“Friendliest Place in the Bahamas”

Sunrise Resort & Marina
Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Freeport
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Friendliest Place in the Bahamas”
Reviewed 31 May 2011

My wife and I first visited Sunrise Resort & Marina in 2007 and stayed for seven days. We thoroughly enjoyed the time we spent there, fell in love with the property, and made many new friends with the staff. We came back a several more times when we just wanted to get away from the states and relax. We didn't want to stay in Port Lucaya with the entire tourist scene and the craziness. I’m a member of many hotel programs and have a allot of points and could have stayed at one of the name brand places for next to nothing but always decided to stay at Sunrise because it felt like our home away from home. The grounds are well maintained, the rooms are very clean, air conditioning works well, 24/7 security, and the staff is well trained and friendly. Most importantly, Ta’Shar and her staff really care about you and will do whatever it takes to make your visit the very best. They showed me the best places to gather conk, fish, and find lobster. They even taught me how to make conch salad!

In November 2010 we sailed our 35' sailing catamaran from the Chesapeake Bay to Sunrise. After five days we cleared the channel into the resort on a Sunday and docked at slip 19 at the marina. The staff contacted Bahamian Customs and Immigration and we were cleared within the hour (on a Sunday!). Ta’Shar gave us a great deal on a six month slip lease which was a far better deal than anything we could have gotten in Florida just 58 miles away. Sunrise has floating docks, recently upgraded power pedestals (30 & 50 Amp), freshwater, Wi-Fi, and cable TV hookup. Another convenience is Knowles Boat Yard next door to Sunrise. They are a very friendly full service boat yard and have gas and diesel available. The only other place you will find fuel on the island is in Port Lucaya.

We kept our boat at Sunrise through mid April and visited five times during the six months. I never worried about the boat when we were gone because there is 24/7 security and I was able to make arrangements through Thompson a member of the staff to keep an eye on the boat, start the engines once a week, perform minor maintenance, and wash the boat prior to our return. Thompson is also a great fishing guide and your driver. While the boat was in the Bahamas I decided to take advantage of the time when I was in the states to have some engine work done. Ta’Shar was very accommodating in letting the mechanics perform work on the property and controlling access to the boat.
Things worked out so well we plan on using Sunrise as our base of operations for exploring the rest of the Bahamas this coming winter.

If you want a good deal on a great room or slip, great facilities for you or your boat, staff that makes you feel like family, and a nice tranquil get away from the craziness of the world then go no further than Sunrise Resort & Marina.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ConkyJim

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Nassau, New Providence Island
Reviewed 6 May 2011

The pictures are accurate. Exactly what their website and the pics on here show you is exactly how it is.

-Excellent value for your money. Rooms are very very clean, spacious and comfortable. Ask for extra pillows...you'll need it.

- The security guy is always there at night and he's very nice.

-Safe in all rooms very secure.

- Very very quiet, nice property. It's a bit far from everything so if you don't have a care rented you're kind of stuck out there.

-The resturant was closed I guess because of not enough guests but it's nothing to do with the quality of the hotel, more or less location maybe. And there's only a small fridge in certain rooms, no microwave which I didn't understand at all. I think only the suite has a kitchenette.

If you're coming to get away, holed up in a secluded place, this is definitely the place.

It can be quite romantic with the marina and the canal and all.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Guilford, Connecticut
Reviewed 27 April 2011

I was meeting friends docked in the marina and decided to experience the Sunrise Resort myself as a guest. I was well attended on line with reservations and questions as well as at the resort by friendly and accomodating staff including manager Ms. Ta'shar C, Ms. Sauders at the front desk, Ms. Bowe room stewart and grounds security Charles. The rooms are spacious & clean, frige & safe a plus. The resort was quite (what I was looking for) and the pool was very inviting. I would recommend that you have a rental car to get around the island although the resort has a shuttle, it does not go all day & night. Don't miss out on the tranquil days/nights at the Sunrise resort. Will recommend to all that ask & don't ask.
A travel agent from CT.

Room Tip: all rooms are good.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank playafina
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 23 March 2011

I just stayed at Sunrise Resort & Marina. It is a very pretty facility that has recently been repainted and updated. Be sure to remember that the resort's prior name was "Running Mon" as most people do not yet know the name "Sunrise" and only "Running Mon" shows on many maps.

It is a bit confusing to find initially if you are driving, but once you find the correct road there are signs that point the way to Sunrise Resort & Marina at the turning points. After that, it is easy. It is a bit out of town in a suburb, so you will need a car.

The staff are very friendly and helpful. It is unfortunate that right now the restaurant is not open as the place is very self contained. The hotel will furnish bicycles, kayaks, paddleboat, and I think jet skis to hotel occupants. There are fishing poles available as well. There are many gorgeous sailboats and yachts parked there for short and long durations. The water in the canal is very clean and calm. There is a nice common area by the pool that has music, pingpong, pool table, and exercise equipment. Unfortunately the bar is not open either. Perhaps as business increases it will be used again.

There is a small shopping area about 10 blocks away that I walked to several times. There is a conch stand that fixes conch salad (ceviche style), steamed conch that they call "grilled", and fried conch, fish, and shrimp. You can take your meal into the bar next door and order a beverage while watching tv or listening to the music. There was a hamburger type grill beside the bar, but I never found it open. There is also a small grocery store, laundry and a few other businesses in the complex.

Internet via WiFi was pretty good except for one night when it was out totally. There is NO business center and it would have been $2 per page to print out my boarding pass.

There was a small coffee pot and refrigerator in my room as well as an iron and ironing board. There are laundry facilities on each floor.

So, I definitely will try to stay at Sunrise again and recommend it as a very nice and economical place for people who want to avoid the noise of places brimming with tourists. Security is very good as the gates are locked in the evening and a guard will let occupants in and out. During the day the gates are usually locked and people enter and exit via doors throught the office.

In short...good value, lovely place, and nice people at Sunrise Resort & Marina.

Ken

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank KGCPA
Belfast, Maine
Reviewed 14 March 2011

I stayed 3 nights on my boat in the Marina and so cannot comment on the rooms, but all the staff were very friendly and went out of their way to make sure that you were getting what you needed and that you knew of all the available amenities. In the Bahamas, one gets used to not everything being just how you might wish it to be, but friendliness like this is something that other bahamas businesses should take note of. General Manager Ta'Shar and head dockhand Thompson were particularly friendly and helpful. I will definitely stay there again and look forward to it.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
Rockhampton, Australia
Reviewed 15 February 2011

We found out about this hidden gem through a cruising friend. We were looking for a quiet comfortable place to use as a home base to explore Freeport and Grand Bahama Island, this resort fulfilled all of our expectations. The rooms wewre roomy yet comfortable and exceptionally clean the staff were helpful and always courteous. we will definately visit sunrise again as we have much more left to see and do, Thank you Sunrise,Ta'Shar. Cuccurullo and staff, too many to name but Thompson and Alisa stand out.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank murkehaze
Daintree Region, Australia
Reviewed 14 February 2011

Initially I booked for 2 nights. I ended up staying for almost 3 weeks!
What a quiet and friendly place.
All the staff are fantastic. They really go out of their way to make sure you have everything you need.
On my 3rd day I was asked if I needed anything in my room. I said I was eating my cereal out of the coffee pot with a teaspoon. I was promptly moved to another room with a small kitchen sink. Staff were helping me move my things, while others brought cutlery, dishes and a microwave. At this stage I had only booked for 2 more nights!
I really can't say enough about all the staff and the manager.
Thanks guys.