we packed laundry detergent; it was great to have a washer/dryer in the room. Everything is pricey at the Atlantis, but we had known that ahead of time. Take lots of sunscreen; it costs $28 at the resort. Mostly we ate breakfast in our room and snacked until dinner; each night we went out for dinner. Packed lots of food to take with us - popcorn, snacks, granola bars, crackers, candy, etc. We used Fergies Taxi Service (great experience) and stopped at the grocery store for cheese, fruit, milk, water, pop, etc. and also a stop at the liquor store. The Starbucks in the Reef lobby has very nice items, and the prices are good. Our favorite restaurants were Nobu and the Dune. We had fantastic service and all staff were friendly and helpful. We were also polite and friendly to staff. Took a folding cooler which was helpful coming from the grocery store and taking beverages to the beach each day. Ate lunch at the beach one day - 4 burgers, 2 fries, and 4 pops for $25. A good deal at the Atlantis. We all enjoyed a relaxing time at the Atlantis and would not change a thing.

1  Thank Dee809
Reviewed 30 July 2011

The hotel was't geared up for the vast number of guests who took breakfast. Unless you are happy to eat at the crack of dawn, be prepared for a long wait.-up to 45 mins. Breakfast was supposed to finish at 11am [at the Mosaic] but queues invariably lasted until 11.45 resulting in a mad dash for the buffet as they whisked it away in order to put out the lunch buffet [served from 12.15] Another irksome point is that you have to check your room bill if your breakfast is complimentary as it is automatically added. It is up to you to point out the errors. No doubt there are people with more money than sense who stay at the Atlantis [given the exorbitant prices] and so the cynic in me thinks this happens on purpose.
Hide absolutely everything away-my engagement ring and a camera were stolen from the room. You can be lulled into a false sence of security as all the staff are trained to be 'nice'at all costs. They say they take these things very seriously but I am still awaiting their report 2 weeks on.
If you have money to burn come here as everything is tip-top. Too expensive for riff-raff but the returning Americans I met said that the hotel service standards had gone down and they were disgusted at the queues and 'full' restaurants when they tried to book. The general view was that they wouldn't be returning.
Book a suite or a room with a kitchenette at the Reef as this at least gives you some food options and\or go off the island to eat.
Don't expect to find any quiet place to relax by any pool- much 'musac'- try the beach instead.
We went to attend a family.' sunset wedding ' which was truly magical given the paradise ambiance of the beach.

Room Tip: at the Reef ask for a room ending in 02 and he were in 16902 - these are on the end and have a 270...
2  Thank percy20
Reviewed 29 July 2011

Stayed in a one bedroom suite with two kids. The rooms are nice but thats about it. Queue for check inn , queue for breakfast , lunch , dinner , drinks , towels , busses - the place does not have facilities to cater for the number of overnight and annoyingly those paying for a day pass. The housekeeping is poor with no turn down - at $800 a night you might expect this , also we had to request for our sheets to be changed. This place is great on paper but you can get much better value elsewhere

2  Thank galliard128
Reviewed 28 July 2011

We visited The Reef for my birthday weekend. The rooms were very nice, we had a view to the harbor which was relaxing to sit outside at the end of our day.Food was very good, we ate both days at Mosaic, they had a nice variety of food. Of course as everyone mentions very expensive, we spend for 2 children and 2 adults on our first night $200.00, for breakfast $100.00.(just to give you an idea on what to expect).The place itself is beautiful, what I liked it is that you do not feel crowded. The lazy river was "great" we did this a couple of times, the slides were great for the kids and my husband too. The beach was beautiful, but I was disappointed that the water was freezing,so I was not able to go in. On our last day is was Easter Sunday, and they had an easter egg hunt for the children at the beach, that was really nice.

I called my review "one time experience" eventhough we had a very nice weekend, It is not a place that I feel that I would visit again. There is so many other wonderful vacation spots that you can go to. Every family should go at least once, just to say we have been there, but one time is enough for me.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank marfepe
Reviewed 27 July 2011

I am usually lazy and don't write reviews, but I was on Trip Advisor reading reviews of Atlantis - and in particular The Reef - for DAYS before we booked our trip and our experience was 100% POSITIVE so I felt the need to let those of you reading this that your own experience can be fabulous at this resort! So many reviews talked about how cold and awful the staff was...I have to say we had the EXACT opposite experience! I have stayed at luxury resorts all over the world and never have we experienced such kind, warm, friendly staff as we did at Atlantis and The Reef. Seriously - everyone in our group commented on it. Big friendly 'hellos" and SO helpful...by day two half a dozen of the staff members knew our name and we never even needed help with anything!! The resort itself is SPOTLESS and PRISTINE! We were lucky over Memorial Day weekend and there was not much of a crowd there. Our room at The Reef was spectacular, and the maid service was also top notch. We had a young child with us and every day we came back from the beach their stuffed animals were arranged in progressively adorable positions on the beds...hiding, hugging pillows, etc. Even at Disney resorts we did not experience this level of kindness and effort. We are going to go back before the summer is even over, and we usually only take one trip like this a summer...so you KNOW it has to be good! Tip for everyone out there - no matter how it seems, WE are the creators of our experience. Look for things to appreciate while you are there and you will find them. Look for the things people have complained about on here, and you will find those as well. :) THANK YOU ATLANTIS!!!

Room Tip: do searches for radio/concert specials for the dates you want to travel. They usually have really go...
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
Comfort Suites Paradise Island
#6 of 14 in Paradise Island
The Cove Atlantis, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph...
#11 of 14 in Paradise Island
Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive
Atlantis, Coral Towers, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Coral Towers, Autograp...
#10 of 14 in Paradise Island

Been to The Reef Atlantis, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!