“Save your money!!”

Sunrise Resort & Marina
Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Freeport
Reviewed 21 January 2013

Was definately not worth the money and I'm glad my whole vacation was not spent here!

Dirty coffee machine, no restaurants anywhere in the vicinity and no cooking facilities to bring your own food! No access to the beach even though you are told there is....the beach is located down a road that is marked "private property" and has a security guard!

As for the name, they are not even facing the right way to see the Sunrise!!

No internet service as per advertised, dirty linens, I won't get into specifics, needless to say I slept fully clothed!! Dirty bathroom......and I could go on but I think you get the idea!!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Sunshine13NovaScotia
Ta Shar C, General Manager at Sunrise Resort & Marina, responded to this reviewResponded 8 February 2013

Dear Sunshine13NovaScotia,

I apologize for the issues during your recent stay, and wish you had voiced your concerns to us while you were here.

I can assure you that our housekeeping staff takes great pride in ensuring every room is spotless and linens fresh and clean for our guests. Your experience is not representative with our high standards, and I am working with our staff to look into the issues.

We are working with the authorities to enhance our free Wi-Fi, but there are free hot spots now throughout the resort. The nearby white sand beach is also available to our guests, many of whom appreciate its quiet nature.

Again, I apologize for the issues you experienced.

Reviewed 19 January 2013

I stayed here for four nights. This hotel is not fancy, so if that's what you're looking for, you'll be disappointed. There is no restaurant or food, so if you don't have a car or want to spend a lot in taxis, this might not be the best option. What is fantastic is that you are close to a beach that had virtually no one on it. It was breathtaking. Ms. Sanders, in the evenings, at the front desk, was about as nice as they come. She was very friendly and helpful. The hotel states they have internet in the rooms, but it absolutely does not work in your room. If you don't mind standing by the pool or sitting in the room that used to be the restaurant, the wifi works great in those locations. The rooms were clean but could use some updating. They provided free bikes (though you can't ride them far) and free kayaks.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank mrsklouton
Reviewed 31 December 2012

We were greeted by a very nice staff member--even though we arrived early, she immediately gave us a room. The room was simple, but good. The bathroom could have used an update because many of the floor tiles were cracked. The bed was comfortable but barely attached to the headboard so the slightest move caused squeaks. The wifi was slow but always worked (unlike some of the other reviews of this property). They offered free kayak and bike rentals but we didn't have the time to partake. The location is not too far from anything, but you will need a car to get around.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank lizardtiff
Reviewed 22 December 2012

Sunrise is a great place to stay if you want to stay away from the crowded Lucaya area. We stayed here for two nights and had a wonderful experience. We had our own rental car, so we did not have issues with staying a little further away. The room was nice and clean and they even have free bikes/kayaks/WiFi for guests. All that said, there are no restaurants nearby, so you will have to drive to a restaurant to get food. The restaurant at the resort is going to open in Jan 2013 and that would make things much more convenient. Overall, I would recommend it if you are planning to rent a car and explore the island on your own.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Mopy M
Reviewed 8 December 2012

Thanks Ta Shar I had a wonderful stay. I was there for my birthday in October and visiting a friend. I enjoyed my stay. It was great getting away from my day-to-day fast pace living. Loved the quietness!!!! I will visit you again.

Didn't feel comfortable renting a car because you guys drive on the wrong side of the road and I wouldn't want to cause an accident...lol I had my own personal driver during my stay.

Thanks for the great hospitality!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank pammca
Ta Shar C, General Manager at Sunrise Resort & Marina, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2012

Dear Pammca,

Thank you so much for the kind words. It was a pleasure hosting you for your birthday and glad you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back to Sunrise Resort and Marina , and beautiful Grand Bahama soon!

Reviewed 24 November 2012

I stayed here on business for just two days.
Good points.... Quiet.... Nothing else..
Bad points... No refreshments, apartment a dirt filter coffee maker. No Wifi, lame excuse about not being close enough to the sports bar, then about resetting it, then about the service provider, then about the whole island being effected. TV would work properly with a bad reception throughout. I was advised there was a free bus into Lucaya at 7.20 PM this was a Taxi bus that was not free.
I don't know where these good reviews came from.
If you want quiet and out of the way, with no services, then stay here.
If you want service and food, then don't stay here, stay in Lucaya...

Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Spongeandcustard
Ta Shar C, General Manager at Sunrise Resort & Marina, responded to this reviewResponded 30 November 2012

Dear Spongeandcustard,

Thank you for your comments. I apologize for the issues during your recent stay and wish I had the opportunity to speak about your concerns while you were still here. We strive to provide excellent service and clean facilities in a quiet location at a great value.

Unfortunately, it is against the law for us to advertise complimentary transportation. This is something we do as a convenience for our guests, but it does differ from a regular taxi which you may have mistakenly taken.

There is an issue throughout the island with Wi-Fi service. We know that free Wi-Fi is important to our guests, and we are diligently working with experts to restore the signal strength from the few hot spots back to being available resort-wide as soon as possible.

Again, I apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay.

Reviewed 15 November 2012

We were booked at this hotel through work for 2 weeks. No one at the desk when we arrived at 9pm. Security guard had to call someone to get our keys. Wifi did not work throughout our entire stay, even after promises of "it will be fixed today." No hot water for 2 days during our stay. A/C in my room just blew in warm air from outside. If you want to get food, be prepared for a $20 cab ride. Beach is a 1/2 mile walk down a path behind a condo unit. Staff was pleasant, but ineffective. Would not stay again.

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank Stagetek

Dear Stagetek,

Thank you for your comments. I am so sorry to hear of the issues during your stay. I can assure you that it is not representative of our property, which is popular with many business travelers who appreciate our service and quiet location.

Unfortunately, our hot water heater did break last month. We worked quickly to get a new one installed as soon as possible, and have not had any issues since that time. I do know it was an inconvenience for the two days it was out, and I apologize for that.

We are also aware of signal issues with our free Wi-Fi. It is an issue island wide, but we are working with the authorities to restore the signal strength from the few hot spots back to throughout the resort as soon as possible.

Again, I apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay.