“Second Honeymoon”

Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Freeport
New Windsor, Illinois, United States
“Second Honeymoon”
Reviewed 18 May 2012

We have never been anywhere just the two of us for more than one day, let alone out of the US. The hotel was wonderful, loved the staff who were very helpful. It was so relaxing and enjoyable. I definitely want to go back to the same hotel.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
PelicanBayHotel, Operations Manager at Pelican Bay at Lucaya, responded to this review, 28 May 2012
Dear Chris W,

Thanks for such a nice review regarding your recent stay.

Hope to see you again on a future visit to Grand Bahama Island.

Della Bridgewater

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 May 2012

I always stay at the Pelican Bay Hotel when I am in Freeport, its clean n tidy, very good value for money, I always look forward to my visit.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
Va. Beach, Va.
Reviewed 16 May 2012

Talk about feeling pampered! The staff are fabulous, very accommodating!! The "Bread Box" was an added treat each am, nice way to start the day as you read the TImes and watach boats venture out. A good deal, clean & comfortable, perfect location to do whatever you want to do... or Not. Don't miss trying Agave & Giovanni's Cafe.......DebiH

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank mandymax
San Diego, California
Reviewed 11 May 2012

Came here for my husbands business and then to stay a few extra days to relax. The complex is quiet and I definitely would return. The famous muffins delivered to your room every morning is a wonderful treat and the in room espresso machine makes it a nice way to get things going. The front desk staff was always nice and helpful to whatever need we had. I think the only negative would be that we did not have a car and there wasn't really a market within walking distance of the complex. The daily breakfast was very nice and had good quality food but we didn't want to pay the approx. $32 for two people every day when you can walk over to the market area and get a basic breakfast for about $18 for two.

Room Tip: I would request rooms overlooking the Solare restaurant and the pool. Sunsets can be seen very nice...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank T S
PelicanBayHotel, Front Office Agent at Pelican Bay at Lucaya, responded to this review, 15 May 2012
Dear T S,

Thank you so much for your kind feedback, we appreciate it greatly. We are beyond delighted to know that you were satisfied with your stay with us.

Thank you, we hope to see you soon!

Williamsburg, Virginia
Reviewed 10 May 2012

I want to start off by saying that this was our first trip to GBI. We are frequent travelers to the Caribbean and this place is special. We love the warmth of the people and all the island has to offer – (DO NOT MISS the Wednesday Night Fish Fry)! I am disappointed by the negative reviewers – they make all tourists appear to be self absorbed snobs. Clearly they have unrealistic expectations, or are just ignorant of island life, people and customs. We enjoyed the Marketplace. We got to know the locals, bought some trinkets, found some great food and service, and had a blast dancing in Count Basie Square. It is what you make it!
Now to Pelican Bay. We let the resort know that we were celebrating our 24th anniversary but with our 10 year old in tow. When we arrived in the suite, Brenda had sprinkled fresh flowers everywhere and thoughtfully had brought up a rollaway bed for our child because she thought she would be uncomfortable for 4 nights on the couch. We also received some special gifts – we use them every day! The 4th floor suite was gorgeous, spotless and had everything we needed. The basket of pastry and fruit was perfect to satisfy our child early in the mornings since we knew that we would most likely be eating “brunch” after 10:00am. The espresso machine was perfect. We always had bottled water.
Every single person we came in contact with on the hotel side was friendly and accommodating. We were treated like guests and family at the same time. The management team clearly sets high expectations and everyone delivered.
We were right next door to UNEXSO, had easy access to beaches, and the pools were great.
The only negative was an experience at Sabor, but I will address that on the restaurant review. They do have a nice happy hour.
We truly love this property and are planning our return this year!

Room Tip: Ask for 3rd or 4th floor and by all means -upgrade to a suite!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank caycayva
Dear Caycayva,

It is a pleasure to know that you enjoyed your visit to GBI and especially your visit with us at Pelican Bay Hotel. We always try our best to go that extra mile to please our guests in order that you may return to stay with us again. It fills my heart to know that you were able to receive the level of service that you were looking for.

We do look forward to seeing you and your family again!

Thanks,
Portsmouth, New Hampshire
Reviewed 4 May 2012

We spent four nights here in April 2012. Our two-room suite was excellent: clean, roomy, well-equipped. We'd booked through the hotel website, which offered a 4th-night-free deal on the suites that made that option cheaper than a regular room. When we first checked in we were assigned to a ground floor suite, but asked for and got a 3rd-floor suite with a fantastic balcony and beautiful view. Staff was friendly and helpful. Hotel's outdoor restaurant "Sabor" was unexpectedly nice. Only hotel negatives were a dead light bulb in bathroom that didn't get fixed, and only one TV remote for two TVs -- but those were trivial. Port Lucaya area is attractive and convenient. Free boat shuttle to Tiano (sp?) beach area is great. Restaurant food was decent (not great), service very good, and prices were surprisingly low. The area is ideal for relaxing, scuba diving, fishing, or swimming. Kids might get kinda bored in the area, especially if it rains.

Room Tip: As for an upper floor room.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jeffrey S
Dear Jeffrey S,

We greatly appreciate your kind feedback on our property and the service that you received here. We are very pleased that you enjoyed your time with us and that we were able to provide you with the exceptional service that you deserved.

However, we do apologize for your issue with the light bulb in your room and the shortage on the TV remote controls.

Thank you again and we hope to see you again!

Vero Beach, Florida
Reviewed 30 April 2012

I'm sorry, but sometimes I just can't keep to myself.

I just booked our vacation, and it didn't take rocket science to book it again staying at the Pelican Bay. My Husband and I have stayed at three different "high star" rated hotels in Freeport, but much prefer to Pelican Bay. Everyone is so kind and helpful....even my friend the golf cart driver. :)

When I read reviews and there is one out of ten that gives a bad review, I have to think it's just because you can't please everyone.

Service at Sabor's when we were there was nothing but fantastic. You know, when you visit the Bahamas I have to keep reminding myself everyone is on island time. That is NOT to say they move slow or service is slow. That's just to say relax.....take a breath and enjoy.

Housekeeping when we were there made themselves visable. Meaning they always went out of their way to see to your needs. Our room was always clean and fresh towels were always in supply. We were in just a "standard" room.

Regina. Well if she isn't friendly......what the heck did someone do to tick her off. I've been speaking to her on the phone here lately and she is always letting you know she is smiling (you can hear it in her voice). My feeling is, and I have seen it all too often. Just because we are on vacation doesn't give us the right to be rude and disrespectful. We just got off a cruise and one morning as I left my cabin I said good morning to the cabin steward, as I walked by another guest as she came from her room and the steward said good morning. She never spoke good morning she simply said......can you switch my sheets out today? My Husband had to drag me on to keep me from saying something.

And there's the vendors. Really, they are going to ruin your trip to Freeport. I suppose I should let the fact that the remote control for the tv doesn't work ruin mine. Listen folks, when someone throws lemons at you.....smile.....and make lemonade.

Staff at Pelican Bay, I can't wait to see you. Okay, and yes.....I can't wait for the orange water in your lobby!

Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank RLSii488
PelicanBayHotel, Operations Manager at Pelican Bay at Lucaya, responded to this review, 1 May 2012
Dear RLSii488,

We are elated about your upcoming return to our hotel on Grand Bahama Island! We thank you for being such a great repeat guest.

Your comments below are deeply appreciated! Cheers to the happy times you will have!
See you soon!

PS. Your orange water will waiting for you!

Della Bridgewater
Operations Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Freeport
Bell Channel Inn
Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach
Old Bahama Bay
Old Bahama Bay
#1 of 1 in West End

Been to Pelican Bay at Lucaya? Share your experiences!