A 5 night stay at the Pelican Bay is all about endurance. The hotel itself is very colorful and nicely maintained. And that is about where the compliments stop. Staying at a hotel is all about the staff that services you, and the staff at the Pelican Bay is truly lacking in customer service. It took all our efforts to evoke a smile or laugh from anyone. Starting with the check-in; in which you were coldly told that you have no phone use from your rooms, you need to check out your towels for the pools, you need to sign for the locks if you want to use the rooms safe & there is no continental breakfast as sold to us as part of our package ($19 pp). The staff at the adjoining Sabor Restaurant was even ruder. Maybe it is the fact that we are American and our economy is shot and therefore their economy in the Bahamas is shot also. But, for an island that depends on tourism as its #1 economy booster, perhaps its citizens should act like they appreciate the tourists. We were one of the few tourists that flew in to the Grand Bahamas rather than taking a cruise ship but, all of our activities were based on the cruise ship mentality. If not enough people signed up, the activity was cancelled. Very frustrating! We ventured into the straw market area where many vendors were selling items and there was definitely no bartering going on. If you wanted an item, you paid the full price for what the vendor was asking. The fancier restaurants presented nice meals but, the ambiance and the wait staff were not friendly. We did manage to get some smiles from the bartenders at the pubs. And our housekeeping staff (Denise) was a kick in the butt (very outgoing). We vacationed here because we were looking for some laid back tropical fun. We incorporated many activities into our stay and were more than willing to overlook a few foo pahs. Would we go back....no. The islanders just weren't very friendly to the tourists.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- As Grand Bahama Island's most hospitable hotel, the Pelican Bay is a joyful mix of colorful Bahamian architecture and the finest guest service in the Caribbean. Unique waterside rooms and waterside state rooms enfold you in comfort, while offering special guest touches. Renowned standards of hospitality and attention to guest happiness assure you of a memorable stay in the Bahamas.Part of the Pelican Bay experience is located within steps of your room. In addition to our waterfront Sabor Restaurant and Bar, more than 30 restaurants, bars, shops, live entertainment, the Dolphin Experience, scuba diving, snorkeling, and deep-sea fishing trips are a short stroll away.Immediately across the street are two miles of white sand beach, a full service spa, four "Grand Slam" surface tennis courts and a casino. All this is the happy Pelican Bay experience, one you will remember with fondness. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Pelican Bay at Lucaya reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Pelican Bay At Lucaya Hotel Freeport
- Pelican Bay At Lucaya Freeport
- Pelican Bay Lucaya
- Pelican Bay At Lucaya Bahamas/Freeport, Grand Bahama Island