“Paper thin walls = NO SLEEP”

Pelican Bay at Lucaya
Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Freeport
Orlando, Florida
“Paper thin walls = NO SLEEP”
Reviewed 8 March 2014

If you like hearing the people in neighbouring rooms showering, talking, and watching television; then this hotel is for you. You will hear just about everything that is going on in the suite next to you. To make matters worse, there are two UNLOCKED doors to the adjoining suite? Why not spend $20 to put a lock on the door? There's nothing to prevent the people from the suite next to you from coming into your suite. I could see the light from underneath the door of the other suite shining into my room at night! wth? This is definitely not a 4 star resort as it is advertised. You have to pay $12 for internet service PER NIGHT & extra for each additional devices. Really? We're living in 2014 and you're charging for Internet? Oh they do have a Business Center which offers free Internet service, which is basically a broom closet with two computers and a printer that does not work. They'll charge you .75 cents for LOCAL calls too. The cleaning crew were the friendliest among the employees at the Hotel. There were some awful employees at the hotel though. When i went to the bar to get my complimentary free drink i was insulted by the bartender for not getting any alcohol in it. The Air Conditioning Unit varies between the rooms but both models are super loud. The only good thing about the hotel was the Location, as it was close to the Marketplace and the friendly Cleaning Staff who would greet you, once they saw you. My shower curtain had multiple mold stains on it too. Another positive experience was the complimentary boat ride to Taino Beach.

Room Tip: Both rooms that i got were pretty horrible in terms of noise so i don't have any tips on choosin...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank itravel20142014
PelicanBayHotel, Operations Manager at Pelican Bay at Lucaya, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
Dear itravel20142014,

We are deeply saddened that you did not have a great stay with us as we would have hoped. I must immediately comment on the connecting doors because we have never had a problem with them as they are kept double locked unless booked as connecting. I would really appreciate further information on your room number so this can be verified.

You are correct about our wireless internet prices however we do not charge for multiple devices and we have a very high speed infrastructure in place. I humbly apologize for the inconveniences you experienced, it would have been great if we were given the opportunity to resolve your issues and make your stay better while you were with us.

While we are always happy to get a positive review, we thank you for providing a review of your experience, this will only help us to continue to improve our product. Please note that we always try to put ourselves inside the shoes of our guest because we truly appreciate your visit to our island.

Should there be anything we can do to make things right, please feel to contact me at the undersigned.

With Happiness,

Della Bridgewater
della.bridgewater@pelicanbayhotel.com
Operations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
Oulton Broad, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Stayed here for two nights on business, but wished I could of stayed longer. Everything was perfect except the weather, which was over cast.
Plenty of facilities I the room, toiletries, coffee, writing facilities everything. Staff wonderfully friendly. My room was on the ground floor and I would have been able to walk out from the balcony straight into the pool, except the weather prevented it !
Much better than the Lucayan Resort over the road.
When I come back to Freeport, I'm staying here!

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Austin
Reviewed 2 March 2014

I spent 6 nights at the Pelican, the outside is pretty and looks ok from 20' but when you get close, the paint needs refreshing, the equipment (ie, ice and vending machines) doesn't work, umbrellas are ripped, etc. The room was the same, dirty walls, stained towels, mattresses need replacing. If you are looking for a two star hotel, this is ok, but don't bring your wife here for a nice weekend, she will be disappointed.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Dear RWG2020,

We are continuously improving and upgrading our equipment and accomodations. We apologize for any deficiencies you experienced during your stay.

Feedback whether negative or positive is extremely important to us. We thank you for visiting our hotel.

With happiness

Della Bridgewater
Operations Manager
Regina
Reviewed 26 February 2014

We spent a week at Pelican Bay and really enjoyed our stay. The room was clean and comfortable. The employees were extremely polite and friendly. The Hotel is well situated close to the Port Lucaya Market and the 5 minute ferry ride to Taino Beach. Breakfasts were pleasant and tasy (as long as you were not too late).

The only drawback was the Sabor Restaurant which is attached to the Hotel. The food was medioicfre and the service was terrible. Worst lobster bisque I think I have ever eaten.

Other than Sabor we thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Pelican Bay. They have a CBC feed on their cable so we were also able to enjoy the Olympics while visiting!

Room Tip: Take a thrid floor water side room
Toronto
Reviewed 25 February 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the Pelican Bay Resort February 17 - 21 with my significant other.

PROS
Friendly staff! I really don't know how anyone complained about them.They were always polite and friendly to us.

We upgraded to a waterside state room, which is a suite and we were glad we did. We had AMAZING views of the bay which was the best part. The suite was very spacious, clean and had all the necessities to make us feel right at home.

The grounds are beautifully manicured. I loved that there were so many secluded areas to relax if you wanted to be away from everyone. The dining room where we ate breakfast had views of the bay and was an excellent way to start the day.
We were only there for 4 nights and didn't get a chance to eat at sabour restaurant, but it looked promising!

Food! Now this is more of a pro for the lucaya marketplace than the resort as we ate in the marketplace pretty much everyday. Food was excellent, affordable and portions were HUGE. For example, one afternoon we spent at Sparky's we ordered: 3 shots, 2 bahama mamas, cracked conch (accompanied with fries and coleslaw).... total bill was $18 USD. I also have to mention the amazing conch chowder and johnny cakes I had one afternoon at Giovanni's, it was DELICIOUS. What I liked most about the food was that everything we ordered was noticeably FRESH and made to order.

We attended the Wednesday night fish fry and had a blast. We walked up the road a bit to the local one and felt completely safe. Ordered a rum and coke, instead got rum with a shot of coke lol. Perhaps the best food I had all trip was at the fish fry. I'm not really a fish person but I loved the fish as well as the macaroni pie. It was the best macaroni pie I ever tasted in my life.

What I loved most about Freeport was their beaches. They have miles and miles of white sand beach. Perfect for taking long walks on :)

CONS
You have to pay for wifi, not only is it $15/day but it's also PER DEVICE. We did find a cafe in the marketplace that provided free wifi, I can't remember the name.

Although I loved our suites, the bathroom was a bit dated. The shower head, fixtures and shower tiles needed to be replaced.

We got lost on the grounds often due to a lack of signs. For example, the dining room is on the 3rd floor of the business centre.... And there are no signs or maps to tell you this. We were never told this upon checkin either.

There isn't much to do in the way of nightlife during the week, besides the fish fry. All the bars close around midnight in the marketplace, so no late nights.

Overall I recommend this resort for couples and families looking for a relaxing vacation.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank amac88
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 23 February 2014

Pelican Bay was excellent. There service was outstanding. We stay from Feb 13 to 20/2014. It was not all inclusive and we were glad for that because it let us try the local food. The ferry to the beach was awesome every day and the Fish fry on wednesday at Tiano beach was great. There staff was out of this World and I don't know how they tolerated the demanding clients. Breakfast was always filling beyond belief. I wish the WIFI was free but it was not which wasn't a big deal because it was free in Count Bassey Square. I would recommend this place in a minute and I would return in a second. This place beats all others in the area.

Room Tip: Most rooms are either facing in towards the pool or facing the ocean. Either way there is so much to...
3 Thank EmoLeBlanc
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Reviewed 22 February 2014

My Girlfriend and I stayed at Pelican Bay at Lucaya from 14 Feb 14 to 21 Feb 14.
The location was very convenient for us as it isn't an all inclusive resort, the market is just next door and no matter what your taste is there is something for everyone there.
Our king bed room was very clean when we arrived and it was cleaned everyday to perfection. The house keepers were very respectful and it is always nice to get a "good morning" from them while walking hungover to the restaurant at 7am :).
The front desk were very knowledgeable and would do anything to help you enjoy your stay.
I will definitely come back if I can afford it again in the future!

Room Tip: Get a king bed instead of the double? :)
1 Thank Jeremy B