“Lolita stole from us and the resort is a rip-off”

Ocean Reef Yacht Club & Resort
Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in Freeport
“Lolita stole from us and the resort is a rip-off”
Reviewed 31 October 2012

Location is terrilbe. Have to take shittle to beach. Mosquitoes and bugs plentiful. Sales reps are dishonest. Resort is run down. The sales rep used questionable methods to try to get me to buy a time share. Lolita promises money to listen to a sales tour of the resort and will take you by the grocery store to let you get groceries. Then she will keep some of the groceries in her van while helping to bring them in for you. The whole experience was bad and not worth the gifts you receive to compensate you for your time. They lie to you and tell you that they have just signed up people who had time shares at other resorts and switched. This tesort is aweful. If you want a nice beach-front resort, I suggest Island Seas Resort just around the corner.

• Stayed October 2012
8 Thank Mamahopps

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 21 October 2012

I love it here-have been twice and plan to go several more times, including my wedding next year. It is truly like coming home-the staff and everyone know you and go out of their way to make everything great. It's not just another chain hotel or all-inclusive resort that just feels American in a foreign place-it definitely has a relaxed, Island vibe and it feels like you are experiencing a more Bahamian way of life. The accommodations and amenities are sufficient and comfortable, I've never had a problem. There are not a bunch of activities and it is off the beaten path which I like-not too commercial or "Dirty Dancing". The food was better than I remembered but still your typical hotel food. Massage at the spa was GREAT. Transportation from Hayworth is clean and efficient, best on the island. They also have bikes you can rent for $5, free for members (again not top of the line but they get you there) and most of the attractions are really not a long bike ride away. And yes, the restaurant service can be slow but it is the Caribbean-everything is slower and laid back. If you don't like that, go to another destination. If you don't want to eat there, there is everything you need to cook (and yes groceries are expensive, but again, it's an island). Bottom line: If you are looking for a cozy, authentic place to stay on Grand Bahama and you want staff who really know who you are, then come here. if you are looking for swank don't come here (although they are remodeling the rooms, I saw some this time and they look great-neutral warm colors, stainless steel appliances, granite countertops etc), also if you are looking for a ton of activities and the American fast paced life, go to Florida.
Also, I like the cats a lot.

Room Tip: They seem to be renovating the one and two bedroom suites first.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Angela C
Tel Aviv
Reviewed 27 August 2012

This is our second trip to the island and to the hotel. Last one was 5 years ago. I agree with previous reviews that the 3 and 2 bdr town houses are in deteriorated shape.
However we stayed in a 3 bdr penthouse in the main building and the stay was great.
We also enjoyed using again Fred's and Melinda diving service which is located conveniently in the compound. We find the place friendly and enjoyable.

3 Thank kobiK
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 20 August 2012

When we arrive to the resort I was so excited to finally be on a well deserved and much needed vacation. I was ready to relax and enjoy 6-7 days of my vacation. Needless to say, that ended in 10 minutes, after arriving to this property. I heard a noise that sounded like a cat. Well I look down and saw 3 very large cats, stretching and looking scary. I scream and almost passed out. The last thing I was expecting to see was large cats on a resort. The people that worked at the resort had the nerves to look at me as if I was crazy. They never tried to get the cats away. My husband had to put down the luggage and try to move the cats alone the way. I knew this was not going to be good. I have never gone to a resort and they had cats at the resort as if this was where they were supposed to be.

When we got to our 2 bedroom townhouse, there were 3 large lizards with no tails running around the room, like it was there play house. So, I scream “OMG, first cats and now 3 lizards with no tails running around the room”. So we had to moved to the next room which had the hardest bed I have ever seen in my life. It was a mattress on a wood box they built. It was so low to the ground a 2 year old baby could climb in the bed with no assistance. I called the over 2 days telling them about the lizards and cats. No one ever came over to the room to try and get the lizards out the room. Then, when I opened up the curtain, there was a big lizard with a tail curled up like a baby monkey. So I woke up the very next day, I woke up and my husband and I could not walk, we were in so much pain from that hard bed. I went straight down to the office. As soon as I got near the office all 3 cats were sitting there, as if they were supposed to be there. I complained and they moved us to the second floor in a suite.

I explained to the office manager that no one comes on vacation to be afraid to go to the pool or walked around because of cats and lizards everywhere. Once, I got off the elevator, my husband and I saw a snake and the night manager is crazy. Again, he did not try to assist with getting someone to help get the snake out if the way, he said the cats will eat the snake. He heard me screaming because I was so afraid to run left, the cats were on the left and the snake was on the right. This resort is a night mare. The night manager lives on the property and if he likes cats, he should let them stay in his 2 bedroom town house. The front office act as if the “ cat lovers”, was the one feeding the cats and they keep them coming back, but they have the cats gated in on the property as pets.”Who does that”??????? I saw the night manager every evening , talking cat food out of a plastic bad feeding those cats so much food. I thought he was going to kill them. I did not know you cats could eat so much food at one time. So, the front office already knew the manager was feeding the cats and keeping them there as pets. So the whole time I was there I had to run and stay in my room because I was afraid of all of the things going on at this resort. I contacted RCI to let them know and they told me to send in a comment card via email or snail mail. I was like.” you have got to be kidding me”. I know I am not the only one who is afraid of cats, lizards and snakes.
I know lizards are on all islands but not inside of your room running around like it’s the outside.

3 Thank V F

Travellers are raving about these Freeport hotels

Hillsborough, North Carolina
Reviewed 5 August 2012

This is our second trip to Grand Bahama Island and we stayed here at the ORYC 10 years ago. At the time, the three story condo complex was brand new. I'm not sure if they have done much maintenance since, but it is in desparate need of repaire.

If you are coming down from the US and you want to cook a few dinners, you should pack and bring your own meats. The groceries here on the island are very expensive and the meats will not be up to the standards you are used to in the US.

If you are bringing steaks, don't plan to grill them - they have some charcoal grills at the resort, but charcoal on the island is very expensive and they don't have starter fluid (that we could find).

The water supply in our condo is very slow (a trickle much of the time in the kitchen) and the hot water takes forever to get warm - I haven't gotten hot water yet.

Plan your vacation and try to rent a car. The cars available at the resort are older and not well maintained, so it might be worth the difference in price to rent from the airport. If you stay here you will need a car for everything unless you want to spend a lot for taxies.

2 Thank Kelley I
Springfield, Illinois
Reviewed 11 July 2012

We had a three bedroom villa that was in desperate need of renovation or perhaps should have been demolished. We left one rainy day to go explore Gold Rock Beach and came back to soaked pillows on our bed. Every night, we had to clean off the pillows of ceiling rubble as the ceiling was clearly rotten and disintegrating. I was worried it would cave in and didn't have much faith that they had better units to move us to! The sinks were full of beard stubble (none of us shaved while we were there). We were asked about our arrival time prior to the date of arrival and we waited five hours for our room to be ready. They desperately wanted us to come to the orientation and got very angry when we weren't responsive. This place was so disgusting that I considered paying for a week's stay somewhere else. I sure didn't want to go to a presentation to hear them try to sell us on Ocean Reef! After this trip, I have decided to stop the timeshare trades with RCI! Very gross and very disappointing!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
7 Thank Dymt
Dover, New Hampshire
Reviewed 8 July 2012

I just got home from staying here last week. The resort itself appears to be getting a face lift. Our room was nice and relaxed but the beds were TERRIBLE. Both my husband and I have terrible back pain from them still. The pools are less to be desired, both are very hot and hardly cool you down and have damage in them. Groupers grill's food is sub par. I got sick one night from some of their fish, and the prices weren't worth it. Happy hour is decent, drinks are strong. The staff is friendly and willing to help, we only had one bad waitress while there, but never returned to the restaurant after I got sick. The resort is about 3/4 mile from a beach, which doesn't offer any chair or umbrella rentals, so if you have young ones and need shade you will need to bring your own. The resort did offer a lot of activities and transportation to the grocery store, but all the activities were very "touristy" so we chose to do none of them and all were HIGH in price. You can rent a car and do your own exploring for the 1/4 of the cost you would have to pay to do trips with the hotel. Overall I wouldn't return to this resort but gave it three stars because the staff was pleasant and besides the beds, the rooms were very nice.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family