“Great rooms and staff! ”

The Reef Atlantis, Autograph Collection
Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
Pittsburgh, PA
“Great rooms and staff! ”
Reviewed 21 October 2013 via mobile

This was my third time staying at the atlantis but the first time staying at the reef and let me say that this hotel is just as nice as the cove but a little more private. While the walk to the rest of the hotel was a little longer I just figured I was working off my vacation pounds. The staff were accommodating and more than willing to help. They were great at getting reservations for a boat charter and dinner as well. The reef wasn't too busy even though there were crowds for the michael buble concert. Perfect vacation!!!!

Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank NStrnisha

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (425)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 21 October 2013

Let me start off by saying that I do work in a hotel. That being said, I am only really writing this review because I can't believe people write bad ones. You would really have to be miserable or really unlucky to have a bad time here, in a paradise like this. My husband and I just got home from a ten day trip and I would recommend this place to anyone. I have been to Atlantis before, a few years ago, and stayed at the Comfort Suites next door. You do have to expect that Atlantis is expensive (I agree with almost everything the reviewer below me wrote). The incidentals are high, but you can use your room key everywhere. The benefit to staying at the reef was definitely the kitchen - we just had a studio room but were able to eat about 2 meals a day in the room. Also, the beach and pool felt very private and there was less noise and children running around. We even joked that we barely ever shared an elevator ride.

This was the first time we used a food delivery service (foodstore2go) and they were great. On time, perfect order. I guess if i had to give any kind of negative I would say that we ordered too much food for our little fridge! I think the 1 and 2 bedroom suites have larger fridges, so you would have no problem there. The room itself though was gorgeous, beautiful view, comfy bed, and huge bathroom. Really, the pictures don't lie about this place. The staff was always friendly all around the resort. Specifically we remember Christopher M. who was very friendly at the front desk. Also, we are big fans of Marsha who works in the activities/tours counter in the Coral Towers. If i could mention all the shuttle drivers I would as well - they are great and the service was always prompt. Eventually, you will get tired of walking since the place is HUGE!

We didn't try all the restaurants, because again they can get pretty pricey, but if you are looking for a splurge one day or night I would recommend Dune (its in the golf course/ocean club resort and not right at the main Atlantis) but take a shuttle and you can enjoy oceanfront romantic dining. It was worth it for sure! Some of the other fancy places don't really offer the ambiance you would expect at Atlantis so at least you can get the most for your money here.

There was a bit of construction going on around the resort that I probably only recognized more from being there before. Honestly, there is so much to look at that it really doesn't take away from anything. That's nice that they seem to be constantly updating too.

I can't really say too much else about our trip..we really relaxed most of the time! Enjoyed the pools & waterpark almost each day. Cruise ships really do come in and out every day so we found out that if you are a guest at Atlantis maybe hold out until 4 when the cruise ship crowd leaves. We basically had the current river ride to ourselves the one day we stayed later. Things do sort of close early, but the movie theater is nice and offers three free movies a night. You can also go to the casino which we had no luck at or just walk around the dig and the grounds. It is very quiet and peaceful at night. Oh, and we were there in mid-October and the weather was beautiful almost the entire time. Like 80's and always sunny. It makes leaving and coming back that much harder :(

Now that my husband has experienced Atlantis with me, I don't think i'll be back anytime soon (just because of the price)..but it is someplace I would recommend to everyone at least once. Just try and budget wisely and you will be glad you did!

Room Tip: High floors are obviously nicer :) But i doubt there is a bad room in the place
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank JemmaJoben
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 21 October 2013

The Reef was a beautiful property, and I would definitely stay here again. The lobby is very stylish, and everything is very clean. My husband and I had no wait to check in, and the man who helped us was very friendly. We had chosen a studio with an ocean view, and he asked us if we'd like a high floor. We ended up on the 15th floor, and the view was stunning. It was so beautiful that, although we'd envisioned sleeping in a lot, we got up early most days just to watch the sun rise from the balcony. Paying for the ocean view was more than worth the extra cost. The room was also very quiet.

The room itself was very clean and comfortable. Some of the furniture, like the couch, seemed a little dated, but it was still a very nice room. The bed was a little firm for my taste, but I still slept very well (and I usually have a hard time sleeping in hotels, so I was pleasantly surprised). The kitchenette was very handy, and although we didn't really cook we ordered from foodstore2go.com and used the fridge. The safe was large enough to fit all of our valuables including ipads, phones, passports, jewelry, etc. We didn't have an ironing board or bathrobes, but when we asked they were brought up almost immediately.

The bathroom was very nice- double sinks with plenty of counter space and lots of room to store toiletries in the cabinets. The soaking tub was very nice and the separate shower was large, though there wasn't really a lot of space to put shampoo and other shower items. I didn't particularly care for the sliding glass window between the bathroom and the other room- it didn't close all the way and it was just a little weird. I was excited to see that there was a small TV in the bathroom, figuring it would be nice to take a bath and watch or watch while getting ready. However- and this is really the only reason I gave this hotel 4 stars instead of 5- it wasn't working. We wouldn't have minded if they'd taken care of it, but it took the entire week for us to manage to get it fixed. We called and went to the front desk about it at least 6-7 times. At one point someone did come up but said he couldn't fix it and would have someone sent up the next day. That never happened, and after asking again and again, the TV was finally fixed the night before we left. It shouldn't have taken that long and we shouldn't have had to expend so much effort on our parts, nor were we offered any kind of compensation for the issue. In the end it wasn't a big deal, but we got sick of asking and it annoyed us just enough to make our experience less than ideal.

The room was cleaned well every day- I'm pretty particular about cleaning and the maid was very thorough. The room also had a button you could press that would illuminate outside the door to indicate either "do not disturb" or "clean room". This was very convenient and we always came back to a clean room. There were generally plenty of towels and washcloths, and although I didn't expect them to take care of it, our dishes were cleaned as well.

As for the rest of our stay:

Food: It was very convenient to have a Starbucks in the lobby. Don't order room service. We got there late the first night and didn't feel like going out to find something, but the room service cost us over $60 for two burgers and fries, and this didn't even include drinks. The burger was okay, but the fries were soggy. Other food around the resort was hit or miss: we loved the Bahamian Club, Mosaic, and Marina Pizzeria. We didn't enjoy Bimini Road or the Marketplace.

Service: I read so many reviews before we left about poor service at Atlantis, but found the opposite. Nearly everyone we encountered was friendly and polite, and always asking how they could help or whether we needed anything. This was true both on and off the resort. I don't think I've ever encountered such exceptional customer service, not even at Disney. One of the few exceptions to this was when we were trying to find out where to go to catch the Blue Lagoon ferry. The concierge (this was actually not at the Reef, but at Coral Towers) started to tell us, but when she realized we were doing Blue Lagoon and not the Atlantis dolphin experience, she clammed up and rudely pointed us to the tourism desk. Otherwise, though, most everyone was very pleasant and went above and beyond, from the shuttle drivers who would converse with us and ask us how our trip was going, to the bell men who were always opening doors, to random employees who smiled and said hello just passing by.

Activities: Wrote some separate reviews, but loved Blue Lagoon. Spa was pretty bad. We stayed mostly on the property, which is beautiful. Everything looks exactly as you expect it to look from the pictures online. The Cove area is especially stunning. The aquariums were fun to look around in, and we loved being able to look down and see fish, stingrays, and sharks just swimming around without having to look through glass. I wasn't impressed with the shops, there wasn't that much that I was interested in. Marina Village was a nice little area, it was very picturesque with all the yachts around. We had fun at the waterpark, and there were a lot of pools to choose from. All very clean. I especially enjoyed the pool that is exclusive to guests at the Reef or Cove, as well as Paradise Beach. Neither was ever crowded and it was nice to be able to get away from the waterpark and main beach- much more relaxing. The water at the beach was so pretty, with gentle waves and the sand was soft. We were glad we paid a little more to stay on that side of the resort. It was always very quiet and peaceful.

Transportation- To and from the airport, we used the Dan Knowles shuttle we bought with our package. They were easy to find when we arrived, and we had a van to ourselves on the way there. The driver was very personable and showed us points of interest along the way, as well as made recommendations for activities for us. On the way back, we had a bus which stopped at a couple of the other towers and it filled up fast. There was a family with tons of bags- so many that they wouldn't fit on the bus- and the driver had to call for a truck to come and get them. We ended up sitting there on the bus for about 20-30 minutes because they refused to leave their bags and insisted on making everyone else wait so they could see them loaded onto the truck. Despite the driver's best efforts to reassure them that they did this all the time, and promises that their bags would arrive at the airport shortly, they still insisted. This was annoying and we were pretty worried we'd miss our flight. If the airport had been more crowded, we probably would have. This wasn't really Dan Knowles' fault, although perhaps it would be better for them to find out how many bags you have when you confirm your reservation to ensure they had enough room. Just be advised that if there is a group who thinks they should be able to take up the entire bus themselves, you could end up waiting. For this reason only, I'd probably take a taxi next time, even though I found the drivers to be professional and efficient. As for the shuttles between the different areas of the resort- they are convenient, but be prepared to wait. They didn't seem to run on any particular schedule, and we eventually learned that every time the bell man told us it would arrive in 5 minutes, that really meant "it will be here when it gets here". That could be 5 minutes or 20 (more often 15-20). Oftentimes we could have walked where we were going much faster if we weren't so tired.

Value: If you're looking for a value, I don't think Atlantis is the right place to go, and certainly not the Reef or Cove. Yes, everything is outrageously expensive- especially the food. But I don't know why anyone is particularly surprised when they get there- if you read any of the reviews, you know what to expect. It all adds up extremely quickly- we ended up spending about $1000 on food and the spa for less than a week. We could have utilized the kitchen more and saved a couple hundred, but I hate cooking on vacation. But since we knew what to expect, we just tried not to think about it and enjoy our time there. If we couldn't afford it, we wouldn't have gone, so no use complaining.

Overall, my husband and I had a wonderful trip, and if we ever end up going to the Bahamas again, we'd definitely stay at the Reef. Normally, by the end of a vacation I'm ready to go home, but not this time. Neither one of us wanted to leave!

Room Tip: Definitely spring for the ocean view, and ask for a high floor. It really is worth it.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Lizzie1712
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Reviewed 20 October 2013

The resort and this specific hotel are simply amazing. The beach is breathtaking and there is a huge pool right in front of it surrounded by manicured gardens. Room is well oversized compared with a standard hotel room and bathroom is very nice with a separate rain water shower and tub. The room has a balcony which is perfect for lounging.

We must have been there during a low occupancy time in October because it felt like we had the whole resort to ourselves. This was in contrast to the other side of the resort (Royal) that was much more lively.

Incidentals cost us around 300/day for a family of 3 including a two year old who does not each much and who ate dinner for free. This included internet at 20/day. I went into it knowing that food would be costly and trying to ignore it but it still stung bad for the first couple days. After that I got used it it and it didn't hurt anymore. Unless you're going to carefully manage expenses (cook for yourself, order groceries, etc as others have done), there's really no way around this.

Only other logistical issue is that this hotel is at the far end of the property so you will need to do a lot of walking back and forth to get to the action (waterpark, stores, and most of the restaurants). This can use up some time if for example you'd like to spend your day at the Reef beach which is amazing but take your meals on the other side of the resort where there are more casual / less expensive options. The flip side of this is that the Reef side of the resort is quieter, calmer and feels much more luxurious.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 15 October 2013

This place was awesome but thanks to Laura Kelly it got even better. She's been outstanding providing the information, directions and suggestions. She surely made us feel welcome every time we encountered her. We'll definitely come back.

• Stayed October 2013
3 Thank ladycrystal
Los Angeles
Reviewed 15 October 2013 via mobile

I should start by disclosing that I detest Las Vegas. A fried was getting married in the Bahamas, and when we looked at the Atlantis website, we thought that the Reef would be the lesser of many evils. I was very pleasantly surprised.

The staff was incredibly friendly and helpful. The room had plenty of space for me, my husband, and our 3-year-old son, and the kitchen made life really easy. The bathroom was well appointed.

The location was also very good - there's a pool for reef and cove guests only that is very calm. It feels more like a mid size resort in Hawaii than a mega resort. The beach right next to the reef is similarly nice. So if you want leave and quiet you can get it. But it's also only a short walk to the complete and utter chaos and crowds that is the waterpark and some of the other towers. It was great to be able to take our son to the waterpark but but be able to leave the Vegas-y parts of the complex behind - especially the cigarette smoke that seemed to permeate many indoor areas of the resort, and even the waterpark (ewww). The only downside to the location is that it's quite the schlep to get from the reef - completely on one end of the property- to the aquarium in the middle let alone the turtle feeding at the beach tower. The shuttle service is spotty, at best, so be prepared to walk.

The kids activities are also great. Our kid loved the slides, all of the animals, and the beach. It was really a pleasure to have our three-year-old there. As much as it surprises me to say it, we may be back, although I expect that without the wedding rate the sticker shock will be more than it was this time around (expect to pay $100 more a night than the room rate for taxes etc) plus any in incidentals.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank valifornia
Toronto
Reviewed 14 October 2013

I don't often write reviews after a vacation but thought I should since I use Trip Advisor for helping me choose my vacation. I have stayed at Atlantis 5 times. This is our first time at the Reef. Had a fantastic vacation. The hotel is great for families. It has a toaster, kettle, and fridge. Great for keeping milk for the kids and toasting bagels for them in the mornings. The staff were great. I loved having access to the quieter beach and swimming pool as the other side of Atlantis does get a little too busy for me. We have booked another trip to Atlantis for next year, this time we will be staying at the Cove. No reason, other than we just wanted to try it. We were totally happy with the Reef though.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Comfort Suites Paradise Island
#6 of 14 in Paradise Island
The Cove Atlantis, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph...
#11 of 14 in Paradise Island
Atlantis, Coral Towers, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Coral Towers, Autograp...
#10 of 14 in Paradise Island
Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive

Been to The Reef Atlantis, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!