My wife and I first visited Sunrise Resort & Marina in 2007 and stayed for seven days. We thoroughly enjoyed the time we spent there, fell in love with the property, and made many new friends with the staff. We came back a several more times when we just wanted to get away from the states and relax. We didn't want to stay in Port Lucaya with the entire tourist scene and the craziness. I’m a member of many hotel programs and have a allot of points and could have stayed at one of the name brand places for next to nothing but always decided to stay at Sunrise because it felt like our home away from home. The grounds are well maintained, the rooms are very clean, air conditioning works well, 24/7 security, and the staff is well trained and friendly. Most importantly, Ta’Shar and her staff really care about you and will do whatever it takes to make your visit the very best. They showed me the best places to gather conk, fish, and find lobster. They even taught me how to make conch salad!
In November 2010 we sailed our 35' sailing catamaran from the Chesapeake Bay to Sunrise. After five days we cleared the channel into the resort on a Sunday and docked at slip 19 at the marina. The staff contacted Bahamian Customs and Immigration and we were cleared within the hour (on a Sunday!). Ta’Shar gave us a great deal on a six month slip lease which was a far better deal than anything we could have gotten in Florida just 58 miles away. Sunrise has floating docks, recently upgraded power pedestals (30 & 50 Amp), freshwater, Wi-Fi, and cable TV hookup. Another convenience is Knowles Boat Yard next door to Sunrise. They are a very friendly full service boat yard and have gas and diesel available. The only other place you will find fuel on the island is in Port Lucaya.
We kept our boat at Sunrise through mid April and visited five times during the six months. I never worried about the boat when we were gone because there is 24/7 security and I was able to make arrangements through Thompson a member of the staff to keep an eye on the boat, start the engines once a week, perform minor maintenance, and wash the boat prior to our return. Thompson is also a great fishing guide and your driver. While the boat was in the Bahamas I decided to take advantage of the time when I was in the states to have some engine work done. Ta’Shar was very accommodating in letting the mechanics perform work on the property and controlling access to the boat.
Things worked out so well we plan on using Sunrise as our base of operations for exploring the rest of the Bahamas this coming winter.
If you want a good deal on a great room or slip, great facilities for you or your boat, staff that makes you feel like family, and a nice tranquil get away from the craziness of the world then go no further than Sunrise Resort & Marina.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Enjoy your Bahamas vacation in one of our 31 Caribbean-style furnished, fully equipped rooms or our Admiral Suite! Relax at our fresh-water pool and THE CORAL REEF Sports Bar and Cafe! All guests can enjoy complimentary use of the resorts Bicycles, snorkel gear, Kayaks, & Fishing gear as well as free Wi-Fi (wireless internet connection), ping-pong and billiards. Enjoy your Bahamas island experience by booking a dive or fishing trip, play golf or visit the nearby Casino, located only 10 minutes away. Freeport, Grand Bahama is a great place to start your trip! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Sunrise Resort & Marina reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sunrise Resort & Marina Hotel Freeport
- Sunrise Resort And Marina
- Sunrise Resort & Marina Bahamas/Freeport, Grand Bahama Island