“I want to go back, it was wonderful” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Pelican Bay at Lucaya

Pelican Bay at Lucaya
Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Freeport
“I want to go back, it was wonderful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2009

It was just what we wanted; a quaint place, clean, friendly and efficient staff, close to everything, yet you can find quiet solitude if you want it. Many restaurant styles to choose from and quaint shops within 5 minute walking distance. Casino, beach and spa across the way. Dolphin encounters within a 15 minute boat ride. All types of water tours within a 5 minute walk from the premises. Watch the sun set and beautiful boats pass, right from the premises.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
nyc
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2009

just returned from a 4 night stay at Pelican Bay; most staff (with the exception of the front desk check in staff member, Karen) were lovely and friendly. the room decor needs updating badly and rooms are large, but bare of furniture. if you want a basic, pleasant place to stay with very little in the way of amenities, this is your hotel. the boat to Taino beach was easy to use and the facilities there were lovely including a gorgeous beach and large, winding infinity pool.

at Pelican Bay, you can hear the other customers in rooms with connecting doors as if they were your own roommates which can make it noisy at times.

the hotel is a low rise with a lovely tropical feel directly across the street from the Port Lucayan marketplace which has shops and restaurants. i would highly recommend Pices and Agave as two wonderful restaurants. the hotel has no shops of its' own whatsoever.

while my friends and i had a pleasant enough stay, you need to come prepared to entertain yourself if you need to. this is a basic and pleasant type of accomodation.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
mlm610, Public Relations Manager at Pelican Bay at Lucaya, responded to this review, 27 February 2009
Dear Renee,

Thank you very much for your Trip Advisor posting. We value and appreciate your feedback on our hotel.

I'm pleased to advise that a facelift of the interior of our hotel rooms is in process and will be completed over the next few months. We will have new comforters, drapes and wall pictures and area rugs ...

Grand Bahama Island boasts myriad soft adventure experiences ranging from Paradise Cove for snorkelling to the Dolphin Experience... Pelican Bay also offers a live band on Saturday nights.

Again, we value your comments and thank you ...

Hotel Management
Wantage, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2009

I should have spent more, but didn't know what 4 stars in the Bahamas got you to. Apparently, not much.

The place was not only empty, but deviod of anything.

I did take the complementary ferry though to a beach - worth while.

• Stayed November 2008, travelled on business
Seattle
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2009

My girlfriend and I stayed here the week after Christmas and loved this place. We picked this place over the Westin because of the price and glad we did. Despite the hotel being set back from the beach, it does sit on it's own small penninsula on the inner harbor where the ferry leaves for Taino beach and where all the boats go for the dolphin, snorkeling & diving excursions... not too mention some nice yachts parked there. They are doing some construction at the entrance adding a building for a conference center but it was shut down for the holidays... even if they were working, I'm sure it would be during the day and not a problem.
We originally booked a regular room, but over the course of the fall, the prices dropped twice so we upgraded to a suite at less than the price on the room when we originally made reservations! I think it was due to the economy, but they made the changes, no questions asked... We ended up with a great view of the harbor. The staff was very friendly for our entire stay.
There were a few negatives but not bad enough to us to drop the review down. The staff at the Sabor Restaurant were less than enthused with the tourists. Not to say don't eat there, although they music can be annoying, the food was good. They just take every advantage of the mantatory 15% tip included in the bill.
The other minor negatives was that the living area furniture was not too appealing... but we spent 90% of our time outside so it didn't really matter. The shower was a nightmare to figure out, once I did it was fine. And the door had to be pushed hard to shut and latch which I quickly learned
Everything is a five minute walk,so save the money for the touristy activities and stay here. They even tell you up front how to take the path to the 'Westin' beach which is open for everyone. Make sure you get a ferry pass for the Taino beach and check out the grotto bar for you beverages ;) It was less packed than the Westin beach which wasn't really that bad.

• Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2009

Pelican Bay is very nice -- clean, quiet, and close to Port Lucaya. The hotel staff were friendly and nice. However, the woman at the Sabor restaurant was not so nice and couldn't find me salt when I requested it for my meal. Also the loud throbbing music was annoying - we had to sit outside by the bar/poolside because we didn't have reservations for the indoor dining room.

Our room was a good size and near the end of the building, close to the waterway. As I said, it was quiet, except for loud party boats that passed by occasionally in the inlet. We hardly saw any other guests during our stay, even out by the pools - it was as if we had the place all to ourselves. We would have liked to have had a loveseat or couch in the room -- there seemed to be room enough. There was a fridge and coffeemaker, but no microwave. The breakfast was ok, (coffee, juice, cold cereal, bagels, muffins, instant oatmeal and grits, boiled eggs) but could have been better since this is categorized as a 'boutique hotel' on their website. Also, there were only about four tables to sit at, so the last morning we had to share a table with an elderly woman, while others sat on the embankment or steps.

There are three pools at the property, so none seem crowded or busy. Only one of these is heated however. Oasis Pharmacy in Port Lucaya had water and snacks for sale and City Market grocery is only a mile or two down the road. The scooter rental place is practically next door. The internet room only has two computers and these do NOT have Adobe acrobat, so we were unable to research activities like the Ecotours. Also, we had to wait a few times for others to leave so we could check our email. We did try paying for internet access in the room, but were unable to log in, so we cancelled that.. We will probably upgrade to a suite if we return.

• Liked — quiet most of the time and friendly hotel staff
  • Disliked — loud party boats passing by and could improve on the breakfast
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank Kocickasmom
Boyce, VA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 December 2008

Have stayed here twice. Great location, great rooms, and the staff is excellent. The Bellman (wish I could remember his name) can give you great info on where to go,eat,etc. I would recommend this property and not hesitate to stay here again

• Liked — Great rooms and location
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank boycebrent
Herts
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2008

I stayed here for five days for a diving course at Sunn Odyssey.
Room are expensive: I organised it through eBookers.com, and paid £87/$130 a night for what I expected was a decent hotel. Rack rate is $130 a night, so no discount through ebookers.com. Since I was alone the price seems high, but I suppose this price for two isn't breaking the bank. Mind you, Hilton Garden Inn US rack rate is the same and the standard is better!

The Location
It’s at Lucaya, where the Westin and Sheraton are, which is to the east of Freeport. Lucaya seems to be the only place with any life. Freeport itself is called Downtown and is mainly for the locals. When the cruise ships come in to Freeport the tourists all go to Lucaya as there isn’t anything in Freeport. There are lots of reasonable cafes and restaurants there, with the usual T shirt stalls, but even then it’s not massive. It seems that Freeport was built in the fifties to get the cruise ships in, then Lucaya was a swamp that they turned into waterways with hotels and boat berths in the sixties. They are struggling at the minute since the tourist trade is down, but they get more cruise ships into Nassau, even though that island is smaller.
There’s a reasonable beach at Lucaya, and a water taxi to Taino beach which is supposed to be better. Snorkelling at Lucaya is rubbish: It’s sand and weed beds, but there’s a few watersports are there.

The Hotel
None of the rooms face the sun, so although they have a patio you can’t sunbathe on them. I suppose that keeps them cooler in the summer. It’s about five minutes walk to the beach, so not too far. Mind you, the 15-20 mph onshore winds meant you couldn’t swim or do any water sports. They have three small pools, but nothing special. For breakfast there is a complimentary continental breakfast, but don’t go too late or most of it will be gone! I also noticed some of the butter was made in 2006, so let’s hope it’s been in a good fridge since then!
The first room I was given was pokey and dingy, on the ground floor facing an enclosed bit of lawn, with MFI-style furniture that was the cheapest they could buy. The floor was filthy, tiles that hadn’t been washed. My socks were filthy just walking on it. Two of the lamps didn’t work, one didn’t even have a bulb! I asked them to wash the floor the next morning and they ‘upgraded’ me for free, to a nicer room on the third floor looking out over the channel the boats go up to the harbour. This one had been refurbished and was much nicer, but the tile floor was still dirty and never got washed in the 5 days I was there, despite me asking. They ended up with dirty towels when I washed the dirt off my feet instead.

There was a coffeemaker in the room, but there was no creamer, no stirrers, until I saw the cleaner. Mind you, that day she tucked the sheet on the bed down as if it was a bottom sheet instead of a top sheet, so I don’t know what she was thinking. She didn't take the hint when I said the floor was dirty and needed washing either.

And the TV had half the channels showing a very red cast. They couldn't fix it themselves, probably a network fault but that never got fixed either!

Everyone was nice enough in the hotel and out of it, but it was expensive and poor service. The Sheraton was twice the price though.
All in all, the diving was great, with only two of us doing the PADI course at Sunn Odyssey, but I wouldn’t go back to the location again. The Tamarind Cove at Barbados was much better both for value, room quality, service and snorkelling.

• Liked — Nothing really special: suited my purpose of a bed for the night.
  • Disliked — Cleanliness of the floors
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Ian_and_Mary
Also consider these accommodations in or near Freeport
Flamingo Bay Hotel & Marina
3.0 of 5 bubbles 1,208 reviews
Old Bahama Bay
Old Bahama Bay
#1 of 1 in West End

Been to Pelican Bay at Lucaya? Share your experiences!