“Good value, lots of charm” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Bell Channel Inn
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Freeport
St. Catharines, Canada
“Good value, lots of charm”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2014

My 4 rating takes in the convenient and well-run restaurant, prompt attention to requests, relaxed and friendly folks. Danish owner has been here 20 years. Well-kept if not spiffy new. It's a 20 minutes walk to amenities of Port Lucaya, Lucaya Beach, the Casino with USD ATM. Right next door is REdbeard's tavern run by Canadian. Good conch fritters and guava duff.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank QuakerRose
BellChannelInn, Public Relations Manager at Bell Channel Inn, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Dear QuakerRose,

Thank you so much for staying with us on your visit to Freeport! We are so happy that you had a great stay! Thank you so much for your detailed review! Also, thank you for mentioning the cleanliness of our hotel. Our staff go above and beyond to ensure that our hotel is well kept. I love that you took the time to try our local dishes. Please come back soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Valley Stream, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2014

My family and I had a relaxing and restful time at the Bell Channel Inn. The food in the Restaurant Upstairs was also very good. In the evenings, we loved having drinks at the Bar in the restaurant upstairs, the cocktails were yummy, conversations were good and prices were Great! The BCI is also located close to shopping and beautiful beaches, we could walk there! It was a 10 minute walk. And we visited several beautiful beaches that were only a 10-15 minute bus/taxi ride away. But the best part was our Hostess Genie. She suggested places to go for beaches, shopping, eating, sight seeing. She made sure that we were enjoying ourselves the whole trip.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Yvette44
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2014

I recently stayed at the Bell Channel Inn for the second time. If you are a diver, this is the place to stay. The family run dive shop is on the premises and the dive boat leaves from a dock in back of the inn. The Upstairs, a restaurant/bar, is, as the name suggests, upstairs. The food is good and reasonably priced. The inn is older but well maintained. It is a bit of a walk to Taino Beach but I did it daily. The staff is friendly and kind.
If you don't want to walk, I'd rent a car. The two "don't miss" things on this island to me are Gold Rock Beach and The Garden of The Groves. Both are far enough out there that you need a car or a tour bus. The front desk will arrange whatever you want to see or do.
This is not a resort, but it is reasonably priced nice place with a first rate staff. The next time I go to Grand Bahama Island this is where I will stay.
Do yourself a favor and go out to the unspoiled eastern parts of the island, using the BCI as a base of operations is a good way to go.

Room Tip: All rooms have a view down the channel.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Edward F
Oxford, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2014

I wanted to stay for one week at a smaller hotel connected to a diving operation on Grand Bahamas, which is quieter than Nassau. I selected The Bell Channel Inn and Caribbean Diving because of BCI's webpage. When you have 10 different nations represented on any given weekend and staff members who've worked there more than 15 years, something special is going on. The hotel, the view from my balcony, the staff and the diving were outstanding. I stayed from 12/21-12/28, and four different women who work there invited me into their homes to celebrate Christmas with their families. Now THAT is Grace. I went diving instead. The Dive Masters are rock solid, and I learned that I was born to dive coral reefs. I will be back at BCI in 2014, probably with several friends in tow.

Room Tip: All 32 rooms face the pool and the channel. I prefer not to be on the ground floor myself so I reque...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
5 Thank Cheryl H
BellChannelInn, Public Relations Manager at Bell Channel Inn, responded to this review, 22 June 2014
Dear Cheryl H,

Thank you for your heartfelt review. It was a pleasure having you stay with us and you definitely left a lasting impression on our staff!

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon to Bell Channel Inn - where we treat you like family!

Warm regards,
S. Stuart
Ljubljana, Slovenia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2013

We stayed here for a week. The place itself is nice (big rooms, swimming pool), but it's too far away from a decent beach. Therefore you need a taxi. If you want to go shopping, a taxi again. So, we ended up renting a car. And that you should go! That way you get something out of the island. Go to Gold Rock Beach and Paradise Cove. Stop in one of the villages and buy a fresh conch salad. Be a liittle bit independent. And get ready for high prices! It's not a badi dea to bring some basic food with you if you are an independent traveller. We've been to many places around this globe, but the prices here are just enormous.
We went diving with the diving center located at the hotel. It was good, not excellent.

Room Tip: Overlooking the pier
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank bosnic_belkisa
Dear bosnic_belkisa,

Thank you for your review, we are glad that you liked the hotel and your room.

Bell Channel Inn is located across the channel from Port Lucaya, the market place and are within walking distance to one of Grand Bahama's popular beaches and offer a shuttle to another beach as well. But you are right, if you are looking for a more quiet and undisturbed beach, you can only get access to these if you rent a car or go on one of the tours that we offer, as these secluded beaches (i.e. Gold Rock Beach)are located away from all the hotels. Actually, there is only 1 hotel that is closer to Gold Rock Beach than we are, and that's an all inclusive resort.

We hope to see you back again soon!

Best regards,
S. Stuart
Ocoee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Bell Channel Inn on Aug 13 - 15 which was the hotel chosen as part of a 5th Avenue Vacation package. No this is not a hotel that I would have chosen; however, since it was a part of the package my husband and I decided to go with what was offered. The hotel is a much older establishment and definitely on the lower end for affordable cost, however, I must say the staff kept it clean, Genie was wonderful. She went out of her way to make sure we were informed of all the excursions, arranged for transportation and even accompanied us to the Bonfire event. the hotel was within walking distance to Port Lacaya market the main hub in Freeport. However if too hot to walk, you could catch the bus for $1.25 as opposed to a taxi for $6-$10. If you are one of those who wants all the whistles and bells that come with the 4 or 5 star hotels, the Bell Channel is not for you. If you want something on the cheaper end of the scale, friendly staff, close to Port Lacaya then give Bell Channel a try. The staff went out of their way to make our stay with them both enjoyable and pleasant.
thank you Genie for making our stay at the Bell Channel a great one.

Room Tip: Room next to the office, had a new bed with thick mattress, AC was a little noisey, but the room has...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

2 Thank patientp
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2013

The people were very friendly and accommodating. The prices for all the excursions were cheaper through them than any other hotel or the cruise boat we came in on. The upstairs restraint was pretty descent food (there French Toast with fresh coconut was the best meal I had my entire trip). The scuba dive people in there parking lot were really cool. It was my first dive and they made it an awesome experience and even allowed me to go on another dive because I had done so well. After the dive they even showed us around the island and took us to a local bar so we didn't have to pay a taxi. The only 2 issues were you either had to walk 15 minutes to get anywhere or pay 8 bucks for a taxi to get to the market. And the water pressure in the shower was horrible. But I really felt I got great value for my money would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank sagusam13
BellChannelInn, Guest Relations Manager at Bell Channel Inn, responded to this review, 29 August 2014
sagusam13

Thank you for your honest review. We are happy to hear that you found our staff as helpful and friendly as we do. You are right that our excursions prices are set at a good price. The French Toast with coconut is one of our most popular breakfast dishes and it is great to hear you enjoyed it. We are also pleased that you had a good time with “Caribbean Divers” our in house dive operation. It is our goal for our guest to have a great time. We are sorry that the water pressure in the shower was not up to standard. We have made a lot of renovations since your visit. When something like that happens, please come to the front desk or call we would have repaired it right away or changed your room.

We hope to see you again soon
Seleana