“Not worth the time or money”

Pelican Bay at Lucaya
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Freeport
Reviewed 7 July 2013

I stayed at the Pelican Bay at Lucaya from for a few days in late June and early July 2013 and was very displeased overall with the entire experience. The room I had wasn't very nice (uncomfortable beds, paper-thin walls, crappy 19" CRT TV with fuzzy cable, etc.) The bathroom was not thoroughly cleaned (blood spots and stains on the walls). The staff are not very friendly either, besides a few folks who maintained the grounds there. It was very noisy from he surrounding rooms a lot of the time. I didn't get a good night's sleep the entire time I stayed there. The hotel's bar/restaurant "Sabor" is okay, butmthe staff there aren't friendly or accommodating either. They seem to do just enough to get by, but that seems to be the standard on Grand Bahama Island where rude, unfriendly, arrogant and generally un-hospitable people are the norm. I have to work on the island for now - unfortunately. One weekday night there was some event going on at Pelican Bay and there was absolutely no parking available for actual guests of the hotel. I had to park at the Lucayan Hotel and walk to my crappy room at Pelican Bay. I have stayed at other hotels on Grand Bahama Island and I will never stay at the Pelican Bay again. The crappy Wyndham at Fortuna Beach was a better experience, which is sad. It was a depressing experience for me to stay at Pelican Bay. I wish I never stayed there at all. The Lucayan Hotel is probably the best bet on Grand Bahama island but it isn't all that terrific either. I shouldn't even give the place 2 stars...

Room Tip: A suite on the east side of the property might be nicer.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Batch S
There are newer reviews for Pelican Bay at Lucaya

Reviewed 30 June 2013

The hotel setting is welcoming with charming rooms located with views on the bay side of Port Lucaya and in close proximity to the marina. The staff are welcoming and accommodating. A nice touch is daily pastry delivery to room equipped with nespresso coffee for daily pick me ups. The beds are very comfortable. The only drawback to the facility is the deteriorated condition of the living room furniture. The couch which can serve as a pull out bed is totally unuseable and uncomfortable and borders on unhealthy to sit on much less sleep on.
An otherwise exceptional atmosphere is negatively impacted by this single shortcoming. I would definitely revisit and recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: I don't think there's bad view from any room, however we like the more eastern rooms 31-38
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank lafhome
Reviewed 26 June 2013

We checked in a day early, with out a problem. Checking in and out was fast and flawless Rooms were clean,I think the tile floors were cleaned with pinesole. I thought it smelled clean, wife not so much. everyone was friendly. Grounds clean and well groomed.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Andrew B
Reviewed 25 June 2013 via mobile

We stayed here and I was impressed how big and clean the room was. Great breakfast buffet. Very friendly staff.next to a cool shopping area too. Its takes about 15 minutes by cab to get there. The beach is about a block away.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 22 June 2013

Checked in before 9:00 pm was told by front desk the "on-site" restaurant served until 9:30pm (Sambo Room out by pool area). The Waitress gave the two of us a table and menu's then shortly thereafter returned and said the kitchen was not serving any more!!!
Next issue was the hot water valve in the shower was broken, therefore we took cold showers for two nights. We were there working on a boat all day so could not move during day.
The last night we were there Sat the 15th June 2013 in the middle of the night our door was broke into and people stated to enter, luckily we were able to "scare" them off. The rooms have a "trap door", maybe for room service, this can be opened easily, then they have nice access to your door knob on the inside to open door. Make sure you latch the top "hook style" latch.
The second day we had to go back to front desk after working all day as our plastic "credit card" slide key was now deactivated, could not open door. The front desk was helpful with this.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank DavePDaveP
Reviewed 19 June 2013

This hotel has a great location, although not on the beach, in the heart of Lucaya and adjacent to UNEXSO. It has nice views over the lagoon and partially to the ocean. Breakfast was good and with a new conference building it seems the hotel is suited to host business travelers.
However, the room was dusty in many areas; (having staying in one with a separate bedroom) bookshelf was very dusty, inside drawers/cabinets, especially behind the 'curtain' in the bedroom that covers the small window above the bed. Staff were friendly and generally there were no problems, however a little more cleaning effort in rooms of that price category is to be expected.
This hotel is recommendable on the whole as it does offer a Bahamian feel.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank d1i2v3e4e5
Reviewed 16 June 2013

My husband and I recently returned from annual (7th!!) trip to Pelican Bay Hotel, Freeport-Lucaya, Bahamas. We spent 10 wonderful days at what has become our "Bahamian home away from home". Each year we enjoy ourselves even more than the last!
The "Staterooms" (suites) are large and comfortable with a separate bedroom. Our favorite rooms are on the 3rd or 4th floor ...best views of Bell Channel Bay from your balcony! There are elevators in all the buildings and ice machines are located next to them on two floors. There is a very comfortable king bed and tv in the bedroom (also a safe for your valuables). The bathroom is large with 2 sinks and a "rainfall" shower head-love that!! We highly suggest you stay in a suite! Fridge, coffee maker, Nespresso machine, sink, and microwave are located in the "kitchen" with plates, glasses and mugs provided. I ask for a couple of wine glasses and utensils to be placed there also. The living room has a sofa and chair, large coffee table and Bahamian artwork on the walls. WiFi is available for an extra charge. Each private balcony has 2 Adirondack chairs with an impressive view of Bell Channel Bay and stunning sunrises! Early each morning a basket with some danish/ sweet rolls/ fresh fruit, etc. is delivered to the box in your door, as well as a condensed version of that mornings' New York Times. You should check to see if the breakfast buffet in the Canal House is included. Typical hot breakfast items, as well as pastries, cereals, fresh fruits, etc. are offered. As it is included in the "Bonefishing Package" (contact H20bonefishing.com for info.), we took advantage of it every morning. Keva took good care of us as our server most mornings. We always left a few dollars extra tip. :) Note that there are quite a few places in the Marketplace that serve full breakfast.
After the always pleasant check in (shout out to the Front Desk staff--especially Adrian, Norma & Salario), we take a wander over to the Marketplace (a couple of minutes walk) and get wine, beer, water, snacks and of course, stop at the Conch Man for fresh- made conch salad!
If my husband was fishing for the day...I would decide if I wanted to take the 5 minute ferry (no charge to PB guests) to Taino Beach Resort (guests of Pelican Bay have use of the beautiful beach, chairs, fabulous pool with swim up bar...etc.) Yes, you can walk across the street to the beach at Grand Lucayan but, you have to pay to use a chair or the pool. There is no shade whatsoever on that beach so...why go there? Some days I would just grab a chaise by the "main" pool (overlooking the marina) and spend the whole day there! There are 3 pools, each with a different view.
With the Marketplace so close, I might first wander over to the shops (clothing, jewelry, gifts-- duty-free) or to the stalls with handmade Bahamian goods and gifts before hitting the beach or pool.
There are many restaurants in the Marketplace offering everything from Bahamian to Irish to Latin-fusion to Italian. We have a good time walking through and deciding where to have dinner each night. We celebrated our wedding anniversary at Luciano's, sitting outside on the 2nd floor overlooking the marina and watched the beautiful sunset! Some places do prefer a reservation....the front desk staff will be happy to make them for you. Onsite at Pelican Bay, right at the main pool area is one of our favorites, Sabor. Open-air, great food, friendly staff--we had dinner there at least 4 nights this visit. The bar is open all day, and they have a happy hour from 5 to 7. LOVE the Bahama Mama's!!! Also, "Flying Fish" (the #1 rated restaurant on Grand Bahama Island) is located on the property right on Bell Channel Bay. Somehow, we ran out of nights and did not have dinner there. But everyone raves about it. We will definitely get there next year!! One important note: 18% gratuity is added to every check at all restaurants and/or bars. If service is extra good, we leave a bit more.
With a break in the middle from fishing, my husband and I took a day trip with our go-to taxi guy, Adrian Martin (amtransportation@hotmail.com), to the East End. We stopped at Lucayan National Park (Gold Rocks Beach is gorgeous), and the Caves, saw the settlements (villages) scattered along the way, and had a great Bahamian lunch at Doris'. It was nice to see that part of Grand Bahama. Next year we'll head to the West End!
All in all, we had a wonderful time. My husband caught fish and the weather was the best ever! We could not ask for a better place to go and relax! So much so that.... no sooner did we get home...we wanted to turn around and go back. We hope to return in the late fall for a short stay...then plan for our "annual" May visit in '14.

Room Tip: 3rd or 4th floor (Room #'s 332 or 334, 432 or 434)
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Lettesgo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Freeport
Bell Channel Inn
Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach
Old Bahama Bay
Old Bahama Bay
#1 of 1 in West End

Been to Pelican Bay at Lucaya? Share your experiences!