“rated #3 out of 18 hotels in Freeport - are ya kidding me?!”

Pelican Bay at Lucaya
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Freeport
Reviewed 7 August 2014

This was my first time (and it will be my last) that I stayed at the Pelican Bay. Not only was our flight to the island delayed for hours due to "technical difficulties" but when we inquired about room service at check in - we were told that we would have to call the restaurant - Sabor- located behind the building and order take-out. I had 2 small children with me. No effort was made to try to assist me. Upon entering our Waterside Estate Room, I was somewhat surprised at the condition. The bathroom toilet was not clean, neither were the fixtures (unless it's the ocean air that made them look the way they did). Our "amazing" sliding doors that led outside (we were on the 1st floor), were secured by a wooden stick. That was our security - no lock on the door. Are you kidding me?!!! When I attempted to use the safe, I found that there wasn't a lock on it. I had to go back to the lobby and sign for one...are you kidding me?! My husband and I opened the sofa bed to find a 1 inch thick, worn out, stained mattress with no clean sheets. I had to call the front desk and request they bring them to the room. My husband was handed rolled up blanket and sheets. Needless to say, we never used the sheets or the sofa bed. We all slept in the main bedroom. The cleaning staff was terrible - every morning I placed the sign on my door requesting maid service. They never came. They would come when I was in my room and did not require their services at that time. Our last day there, we asked that she come back in an hour as we were going out for the day. We left our room at 9am and got back at 3:30 - our room was never cleaned. We still had takeout boxes from the night before, we needed new towels, etc. Finally, my husband called the front desk again and had them bring what we needed and he had them take the garbage...are you kidding me?! My in-laws had a basic room, which was a complete disaster. The room was dirty and half the window treatment was torn off the rod. How does the cleaning staff not see this and how can they have guests stay in that room? I attempted to bring my kids in the pool one evening and within 1/2 hour we were surrounded but what I can only assume were employees since they knew the other employees personally. They proceeded to take turns diving and flipping off of the pier - yelling and screaming. We eventually took the kids out as the language was getting a little to "adult" for them. Never, never again...

Room Tip: Go across the street to the Grand Lucaya!!
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank Teresa G
PelicanBayHotel, Operations Manager at Pelican Bay at Lucaya, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2014

Dear Teresa G,

We are very sorry for what you experienced during your stay with us. It is certainly not indicative of the level of service we strive to provide every day. We have no problem in acknowledging our short comings and we have addressed them internally with all concerned.

We would have been grateful for the opportunity to address your concerns on a management level with you and awfully disappointed that we didn't.

Teresa G, I have sent you a private message in hopes of speaking with you. I hope to hear from you and once again on behalf of our management team and staff we humbly apologize.

with happiness,

Della Bridgewater
Operations Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,005)

Reviewed 6 August 2014

Overall, I enjoyed staying at this hotel but there was definitely the good and not so good.

First, the good. The location is good. It is right next to Lucayan Marketplace so you can walk to many shops and restaurants. It's also right next to UNEXSO, which is the dolphins. Since I was there to do dolphin programs for 4 days, this location was great for me. The staff was friendly. The room was good size and included a frig and bathroom was adequate size. I was here for an event in the conference center, so I just had to roll out of bed and walk to the conference center and my room rate included breakfast. The air conditioner worked and the room also included a safe so I could store my passport and other items when I went out. The beds were a little hard, but I slept on the comforter with the blanket on me and that was comfortable enough; pillows were comfortable.

Second, the not so good. The room is good sized but tired. By that I mean it's a bit on the older side. The tub had rust on the drain. The air conditioner is a built in the wall unit that worked, but was noisy. The ice machine was broken so I had to go to another building (they did get it fixed the day I left). My room also overlooked the pool and Sabor restaurant. On Fri/Sat nights they have live music which is very loud and you can't sleep until they are done. They would have moved me, but I was already completely unpacked and had been in that room for 3 nights - I should have asked to move at the beginning.

This hotel is on the harbor, not the beach. They have three pools, but I am interested in swimming in the ocean if I go to the Bahamas not a pool. They have a free ferry to Taino Beach, but it was just enough of a hassle to take my stuff and the ride that I didn't do it. You could swim at Lucaya Beach, but pay a fee because the Lucaya Hotel "owns" that beach. I didn't understand that when I booked the hotel. The room said "waterfront view", but I hardly had a view of the water (view photo attached -- if I stretched out my neck, I could glimpse the harbor barely through the trees).

I don't know how to compare with other places on Grand Bahama Island. Quite a bit of the buildings on the island seemed run down. The conference center at the hotel was new, but the rooms were older.

There is no room service, however we had one disabled person in our group and a person at the hotel brought her food from the restaurant. They were very accommodating.

Room Tip: Stay away from the Sabor Restaurant pool size if you want a quiet Fri/Sat evening.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank MaxBoris
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Wow, I actually stayed at the Pelican Bay a second time. Yes, I gave the place a second chance. Stupid me! The service is on par with the rest of the services provided on Grand Bahama Island - awful (most people there are extremely arrogant and rude)! I was there for work only and I do not recommend anyone visit the place for any reason. As a matter of fact, whenever I think things are getting a bit rough in life I think of the terrible experiences I had in Freeport, Bahamas. The Pelican Bay hotel was where I stayed the final few nights on the island. I can say one positive thing only - 'Bones Bar' is outstanding! Try the unfiltered High Rock lager! Otherwise, the hotel and the staff will disappoint anyone who is used to somewhat decent service. Don't say I didn't warn you!!!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank Batch S

CPT_Marty_Johnston,

We are truly disappointed to hear that we did not live up to your expectations or that our staff did not present themselves in the happy and hospitable tone that we are known for. It is also saddening to find it out on social media versus having the opportunity to address your concerns while you were on site.

One of our top priorities are to ensure that every guest has a positive experience when they arrive and certainly before they depart.

Your feedback, although negative is extremely vital to our operation and we thank you.

Regards,

Della Bridgewater
Operations Manager

Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

This hotel was awesome. From start to finish the employees were helpful and courteous and pleasant. The rooms were clean and spacious. We got an amazing view I mean it was great. The staff there go above and beyond what is expected. My friends and I went out and Keith Smith (the gentleman that checked us in) had ordered a pizza for us so we wouldn't go to bed hungry. Now where else can you get service like that other than in the Bahamas. Love this hotel and the staff. Will definitely visit again.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Kenya J
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Suites are very roomy, large decks with chairs outside. The couches in the suited are odd, and the decor is quirky but that's what makes it fun. Excellent service, good value. Three pools with one being a pool bar, they are quiet and clean. The hotel is well within walking distance of many restaurants, if your there for a week, you can eat at a different place every day. Hotel restaurant is EXCELLENT and so is the service, just don't be in a hurry...at any restaurant. if you miss home, don't worry, there is a Pizza Hut a Domino's and a subway near by! Great FREE entertainment at Port Lucaya (where all the restaurants are at every night...great RELXASING area, not a lot of night life though, so if your looking for excitement...go to Nassau..there is also a small Casino within walking distance as well.

You will have to take a small boat tat runs 10 before and after the hour to the beach, nice ride..and always on time...and free if you are a guest.

Have fun

• Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank robertvazquez
Reviewed 30 July 2014

The hotel is in a great location. The room is very average. We loved the breakfast which was not included in the price of our stay. On our last morning they turned the water off. This might have been for hotel maintenance but no one warned us. Luckily we had gotten our showers in before it was shut off!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 July 2014

My husband and I traveled back to Grand Bahama, this time with 6 other family members. Our entire trip was absolutely what we were looking for...low key, causal, just easy!! Pelican Bay was just what we were looking for. Casual, quiet, friendly. This hotel does need some aesthetic improvements, but like I said it is what you wish to make it. The staff was very friendly, accommodating to the spoiled American travelers!!! Eleanor, as well as the other staff in the reception area, bar, breakfast, restaurant, etc... were very helpful, fun, and once again very accommodating to all of us. The pool areas were spotless. The evenings by the pool or bar area facing the marina were relaxing. The food at the restaurant was excellent as well as the service.
If you are looking for a sunny place to kick your shoes off, let your hair down, and just breathe this is a must!!!
Thank you to all of the staff for catering to us. You all went above and beyond!! You all made our get away just what we wished for!!
My husband and I will be back very soon!!!

Room Tip: Upgrading to a suite was best for us. We were on the 3rd floor with a nice balcony overlooking the...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family