I was extremely disappointed with my stay at Pelican Bay. Other reviewers raved about it, but I found the service to be extremely poor. I will start with the positives, however. The suites are very spacious and it is nice to have a living room, balcony and kitchenette as well as the bedroom. The view is beautiful. The pools and hot tub are well maintained.
The chaise lounges are extremely comfortable at one pool, by the restaurant; the other lounges are quite uncomfortable. When we arrived for check in on 12/30/09 at 1pm we were told that check in was at 3pm so we took a walk and got some lunch. When we returned at 3pm the room was still not ready and we were not give a room until 5 pm with no apologies other than "we are very busy". We had requested a king size bed and the bed was extremely high off the ground and not to our liking. We switched the next day to a different room. I accidently left a few personal items in the old room, and when I contacted the front desk about it, they told me that they were "lost". After repeated calls to the front desk and security I was reunited with my items 18 hours after they had been found.(I know this because the bag that they were in was marked with the date and time!) The hotel knew who had been in the room, and where I had been moved to. Why should it take 18 hours to return my belongings?
The room we were given had four missing lightbulbs and two burnt out lightbulbs. The toilet seat is loose and wobbly and the light above the tub is filled with dead insects. I requested a wake-up call one morning when we had arranged for a safari jeep tour. No wake-up call. When I asked the front desk why I was not called, they just shrugged. Again, no apologies. I decided that I needed an alarm clock for future early risings because the one in the room was broken. It took four phone calls to achieve this. At one point they had the nerve to tell me that they had already changed out the clock and argued with me about it! The beds are reasonably comfortable, but the living room sofa and chair are at least 15 years old and sag to the ground. My back hurts after sitting on the furniture after just a short while.
When I inquired about nearby restaurants and asked to see menus, the front desk was able to give me exactly one menu, despite the fact that there are at least 20 restaurants nearby. Why would they not have menus for their guests to look over?
The hotel urges its guests to borrow a DVD player and DVD's. On the last day of our visit the weather was very cold, so I decided to do so. I was told that for 187 rooms, they had 5 DVD players and four of them were broken.
The business center has two computers. The monitor on one of them is so old you can hardly read your email.
It is clear to me that the management of this hotel is extremely poor. So many of my complaints could have been handled if the staff were even slightly proactive and customer friendly.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- As Grand Bahama Island's most hospitable hotel, the Pelican Bay is a joyful mix of colorful Bahamian architecture and the finest guest service in the Caribbean. Unique waterside rooms and waterside state rooms enfold you in comfort, while offering special guest touches. Renowned standards of hospitality and attention to guest happiness assure you of a memorable stay in the Bahamas.Part of the Pelican Bay experience is located within steps of your room. In addition to our waterfront Sabor Restaurant and Bar, more than 30 restaurants, bars, shops, live entertainment, the Dolphin Experience, scuba diving, snorkeling, and deep-sea fishing trips are a short stroll away.Immediately across the street are two miles of white sand beach, a full service spa, four "Grand Slam" surface tennis courts and a casino. All this is the happy Pelican Bay experience, one you will remember with fondness. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Expedia, Ebookers, HotelsClick, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Pelican Bay at Lucaya reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Pelican Bay At Lucaya Hotel Freeport
- Pelican Bay At Lucaya Freeport
- Pelican Bay Lucaya
- Pelican Bay At Lucaya Bahamas/Freeport, Grand Bahama Island