“Bahama surprise”

Sunrise Resort & Marina
Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Freeport
Reviewed 27 April 2011

I was meeting friends docked in the marina and decided to experience the Sunrise Resort myself as a guest. I was well attended on line with reservations and questions as well as at the resort by friendly and accomodating staff including manager Ms. Ta'shar C, Ms. Sauders at the front desk, Ms. Bowe room stewart and grounds security Charles. The rooms are spacious & clean, frige & safe a plus. The resort was quite (what I was looking for) and the pool was very inviting. I would recommend that you have a rental car to get around the island although the resort has a shuttle, it does not go all day & night. Don't miss out on the tranquil days/nights at the Sunrise resort. Will recommend to all that ask & don't ask.
A travel agent from CT.

Room Tip: all rooms are good.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank playafina
There are newer reviews for Sunrise Resort & Marina

Reviewed 23 March 2011

I just stayed at Sunrise Resort & Marina. It is a very pretty facility that has recently been repainted and updated. Be sure to remember that the resort's prior name was "Running Mon" as most people do not yet know the name "Sunrise" and only "Running Mon" shows on many maps.

It is a bit confusing to find initially if you are driving, but once you find the correct road there are signs that point the way to Sunrise Resort & Marina at the turning points. After that, it is easy. It is a bit out of town in a suburb, so you will need a car.

The staff are very friendly and helpful. It is unfortunate that right now the restaurant is not open as the place is very self contained. The hotel will furnish bicycles, kayaks, paddleboat, and I think jet skis to hotel occupants. There are fishing poles available as well. There are many gorgeous sailboats and yachts parked there for short and long durations. The water in the canal is very clean and calm. There is a nice common area by the pool that has music, pingpong, pool table, and exercise equipment. Unfortunately the bar is not open either. Perhaps as business increases it will be used again.

There is a small shopping area about 10 blocks away that I walked to several times. There is a conch stand that fixes conch salad (ceviche style), steamed conch that they call "grilled", and fried conch, fish, and shrimp. You can take your meal into the bar next door and order a beverage while watching tv or listening to the music. There was a hamburger type grill beside the bar, but I never found it open. There is also a small grocery store, laundry and a few other businesses in the complex.

Internet via WiFi was pretty good except for one night when it was out totally. There is NO business center and it would have been $2 per page to print out my boarding pass.

There was a small coffee pot and refrigerator in my room as well as an iron and ironing board. There are laundry facilities on each floor.

So, I definitely will try to stay at Sunrise again and recommend it as a very nice and economical place for people who want to avoid the noise of places brimming with tourists. Security is very good as the gates are locked in the evening and a guard will let occupants in and out. During the day the gates are usually locked and people enter and exit via doors throught the office.

In short...good value, lovely place, and nice people at Sunrise Resort & Marina.

Ken

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank KGCPA
Reviewed 14 March 2011

I stayed 3 nights on my boat in the Marina and so cannot comment on the rooms, but all the staff were very friendly and went out of their way to make sure that you were getting what you needed and that you knew of all the available amenities. In the Bahamas, one gets used to not everything being just how you might wish it to be, but friendliness like this is something that other bahamas businesses should take note of. General Manager Ta'Shar and head dockhand Thompson were particularly friendly and helpful. I will definitely stay there again and look forward to it.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 February 2011

We found out about this hidden gem through a cruising friend. We were looking for a quiet comfortable place to use as a home base to explore Freeport and Grand Bahama Island, this resort fulfilled all of our expectations. The rooms wewre roomy yet comfortable and exceptionally clean the staff were helpful and always courteous. we will definately visit sunrise again as we have much more left to see and do, Thank you Sunrise,Ta'Shar. Cuccurullo and staff, too many to name but Thompson and Alisa stand out.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank murkehaze
Reviewed 14 February 2011

Initially I booked for 2 nights. I ended up staying for almost 3 weeks!
What a quiet and friendly place.
All the staff are fantastic. They really go out of their way to make sure you have everything you need.
On my 3rd day I was asked if I needed anything in my room. I said I was eating my cereal out of the coffee pot with a teaspoon. I was promptly moved to another room with a small kitchen sink. Staff were helping me move my things, while others brought cutlery, dishes and a microwave. At this stage I had only booked for 2 more nights!
I really can't say enough about all the staff and the manager.
Thanks guys.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank lavista2016
Reviewed 6 February 2011

The environment is peaceful, the room decor is enlightening, staff is caring and greets you with a smile. They show that they genuinely care. Excellent Service

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank segmadmin
Reviewed 3 February 2011

The combination of Sunrise Resort & Marina's tranquility, natural beauty, location (to their private beach, snorkeling & fishing sites), and, especially, the staff - Ta'Shar, Elvis, Robby, Ms. Knowles . . . etc - is so unique & appealing that in addition to bringing my own family & friends there, I now bring my clients as well.
I have been somewhat hesitant in broadcasting the numerous advantages of staying at SRM for fear that everyone else would then want 'a piece of paradise'. But I can no longer resist especially since I know that Grand Bahama Sunrise Charters LTD is now located & operates from Sunrise Resort & Marina.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business