“Mixing Business with Pleasure/Vacation”

Pelican Bay at Lucaya
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Freeport
Reviewed 2 June 2012

While I was in Freeport on business, my companies travel agency suggested another hotel, which they claimed was rated higher and less expensive. However, my wife had read the other hotels TripAdvisor ratings and insisted that we change to the Pelican Bay. The other option was no where near the beach and shopping. I am seriously glad that she did. The Pelican Bay was FAR NICER and only $5.00/night more expensive.

Positives:
1. Location, Location, Location. You are not more than 1/4 mile from the beach.
2. The Sabor. Awesome food on-site.
3. UNEXSO, is next door.
4. Did I mention location. You are right next to the Lucayan Market. Awesome shopping opportunities.
5. Waterview room, was perfect and gave us a quiet stay.

Negatives:
1. The bed. They are well worn and need to be replaced.
2. Elevator was out of order for most of our visit, which was a slight issue.
3. The rooms need to be updated. The furniture is a little old and needs to be replaced, however the location made up for these deficencies. The TV's also need to be replaced, but we weren't there to watch TV.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
PelicanBayHotel, Operations Manager at Pelican Bay at Lucaya, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2012

Dear dhagemam1,

We are certainly happy that you chose Pelican Bay as your accomodation during your visit to Grand Bahama Island.

We humbly apologize for the non-operating elevator in your building while you were here. Unfortunately we had to wait for a part that took quite some time to arrive. I am happy that you did not let this problem interfere with your stay.

Pelican Bay continues to make improvements on all areas to ensure guest satisfaction. We thank you taking time to provide your feedback. Your review, no matter positive or negative is truly beneficial to us.

Operations Manager

Reviewed 30 May 2012

We traveled by boat from S.FL and booked marina and hotel off of recommendations from this site. Pelican Bay was a great choice! 9 of us stayed in rooms and really enjoyed the pools, restaurant/bar and staff. It was a short walk to our boat in the Lucaya Marina. The property is very nice and the rooms are nice (more worn than the rest of the property with a musty smell but still nice). I never woke up in time for the breakfast but my friends mentioned it was very basic for $19. The taxi the resort called tried to switch the restaurant up on us with his reccomendation, we trusted him which was a very bad decision. Ended up back at Lucaya Market and the hotel/marina for the rest of our time. I loved hanging out in the hotel pool, drinking a two for one happy hour Sands beer from he bar.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jbogi
PelicanBayHotel, Front Office Agent at Pelican Bay at Lucaya, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2012

Dear Jbogi,

We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay here with us at the 'Happy Place.' It is a pleasure to know that your were able to enjoy your happy experience here and also on the island of Grand Bahama also. We enjoyed having you guys here and we the staff of the hotel are ecstatic that you were pleased with your choice of accommodation.

We do hope that you return and stay with us again!

Reviewed 29 May 2012

everything was fabulous-location right on the bay-block from beach/block from Port Lucaya-if you wish to go shopping-ferry to other beach operates all the time/rooms and houskeeping was supurb! 3 pools/one was an infinaty with swim up bar-closed- but still pool was there-what can I say cept we'll be back! Cindy

Room Tip: didn't know there was a fitness center-maybe not and they didn't offer room service-suite ov...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
PelicanBayHotel, Front Office Agent at Pelican Bay at Lucaya, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2012

Dear CLTChapelHill,

We appreciate your positive review; we are delighted that we were able to be a part of your enjoyable vacation.

We hope to see again very you soon!

Thank you.

Reviewed 28 May 2012

Stayed here last year for my best friends wedding, and had a excellent time. The resort is in walking distance from a shopping area where you can buy food and gifts. I recommend staying here.

Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank Jeffrey Z

Dear Jeffrey Z,

Thank you so much, we do value your opinion of our hotel greatly. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay and hope that you return again!

Reviewed 27 May 2012

Great, friendly and courteous staff all around who clearly take pride in doing their jobs right(check in and out were very efficient; bar staff at Sabor were quick and acccurate, maintenance guys working at the business centre took time to have a chat with me, staff at the Flying Fish restaurant (great concept... will try the wine pairing option next time, colleagues loved the 1 minute manicure in the bath) and the breakfast building (good variety available each day and always kept clean) were all great Everyone did what they could to make your time with them better. The room was a really really large suite with everything needed to feel at home, robes, pastry tray on mornings, rain shower/tub large living area, kithcen, 2 tv's and the balcony with an amazing view of the sunrise and sunset.....
This was my first trip to the Bahamas but I will return in June on business for a longer stay, so I really hope I get to stay here again. Only downside during this trip was the weather...it rained heavily everyday and night so I couldn't explore the hotel's grounds, the Lucaya market and shops next door and of course the Bay itself...but I'll be back

Room Tip: Definitely upgrade to a suite at least on the 3rd floor to have the amazing views of the sunrise and...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank WillandNic
PelicanBayHotel, Operations Manager at Pelican Bay at Lucaya, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2012

Dear WillandNic,

I'm so happy that you had a great stay and enjoyed the comfort of your waterside state room (suite) while visiting with us! Thanks for recognizing our staff, it is truly our goal to guarantee happiness for all of our visitors.

I must agree with you on the rain comment, we were all caught off guard with the heavy downpour, and I guess we didn't have much say on when it would stop, lol. I am happy that you'll be returning next month..I am sure there will be nice days of sunshine waiting for your arrival.

Thanks for taking time to provide feedback regarding your stay. We look forward to your return.

Operations Manager

Reviewed 24 May 2012

Just got back from Pelican Bay Hotel ,Freeport, Bahamas,had gone the destination wedding of my nephew Travis, This was the first time, I had gone to the Bahamas and Pelican Bay turned out to be the best place ever, The staff there should be commended for their attention and kindness, to each guest, We were treated with so much concern and care and friendliness.What a great place to stay,the staff make the trip worthwile, the room we had was great,and the grounds surrounding the hotel are beautiful,breakfast was great each morning.
While I found that hotel food can be a little pricy,it was fairly good,but the friendliness of the whole staff,Mr Williams,,the girls behind the ck.in desk,housekeepers,waitresses,bartenders,everyone made one feel nothing but welcome.
Would I go back again, you betcha.

Room Tip: up grade to a suite if possible,it is more spacious,and breakfast included,patio,just more relaxing...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank joangilkes
PelicanBayHotel, Operations Manager at Pelican Bay at Lucaya, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2012

Dear Joangilkes,

I really enjoyed reading your review, it was so refreshing to hear your good comments regarding your experience with the staff on property.

I am elated that you had a great time while visiting Grand Bahama for your nephew's wedding. I can tell that you all had a great time, especially the night of the wedding when everyone jumped in the pool.

Thank for you taking time to provide a review regarding your stay. We look forward to seeing you a return visit to Grand Bahama Island.

Reviewed 18 May 2012

We have never been anywhere just the two of us for more than one day, let alone out of the US. The hotel was wonderful, loved the staff who were very helpful. It was so relaxing and enjoyable. I definitely want to go back to the same hotel.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Chris W,

Thanks for such a nice review regarding your recent stay.

Hope to see you again on a future visit to Grand Bahama Island.

Della Bridgewater

Also consider these accommodations in or near Freeport
Bell Channel Inn
Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach
Old Bahama Bay
Old Bahama Bay
#1 of 1 in West End

Been to Pelican Bay at Lucaya? Share your experiences!