“Very average”

Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Freeport
Wantage, United Kingdom
“Very average”
Reviewed 20 February 2009

I should have spent more, but didn't know what 4 stars in the Bahamas got you to. Apparently, not much.

The place was not only empty, but deviod of anything.

I did take the complementary ferry though to a beach - worth while.

• Stayed November 2008, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
Seattle
Reviewed 8 February 2009

My girlfriend and I stayed here the week after Christmas and loved this place. We picked this place over the Westin because of the price and glad we did. Despite the hotel being set back from the beach, it does sit on it's own small penninsula on the inner harbor where the ferry leaves for Taino beach and where all the boats go for the dolphin, snorkeling & diving excursions... not too mention some nice yachts parked there. They are doing some construction at the entrance adding a building for a conference center but it was shut down for the holidays... even if they were working, I'm sure it would be during the day and not a problem.
We originally booked a regular room, but over the course of the fall, the prices dropped twice so we upgraded to a suite at less than the price on the room when we originally made reservations! I think it was due to the economy, but they made the changes, no questions asked... We ended up with a great view of the harbor. The staff was very friendly for our entire stay.
There were a few negatives but not bad enough to us to drop the review down. The staff at the Sabor Restaurant were less than enthused with the tourists. Not to say don't eat there, although they music can be annoying, the food was good. They just take every advantage of the mantatory 15% tip included in the bill.
The other minor negatives was that the living area furniture was not too appealing... but we spent 90% of our time outside so it didn't really matter. The shower was a nightmare to figure out, once I did it was fine. And the door had to be pushed hard to shut and latch which I quickly learned
Everything is a five minute walk,so save the money for the touristy activities and stay here. They even tell you up front how to take the path to the 'Westin' beach which is open for everyone. Make sure you get a ferry pass for the Taino beach and check out the grotto bar for you beverages ;) It was less packed than the Westin beach which wasn't really that bad.

• Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 5 January 2009

Pelican Bay is very nice -- clean, quiet, and close to Port Lucaya. The hotel staff were friendly and nice. However, the woman at the Sabor restaurant was not so nice and couldn't find me salt when I requested it for my meal. Also the loud throbbing music was annoying - we had to sit outside by the bar/poolside because we didn't have reservations for the indoor dining room.

Our room was a good size and near the end of the building, close to the waterway. As I said, it was quiet, except for loud party boats that passed by occasionally in the inlet. We hardly saw any other guests during our stay, even out by the pools - it was as if we had the place all to ourselves. We would have liked to have had a loveseat or couch in the room -- there seemed to be room enough. There was a fridge and coffeemaker, but no microwave. The breakfast was ok, (coffee, juice, cold cereal, bagels, muffins, instant oatmeal and grits, boiled eggs) but could have been better since this is categorized as a 'boutique hotel' on their website. Also, there were only about four tables to sit at, so the last morning we had to share a table with an elderly woman, while others sat on the embankment or steps.

There are three pools at the property, so none seem crowded or busy. Only one of these is heated however. Oasis Pharmacy in Port Lucaya had water and snacks for sale and City Market grocery is only a mile or two down the road. The scooter rental place is practically next door. The internet room only has two computers and these do NOT have Adobe acrobat, so we were unable to research activities like the Ecotours. Also, we had to wait a few times for others to leave so we could check our email. We did try paying for internet access in the room, but were unable to log in, so we cancelled that.. We will probably upgrade to a suite if we return.

• Liked — quiet most of the time and friendly hotel staff
  • Disliked — loud party boats passing by and could improve on the breakfast
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Kocickasmom
Boyce, VA
Reviewed 25 December 2008

Have stayed here twice. Great location, great rooms, and the staff is excellent. The Bellman (wish I could remember his name) can give you great info on where to go,eat,etc. I would recommend this property and not hesitate to stay here again

• Liked — Great rooms and location
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank boycebrent
Herts
Reviewed 21 December 2008

I stayed here for five days for a diving course at Sunn Odyssey.
Room are expensive: I organised it through eBookers.com, and paid £87/$130 a night for what I expected was a decent hotel. Rack rate is $130 a night, so no discount through ebookers.com. Since I was alone the price seems high, but I suppose this price for two isn't breaking the bank. Mind you, Hilton Garden Inn US rack rate is the same and the standard is better!

The Location
It’s at Lucaya, where the Westin and Sheraton are, which is to the east of Freeport. Lucaya seems to be the only place with any life. Freeport itself is called Downtown and is mainly for the locals. When the cruise ships come in to Freeport the tourists all go to Lucaya as there isn’t anything in Freeport. There are lots of reasonable cafes and restaurants there, with the usual T shirt stalls, but even then it’s not massive. It seems that Freeport was built in the fifties to get the cruise ships in, then Lucaya was a swamp that they turned into waterways with hotels and boat berths in the sixties. They are struggling at the minute since the tourist trade is down, but they get more cruise ships into Nassau, even though that island is smaller.
There’s a reasonable beach at Lucaya, and a water taxi to Taino beach which is supposed to be better. Snorkelling at Lucaya is rubbish: It’s sand and weed beds, but there’s a few watersports are there.

The Hotel
None of the rooms face the sun, so although they have a patio you can’t sunbathe on them. I suppose that keeps them cooler in the summer. It’s about five minutes walk to the beach, so not too far. Mind you, the 15-20 mph onshore winds meant you couldn’t swim or do any water sports. They have three small pools, but nothing special. For breakfast there is a complimentary continental breakfast, but don’t go too late or most of it will be gone! I also noticed some of the butter was made in 2006, so let’s hope it’s been in a good fridge since then!
The first room I was given was pokey and dingy, on the ground floor facing an enclosed bit of lawn, with MFI-style furniture that was the cheapest they could buy. The floor was filthy, tiles that hadn’t been washed. My socks were filthy just walking on it. Two of the lamps didn’t work, one didn’t even have a bulb! I asked them to wash the floor the next morning and they ‘upgraded’ me for free, to a nicer room on the third floor looking out over the channel the boats go up to the harbour. This one had been refurbished and was much nicer, but the tile floor was still dirty and never got washed in the 5 days I was there, despite me asking. They ended up with dirty towels when I washed the dirt off my feet instead.

There was a coffeemaker in the room, but there was no creamer, no stirrers, until I saw the cleaner. Mind you, that day she tucked the sheet on the bed down as if it was a bottom sheet instead of a top sheet, so I don’t know what she was thinking. She didn't take the hint when I said the floor was dirty and needed washing either.

And the TV had half the channels showing a very red cast. They couldn't fix it themselves, probably a network fault but that never got fixed either!

Everyone was nice enough in the hotel and out of it, but it was expensive and poor service. The Sheraton was twice the price though.
All in all, the diving was great, with only two of us doing the PADI course at Sunn Odyssey, but I wouldn’t go back to the location again. The Tamarind Cove at Barbados was much better both for value, room quality, service and snorkelling.

• Liked — Nothing really special: suited my purpose of a bed for the night.
  • Disliked — Cleanliness of the floors
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled solo
2 Thank Ian_and_Mary
pcbgirl0806
Reviewed 14 December 2008

I booked a Superior King Room online directly with Pelican Bay. The room was large but a bit "tired" from the climate and useage. The suites looked nicer and newer, but I'm not sure they're worth a $100+ more/night. The staff were VERY nice, though. The business center, accessed with the room key, is in room 137. There is a continental breakfast daily at one of the small pools...toast, cold cuts and juice. The oranges displayed in the glass jars had mold on them. You can get beach towels at the front desk...also remember to get a safe key when you check in. There is a Starbucks across the street in the Westin, which also has an ATM that dispenses US dollars (vs Bahamian dollars, though they are treated as equivalent in town). Zorba's is a good, inexpensive place for Greek and Bahamian food. I booked ahead for some dive trips with UNEXSO...they are a large retail outlet that does multiple trips (to include swimming with dolphins), so be prepared for a bit of annoyance while checking in with everyone else. The shark dive was cancelled because of weather, but I would say to book on arrive AFTER looking at the weather. They reimburse you for your advance booking ONLY if they cancel (I lost $89 because I chose not to go out the last morning in 4-6 foot seas.) Overall, Freeport is a tourist destination...would recommend going elsewhere unless you got a good deal online. The pre-clearance for US citizens at the airport is nice, though (saves you from having to go thru customs on arrival in your US airport).

• Liked — Convenient location to UNEXSO dive operation and local shops.
  • Disliked — Tired, worn out rooms.
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled solo
1 Thank pcbgirl0806
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 20 November 2008

This hotel is quaint and a good value for the dollar. The pros: friendly staff, free breakfast, refrigerator in room, clean, full balcony, nice pools, good on site restaurant/bar, nice views, close to UNEXSO, shopping and beaches. The cons: mattresses were uncomfortable, in room safe didn't work, not a lot going on.

I'd stay there again - the beaches are so close it's really a non issue. To save money, bring a soft cooler and buy beer or booze at the liquor store in the shopping area across the street. You can drink at the beach or in your rooms and save lots of money.

• Liked — clean, friendly staff, refrigerator in room, full balcony, wifi, close to beaches, dining, casino, etc.
  • Disliked — not much going on, mattresses were uncomfortable, in room safe didn't work
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Freeport
Bell Channel Inn
Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach
Old Bahama Bay
Old Bahama Bay
#1 of 1 in West End

Been to Pelican Bay at Lucaya? Share your experiences!