“Nice place!!”

Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Freeport
NC
“Nice place!!”
Reviewed 10 October 2008

Great place, awesome location (don’t let it not being on the beach fool you) You are so close to the market and restaurants, the hotel is just in a very convenient location I thought. Also where you catch the Taino beach ferry is right beside the resort as well.

Few things I wish they had were dvd players in the rooms, better continental breakfast and free wi-fi.(they have 2 computers in a business center you can use but they were real slow and I just wish I could log onto my laptop in my room, but I refuse to pay $13/day.

Our king bed was VERY comfortable!! Very nice in which this is one thing I always like giving reviews on because if the beds are not comfortable, I want stay there again, Period.

The place was great and we would definitely book it again.

• Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
4 Thank mattlenderman

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
Chicago, IL, USA
Reviewed 4 October 2008

Stayed here for four nights at the end of September, which is a very slow time of year in Grand Bahama. On the one hand, fewer "bad" tourists around, mostly people stopping in the area off boats and a few odd characters straight out of central casting. The biggest negative though is that a lot of restaurants, bars and stores were closed. About half the restaurants and bars on the square were not open, including Rum Runners. No live music as they were apparently doing some work on the pavement on the square. The hotels, (Pelican Bay, Westin/Sheraton) appeared to be about 25% occupied, if that.

As for Pelican Bay specifically, I was upgraded to a suite after being told my original room type was sold out. Um no, I got a suite because the resort was empty! Suite was great--huge! Loved the bread basket in the door in the morning. Never made it to the continental breakfast. Everything else at the resort was closed. The front desk woman who checked me in said that the restaurant was closed until further notice. The swim-up bar at Neptunes was closed too. This kind of impacted my opinion of the resort. I almost never saw another hotel guest, much less any staff because I had to leave the property to do anything. Never got housekeeping service the day before check-out even though I was gone most of the day.

Overall, I think this place is really nice, but I did not have much to go on.

• Stayed September 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank ChicagoAlli
baltimore,md.
Reviewed 21 August 2008

This was like my 7th time, I think. I've lost count. Always a great stay with them. upon arrival my room was not ready, instead of
waiting for a room to become available, I was upgraded to a suite. I love their suites,they are very roomy, It's like having my own little apartment.
Once I got to my suite, I did not feel comfortable being on the first level, being that I was traveling alone ,I made a call to the
front desk, no problem, I was moved to a second level
suite. Even though the weather was crappy the days that I was
there, a lot of rain and winds due to the storm Fay. I still enjoyed
my stay there. I travel a lot to Freeport, Bahamas.and Pelican Bay
is my only choice!

• Stayed August 2008, travelled solo
4 Thank bahamaladie
Fort Myers, Florida
Reviewed 8 August 2008

I just got back from a 3 night stay at Pelican Bay with my kids, all over 18. I have stayed at the Westin across the street and while it is an excellent hotel it is a bit too large for my taste. I have stayed at Pelican Bay at least 6 times in the last few years and have never been disappointed. From the friendliness of the staff to the suites and the little "extras" it was as good as ever,. All the restaurants, bars and the casino are within walking distance.

If you are looking for a great place to stay, quiet yet comfortable and a good value for the dollar, you can't go wrong here....

Stop at Rumrunners in the Marketplace while you are there and say hi to Gary and all the fine gentlemen that work there...you guys are the best!

3 Thank MikeKFlorida
ohio
Reviewed 29 July 2008

Pelican Bay was wonderful!! Our faves: great continental breakfast, wonderful view, delicious outdoor restaurant (with THE best Pina Colada!), and 3 awesome pools. My recommendation: if you can afford the upgrade, choose the Grand Suite - it's lovely! The only drawback was there is a basket of snacks we mistakenly thought the lady at the front desk said were included (we thought due to the better room) - we just had 2 bags of chips and a chocolate bar = $10! oops! Also we were able to take the Ferry for free to Taino Beach (only about a 5min ride) a quieter, beautiful beach. It was great! Best bets: live music Friday and Saturday nights at the square, snorkeling at Deadman's Reef (lunch included and cheap drinks) and the delicious Goombay Smash drink!

• Liked — Beautiful room and view from balcony - great location
  • Disliked — wish pool with swim up bar served drinks!
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ccrn2006
New Jersey
Reviewed 26 July 2008

My husband and I were married and honeymooned at the Pelican Bay Memorial Day weekend of this year. Our suite was beautiful, with phenomenal view of the bay. The majority of the staff was extremely friendly and helpful, especially Stanley the bellman!

We had one issue that, had it not poured horizontal rain for about 90 minutes, I would be more than willing to over look. We were scheduled to have our reception dinner (with 30-odd guests) at the Ferry House restaurant (not owned by the Pelican Bay but partnered with them), the Ferry House overbooked and we got bumped in favor of the other bride and groom staying at the hotel...this was not a huge thing as we were told that the had "upgraded" us to the Grand Bahama Yacht club...except, upon meeting with Marva Munroe (the wedding coordinator) once on site she informed us that it was "working out better" to have our reception at the Neptune's Pool area( still not sure why, my fault for not asking). Now, Neptune's Pool is a beautiful location and it was on the hotel's property which meant everyone could retire to their rooms or go for a swim after the reception ended; however, it is very much open to the elements and the tent provided only served to keep the rain at bay for so long...I was not present for this debacle (safe in my suite) but from what I understand after the danger was over (this was a nasty storm) the staff seemed at a loss for how to recover and reset the reception area (including not having enough mops, towels to wipe the puddles of water off the ground) and my guests were left with the feeling that if they did not step in and rearrange everything and restore order that it would not get done. So if you are going to be having a reception out at Neptune's Pool, make sure the staff has a better contingency then a simple tent.

Other than the above issue our wedding was wonderful. Marva is very good at what she does and it's clear she genuinely cares about her brides. She was with us the whole day and made sure that everything that was within her control went beautifully. The ceremony location at Spanish Main Beach was lovely. It was absolutely private and serene. The violinist was phenomenal. The reverend Bishop Kemp was so pleasant, he listened in our meeting and incorporated all of the elements we were looking for and was great off the cuff when we had problems lighting our unity candle and memorial candle due to the wind. Katy created wonderful bouquets and corsages...the flowers were simply stunning. Katy also took us for our marriage license and gave us a quick tour of the island,, including a trip to the $2 store for fans for the ceremony guests. Our limo driver David was fantastic as well ( he was also the driver that picked us up at the airport when we arrived) he was so accommodating and friendly.

Once the reception got going, we had a great time. The food (still provided by the Ferry House) was outstanding! The DJ (Earl Neely) was good but I wish we had given him a more specific playlist as we kept having to ask him for songs and at one point got 4 Bruce Springsteen songs in a row. The tables were beautifully decorated (once again thanks to Katy). The cake that was included with our package was delicious and just enough considering the included desserts with or reception menu. The bartender made fabulous pink drinks! My apologies to anyone we disturbed dancing the night away (the hotel extended their party curfew by an hour since our reception was delayed).

Also, the staff at the Cutting Garden salon was wonderful...my hair was beautiful as were the do's for my bridesmaids and mother and mother in law. The make-up artist at the Senses Spa at the Westin was fantastic as well.

The Bahama Mama was lots of fun, the food was decent and the limbo show was out of this world. The Taino Beach is beautiful...take a Banana Boat ride with Neil and you might get to see the dolphins. The pool at Taino was crazy, a slide, tile lounges in the water and a bar in a Grotto, too cool. Pirate Juice is delish but packs a punch! Avoid the conch fritters there and the fish fingers...food poisoning is an unpleasant way to spend a vacation. The Dolphin Swim with Unexso was an amazing experience...the staff there is great. The Marketplace is nice enough. There is a great variety of restaurants. Drinks at Rum Runners is a good time. Pretty good shopping...some of the ladies in the stalls are incredibly pushy though. The Marketplace at night is a little shady if you aren't in a group (ladies, don't go walking around by yourself).

Overall we had a wonderful wedding and honeymoon!!

• Liked — The beautiful suite, the wonderful work on my wedding.
  • Disliked — The lack of staff contingency for rain with an outdoor wedding and reception
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank jrztrvlr
San Diego, California
Reviewed 8 July 2008

The hotel was very clean and the breakfast was great. The hotel is located in the middle of everything! You can walk across the street to a busy beach or you can take a free ferry ride to a more secluded beach. There was a nice restaurant near one of the pools. It was very romantic. Very good restaurant, although maybe over priced a little bit. There are many restaurants nearby. The hotel has bicycles for you to use. We rode them to an even more secluded beach (although riding on the road was a little scary!). I would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Freeport!

• Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple